Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lenny, Alek and Rob's cyclo crossbromance

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Raam wrote: »
    Like any bike race, it's about winning.

Fair enough. You can still have a bit of fun while doing that? Everyone I know who races cx emphasises the fun part. Anyway, I'll leave it at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

not to be lamented

Fair enough.
    not to be expected

I beg to disagree.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Fair enough. You can still have a bit of fun while doing that? Everyone I know who races cx emphasises the fun part. Anyway, I'll leave it at that.

Having fun... totally. None of this discussion excludes that. Emphasising the fun part... if people want to do that, that is totally fine. Me... I prefer to be able to compete for a win. Alas, that is not within my capabilities.

Alek wrote: »
    Fair enough.

I beg to disagree.

Why do you expect it? Where in the entry form or race description was this specified?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭harringtonp

Guys just wondering what is the thinking behind disallowing mountain bikes in A races ?

You could turn up with a non racing bike at a road race and start (I think though I've never seen it). You may get some laughs and not get too far but that's your problem. You certainly see all sorts of bikes in sportives.

People do triathlons on all sorts of bikes including road and mountain. Their times are slower than they would be on a TT bike but its their problem.

Likewise there is an ideal bike for an adventure race but there is no rule stopping you turning up and riding almost anything...

• Advertisement

Guys just wondering what is the thinking behind disallowing mountain bikes in A races ?

You could turn up with a non racing bike at a road race and start (I think though I've never seen it). You may get some laughs and not get too far but that's your problem. You certainly see all sorts of bikes in sportives.

People do triathlons on all sorts of bikes including road and mountain. Their times are slower than they would be on a TT bike but its their problem.

Likewise there is an ideal bike for an adventure race but there is no rule stopping you turning up and riding almost anything...

Cos it's a cyclocross race. In a cross-country skiing event, one does not allow downhills skis. Same principle. CX is an older discipline than MTB. It is a different variant of bike racing. Why does road racing not allow MTBs? Why does track racing not allow MTBs? How many rhetorical questions can I include in this post?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Ah come on now Raam, i'm with easygoing39 on this one, I think everyone from 1st to 51st deserves to know their laptimes and race position...

People give up there day and pay there 20 bucks to go race not against seymour, but against their club mates and friends, they want to know laptimes, how far or ahead they were from others and compare with last years times..

I've done race timing on a club level and stood out in rain and wind, but always got the race positions on paper and posted up online, I even bought an ipad app that recorded times/positions and emailed them to everyone who'd raced straight after the race ended...

Cakes, beers and tv screens showing rugby is the icing on the cake, but you still have to cover the basics...

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭comete

Go to a road race, you won't get any sort of feedback outside of the top 10, and even then all you get is a place.

Unless you're competing for the win in cx, just enjoy it

If you want laptimes and segment splits from the race organiser, maybe it's triathlon you're after

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Ah come on now Raam, i'm with easygoing39 on this one, I think everyone from 1st to 51st deserves to know their laptimes and race position...

People give up there day and pay there 20 bucks to go race not against seymour, but against their club mates and friends, they want to know laptimes, how far or ahead they were from others and compare with last years times..

I've done race timing on a club level and stood out in rain and wind, but always got the race positions on paper and posted up online, I even bought an ipad app that recorded times/positions and emailed them to everyone who'd raced straight after the race ended...

Cakes, beers and tv screens showing rugby is the icing on the cake, but you still have to cover the basics...

Oh gosh, thanks so much to these people for giving up their day to turn up and race at this magically organised race.
    People might expect to be given their position all the way down to last place but by no means do they deserve to be given it.
    Lap times are for your bike computer.
    Last years times: also for your bike computer.

I've done the same. It's a bonus. Not an assumed right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I know where I finished relative to club mates, because they are either ahead or behind. That's what matters.

As for last year's times? Punchestown alone is a new course but picked up by strava as the same lap, so EVERY time from last year is far quicker, comparison is impossible.

I gave up my Sunday. I had a laugh. I was able to look around the course and see where the other lads were. Lap times didn't matter.

Nice to have, but really not essential to the enjoyment of the sport. It may be for you of course, but I don't think it's fair to wipe the gloss off what was a great event by some amazing volunteers because of timing chips.

Also, how are people giving up their day? That IS their day.

No racers = no race, just give the race positions and times, it's not rocket science!!

This is how it's done: http://www.ulstercyclocross.com/Results/Ulster_Cyclo_cross_2015_Round_2_Necarne_Results.htm

No racers = no race, just give the race positions and times, it's not rocket science!!

This is how it's done: http://www.ulstercyclocross.com/Results/Ulster_Cyclo_cross_2015_Round_2_Necarne_Results.htm

No organiser = no race.

I've done the same. I know how to do it and how much effort it takes. Whether or not it is rocket science is of no consequence. How much effort it takes versus how much benefit is gained is what matters.

Perspective is what matters here. All that really matters is the top 3.

And for proof: http://pastehtml.com/view/cl3syt4il.html
    It took a lot of effort to do that.

My final post on the matter...

A lot of us who come from an off-road background are used to having the results up online later the same day, like they do in the races up North, it's a pretty basic thing to expect to see... otherwise it's just a training spin i'm paying €20 for, and I can do that for free around the park with Strava..

Peace...Out..

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭foxer3640

(Half of lap 1 and lap 2 of the B race)

That was me in the black verge kit that you were behind at about 3 minutes into the video... I got caught in my cleat and fell at the first off bike section. Nice video well done ðŸ‘

My final post on the matter...

A lot of us who come from an off-road background are used to having the results up online later the same day, like they do in the races up North, it's a pretty basic thing to expect to see... otherwise it's just a training spin i'm paying €20 for, and I can do that for free around the park with Strava..

Peace...Out..

How do those guys keep track of times? I am all for improvements when it can be balanced against a cost and effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭foxer3640

(Half of lap 1 and lap 2 of the B race)

That was me in the black verge kit that you were behind at about 3 minutes into the video... I got caught in my cleat and fell at the first off bike section. Nice video well done ðŸ‘

Why do you expect it? Where in the entry form or race description was this specified?

Are you a lawyer? Just askin'. ;)
    Unless you're competing for the win in cx, just enjoy it

Wait, wait, I don't fancy digging the thread, but did you not say anything about taking a better place next time after Grange?
    I was able to look around the course and see where the other lads were.

After 5 laps I had absolutely no idea where I was. People lapped mixed with those ahead.
    No racers = no race,
    No organiser = no race.

Guys, please. ;)
    otherwise it's just a training spin i'm paying €20 for, and I can do that for free around the park with Strava..

My thoughts exactly. Racing is finding yourself against others, live.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Ah, confusion...

No, I'm in an Orwell bubble. I was only looking to see where they were (behind me, woop!) and that I do better than them in the next race.

It's our race within a race...it's currently tied at 1-1.

Hey, I'd love to compete in the Bs, but after 2 races and one spin in the park...that won't be happening any time soon! Give me another few weeks!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    Ah, confusion...

No, I'm in an Orwell bubble. I was only looking to see where they were (behind me, woop!) and that I do better than them in the next race.

It's our race within a race...it's currently tied at 1-1.

Hey, I'd love to compete in the Bs, but after 2 races and one spin in the park...that won't be happening any time soon! Give me another few weeks!!!

Think I came last in the race within a race, so the way I look at it,things can't get any worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Svenness

RobFowl wrote: »
    Lurgan I heard

Nice one thanks.

Hear anything else? ha

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

Raam wrote: »
    How do those guys keep track of times? I am all for improvements when it can be balanced against a cost and effort.

Timing chips and they have volunteers calling out and manually recording numbers. The Ulster races have an army of volunteers - way more than I've ever seen at the races around Dublin. Think around 100 people volunteered for the race in Falls Park last year!

Wait, wait, I don't fancy digging the thread, but did you not say anything about taking a better place next time after Grange.

Yeah I would have liked to have won.

It's hard to comprehend the amount of effort it takes to organise a race until you actually do it Alek, I suggest you try it and then come back to this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭inc21

Irish people tend to vote with their feet. Race could have many positives like course and rugby and so on, throw in one negative and people talk argue for a long time. Timing obviously is important for some here on Boards and there is many more that are not here. I'd say there is a reason why b in Fixx sold out in 24h.

I suggest you try it and then come back to this thread.

I don't get your negativity.

I have already said couple of posts above that I may volunteer myself if there is a need for what I have suggested.

I have already said couple of posts above that I may volunteer myself if there is a need for what I have suggested.

That post reads more negatively than was intended.

I just don't think you realise the effort that goes into hosting a race. I've raced road for the best part of 5 years and track for 2, and outside of the top 8-10 its anybodies guess where you placed (unless its a stage race where time actually matters), and there is no such thing as a lap time. And in fact, on the track if you are lapped you are pulled out of the race. I suspect it is even harder to do this in a cross race with such a short circuit, unless you have the luxury of chip timing. Getting your times at the end of the races should be seen as a luxury.

Unless contesting a win, I don't get too caught up on places, I just enjoy it. The only places that really matter are the podiun, and unfortunately that is beyond my abilities right now in a cx race.

• Advertisement

You should volunteer to take placings and lap times at the finish line of the next dccx race.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement