Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lenny, Alek and Rob's cyclo crossbromance

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Yes, very true, it's a long day for race organisers running the kiddies races early on, and then doing the sign on for the senior races also..

I'd rather see a separate women s race than any support events like the MTB one they have up north...

There have been suggestions from some of the Ulster camp about a women, junior and vets race like they run elsewhere if the women's field isn't large enough to warrant a separate race. Think that could work if it was B vets, the A vets are too fast and I wouldn't imagine they would want a 45 min race.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,637 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

nak wrote: »
    There have been suggestions from some of the Ulster camp about a women, junior and vets race like they run elsewhere if the women's field isn't large enough to warrant a separate race. Think that could work if it was B vets, the A vets are too fast and I wouldn't imagine they would want a 45 min race.

The A vets make up a large percentage of the numbers i'd say, and sure technically Seymour and Zippy are Vets so definitely too fast! :D

Maybe it would encourage more women to race if there was a separate race?

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    The A vets make up a large percentage of the numbers i'd say, and sure technically Seymour and Zippy are Vets so definitely too fast! :D

Maybe it would encourage more women to race if there was a separate race?

Seymour races as senior, Zippy races as a vet.

The women's race in Lady Dixon was great - juniors started after us, so think there was around 40 in the race, any less than that and it's not ideal as there is a big difference in ability amongst the field - no one likes being on their own for a whole race, just turns it into an off-road TT.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,831 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Alek wrote: »
    [

(Half of lap 1 and lap 2 of the B race)

Quality overtaking there, you musta made up 20 places in one lap!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Cheers, I had to do something about that awful start of mine... Years of Dublin commuting certainly helped :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 Svenness

Is there any new details on Nationals? On January 10th I believe,but location and other details were TBD.

Any news?

Unfortunately I don't know the answer to your question, but nice nick, Svenness ;)

Welcome to the Party.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Svenness

Unfortunately I don't know the answer to your question, but nice nick, Svenness ;)

Welcome to the Party.

ha ha Cheers Alek. Been lurking here a long time but figured it was about time I signed up.

Hopefully we get more info soonish.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Lurgan I heard

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭easygoing39

I wonder which will arrive 1st,the annoucement of the venue for the Nationals,or the the results from the A race at Punchestown???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

I wonder which will arrive 1st,the annoucement of the venue for the Nationals,or the the results from the A race at Punchestown???

Sure we know who won the A race.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Your forum moniker is a lie.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭easygoing39

Sure we all knew the winner of the A race from a week before the event,but maybe the other 60 or so riders would like to know where they finished???

Sure we all knew the winner of the A race from a week before the event,but maybe the other 60 or so riders would like to know where they finished???

They finished not first. I'm going to guess that the organiser has kids, a job and his own training to do.

Having raced, yes, I also like to get results as soon as possible.

Having organised races, I know that once the event is done and the podium is secure, life itself takes over and the lad who finished 13th or 42nd or whatever can just wait a few days.

I wonder why there is no video camera recording the race at the finish line, just as a backup in case something happens - regardless if the event is chipped or not.

It would be quite easy to review the footage and correct results in case of any doubts.

I wonder why there is no video camera recording the race at the finish line, just as a backup in case something happens - regardless if the event is chipped or not.

It would be quite easy to review the footage and correct results in case of any doubts.

Lack of resources may be one reason, why not volunteer to do it yourself in the races you're not taking part in.

I think I would be able to borrow/donate a camera + a tripod plus some technical support, but if I'm not taking part in a race its usually because I cannot be there.

I think I would be able to borrow/donate a camera + a tripod plus some technical support, but if I'm not taking part in a race its usually because I cannot be there.

I don't think you understand what volunteering means.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭comete

The age old discussion for road race finishes has now entered cyclocross.

I don't see much value in a video camera, although there could be some. The difficulty and importance lies with tracking people throughout the race so that you know how many laps people have done and consequently who has been lapped.

• Advertisement

If you review the video after the race, noting the numbers as they pass the finish line against the the timecode, it gives you effectively the same result as chips or manual counting during the race. Takes two people and possibly 2h time, but can save the day if the other method fails like recently.

If you review the video after the race, noting the numbers as they pass the finish line against the the timecode, it gives you effectively the same result as chips or manual counting during the race. Takes two people and possibly 2h time, but can save the day if the other method fails like recently.

There's your volunteering time.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭comete

For the vast majority, running races is a pastime, not a job.

They will already have invested a lot of man hours in getting insurance, securing the course, building the course, and hosting the race....I'm sure the last thing they want is to go home and view a video to get their results right.

Maybe for the national championships, but for league races I doubt it.

What is this supposed two hours of post-race effort for? The podium has been protected, which is the most vital thing. The top 10 is usually the most straight forward to get right. Everything else is really inconsequential. These things are done by volunteers, largely. The last thing I wanted to do after organising a race is watch two hours of people struggling over a finish line for little or no gain on my part. I think too much is expected of race organisers.

If it's a league... points for the top 5 or 6, and a couple of points for all those who start. Keep it simple.

Some people are taking the men's B race way too seriously, saw a man sprint to cross the line before a 10 year old on Sunday. Hope he was proud of himself.

I'm not saying I could not spend my time post race doing this if necessary, its easier for me to find it around midnight than during the day.

It was a mere suggestion, if there is a need for such thing I may help.
    There's your volunteering time.

Mine or/and someone else. Don't get your point?
    What is this supposed two hours of post-race effort for?

Most people are interested in the place they took, that's all.
    Some people are taking the men's B race way too seriously

It wasn't me, but its a race after all, everyone should be able to take it as serious as they please.

In my honest opinion, it is not entirely safe for a 10 year old to be there at all.

I think cyclocross was about having fun when this thread started? Did I miss something along the way?

I think cyclocross was about having fun when this thread started? Did I miss something along the way?

Like any bike race, it's about winning.

Like any bike race, it's about winning.

In the A race it is about being x number of places behind Robin :P
    I think cyclocross was about having fun when this thread started?

Is it exclusive, having fun and knowing your place? Or enjoying a ride and checking it on Strava later?

• Advertisement

In the A race it is about being x number of places behind Robin :P

Is it exclusive, having fun and knowing your place? Or enjoying a ride and checking it on Strava later?

In a professional race, yes... knowing your place is an expectation.
    In a non-championship, amateur race, I think knowing your place is a bonus, not to be expected and not to be lamented when it isn't provided. We pay to race, not to be given laps times and positions when out of the top positions.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement