Advertisement
How to add spoiler tags, edit posts, add images etc. How to - a user's guide to the new version of Boards
Mods please check the Moderators Group for an important update on Mod tools. If you do not have access to the group, please PM Niamh. Thanks!

What is wrong with the site? (Please read updated post #1)

Comments

• Boards.ie Community Manager

Every time I go on boards, the cookie warning comes up. That’s fine, I guess. But once I hit ‘okay’, boards.ie switches over to the touch site. It’s very irritating having to scroll down every time to switch back over to the full site. And sometimes it happens again during browsing: cookie warning —> touch site. I’m never going to use the touch site and this feels like an attempt to foist it upon people, hoping they’ll give up making the switch back to the full site.
    TherapyBoy wrote: »
    I’m having the same problem. Getting the ‘Accept Cookies’ box appearing, I accept & the site changes to the other version. While I’m navigating down to click ‘Full Site’ the ‘Accept Cookies’ box reappears.

Used to get the cookie request/version change thing happen maybe once every couple of weeks, has something on the site changed recently?

Switching the site version is not intentional so I will pass this info on the be looked at, thanks.

Deja Boo wrote: »
    Is the search function acting up?

When attempting to search for a user (to pm), and clicking on the name that appears under user, the system simply freezes instead of directing you to their profile or any of their posts.
    Not that I am aware of but there may have been an issue with the site at the time you were trying to find the user. If it is still happening, please let me know.

• Deja Boo wrote: »
    Try the "save and exit" option instead of "accept" ?

5844-B6-E8-1-DCF-4912-8-D47-963-FB7046-B3-B.png

In order to click ‘save & exit’ I have to go into ‘cookie settings’, scroll to the bottom of that page & then click ‘save & exit’. Tried it now when the cookies box appeared anyway to check your suggestion but it’s just adding more steps to the whole process AND the site version still changed & a second cookie box appeared again while scrolling down to click to switch back to the full site.

This cookie box/site version switch thing was happening to me before Niamh, but I was only getting the cookie request box appearing maybe once every 3/4 weeks or something. Having it happen at least once per day recently is a noticeable annoyance & the double cookie box thing started at the same time as the daily cookie box change. I haven’t changed any settings/software etc on my device.

• Boards.ie Employee

TherapyBoy and Tilden Katz.

OS, Browser, and Browser Version please.

• TherapyBoy and Tilden Katz.

OS, Browser, and Browser Version please.

Using Safari on an iPhone 11 David

• Advertisement

• Not that I am aware of but there may have been an issue with the site at the time you were trying to find the user. If it is still happening, please let me know.

Then it must just be my chromebook, because it's still freezing anytime I try to use search for a forum or username.

• Boards.ie Employee

TherapyBoy wrote: »
    Using Safari on an iPhone 11 David

Thanks TherapyBoy.

I deployed an update.

The next time you are logged into the full site on your phone, can you click "Cookie Settings" in the footer to launch it, save your settings, and let me know if you still get redirected touch?

• Not that I am aware of but there may have been an issue with the site at the time you were trying to find the user. If it is still happening, please let me know.

Discovered the problem, this happens when I only 'save & exit." If I click "accept' on the new cookie box, then voila, search works!

• …and let me know if you still get redirected touch?

All good so far David, I’ll post here again if there are any similar future problems. Thanks!

• Deja Boo wrote: »

When attempting to search for a user (to pm), and clicking on the name that appears under user, the system simply freezes instead of directing you to their profile or any of their posts.

I get similar. Using Edge I cannot click in forum when I used the find forums search window, clicking it nothing happens.

• Advertisement

• got an email telling me I got a pm, but no pm shows up in my inbox

Some notifications are delayed at the moment so it may be a PM that you already read a day or two ago. Sorry about that.

• On the mobile site if you click into one of your followed threads you usually go to the first unread post. For threads that haven't been updated in ages, I usually go to the first page, and have to find the first unread. I've noticed that this now seems to be happening for more threads - is there a specific timespan that this should affect? (hope this makes sense)

As far as I remember if you haven't visited the thread in 2 weeks, your last read post will be forgotten and you'll be returned to the first page when you click on the thread.
    Though I don't think that should happen when it's the thread itself that has had no activity (rather than you not reading for a period of time).

Will have to check that one and get back to you.

Discovered the problem, this happens when I only 'save & exit." If I click "accept' on the new cookie box, then voila, search works!
    Hurrache wrote: »
    I get similar. Using Edge I cannot click in forum when I used the find forums search window, clicking it nothing happens.

On the issues that some of you are having with Search, i.e. the drop down suggestions are unclickable, we're pretty sure we know what that is and are looking into it at the moment.

• Hurrache wrote: »

I'm having similar problems. I use the search bar to get to certain forums. Previously, I'd type in, say, vaping and then click on the resulting suggestion. Now that doesn't work. Hasn't worked for maybe a week?

Win10 & Vivaldi browser.

• dulpit wrote: »
    On the mobile site if you click into one of your followed threads you usually go to the first unread post. For threads that haven't been updated in ages, I usually go to the first page, and have to find the first unread. I've noticed that this now seems to be happening for more threads - is there a specific timespan that this should affect? (hope this makes sense)

I've noticed something similar, too, even for popular threads that I would have accessed daily - when I click on the "last unread post" arrow it brings me back to the last post I had previously read and doesn't show any new posts unless I repeatedly refresh the page. I've cleared the cache but it's made no difference. This only happens on the full site while on the mobile. It's only started in the last week or so.

• Boards servers? ;)

v8nqfyb2ay811.jpg

======================

Jokes aside...
    Hurrache wrote: »
    Dubwat wrote: »
    I'm having similar problems. I use the search bar to get to certain forums. Previously, I'd type in, say, vaping and then click on the resulting suggestion. Now that doesn't work. Hasn't worked for maybe a week?

Win10 & Vivaldi browser.

Similar problem as above, but on win7 and firefox. Works fine on win7 and opera.

• New Home wrote: »
    I've noticed something similar, too, even for popular threads that I would have accessed daily - when I click on the "last unread post" arrow it brings me back to the last post I had previously read and doesn't show any new posts unless I repeatedly refresh the page. I've cleared the cache but it's made no difference. This only happens on the full site while on the mobile. It's only started in the last week or so.

One more thing I've noticed - if I go to select any of my posts, I'm not brought to that post, but to the top of the page on which that post is. Let's say, for instance, my post is the 28th on page 7 of a thread, I'm brought every time to page 7, post 1.

• Thanks TherapyBoy.

I deployed an update.

The next time you are logged into the full site on your phone, can you click "Cookie Settings" in the footer to launch it, save your settings, and let me know if you still get redirected touch?

Hi David, I did this when you posted the suggestion. Today, cookie box popped up again and pushed me back to the touch site

• Advertisement

• I've noticed that twitter links no longer embed on the main site, but they do seem to work okay on mobile. I guess with the upcoming migration it might not be an issue worth looking at, but thought I'd highlight it anyway.

Can you see this one? It looks ok from here (embedded from desktop and viewed from desktop). I know if the tweet is deleted the embed will stop working and just a link will appear. Do you have an example in a post for me to look at?

https://twitter.com/CSOIreland/status/1400754278571073538

• joujoujou wrote: »
    Boards servers? ;)

v8nqfyb2ay811.jpg

======================

Jokes aside...

Similar problem as above, but on win7 and firefox. Works fine on win7 and opera.

Slightly OT, is that a cryptominer fire? Jaysis. I ask because that is a lot of ATX powerline spaghetti

Back OT: can we get a sweep of previews/images/walkthroughs from the test environment?

• Can you see this one? It looks ok from here (embedded from desktop and viewed from desktop). I know if the tweet is deleted the embed will stop working and just a link will appear. Do you have an example in a post for me to look at?

https://twitter.com/CSOIreland/status/1400754278571073538

Im having the same problem with lots of Twitter links not embedding on desktop. The CSO one above is embedding fine but overall about 80% of Twitter links are just displaying as a link. If I click the post number to display it as a single post then the Twitter link embeds fine as it gets refreshed but not when it is just on a normal page of posts.

One more thing I've noticed - if I go to select any of my posts, I'm not brought to that post, but to the top of the page on which that post is. Let's say, for instance, my post is the 28th on page 7 of a thread, I'm brought every time to page 7, post 1.

I’ve had similar issues for some time now.
    I’ve posted about it.
    I’ve been ignored.

• Bit of a weird one, but another poster has noticed a huge and ongoing increase in the number of profile visits.

Is this a bug or do they need to look out for a maniacal stalker?

• Someone with chunky fingers trying to click on the "last unread post" arrow on a thread but clicking on that username by mistake? God knows I've done it sooo many times myself! If it's a popular thread that could explain it. Or it's a stalker.

Someone with chunky fingers trying to click on the "last unread post" arrow on a thread but clicking on that username by mistake? God knows I've done it sooo many times myself! If it's a popular thread that could explain it. Or it's a stalker.

There was over a hundred yesterday evening so unlikely to all be accidental.

If it was happening to others it would suggest a glitch in the matrix.

• 0_o

• Advertisement

0_o

Indeed!

The thanks buttons disappeared here for a while too, I was trying to remember if it was always disabled in Feedback.

Curiouser and curiouser. Hopefully all runs as normal once the migration to the new platform is complete.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement