Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airline/Airport/Travel questions and queries

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

Hurrache wrote: »
    It's been over a decade since I had pleasure of flying with in flight entertainment provided.

I've a couple of upcoming flights on a
    BA B744 and AA A330 & A321s. What's the deal with headphone sockets, do they still use the proprietary connections, and in flight power sockets, are they USB connections?

It’s not a proprietary connector, it’s a standardised two pin socket and you can buy an adapter pretty commonly https://www.maketecheasier.com/use-own-headphones-in-flight-entertainment/

Some airlines do now have regular connectors. And if you fly with UA out of Dublin many times they have their app based service where you put the UA app on your own device like an iPad, connect to the inflight WiFi and that’s how you get the IFE (no screen in the chair.)

Re power sockets a lot of airlines now provide universal sockets and USB. Best check out SeatGuru for your flight specifically.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,811 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Anyone know if Dublin airport duty free sells boxes of wine?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,810 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Anyone know if Dublin airport duty free sells boxes of wine?

I know they DID and it used to fly off the shelves but a glance at the website is not showing that product listed now.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Savage_Henry

Only the time of your arrival in dublin counts. And only if it was airlines fault. Not weather or airport strike etc. How many hours your arrival in dublin was delayd?
    razorblunt wrote: »
    Hi, I have a question and I'm finding it hard to get the right answer from Google.

Long story, short; I was flying back from the States on Sunday (1 connection in the US, 1 connection in London, 3 flights total) the first leg was delayed by ~2 hours meaning I missed the subsequent 2 connections.

Thankfully, American Airlines were able to reallocate me without much issue but it still resulted in a 5 hour delay.
    I've been chatting to them and they offered 5k points but I have no interest in opening a frequent flyer program with them, I told them this and they've gone off to review (their informality on Twitter is another thing!).

Does anyone know what the usual process is here, should I be entitled to compensation?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Quick question - what time would you want to be in terminal 1 Dublin airport for a ryanair flight with no check in luggage? 2 hrs?

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,392 ✭✭✭VG31

Quick question - what time would you want to be in terminal 1 Dublin airport for a ryanair flight with no check in luggage? 2 hrs?

Thanks

It depends of the time of day. If it's between 5 and 7 am then two hours to be safe. Otherwise 90 minutes is fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Flyer1

What time does the preclearance at Dublin open?

7am on the dot

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Savage_Henry

But they suggest to start queuing earlier

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

But they suggest to start queuing earlier

And I’d recommend doing so

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭Duff

Haven't flown with Ryanair in two years and have a flight Monday with them. I used to bring a wheel cabin bag and a backpack with me, and they would check in my wheeled bag free of charge and I'd bring my backpack on board. Has this now changed? Do I have to pay to check in the wheeled cabin bag? I'm not priority.

Cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

Duff wrote: »
    Haven't flown with Ryanair in two years and have a flight Monday with them. I used to bring a wheel cabin bag and a backpack with me, and they would check in my wheeled bag free of charge and I'd bring my backpack on board. Has this now changed? Do I have to pay to check in the wheeled cabin bag? I'm not priority.
    Cheers.
    Yes it’s €10 each way

Shn99 wrote: »
    Yes it’s €10 each way

Perfect. Thanks for the response.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,076 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Not sure if this is the correct thread but didn't want to start one. Anyone know or think Ryanair will do a 'Brexit' sale? Looking to go to the UK in May so just hanging on to see :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

Perfect. Thanks for the response.

Priority is only 6eur tho and you can bring it on board with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Conor84

Have a flight from Heathrow in May. Am arriving in Terminal 5 after 9pm and ten departing from Terminal 3 the next morning so am looking to book a (cheap) hotel overnight.

I have found a good deal with the Premier Inn Terminal 4. There seems to be a direct walkway from Terminal 4 to the hoteal and that appeals instead of having to get and pay for the Hopper to most of the hotels. I know you can use the trains between the terminals for free but was wondering if any of the hotels are linked or within walking distance from Terminal 5 where I am arriving? Or if anybody has a better recommendation?

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭galvo_clare

Definitely a hotel attached to T5. Stayed there a few years ago but can’t remember the name. It was one of the chains. Quite nice for an airport hotel.

You can also avoid the hopper by taking a normal bus which brings you out onto the perimeter road. You generally have to change there. First bus is free, second bus very cheap with an Oyster card.
    In the morning going back to airport once, the driver refused to charge me.
    It takes a bit of research in advance to know what bus you need but very worthwhile.

Conor84 wrote: »
    Have a flight from Heathrow in May. Am arriving in Terminal 5 after 9pm and ten departing from Terminal 3 the next morning so am looking to book a (cheap) hotel overnight.

I have found a good deal with the Premier Inn Terminal 4. There seems to be a direct walkway from Terminal 4 to the hoteal and that appeals instead of having to get and pay for the Hopper to most of the hotels. I know you can use the trains between the terminals for free but was wondering if any of the hotels are linked or within walking distance from Terminal 5 where I am arriving? Or if anybody has a better recommendation?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭highlydebased

If you get more than one London bus in an hour you'll only be charged one single £1.50 fare no matter how many you take in the hour. Just use your contactless card.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭Phil.x

What's the check in queue like in T2 early may for an early flight.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Phil.x wrote: »

Depends what airline, Aer Lingus have loads of self service bag tag and drop machines which can be nice and quick but always leave extra time to be on the safe side. Aim to check in 2 hours before departure that’s my advice

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭orionm_73

Locker10a wrote: »
    Depends what airline, Aer Lingus have loads of self service bag tag and drop machines which can be nice and quick but always leave extra time to be on the safe side. Aim to check in 2 hours before departure that’s my advice

Can also depend on what day of the week. 2 hrs is good advice. Better to be waiting at the gate than frantically running to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Phil.x wrote: »

You going to the US or not? That also makes a difference because you have to preclear.

On the Dublin Airport app you can usually see security times in real time for either terminal, and on google you can see how busy terminals get at various times. I find T2 to be quite busy between around 6am and 9am. At that stage preclearance is also at it's worst.

Heading to Budapest on Monday. Anyone been who changed Euro into HUF over there recommend where to do it, or should I just keep the Euro on my debit card? I know I'll more than likely get a crap rate if I change it in the airport..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

Heading to Budapest on Monday. Anyone been who changed Euro into HUF over there recommend where to do it, or should I just keep the Euro on my debit card? I know I'll more than likely get a crap rate if I change it in the airport..

Might be too late to get the card, but look into Revolut, no charges for cx conversions! Brilliant for traveling to non € countries

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Use N26 instead, they're not a horrible company like Revolut ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

MJohnston wrote: »
    Use N26 instead, they're not a horrible company like Revolut ;)

What do you mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

• Registered Users Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭Gatica

Just wondering if anyone know the reason why airlines charge more per person for booking for multiple passengers than when booking a single ticket?

It still shows that there are >6 seats available at that price point, so that's not the reason.

Came across this before and I just made 2 separate concurrent bookings on 2 different browsers to get our 2 tickets. It worked out about 30 quid cheaper than if I'd made one booking. Looking at the same issue again, except that we'll have a child with us so will probably have to book her and 1 adult in one booking and pay the premium price.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,203 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Hi guys,

Am considering booking flights but I've left it quite late for a holiday next month. My own fault of course. However, I'm wondering if anyone here has any insight as to whether flights to/from the UK will still fly in the event of a no deal Brexit.

Thanks.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 10,885 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Hi guys,

Am considering booking flights but I've left it quite late for a holiday next month. My own fault of course. However, I'm wondering if anyone here has any insight as to whether flights to/from the UK will still fly in the event of a no deal Brexit.

Thanks.

yes....to a point

https://www.politico.eu/article/flight-plane-post-brexit-air-travelers-face-turbulence-travel-march-30/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Question about Ryanair and passport names/ticket names. I'm travelling to Manchester on Saturday with my bro-in-law, whose niece booked his ticket as a present. His passport name is James, but known as Jamie, which is the name on the ticket. They are looking for 115 EUR to change it. Is not changing the name something that is likely to cause problems at the gate with it being such a minor difference (I know technically it's a completely different name) ?

Advertisement