Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is wrong with the site? (Please read updated post #1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,016 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Touch site is fcuked again.

Is this the new normal now? Can't be arsed dealing with this every day.

Well they did say they were undertaking work on it today so it’s not alarming. Touch site is just borked right now. Full site on mobile looks to be stable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

This is reminiscent of the "good" old days when boards had no money...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 302 ✭✭Muscles Schultz

This is reminiscent of the "good" old days when boards had no money...

Call that excitable neckbeard Dav and you will have it complete.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,102 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Still getting the too many connections errors on the mobile site.

To thine own self be true

Yeah the touch site is in bits.

• Advertisement

Honestly, this would be a good time to just kill the touch site and add some responsive css to the desktop site so it works properly on mobile. I know I'd rather deal with that as a dev over a couple of days than deal with fixing touch and having to continue maintaining it.

It's usable, though. Click Full Site at the bottom of the page.

I don’t know what that is but the layout needs to be like touch with no need for horizontal scrolling.

I don’t know what that is but the layout needs to be like touch with no need for horizontal scrolling.

That's what responsive css is. It uses rules based on screen width to apply extra styling which automatically to turns a desktop site into a mobile site while serving the same html. Very few websites have dedicated mobile sites anymore.

boards.ie have never implemented any of my code or styles, or changed anything based on site development feedback, so I'm not doing it for them. They'd just ignore it.

Definitely wouldn’t. We’ll just get the usual lines trotted out anyway and then it’ll be half patched up until the next time.

Come to think of it, this is what the tried to do last year when they implemented the new site. Everyone hated the styling direction and usability so they had to revert. It would have been better in hindsight to take the current one and just add to it I guess. I'd say they'd love to not have to deal with a touch site.

• Advertisement

l7RD7JT.png

20 minutes over a coffee with no effort done to tidy it up or make it right.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,977 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Its 7am!

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Its 7am!

The time is in the screenshot :p I have no work because of Covid-19 so I've little to be at.

The time is in the screenshot I have no work because of Covid-19 so I've little to be at.

Sounds like you could be fixing things, devs heads must be melted with this thing

l7RD7JT.png

That looks class, and so much more functionality over the touch site.

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Call that excitable neckbeard Dav and you will have it complete.

Admin: Not feedback, just using feedback to make backhanded swipes at others. Don't post in this tread again.

The time is in the screenshot :p I have no work because of Covid-19 so I've little to be at.

What would the screen look like when you’re typing out a post?

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Mark
    Boards.ie Employee

Sorry folks, it looks like the Touch SQL error is an ongoing issue at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,481 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Sorry folks, it looks like the Touch SQL error is an ongoing issue at the moment.

Thanks for stating the obvious.

What would the screen look like when you’re typing out a post?

bL1ylwc.png

Anyways, it doesn't matter.

Hacking vbulletin with its antiquated tables to be responsive is not a particularly enjoyable thing to do. I don't think it would ever happen.

If they ever do want to make it happen, step one is adding "<meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width, initial-scale=1.0">" to the head. That's what makes it zoomed in properly instead of starting zoomed really far out. Then you work back and make everything responsively fit on screen while hiding stuff that would make it too cluttered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

It's been that way for a few weeks now. The question is, are you doing anything about it? The full site seems to be working fine on my phone but it's just not as easy as the Touch site.

It's been that way for a few weeks now. The question is, are you doing anything about it? The full site seems to be working fine on my phone but it's just not as easy as the Touch site.

we get to use the site for free folks, gives the devs a break

We want the site to survive, and that means retaining users.

I've already started spending time on politics.ie because of this and have been more active on Reddit.

And in return Boards.ie gets ad revenue.

And in return Boards.ie gets ad revenue.

people need money to survive, strangely enough

people need money to survive, strangely enough

I've no problem with ad revenue, but to me it seems like action has been very slow and their Twitter updates - up to yesterday - almost absent. I'm not an IT guy so don't know the ins and outs of it but in the past they seemed to be more proactive in at least keeping users (customers) posted.

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Mark
    Boards.ie Employee

Unfortunately, there have been different (and often unrelated) issues occurring over the last few weeks. This particular issue seemed to crop up last week, but it's not entirely clear why it's happening now or why it might only be impacting the Touch site. The devs have been investigating this and implementing measures to rectify it, while also sorting out spam PMs and spammers, potentially nefarious traffic, and other issues.

Disruption is obviously something that we want to avoid and we apologise for inconvenience caused. We also thank users for their ongoing patience as we get to the bottom of various technical issues that have been happening.

We want the site to survive, and that means retaining users.

I've already started spending time on politics.ie because of this and have been more active on Reddit.

In fairness they could make the text light cream on a white background and it wouldn’t drive me to reddit.

In fairness they could make the text light cream on a white background and it wouldn’t drive me to reddit.

Let me guess. You went on reddit and thought that /r/ireland was where you were meant to go? That's usually the story.

• Advertisement

Let me guess. You went on reddit and thought that /r/ireland was where you were meant to go? That's usually the story.

Not at all. I’m just too long in the tooth now to change from using forums in chronological order. I know the popularity contest way of displaying them is the way forward and all, but it’s just not for me.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement