Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second coming of the Pope to coincide with General Election issue of 8th amendment?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Metroboulot

Shrap wrote: »
    FYP :)

4000 that we know of!
    I suspect that figure is highly conservative.

Many people give false information in England (could be a friend or relatives address) and how many people may be going elsewhere ? Ireland has a very high % of people who are born in other EU countries and many Irish people may be married to, going out with or otherwise connected to other EU nationals who might just automatically look towards Poland, Netherlands, Spain, France etc?

As far as I'm aware that stat for the UK is for people giving Irish addresses. Irish citizens have absolutely no obligation whatsoever to register to live in Britian nor do UK citizens here (other than for tax / social welfare). We're seen as "non aliens" in each other's countries. The NHS doesn't ask for welfare / national insurance details as its open access - the EU's only contrary that doesn't require EHIC cards for example. You're treated because you showed up and are in need of treatment.

Oddly, despite Thatcher, it's survived like that.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

To be honest I am not interested in the image of a live child instead of a dead one.

You mean a fetus surely?
    You consider this a child (4 weeks)? -

http://www.sciencemuseum.org.uk/~/media/RWSCIM/WhoAmI/FindOutMore/A/Afourweekoldhumanembryo1-2-3-1-5-0-0-0-0-0-0.jpg

Pretty sure no properly educated medical Dr will agree with you, its a fetus. Not a child.

I wonder in a referendum here though how many of the online people will be largely having the US debate.

I got the impression some of the No posters on here during the same sex marriage debate were perhaps engaged in the US media / online debates and didn't understand the modern Irish electorate's attitudes are probably way out of step with that.

It will be interesting to see what happens when a referendum on this is ultimately called.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

The phrases used by those who opposed marriage equality were exactly what I expected, using the US playbook. I see the same with the stock phrases of prominent prolifers. It's like playing bingo seeing them all use and repeas the same terms.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

It will be interesting to see what happens when a referendum on this is ultimately called.

Agreed,
    Bottom line is we put the issue to a vote so the people of Ireland can decide this matter.

Thats a reasonable request,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭volchitsa

lazygal wrote: »
    The phrases used by those who opposed marriage equality were exactly what I expected, using the US playbook. I see the same with the stock phrases of prominent prolifers. It's like playing bingo seeing them all use and repeas the same terms.

True. One of the things I notice is the regular use of "mom", which makes me think many of the online posters may actually be in the US. And so will not be voting here. :)

volchitsa wrote: »
    True. One of the things I notice is the regular use of "mom", which makes me think many of the online posters may actually be in the US. And so will not be voting here. :)
    One person from Iona uses 'daycare' all the time, when most people here would call it childcare. Tells me exactly where he's getting most of his information and speaking notes.

One person from Iona uses 'daycare' all the time, when most people here would call it childcare. Tells me exactly where he's getting most of his information and speaking notes.

I know numerous people that work in creches and I've never once, not ever heard them say daycare. (not to mention any sisters etc that have kids in creches that never use the term daycare)
    Its def not a common term in Ireland by any stretch,

volchitsa wrote: »

Or people who just watch too much telly and think they're in the OC.

Cabaal wrote: »
    I know numerous people that work in creches and I've never once, not ever heard them say daycare. (not to mention any sisters etc that have kids in creches that never use the term daycare)
    Its def not a common term in Ireland by any stretch,
    I have two children in 'daycare'. I have never heard any of my friends use the term for their childcare arrangements, ever.

• Advertisement

I have two children in 'daycare'. I have never heard any of my friends use the term for their childcare arrangements, ever.

Nor have I. It stands out like "oh darn I've just dropped my cellphone in my soda!"

Nor have I. It stands out like "oh darn I've just dropped my cellphone in my soda!"
    Boy howdy you sound like a goofball. Lemme see if I have a wetwipe in my fannypack.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭frostyjacks

Cabaal wrote: »
    Just on yesterdays question...has a pregnancy happened out of rape.

Yes, on the Island of Ireland just recently,

http://www.thejournal.ie/arrest-12-year-old-pregnant-west-belfast-2372731-Oct2015/

Still think abortion in cases of rape is wrong?

Yes, I do. We're talking about a life here, a living thing that has rights, irrespective of how it was conceived. Who gave you the right to say who should live or die?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

The girl is also a living thing, but you seem to care little about her. Then again, I'm not surprised.

Yes, I do. We're talking about a life here, a living thing that has rights, irrespective of how it was conceived. Who gave you the right to say who should live or die?

Oh you're back. Any information on forced abortions? Do born women and children have any rights to their health not being affected by forced gestation?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Normal English grammar requires that we use the relative pronoun "what" about a "thing", with "who" being reserved for people.

It's indicative of your schizophrenic approach to the issue that you can't even be consistent within a single sentence. :rolleyes:

You've decided to give it alot less rights at 24hrs old then it does at 1 week old, who made you executioner? Hell, you've given more rights to a 4 week old bunch of cells then to the health and mental well being of any women.

In my book, a living, breathing child or women who is pregnant takes priority over a 4 week old fetus every single time. No question about it.

If they want an abortion I'll support them in anyway I can,

I guess it's about equality. We made the front pages around the world in the summer when we added equality into the constitution. Now the same cheerleaders are looking to remove rights from the constitution because it doesn't fit in with their agenda.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Shrap

I guess it's about equality. We made the front pages around the world in the summer when we added equality into the constitution. Now the same cheerleaders are looking to remove rights from the constitution because it doesn't fit in with their agenda.

So according to our resident proponents of the status quo, so far today the reasons we want to change the constitution are a) so the likes of some numbskull can get a nose job and b) so that we can even up putting something IN the constitution by taking something else OUT.

It seems to have genuinely escaped both of you that this standard of thinking is very much indicative of how you reach the conclusion that an adult women is on a par with a (say, 4 - 9 week old) human embryo, which has more in common with a dog/cow/chicken embryo than it does with a newborn baby.

This is the latest guff from people like Cora Sherlock, that the eighth amendment is the original equality amendment. How is compulsory gestation for all pregnant women and children equality of any kind?

• Advertisement

This is the latest guff from people like Cora Sherlock, that the eighth amendment is the original equality amendment. How is compulsory gestation for all pregnant women and children equality of any kind?

An equal right to life. Why is that such a difficult concept for some to grasp?

Jesus H.

Because it's this life:
    an adult woman
    And this life:
    a (say, 4 - 9 week old) human embryo, which has more in common with a dog/cow/chicken embryo than it does with a newborn baby
    that you're trying to equate.

Like I said, you're deliberately missing something there in your thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,156 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Why would blastocysts and embryos have an equal right to life with a fully grown adult man?

But there is no equal right to life. If a woman's life is at risk her life is the priority. And the unborn can be taken elsewhere to be killed. Should the rights to travel and information be repealed?

Pherekydes wrote: »
    Why would blastocysts and embryos have an equal right to life with a fully grown adult man?

Ah sure, that's an easy one from his position I'd imagine. Of course!! (although as it will never be put to the test....it's an easy thing to say)

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭martinjudge73

I know lots of expats and non natives who don't want to relocate here because of the health and education systems, both of which are far too influenced by policies and laws of a bygone age. I am seriously doubtful about having another child in Ireland if, even when I'm dead, the state has more say over my uterus than I do.

I work for a multinational. There have been dozens of expats here. they have nothing but praise for Ireland. 67,462 babies born here last year.

We have nine maternal deaths per 100,000 live births.

So despite what pro-choice amnesty int media briefings say.. we have not way near the bottom of the league or anywhere near it.

Its safer to have a child in Ireland than the USA, and no worse that the UK.

We are not letting women die in Ireland.

Infact I happen to work with many americans who come here for assignments and they always comment of the pro-family environment. They liked the primary schools, while their kids were not Catholic, the school got a protestant pastor to give religion class.

So I can tell you 100% the abortion is not a hinderance for investment into Ireland at all. Its TAX , nothing more or less.

So I can tell you 100% the abortion is not a hinderance for investment into Ireland at all. Its TAX , nothing more or less.

Your thinking is skewed in one direction only. Your's. In my experience (like others on this thread) people I know have stated to me that they wouldn't be inclined to move here, despite the gorgeous country and people. The reason? Women's choice restrictions. I realise that my thinking is also skewed towards choice and people I meet are generally of a mind with me. Like the people you meet are of a mind with you. However, in the broader world, Ireland is absolutely seen as a restrictive culture for a woman of reproductive age to live, and that has nothing to do with who you or I are meeting and everything to do with choice.

I note that you're not actually addressing my comment about you trivialising women's reasons for abortion and the lack of respect you've shown towards them?

Shrap wrote: »
    Your thinking is skewed in one direction only. Your's. In my experience (like others on this thread) people I know have stated to me that they wouldn't be inclined to move here, despite the gorgeous country and people. The reason? Women's choice restrictions. I realise that my thinking is also skewed towards choice and people I meet are generally of a mind with me. Like the people you meet are of a mind with you. However, in the broader world, Ireland is absolutely seen as a restrictive culture for a woman of reproductive age to live, and that has nothing to do with who you or I are meeting and everything to do with choice.

I note that you're not actually addressing my comment about you trivialising women's reasons for abortion and the lack of respect you've shown towards them?

My thinking is based on the facts. To say that companies can't get people to come to Ireland because we don't have abortion because it would put women at risk is a lie, and the facts don't back this up. Our constitution and laws don't put womens life at risk. Just because women like josie cunningham can't have an abortion on demand so they can have a nose job, does not mean that women are at risk in Ireland because we give the child and mother the right to life.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

On the flip side to Josie Cunningham, you have Savita Halappanavar, along with thousands of women who've either been raped, are at the serious risk of damage to their mental/physical health or have had their foetus diagnosed with a fatal/severely life-limiting abnormality.

• Advertisement

Exactly.. We are unique. We are the ONLY country that gave our spectacular gay people the right to marry. (Very proud day for Ireland... ) that does not have on demand abortion. We value human life in all is shapes and forms.. big and small.
    Labour is running away with itself.. Which I support GM.. I would never support abortion on demand.

Advertisement