Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lenny, Alek and Rob's cyclo crossbromance

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,589 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

RobFowl wrote: »
    Reminds me that we used to have cross races in the Phoenix park. Wonder if TD's like Emmett Stagg would support us trying to get them back there....

The OPW will ignore the Emmet Staggs in the park... But anything two wheels is a big No No and erm... No!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    The OPW will ignore the Emmet Staggs in the park... But anything two wheels is a big No No and erm... No!

except for duathlons....

lennymc wrote: »
    except for duathlons....

I guess cos half of it involves running... and the cycling bit... well... it's a duathlon! :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

I guess cos half of it involves running... and the cycling bit... well... it's a duathlon! :D

MTBs still shouldn't be allowed though ;)

RobFowl wrote: »
    Reminds me that we used to have cross races in the Phoenix park.

Ahhh...them's were the days!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭Ryath

There still plenty of spaces in the A race so are MTBs really a problem. I'd say there are more sandbaggers in the B race who should be in with the As's than lads on MTBs. I'd like to get a cross bike but already bought a hardtail mtb this year with an eye to the fact I could try out a B CX race on it. If only crossbikes were allowed it may have changed my mind about what I went for. Not a huge cross scene in the midlands so not too many who I could borrow one from to try. It's a lot of money to spend on a bike I may only get to race a few times a year. I'd possibly get more use of a TT bike but that's dearer again

Have bought 3 bikes in the last two years so wife would kill me if I got another now, probably should sell my Px pro carbon. It was my first road bike though I'm quite attached to it and the seat post is seized. And it's handy too as a spare/ bad weather race bike.

Hopefully I'll have the funds for one next year though I was hoping hydraulic disc brakes would have filtered down a little and would be at an option at closer to the €1000 mark. Cube cross at a bit over €1500 is cheapest option in I can find in lbs. It may actually be cheaper to buy a sora or tiagra mechanical disc cx bike and upgrade later to hydraulic for bit over €400-€500.

Budget local option is this
    http://www.halfords.ie/cycling/bikes/road-bikes/boardman-cx-comp-bike
    or
    http://www.halfords.ie/cycling/bikes/road-bikes/boardman-cx-team-bike

Online Evans have a good range with some good value in hydraulic disc braked bikes
    http://www.evanscycles.com/categories/bikes/cyclocross-bikes/f#!!page=1;per_page=99;price_to=6263;sort=asc

Any recommendations for best bang for buck option.

the boardman cx comp is a lot of bike for the money (imho). Think it was designed before halfords bought the brand. It's not the lightest, but it's a good price. There are a few lads racing them without any problems, and if you know someone with an Axa card you get a further 10% off.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Ahhh...them's were the days!

What's the particular location in the Park? I though it may have been around Kyper, but could not see Magazine Fort in the footage...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

Alek wrote: »
    What's the particular location in the Park? I though it may have been around Kyper, but could not see Magazine Fort in the footage...

The fort is in a few of the shots. What with all the mtb talk, it's funny to see in that clip someone on a town bike complete with mudguards, rear rack and what looks like a kick stand on it.:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭onthefringe

• Advertisement

I should learn remounting from this kiddo

:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭onthefringe

hes quicker than me!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭comete

I am not going to make it tomorrow, space going for the B race if anyone is looking..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Crackin race, crackin course. I enjoyed that. Just back now and in the couch for the rugby.
    First outing for my cx bike and no mechanicals, no falls, no clipping in/out problems. Delighted. I think I was about 12th in the starting grid and 59th by the first corner :rolleyes:

Quite bumpy going around and bone dry really. The first foresty dusty down hilly bit was very technical and very easy to lose the front on.

Great venue though, very well organised. Loadsa parking, loadsa toilets, kudos to dccx :)

The first foresty dusty down hilly bit was very technical and very easy to lose the front on.

Yup!

365944.jpg

Christ that hurt. Great tough and technical course. Very well run and lovely beer afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭easygoing39

I forgot about the beer,and I never saw any of it today.Might be due to the fact that once my race was over I headed straight to my car,got changed and left.
    Very well run event,tough course and well done to Robin on the win.

UCI cyclocross world cup Round 2 - Valkenburg.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭detones

Very well organised event. My first cx race. Was painful but enjoyed it. Accomplished my 2 goals. 1. Finish Race 2. Not crash. Was a bit of carnage on first lap around me. Witnessed 4 separate crashes. Lads in ditches, hitting trees, going over handle bars. Calmed down after that. I was surprised that I handled the technical stuff pretty well and would pass guys on that but I got passed a lot on the straights. Don't have race legs yet. Roll on next one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Great race, really well run and a superb atmosphere down at the finish line!

Quite enjoyed that course even though I was dreading it after hearing it was fairly lumpy and rough, it was actually grand. Not too many places to recover which was good, felt like a proper race! I think I had another couple of laps in me so probably need to sort out my warming up...tootling around for one lap beforehand is not good prep!

Had a good chat with some lad from "Revolution cycles" I think on the 3rd or 4th lap...we ended up debating the NZ v France game! You don't get that on the road.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,598 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    You don't get that on the road.
    Wait until you get into the vets - coffee stop on lap 2 for the guys in Race 3.....

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭foxer3640

Any results up for today? Great course great atmosphere what more could you ask for ðŸ‘

looks like fun. pity i missed it. Looking forward to next week

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

Extremely well organised race today and thanks to all in DCCX for a great event. CX is now so popular that it should not have been a surprise to see a jam-packed carpark as we rolled in at 12.15pm - approaching fashionably late but with no practice on during the B race it was actually perfect timing.
    Thanks again to all those who gave up their race so I could.
    As for the race I found it required constant attention, there weren't too many places to coast along idly wondering about Ireland v. Argentina.
    Had a standard start, standard for me being somewhere near the back of mid-pack. On a good wheel and feeling groovy when unfortunately the good wheel jack-knifed and I went straight over both him, his bike and my handle-bars. With catlike agility he managed to catch my bike in mid-air and hand it back to me so only lost about 10 places there but then dropped a chain on the first little kicker exiting the field and lost another 15 places.
    After that it my usual puffing and panting and trying to pass a few whilst keeping a weather eye out behind for the approach of the Robinator, didn't get lapped today which was nice and have a new bike coming soon, a Trek from Wheelworx, so then there'll be even less excuses :)

thanks again for a great race, big screen rugby, beer and cake. Well done to all, especially Detones on his virgin race on the new bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Not so many snapperazzi at this round. But if anyone has links to pics, fire em up please. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Here's one pic.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭detones

Thanks Peterx. Didn't get off to the best of starts. Called a bemused Robfowl for directions when I got to the racecourse. I couldn't see any sign of bikes or cyclist or anything remotely looking like a cross race. Lets just say I won't mix up leopardstown and punchestown again and thankfully the b race ran late!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭inc21

He was the man out with a big lens today.

https://www.facebook.com/sean.rowe.545?fref=ts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭easygoing39

@ PeterX,I had no drama's myself in the A race today,no crashes or stumbles,and I still got lapped by Robin.Big respect to you for keeping ahead of Irelands offroad King despite losing all those places.If you hadnt have lost then 25 places you would have nearly won today!!!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement