Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lenny, Alek and Rob's cyclo crossbromance

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Peterx wrote: »
    Race = cake
    Timing = icing

Absolutely! Plus if Sean is reading this, I may sound negative but honestly that was tied with Rathfarnham for me in terms of enjoyment (of 3 races I've done...), but I see that as high praise!

I'd prefer to see more people putting in the level of organisation and enthusiasm he and his crew did.

I'd happily swap timing chips for beers, cakes and a massive projector at the finish!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    I'd happily swap timing chips for beers, cakes and a massive projector at the finish!

+many

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    **though I would hardly called Worc a big club, it's usually a handful of guys who are also racing who run the event..

That is true, but they are very well organised as they have been running off-road events for a number of years now.

You have to allow for initial outlay for some of the equipment. If you are lucky sponsors may help with some of that. After seeing the effort that goes into organising different cycling events, I am grateful to anyone who gives up their time to help put on races.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Still no results for the A race though, a day after the event..

Still no results for the A race though, a day after the event..

Jeez, what else could someone possibly be doing on a Monday??? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭JK.BMC

That there was a race at all is a good starting point; that the times are a bit of a shambles is not surprising, but certainly not the end of the world.

It seemed to me that the timing "system" wasn't in any way organised in advance and but for the intervention of a few volunteers "on the hoof" on the morning I'm not sure what they would have done. Trying to call out numbers for riders who had them pinned practically everywhere bar where they were supposed to (RIGHT SHOULDER....) plus the fact that you had I think 3 sets of the same numbers (different colours) in the same race is a fairly messy way to run things.

But thankfully there seems to be a certain dose of the "sure isn't it grand anyway" attitude among most competitors, which for the organisers is something of a relief.

I'm not too bothered by my lap times - they are roughly correct although I wasn't lapped. It has me as -1 even though my number was called out at the finish of the B Race (6 laps)
    I think my team mate, riding his first ever cross race, set a world record for CX and placed ahead of me even though he only completed 4 laps - go figure!!!

Thanks DCCX for putting in the effort.

JK.BMC wrote: »
    It seemed to me that the timing "system" wasn't in any way organised in advance and but for the intervention of a few volunteers "on the hoof" on the morning I'm not sure what they would have done. Trying to call out numbers for riders who had them pinned practically everywhere bar where they were supposed to (RIGHT SHOULDER....) plus the fact that you had I think 3 sets of the same numbers (different colours) in the same race is a fairly messy way to run things. .

Generally in CX racing the number is on the LEFT shoulder, the right shoulder is just messy as most people will shoulder the bike onto there right shoulder, therefore the numbers would get muddied up and possibly be left hanging off the rider's shoulders...

Jeez, what else could someone possibly be doing on a Monday??? :rolleyes:

I would say relaxing after completing the full race results on the Sunday?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭JK.BMC

Generally in CX racing the number is on the LEFT shoulder, the right shoulder is just messy as most people will shoulder the bike onto there right shoulder, therefore the numbers would get muddied up and possibly be left hanging off the rider's shoulders...

Yes, agreed, but that wasn't what the organisers asked yesterday, and certainly not on one's back pocket among other places. Something to bear in mind for the next race I suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Numbers on BOTH shoulders and on back. More money though.

• Advertisement

JK.BMC wrote: »
    Yes, agreed, but that wasn't what the organisers asked yesterday, and certainly not on one's back pocket among other places. Something to bear in mind for the next race I suppose

Generally the starter or race marshall even the commissaire will remind people at the start of the race and quickly look at the riders...

Though if you fail to follow race organisers instructions then those riders could hardly expect much...

Raam wrote: »
    Numbers on BOTH shoulders and on back. More money though.

That's pain though a lot of people warm up in one jersey and rush back to pin the numbers onto their race jersey, though for me pinning the number onto the jersey is one of the first things I do, as it's the last thing you want to be moving onto the correct shoulder at the start line...

Chip timing was 250 per race when I was helping organise, but it varies and can be per entry. You also need an experienced person to run the equipment. I wouldn't rent equipment unless some who knows how to use it is part of the rental.

That's pain though a lot of people warm up in one jersey and rush back to pin the numbers onto their race jersey, though for me pinning the number onto the jersey is one of the first things I do, as it's the last thing you want to be moving onto the correct shoulder at the start line...

What's painful about pinning on numbers? Other than stabbing yourself.

2011-world-cup-koksijde-35-sven-nys-sprint.jpg
    1_CV2013-men-659x440.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,831 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Ok, it seems I got the shoulder wrong but for both Fixxc cx events we were told over and over again left shoulder, left shoulder. So I guess that's what I "heard" on Sunday too. I guess I thought it was a cx standard or something.

Raam wrote: »
    What's painful about pinning on numbers? Other than stabbing yourself.

Nothing... When you are a Pro and have multiple jerseys with a team manager to pin the numbers on for you?

Nothing... When you are a Pro and have multiple jerseys with a team manager to pin the numbers on for you?

You prima donna!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭cunavalos

Ideal solution, reuseable number wallets

800Product-bands2.png

£30 a pair

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

£30 a pair

*choke*

Marker and some paper and some pins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭detones

Ok so is a bruised shoulder normal after a cross race or am I carrying the bike wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,868 ✭✭✭De Bhál

Next Sunday B race sold out. Appreciate an entry from someone who can't make it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭inc21

It sold out like a rock concert but there is some places left in A still. In my opinion, there is not much of a difference between A and B. You are equally in pain (nice kind of way) in both for an 1h or so.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

inc21 wrote: »
    It sold out like a rock concert but there is some places left in A still. In my opinion, there is not much of a difference between A and B. You are equally in pain (nice kind of way) in both for an 1h or so.

You'd get lapped more often and get on the way of the race, as well as participation we need top level competition...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭inc21

RobFowl wrote: »
    You'd get lapped more often and get on the way of the race, as well as participation we need top level competition...

na. Unless you stop for coffee it should be fine. Lads at the pointy end of the race are not there cos they like to queue behind slow moving objects.

RobFowl wrote: »

Although we were bashing the mountain bikers earlier, there seems to be a lot of very good quality riders in B who should probably be in A. Guys with A2 licenses, coming off a good season of racing probably shouldn't be in the Bs.

Ok, they may not have the skills but they have the engine, whereas I have neither skills nor engine.

B race for Fixx sold out in 24 hours. There are still places in A.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

(Half of lap 1 and lap 2 of the B race)

there seems to be a lot of very good quality riders in B who should probably be in A. Guys with A2 licenses, coming off a good season of racing probably shouldn't be in the Bs.
    Ok, they may not have the skills but they have the engine, whereas I have neither skills nor engine.
    B race for Fixx sold out in 24 hours. There are still places in A.

The B cat has a massive range in abilities, as the sport grows then race organisers could look into a third "C" cat, maybe for next year.. Not sure how it would work as up in Ulster they run a MTB race as well as all the kids and ladies races, but certainly something to think about for next year...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

The B cat has a massive range in abilities, as the sport grows then race organisers could look into a third "C" cat, maybe for next year.. Not sure how it would work as up in Ulster they run a MTB race as well as all the kids and ladies races, but certainly something to think about for next year...

Might need 2 days for that. Not really fair to expect volunteers to be at a course for 12 hours + on a Sunday, they do have lives away from CX. The MTB support race was not on at Lady Dixon to accommodate a separate women's race.

Early season numbers are always a little higher, if we get a wet, cold winter the races might not be as full later on.

• Advertisement

nak wrote: »
    Might need 2 days for that. Not really fair to expect volunteers to be at a course for 12 hours + on a Sunday, they do have lives away from CX. The MTB support race was not on at Lady Dixon to accommodate a separate women's race.
    Early season numbers are always a little higher, if we get a wet, cold winter the races might not be as full later on.

Yes, very true, it's a long day for race organisers running the kiddies races early on, and then doing the sign on for the senior races also..

I'd rather see a separate women s race than any support events like the MTB one they have up north...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement