Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lenny, Alek and Rob's cyclo crossbromance

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭coach22

So my cyclocross bike arrived today! Super excited to get out on it.

Apart from Phoenix Park where else are there good trails around Dublin?

Hellfire, Massey Wood? Are these okay to cycle.

Has anyone any Strava links they can provide?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

coach22 wrote: »
    So my cyclocross bike arrived today! Super excited to get out on it.

Apart from Phoenix Park where else are there good trails around Dublin?

Hellfire, Massey Wood? Are these okay to cycle.

Has anyone any Strava links they can provide?

The newest Coillte MTB trails on 3 rock are CXable as a lap loop

https://www.strava.com/activities/661240954/segments/16191333749

Masseys is probably easier in that you can avoid rocky sections. Loads to do in there, up the middle, down the outside. With strong legs, up the outside and down the middle. All good stuff in there.
    Obviously all the public parks are CXable but be sensible and avoid children, dogs and adults. Probably in that order :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

Plenty of fire roads in Dublin/Wicklow mountains if you get yourself an OS map. I wouldn't personally ride the Coilte trails on the CX bike as it's more fun on a MTB. Some of them are probably a bit much if you've never ridden off-road before, depends on experience.

There's nothing that technical in the cross courses anymore, plenty of stuff in Phoenix Park that's more challenging than the race courses themselves. The Curragh is good if looking for something a bit different. I use a small local park for doing basic skills and Phoenix Park for 1-2 hour spins. Massey is good as it tends to get quite muddy in the winter. Nice to mix it up, but a lot of people forget to work on the basics.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

Here's a couple of my cx spins in Phoenix park; there's a loop all the way around and some nice hills near the magazine fort https://www.strava.com/activities/370579487
    https://www.strava.com/activities/645515568
    https://www.strava.com/activities/578223574

There's a few trails around the leadmines in Shankill: https://www.strava.com/activities/178263418

Don;t forget the Royal and Grand canals too for a more leisurely offroad experience ;-) https://www.strava.com/activities/343722739

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Pantanifan84

Let's talk stem length. How long us regarded as too long?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Let's talk stem length. How long us regarded as too long?

How long is yours?

110mm

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    How long is yours?

Oooo eeeer missus....

110mm

Meh. I've had longer.

That's what she said......I'll get me coat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

kashechkin_stem_670.jpg

170mm should please most.

Sure that's like a second top tube

Alek wrote: »
    kashechkin_stem_670.jpg

I think that you are being a bit generous there. Looks like 165 to the middle to me. Do you often overstate the length of things?

We wouldnt get too far as species if everyone was so meticulous about promises vs. reality :-P

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Pablo Rubio

Alek wrote: »
    kashechkin_stem_670.jpg

Looks a bit dull in spots, could do with a bit of a rub.

could do with a bit of a rub.

Apt nickname, sir.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭splanagan22

Is there a list of racing leagues anywhere online. I really want to do some Cx this winter. Also it there tracks you can just rock up to and practice. Based in Louth/Meath

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

find a park, cycle round it, look at some cx specific training drills on you tube. Where in Louth/Meath are you based?

Can we change the name of the thread back now?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

Is there a list of racing leagues anywhere online. I really want to do some Cx this winter. Also it there tracks you can just rock up to and practice. Based in Louth/Meath
    Pretty sure dates were posted in this thread.

You can't train on any of the courses - the race organisers ask people not to train on courses prior to races. The courses can be quite convoluted and it would be hard to guess the route in advance anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭splanagan22

lennymc wrote: »
    find a park, cycle round it, look at some cx specific training drills on you tube. Where in Louth/Meath are you based?

Can we change the name of the thread back now?

Ok will do. I'm from Drogheda.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

I got a CX bike and have been honing my skills alongside the roadworks on the coast road at Clontarf. Where do I sign up to win some races?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

I think it's time to get the CX bike down from the attic.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

This video makes me realise I a) need to get a bloody CX bike and b) really need to go back to Iceland.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

Miklos wrote: »

This video makes me realise I a) need to get a bloody CX bike and b) really need to go back to Iceland.

Nice - heading there on Sunday :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭ht9zni1gs28crp

Getting excited now, just finalising works on our updated course here in Navan and its going to run epic...we can run it in both directions so will most likely switch it around between events. Its tough but will reward the bike handlers amongst you!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭irishrover99

its going to run epic...we can run it in both directions so will most likely switch it around between events.

You should start half the race going one way and the other half going the otherway. Maybe give the some Javelin's to spice it up a bit. It could be themed as a Roman CX race ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Mr. Grieves

Getting excited now, just finalising works on our updated course here in Navan and its going to run epic...we can run it in both directions so will most likely switch it around between events. Its tough but will reward the bike handlers amongst you!

Is there a date for this race? Really liked that course last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭ht9zni1gs28crp

3 dates in the book. First Sundays in October, November and December.

Exact details will be announced over the coming weeks.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Really enjoyed that course in Navan last year, did b race and rode well but was fell off about 4 times on the various sections by trying to carry too much speed. Rewards good bike control and has great variation.
    Thats 3 I plan to do for sure :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

You should start half the race going one way and the other half going the otherway. Maybe give the some Javelin's to spice it up a bit. It could be themed as a Roman CX race ;)

Javelin, nah, joust for the dramatics:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement