Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is wrong with the site? (Please read updated post #1)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Dav wrote: »
    Ronan's been looking into the Cloudflare issues mentioned here all day, but I'm afraid I don't have an update for you on it yet. Hopefully I'll have something tomorrow.

Cloudflare were saying the issue is with your host not them

• Registered Users Posts: 18,144 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Synode wrote: »
    Cloudflare were saying the issue is with your host not them

Thats an automatic message tbf.

Carnacalla wrote: »
    Thats an automatic message tbf.

Yeah sorry if I wasn't clear. Their error message was saying the problem was with boards.ie host

• Registered Users Posts: 18,144 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Synode wrote: »
    Yeah sorry if I wasn't clear. Their error message was saying the problem was with boards.ie host

I have seen it alot, its still an automated message though.

Could be alot more to do with software compatibility, this is purely speculation though.

Carnacalla wrote: »
    I have seen it alot, its still an automated message though.

Could be alot more to do with software compatibility, this is purely speculation though.

Of course it's an automated message. I doubt it's wrong though

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

joujoujou wrote: »
    youtube.com works.

youtu.be doesn't.

That's the difference. :)

The main issue being that when you click share on youtube it will give a youtu.be link. Surely it would be trivial to add that format to the accepted? And parse out the video id or whatever is needed?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Screenshots attached - sec_error_unknown_security_issuer error in Firefox when trying to log onto Boards.
    If you add an exception- you then have a cutdown completely graphics free logon page- which refuses to load.

Meanwhile- site works fine on Chrome or IE (even on the exact same computer).

Was just talking to a guy working in Volkswagen Audi Group in Liffey Valley- he says their sites are doing the exact same with Firefox for the last few days- it seems to be new security settings in Firefox- which view some sites using third party solutions such as Cloudflare- as being prone to man-in-the-middle attacks........ (obviously incorrectly.........)

If you google this issue- you'll see its happening to a significant number of sites- its not just boards.ie (or indeed Google's suite of sites) related- its all over the place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭Boards.ie: Ronan

Screenshots attached - sec_error_unknown_security_issuer error in Firefox when trying to log onto Boards.
    If you add an exception- you then have a cutdown completely graphics free logon page- which refuses to load.

Meanwhile- site works fine on Chrome or IE (even on the exact same computer).

Was just talking to a guy working in Volkswagen Audi Group in Liffey Valley- he says their sites are doing the exact same with Firefox for the last few days- it seems to be new security settings in Firefox- which view some sites using third party solutions such as Cloudflare- as being prone to man-in-the-middle attacks........ (obviously incorrectly.........)

If you google this issue- you'll see its happening to a significant number of sites- its not just boards.ie (or indeed Google's suite of sites) related- its all over the place.

Hi,

What version of Firefox are you currently running?

Hi,

What version of Firefox are you currently running?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Probably your antivirus. Can you post a screenshot of the results if you hit "Add Exception", then "View" (not "confirm security exception")

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,354 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

What is with this bloody wotif ad at the top of the page playing sound and starting all over again every time i change page?? :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,337 ✭✭✭naughto

fullstop wrote: »
    What is with this bloody wotif ad at the top of the page playing sound and starting all over again every time i change page?? :mad:

Autoplay ads a right pain in the hole

fullstop wrote: »
    Boards don't take kindly to video ads, report here if you can.

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/post/82700264

• Registered Users Posts: 13,596 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Doubleposting is back again!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I was just about to say that - double posting with quick replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

Also some of my posts not showing up, inc quoted one's as well,

Here's hoping it'll post here :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 82,255 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

groundhog day posting

Reply to a post- and the reply is just vanishing- not sure whats happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,679 ✭✭✭Worztron

Reply to a post- and the reply is just vanishing- not sure whats happening.

The gremlins are afoot. :pac:

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users Posts: 13 violet ray

Worztron wrote: »
    The gremlins are afoot. :pac:

its a full moon eclipse tonight watch out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,621 ✭✭✭TheBody

Was getting 522 errors. Site offline there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭roshje

Is anyone else having problems when you post a reply, the number of your postings don't update?
    Edit.. It just did

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭Curly Judge

Still keep getting logged out and losing long posts, most annoying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

I'm so fed up of doing Cloudflare CAPTCHAs every time I log in. Is it because I'm in America at the area? It won't even let me view the site until I tell it which pictures have palm trees, it's putting me off viewing the site every session I have to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,081 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Is there something up with the site tonight? I'm using the touch site on my phone and half the time pages won't load and I get some sort of a gobbledegook server error message, or else it's just glacially slow.

I'm in a slightly dodgy coverage area, so that might be it, but other websites are working fine....

Slightly unusual issue here-

If you have changed your username in the distant past- and for whatever reason, a poster decides to resurrect a thread- quoting you- your old username is appearing as the post being quoted- and not your new username.

If there was a specific reason for changing your username (such as stalking- or work related issues)- this could be problematic for some users (admittedly a small subset of users- but it includes me).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,249 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

^
    I'm tempted to quote that but I won't 😈

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭28064212

If you have changed your username in the distant past- and for whatever reason, a poster decides to resurrect a thread- quoting you- your old username is appearing as the post being quoted- and not your new username.

If there was a specific reason for changing your username (such as stalking- or work related issues)- this could be problematic for some users (admittedly a small subset of users- but it includes me).
    That's always been the case. All of the posts that have quoted you prior to your name-change will have your old name in the quoted posts. It's fairly trivial to find out someone's former username.

In fact, if you look at "About Me" on your public profile, your old name is there. Name changes were never meant to be a method of anonymity

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,186 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

A users account is identified by it's user ID value, the UID. That never changes. The username is just a value associated with that the UID. Someone linking to your user profile page for example, will still go to the same page and link, regardless of a username change. Equally things such as friend statuses and the like are also linked to the UID. A username change doesn't change that much ultimately.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

I cannot log on via my laptop this morning, I am receiving the too many login failure message. Is the site having issues again?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement