Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is wrong with the site? (Please read updated post #1)

Options

Comments

Not at all. I’m just too long in the tooth now to change from using forums in chronological order. I know the popularity contest way of displaying them is the way forward and all, but it’s just not for me.

I know it's quite different but the posts within each conversation are in cronological order. It's just that there are many conversations going on at once and they are rated by the upvotes and downvotes.

I know it's quite different but the posts within each conversation are in cronological order. It's just that there are many conversations going on at once and they are rated by the upvotes and downvotes.

I can’t get used to it. The problem is definitely me and not Reddit though, just to be clear :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,685 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    people need money to survive, strangely enough

Mandatory subscription it is so.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,977 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Mandatory subscription it is so.

I willing to pass over all my worldly belongings for access, even my phone and computer

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Inviere

l7RD7JT.png
    bL1ylwc.png

Class. Such an implementation would definitely encourage me to use the site on my phone - it's a mini version of the desktop site. As it stands I don't unless I absolutely have to, it's not an enjoyable user experience imo.

• Advertisement

20 minutes over a coffee with no effort done to tidy it up or make it right.

Did you receive a shred of feedback/acknowledgment/interest about this from them at all?

Did you receive a shred of feedback/acknowledgment/interest about this from them at all?

0R1Jt2Y.png

Gone again.

Gone again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,754 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Yep, 503's all over the shop.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,887 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Well feck, was thinking it was nice to be able to post trouble free this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,865 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

503's and Database Errors .
    Plus too many connections again .

• Registered Users Posts: 14,837 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Oh look it's Sunday and the site is broken again. That's four in a row now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

Note the announcement at the top of the page (full site!)

Note the announcement at the top of the page (full site!)

I see nothing.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,887 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

The announcement from during the week?. Possibly redundant over the weekend i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,636 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Deja vu with all the error messages, the site will haemorrhage users at this rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,636 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Deja vu with all the error messages, the site will haemorrhage users at this rate.

ETA: A double post to add to the frustration, chances are this edit won't appear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

Ah, it just says "today" - how enlightening!

I'm trying to send a PM and failing badly... 503s and database errors everywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 16,123 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Nothing but
    Unfortunately the backend returned an error and could not fulfill this request. Please try again or return to the homepage.
    for me this evening

Plus my laptop is having connectivity issues so it's just a festival of

tumblr_o33t7okTl41v2etp2o1_250.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85,623 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

503 errors tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 48,153 ✭✭✭✭km79

• Registered Users Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭Tork

This is becoming the norm rather than the exception. Is it time to have a conversation about where boards is going? The site isn't as popular as it was in its heyday but it's still heavily used. I for one would hate to see boards go away and would like to see it continue for some time yet. Is there anything we as users can do to ensure boards has some sort of future? (i.e. crowdfunding or whatever). If boards is running on some sort of ancient, bug-laden system and there's an option to move it to something more stable and better, can it not be taken?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,218 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Have Boards actually said what is causing the issues at present?

The site is so often unusable.

I read a few other forums, and none seem to have any issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,218 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

• Registered Users Posts: 28,748 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

NIMAN wrote: »

DB/cluster sync issue was the last I saw.

Site is becoming unusable and these problems have become a weekend regularity (as there's no staff working over the weekends).

I can only assume that either the platform is so customised that a fix is not at all easy, there's not enough dev staff to do the needed work to resolve long-term and deal with the day-to-day, or there's just no will/investment available to deal with it from the higher-up management/owners.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,017 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

The site is unusable right now.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 41,017 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

The site is unusable right now

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Can't send pms, it took me about fifteen minutes to post a reply to a thread this morning z kept getting 503 and data base errors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

Can’t login on desktop. Seems to be lots of duplicate posts on touch. This is my third attempt to post this via the touch site.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement