Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airline/Airport/Travel questions and queries

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

PaulieC wrote: »
    Question about Ryanair and passport names/ticket names. I'm travelling to Manchester on Saturday with my bro-in-law, whose niece booked his ticket as a present. His passport name is James, but known as Jamie, which is the name on the ticket. They are looking for 115 EUR to change it. Is not changing the name something that is likely to cause problems at the gate with it being such a minor difference (I know technically it's a completely different name) ?

Just have to be persistent:

https://medium.com/@philw_/changing-short-names-to-full-or-formal-names-with-ryanair-and-easyjet-2fb7cc994f4

• Registered Users Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭Gatica

you can probably call again and chance it with another phone attendant (or agent? can't think of the word), or ask to talk to their supervisor.
    It's not like it's different names, it's versions of the same name. There were definitely people posting here before who got it changed at no charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭masit

Question about Ryanair and passport names/ticket names. I'm travelling to Manchester on Saturday with my bro-in-law, whose niece booked his ticket as a present. His passport name is James, but known as Jamie, which is the name on the ticket. They are looking for 115 EUR to change it. Is not changing the name something that is likely to cause problems at the gate with it being such a minor difference (I know technically it's a completely different name) ?

Try twitter (if you have an account). I know what people say about Ryanair but any issue I had, I contacted them via twitter and get a reply a few minutes later, issue solved.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭WhatYaSay

Does anyone know if the Aer Lingus seat map when booking transatlantic is a live representation or are they trying to scare you into paying so you're not stuck in the middle?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

I would just turn up and use the ticket, the gate staff never look at it that closely, theyr'e just ensuring you have travel documents and they match the ticket, they're not looking for spelling mistakes.
    It would be pretty poor from if they turned you away from the gate for something like this, Joe Duffy would have a field day with them if they did.
    I'd make them call airport police and hold up the entire queue if they tried to stop me getting on over something like this...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

I would just turn up and use the ticket, the gate staff never look at it that closely, theyr'e just ensuring you have travel documents and they match the ticket, they're not looking for spelling mistakes.
    It would be pretty poor from if they turned you away from the gate for something like this, Joe Duffy would have a field day with them if they did.
    I'd make them call airport police and hold up the entire queue if they tried to stop me getting on over something like this...

This is bad advice, imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

James/Jamie I'd class that as a minor change which should be free.

https://www.ryanair.com/gb/en/useful-info/post-booking-changes/name-changes

Operator might see it as a different name so maybe try more than one and give twitter a try, always helpful there.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭ISOP

I wouldn't worry about it or bother changing the name, my Dad is known by the short variation of his name, and always uses it to book tickets and it is never a problem

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

I have one of those names that can be shortened and have flown several times with the short version, including to the US. It won’t be an issue!

Edit; I see you travelled yesterday. Did you have any issues?

MJohnston wrote: »
    This is bad advice, imo.

I wasn't offering it as advice, I clearly said it's what I would do, others can do as they wish...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,806 ✭✭✭billie1b

Thats the biggest load of bull crap ever, when i’m boarding a flight i’m able to check the details from the pax boarding pass against their passport in about 5 seconds, thats full name, face and expiry date and even say hello/enjoy your flight etc. Might not look like we don’t know what we’re doing or don’t care but we’re so used to it it’s second nature.
    Only the other day I had a bloke who was hiding his expiry date and he was amazed I was still able to tell that his passport was expired by a quick glance without even seeing the expiry date.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,806 ✭✭✭billie1b

I wasn't offering it as advice, I clearly said it's what I would do, others can do as they wish...

Oh and to add for you, you can get Airport Police to the gate but they can’t do anything for you, it’s the gate staff/dispatcher who has the final say about any pax boarding a flight, Airport Police have absolutely no powers regarding any of that.

billie1b wrote: »
    Oh and to add for you, you can get Airport Police to the gate but they can’t do anything for you, it’s the gate staff/dispatcher who has the final say about any pax boarding a flight, Airport Police have absolutely no powers regarding any of that.
    Read what I wrote, why would I need to call the airport police..?
    I'd make you call them if you wanted to remove me from the queue with a valid ticket and valid travel documents...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭trellheim

hi are these opening hours still correct 0630 for USPC ?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Read what I wrote, why would I need to call the airport police..?
    I'd make you call them if you wanted to remove me from the queue with a valid ticket and valid travel documents...

And they would just enforce the airlines wishes ! If you’re refused travel for a document issue it’s tough luck! Like Ryanair requires a passport to fly to the U.K. which in my opinion is ridiculous but that’s their policy! And they can deny you boarding if you show up without one. The airport police won’t do anything to help you

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

trellheim wrote: »
    hi are these opening hours still correct 0630 for USPC ?

They open well in advance of the first flight. I don't think I've ever seen it closed and I've take a lot of very early US flights.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,668 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

With the 8.10 SWF suspended I am not sure if they changed slightly but they will be open by 07.00 anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Hey all. Booked a transatlantic flight with edreams (my mistake I think) because Norwegian had no options due to the max issues. The flight is with Luftanasa but fulfilled by United.

My question is regarding bags. It seems Luftanasa economy light is the fare I'm on, and it has no cabin bags, just a light carry on (8kg). I sort of assumed I'd get a bag because it was a flag carrier. United don't have a no bag fare option for transatlantic as far as I can tell. So can I just bring a bag and they'll check it in for me at the gate like any other economy fare, or should I pay in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭random_banter

Hi all, haven't travelled to the US with Aer Lingus in a few years, or at least since the pricing structure changed. Am booked to go next month and am seeing options to pay for seats at the moment - my question is, when the online check-in opens do you get a choice of free seat selection? Or would you still be asked to pay at that point? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭Gatica

I would presume you get assigned a random seat if you don't pay for it. Those prices look crazy... 89 for a seat?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,076 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Gatica wrote: »
    I would presume you get assigned a random seat if you don't pay for it. Those prices look crazy... 89 for a seat?!

30 for a seat is bonkers let alone 89!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Hi all, haven't travelled to the US with Aer Lingus in a few years, or at least since the pricing structure changed. Am booked to go next month and am seeing options to pay for seats at the moment - my question is, when the online check-in opens do you get a choice of free seat selection? Or would you still be asked to pay at that point? Thanks.
    I flew to the west coast last year with Aer Lingus, and because it was such a long flight I caved and booked a window seat at the cheapest possible price (can't remember what it was now, mabye €30). When I boarded, the plane was half empty, and the vacant seats shown when they were trying to flog the seats bore not the slightest resemblance to the reality - there were loads more empty.

So if and when I fly again, I won't fall for that trick!

I opted for the free seat allocation (or maybe I could pick it? can't remember) on the way home, and still wound up with a window seat.

Won't always work, obviously - but there's some skulduggery involved in that hard sell, I'm convinced!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Gatica wrote: »

You can select a seat for free -30 hours before departure on Aer Lingus as far as I know. They don’t purposely split you up etc. Being polite and friendly with the check in staff can get you a free exit row or front section if available

• Registered Users Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Poochie05

I’m looking at flights to Barcelona. Vuelling has best time but I’ve never flown with them. Anyone offer their experience flying with them?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Poochie05 wrote: »
    I’m looking at flights to Barcelona. Vuelling has best time but I’ve never flown with them. Anyone offer their experience flying with them?
    I flew with them last year (from Ibiza to Barcelona), and a pal of mine flies fairly regularly with them. They're grand, a Spanish version of Ryanair tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,885 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    I flew with them last year (from Ibiza to Barcelona), and a pal of mine flies fairly regularly with them. They're grand, a Spanish version of Ryanair tbh.

a little bit better

a bit more room, actual pockets in seats etc. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭BobbyBobberson

Hi all,

Not sure is the place for random aviation questions but I will go with it. It is probably an obvious question but what happens in the case of slots being allocated such as the below tweet? Do airlines then increase their frequency for example to that airport? Are the slots sold off etc? Would love a tiny bit of info. Thanks

https://twitter.com/SimonCalder/status/1117335419258114049

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Flying from Sydney to Dublin with Emirates next week. I have a 17 hour layover in Dubai. Can someone advise me of two things;

1) Will my bags be checked through onto connecting flight given the long layover?
    2) Do I need a visa to leave the airport and explore Dubai?

Thanks

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,704 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Hi all,

Not sure is the place for random aviation questions but I will go with it. It is probably an obvious question but what happens in the case of slots being allocated such as the below tweet? Do airlines then increase their frequency for example to that airport? Are the slots sold off etc? Would love a tiny bit of info. Thanks

https://twitter.com/SimonCalder/status/1117335419258114049

If an airline hands slots back to the slot coordinator they go to whoever is in the queue for them, with priority given to unserved routes. A few new slots were generated by fiddling with ATC timings a few years ago and went to Vietnam Airways (if I remember right) on that basis.

In this case, they were only leased from Etihad and have been returned to them.

You can also sell slots you own. As far as I know this is done by the buying airline applying for some of the spare slots at useless times and swapping with the selling airline for their good slots then they hand those useless ones back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭steve-o

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Flying from Sydney to Dublin with Emirates next week. I have a 17 hour layover in Dubai. Can someone advise me of two things;

1) Will my bags be checked through onto connecting flight given the long layover?
    2) Do I need a visa to leave the airport and explore Dubai?

Thanks
    Your bags will be checked through, but if you want them you can ask them to "short-check" them. If you have an Irish passport you don't need a visa in advance. Just go through immigration.

Advertisement