Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lenny, Alek and Rob's cyclo crossbromance

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,122 ✭✭✭daragh_

I destroyed my wheels last season and need some new hoops. I've a budget of €200+

Any thoughts on these?

PX El Guapo Comps

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

NickWray wrote: »
    I'd love to give this mudplugging lark a go but not sure I can stretch to a proper bike at present. Is anyone out there competing on singlespeed?

Maybe competing isn't the right word.. Taking part!

A Pompino seems like a decent shout for a ready to go singlespeed CX.

I raced a pompino - very capable bike. Also did a season and a bit on a ss surly. I regularly beat people on their fancy geared bikes :) I think I'm going to put it back to single speed for this year (but I have a nother CX bike so will have a choice). SSCX is not as big a disadvantage as you might think, although you will need to do more running.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭dvntie

Raam wrote: »
    Such a dedicated group in the Ulster series. I'd love to see another CX series where a few clubs put on a series of races. We tried it with the NDCX series but it failed.

There's going to be a Munster League kicking off for the first time. Between Cork Ennis Killarney and mallow (and a few other venues TBC). At least 6 to start off with anyways. Should be an interesting Cross season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

dvntie wrote: »
    There's going to be a Munster League kicking off for the first time. Between Cork Ennis Killarney and mallow (and a few other venues TBC). At least 6 to start off with anyways. Should be an interesting Cross season.

Any approximate dates for that?

Will there be a C league?☺

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Taxuser1 wrote: »
    i'm trying to make this as cheap as remotely possible. I have 50% of a groupset I want to put onto a CX frame and use road wheels I already have. I've no idea what a good CX frame second hand might be and what to look out for. Any advice ?

Check out ribble also. ~240e for their alloy CX frame

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

lennymc wrote: »
    I raced a pompino - very capable bike. Also did a season and a bit on a ss surly. I regularly beat people on their fancy geared bikes :) I think I'm going to put it back to single speed for this year (but I have a nother CX bike so will have a choice). SSCX is not as big a disadvantage as you might think, although you will need to do more running.

Cheers Lenny! What sort of ratio do you run?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

NickWray wrote: »
    Cheers Lenny! What sort of ratio do you run?

I was running about 2:1 on the pomp. The Surly had spacing for a 10 speed wheel so I used spacers and could gear up or down.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

RobFowl wrote: »
    Make it Lenny, Alek and Robs Cyclocross party..

Please Mods

Go on go on go on go on go on

Go on go on go on go on go on go on

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭dvntie

ford2600 wrote: »
    Any approximate dates for that?

Will there be a C league?☺

Yep details on the dates are up on the de ronde facebook page

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

Anyone heard anything about the Rathfarnham race? Pretty sure it had been announced by this stage last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭Taxuser1

assuming I have the correct CX frame, will a standard 700 x 23 rim take the CX tyres to a certain point

Can someone recommend
    1) Tyre width
    2) Tyre choice - not too expensive - I'll be using knackered clinchers hopefully
    3) a general overview of tyre pressure in Irish races - cycling with less than 25 PSI for a whole season :-)
    4) best pedal/shoe combo
    5) standard gear combos - i have a compact from a road bike, surely plenty of options available to me with that

would anyone care to offer any review on this http://www.competitivecyclist.com/fuji-bicycles-altamira-cx-2.1-carbon-cyclocross-frameset?skidn=FJI000D-DARGY-S54CM&ti=UExQIE9uIFNhbGU6Q3ljbG9jcm9zcyBCaWtlcyAmIEZyYW1lczoxOjU6Y2NDYXQxMDAxNTg=

thanks in advance!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

RobFowl wrote: »

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Mr. Grieves

Taxuser1 wrote: »
    assuming I have the correct CX frame, will a standard 700 x 23 rim take the CX tyres to a certain point

Can someone recommend
    1) Tyre width
    2) Tyre choice - not too expensive - I'll be using knackered clinchers hopefully
    3) a general overview of tyre pressure in Irish races - cycling with less than 25 PSI for a whole season :-)
    4) best pedal/shoe combo
    5) standard gear combos - i have a compact from a road bike, surely plenty of options available to me with that

would anyone care to offer any review on this http://www.competitivecyclist.com/fuji-bicycles-altamira-cx-2.1-carbon-cyclocross-frameset?skidn=FJI000D-DARGY-S54CM&ti=UExQIE9uIFNhbGU6Q3ljbG9jcm9zcyBCaWtlcyAmIEZyYW1lczoxOjU6Y2NDYXQxMDAxNTg=

thanks in advance!

Not too many choices to make: any road wheel will do, 32mm tyres, a compact is fine although a single 39 tooth ring is best, Shimano SPD pedals. Work out the tyre pressures after you've ridden the bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

No good.

re: rathfarhnham summercross
    we had been working toward a date of 11th of august for the cx race this year but unfortunately have fallen at the final hurdle and have had to cancel the event.
    this is really disapointing for us and we intend to work toward running the event again in 2017 apologies to anybody that was looking forward to the event
    please share in the relevant places

thanks

we look forward to seeing you all at the fixx series on sunday the 25th september

(https://www.facebook.com/expertcycles/?fref=nf)

Shame

Dang.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

That's really disappointing. Would be interesting as to what the "final hurdle" was, it seemed to be a roaring success last year and extremely safe for competitors and spectators.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭lukegjpotter

A rogue bunch of CycloCross riders have an impromptu race in Rathfarnham Green on the 11th?

Wouldn't mind doing it in a park, but in the village that would be highly irresponsible...

https://www.strava.com/segments/12100693

I'm sure someone can create a better one..

• Advertisement

Nice but throw in some squiggly off camber bits :)

colm18 wrote: »
    https://www.strava.com/segments/12100693

I'm sure someone can create a better one..

You need to have the steps in the Furry Glen in there as well.

Mainly so we can do Furry Glen jokes

You need to cross the main road to get to Furry Glen, not so good for a rogue race.

Alek wrote: »
    You need to cross the main road to get to Furry Glen, not so good for a rogue race.

Don't be wreckin' me buzz.

BTW, the Lenny Hill has been recently leveled. Nowhere to break your seatpost these days...

(but Colm's Plains are still there, waiting for your derailleurs)

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭detones

Fixx series schedule for 2016 mentions night race for October. That should be fun!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭thekooman

thinking of buying a Caadx... anyone know if the Maddux CX 2.1 Disc wheelset will take a 28mm road tyre (Gatorskin or similiar) for winter training? in time id hope to upgrade the wheelset to save changing tyres.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭onthefringe

thekooman wrote: »
    thinking of buying a Caadx... anyone know if the Maddux CX 2.1 Disc wheelset will take a 28mm road tyre (Gatorskin or similiar) for winter training? in time id hope to upgrade the wheelset to save changing tyres.

Yes
    I ran 25-38,s on em

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭thekooman

Yes
    I ran 25-38,s on em

thanks onthefringe... good to know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭lukegjpotter

Cycling Maven went to the second day of a two day CX event in his latest VLOG. Hanna will be consulting Robin (Fixx) and Sean (DCCX) on how to make the courses for the upcoming season.

https://youtu.be/ssBzUEHoD6A

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement