Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airline/Airport/Travel questions and queries

Options
19495969798100»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,378 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Just booked Ryanair flights from Shannon to London and the flight out is with "Ryanair UK"

I assume this is a way to screw me of EU cancellation rights. Would I be right ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,392 ✭✭✭VG31

EU air passenger rights apply:

• If your flight is within the EU and is operated either by an EU or a non-EU airline
    • If your flight arrives in the EU from outside the EU and is operated by an EU airline
    • If your flight departs from the EU to a non-EU country operated by an EU or a non-EU airline
    • If you have not already received benefits (compensation, re-routing, assistance from the airline) for flight related problems for this journey under the relevant law of a non-EU country.

The UK have pretty much the same thing anyway so it doesn't make any difference.

https://www.flightright.co.uk/your-rights/air-passenger-rights-brexit

Ryanair UK was created so Ryanair can operate domestic flights in the UK. Just as Emerald Airlines have a UK subsidiary.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,378 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Amazing thanks.

I'm just very sceptical anytime I see Ryanair or post Brexit UK doing anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭x567

Does anyone know whether there’s any prospect of Ireland negotiating to join the Global Entry program for the USA? Have been travelling with some folk that have it and the speed through US immigration and TSA-pre entitlements it gives is really impressive and useful. Would be a boon for Irish passport holders, particularly while EI continue to fail to give TSA-pre to J passengers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Beersmith

What's the benefit of this. If you have an esta you don't need to fill anything out do you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭x567

Not entirely clear as ESTAs are mentioned, but seems like it may be only for US & Canadian passport holders?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Nolimits

I think this is more like answering the kind of questions they'd ask you in preclearence, like anything to declare etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Beersmith

I've barely been asked more than 10secs of questions when I've gone through.

I thought the picture/fingerprints take up the most time and this won't change that.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,699 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I had a lad in the US CBP in Montreal interrogate me about my job as he'd never heard of my job title, which was not in any way esoteric; and then as to why I wasn't bringing my sister that I was staying with any gifts - she's significantly richer than me!

But I was the only person going to the non-US citizen line there and it was a deathly quiet time of day, pretty much only my 50 seat regional jet flight was going out in that time period, so he may have been bored.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Dats_rite

Hi Folks,

Flight from Manchester to Belfast delayed last night. Landed in Belfast 2:59 late but doors didn't open for another 5 minutes pushing it over the 3 hour mark.

Just wondering if I qualify for compensation or is the rules when you touch the ground?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,011 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

It's when the doors open relative to the originally scheduled arrival time. Fill in the form on the Ryanair site, I filled one in on a Friday last year and had the money the next week

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭sterz

Looking to book a holiday in late May/early June and the prices seem to be a lot higher compared to previous years. I get costs have gone up across the board but wasn't expecting to see the increases I'm seeing now. Last year I was able to book a flight four weeks before travelling and the price was reasonable. Do I bite the bullet and book now, or do prices tend the fluctuate a good bit three months beforehand and therefore I could hold off a bit longer?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,901 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

2 Questions for anyone that might be aware;

1 - Do they sell cans of Guinness in Dublin Airport T1? (I’m pretty sure I’ve seen them somewhere (Wrights?))

2 - Do they sell cans of Guinness Nitro-Surge in Dublin Airport T1?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭p_haugh

There's a Guinness store in T2 departures that sells cans (not sure about nitro surge). No clue if there's an equivalent in T1 however!

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭medoc

Just a quick question as it’s been years since I had to pick anyone up at Dublin. Flight arriving into T2 at 5pm Wednesday evening. Am I likely to be able to find a space in the short term so I can go inside to meet them at arrivals? There was never a bother in T1 but that was a good few years ago now. Thanks.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,699 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Almost definitely find spaces at that time.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,901 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Terminal 2 has always been (and probably still is) a ghost town after the morning rush...

Terminal 2's carpark is also quite big (my tip would be to park on level 3 (purple?) as thats the same level as the arrivals floor so no need to use a lift or stairs to get back to teh car from the terminal).

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭medoc

Sound guys. Much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Economics101

I can't find this in the online version of to-day's Irish Times but the lead in the business news section of the print adition is how the DAA has been fined over €10m by the IAA because of dirty toilets etc. OK, so the DAA is State-owned and therefore the shareholder (i.e the taxpayer) is being fined for the DAA's dirty toilets.

But it gets worse. Apparently the "fine" will not be collected as a cash payment, but via a reduction in the DAA;s passenger charge, The immediate beneficiary of this will be the airlines who have to pay lower charges (unless competitive pressures force them to pass on the loower charges in the form of lower fares).

Has anyone seriously thought through the incentives towards cleaner toilets when the DAA is deprived of over €10m of potential toilet-cleaning money?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,920 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

They're not going to go broke over it.

They've already invested in recruiting more staff in security, cleaning etc. and service levels have improved accordingly.

Annoying that the airlines are the beneficiaries of the fine though, it should go to the exchequer.

Life ain't always empty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,952 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

2 questions.

First time in a while travelling with Aer Lingus with children in tow.

I notice now that you cannot prebook your seat and you have to pay to select your seats.

The EI website states that they do their best to seat people together, especially if there are children involved.

So can Aer Lingus really throw us about the place? I am travelling with a 5 and 2 year old. So good luck seating the 2-year-old by himself…

Is there a legal obligation on Aer Lingus here or is it a free-for-all?

Second question.

10kg bag now needs to be checked in and you have to pay to take it on board. But they allow you a handbag or laptop bag. Little details on what constitutes these bags. I have a laptop bag but its also more of a backpack thingy. Would they stop this? Or is it to stop people taking the piss.

EI website not great for the details I must say.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,142 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

You can select seats for free at online check in, but risk that they’re may be a scarcity of seats together like a full row etc.

you maybe have to settle for sitting two together in different seat rows.

You’d really have to be on the button when online check in opens. Set a reminder on your phone etc if you want to get the best options.

You can drop off free check in bags up to 10kg

A small school bag, laptop bag etc that would fit under the seat in front of you on the plane should be no issue

• Registered Users Posts: 13,952 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Thanks for the prompt reply.

Yeah a 2 + 2 seating arrangement is fine we don't all have to be together but I'd rather one of us be next to our children.

Understand too about the bag.

Something, smallish, tidy and dont take the piss.

I think free check in opens 48 hours before departure. Best bet is set a reminder and be ready to do it there and then.
    And don’t forget the same for the return !!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

Hope i'm in the right place here. Is there a site where i can find out the prices of flights from previous years?

Not sure but same as everything else they have gone up! I think it was Michael o Leary has said the days of the ultra cheap flights are over

Advertisement