Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second coming of the Pope to coincide with General Election issue of 8th amendment?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭martinjudge73

lazygal wrote: »
    Why are some people so obsessed with the reasons why a woman choses an abortion? Plenty of idiots stay pregnant and give birth to children they don't care about, we don't have all the hand wringing about their motivations. The goal really does seem to be gestation and birth at all costs, regardless of the girl or woman who has to do the gestating.

Whatever way you dress it up.. Its killing a child, nothing more or less.

Of course when a mothers life is a risk. That is another story. But most abortions are not the result of a treat to the mothers life.

I heard someone once comparing getting pregnant to an STD..

As i say to my girls, better to face the reality of your actions.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Whatever way you dress it up.. Its killing a child, nothing more or less.

Of course when a mothers life is a risk. That is another story. But most abortions are not the result of a treat to the mothers life.

I heard someone once comparing getting pregnant to an STD..

As i say to my girls, better to face the reality of your actions.
    How is getting an abortion not facing the reality of your actions?

Why does a child's right to life go out the window because a woman's life is at risk?

Whatever way you dress it up, forced gestation for all pregnant women and girls is not a workable policy.

How is getting an abortion not facing the reality of your actions?

Why does a child's right to life go out the window because a woman's life is at risk?

Whatever way you dress it up, forced gestation for all pregnant women and girls is not a workable policy.

I see "forced Gestation" used a lot. That term seems to have replaced the word "Baby"... Obviously if the pregnancy is going to kill the mother then you have to treat this. That is not a pro-choice matter.. its just facing the sad reality of the situation. I doubt Mother & Doctor deliberately set out to kill the child..

Just saw in DM.

Abortion clinic sent devastated woman ultrasound pictures of the baby she had terminated after she complained about her treatment
    Ms Windsor, who has chosen not to disclose the reasons behind her abortion, says she has suffered from nightmares since receiving the card last Thursday.

Why do you think she is having nightmares???

• Registered Users Posts: 11,884 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

I love how you're totally ignoring the risks pregnancy poses to the mother's long-term health, not to mention underage mothers and rape victims.

I see "forced Gestation" used a lot. That term seems to have replaced the word "Baby"... Obviously if the pregnancy is going to kill the mother then you have to treat this. That is not a pro-choice matter.. its just facing the sad reality of the situation. I doubt Mother & Doctor deliberately set out to kill the child..

Just saw in DM.

Abortion clinic sent devastated woman ultrasound pictures of the baby she had terminated after she complained about her treatment

Why do you think she is having nightmares???
    Why would a baby's life be put at risk just because a woman's life is at risk? The Daily Mail, really? Are we back to anecdotes as data again?

How else would you categorise compelling women and children who don't want to remain pregnant to remain so, regardless of their wishes or health? Is that not forced gestation?

• Advertisement

Why would a baby's life be put at risk just because a woman's life is at risk? The Daily Mail, really? Are we back to anecdotes as data again?

How else would you categorise compelling women and children who don't want to remain pregnant to remain so, regardless of their wishes or health? Is that not forced gestation?

So you kill the child because you don't want it. Right?

I love how you're totally ignoring the risks pregnancy poses to the mother's long-term health, not to mention underage mothers and rape victims.
    It is almost as though some people see pregnancy and birth as entirely separate from the child or woman who has to gestate the foetus. As though all of us females are entirely unaffected by pregnancy and birth, and it has no short, medium or long term effects on us whatsoever.

This view being challenged is usually followed up with some anecdote about a Very Brave Woman Who Stayed Pregnant Despite 'INSERT TERRIBLE BUT LEGIMATE REASON WHY SHE COULD HAVE HAD AN ABORTION' and Now It Is All Grand. So All Other Women Should Stay Pregnant Too.

So you kill the child because you don't want it. Right?

Which child? I have two children and I haven't a notion of killing them. Are you referring to a foetus? Is taking an abortion pill before 12 weeks exactly the same as me deciding I don't want my children any more so I'll kill them? Should the women who import and take those pills be charged with murder? What solution do you propose for the 4,000 girls and women who wish to have an abortion and travel to do so?

I also note you haven't provided any information on your claims on voting in a referendum or any answers to why a baby could be killed, to use your terms, because a woman's life is at risk.

Which child? I have two children and I haven't a notion of killing them. Are you referring to a foetus? Is taking an abortion pill before 12 weeks exactly the same as me deciding I don't want my children any more so I'll kill them? Should the women who import and take those pills be charged with murder? What solution do you propose for the 4,000 girls and women who wish to have an abortion and travel to do so?

I also note you haven't provided any information on your claims on voting in a referendum or any answers to why a baby could be killed, to use your terms, because a woman's life is at risk.

Feotus.. Toddler... Baby. apply the label you want to a childs development. At any level killing it is wrong.

As for claims on the referendum. If the government thought it would pass they would have held it. What is holding them back. its not like Enda Kenny is the love child of the church.. Is he?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Once and for all an embryo or foetus is not a child. No person who is in favour of legalizing abortion would kill an actual child or condone the killing of one.

• Advertisement

eviltwin wrote: »
    Once and for all an embryo or foetus is not a child. No person who is in favour of legalizing abortion would kill an actual child or condone the killing of one.

Thats what the tell us. Yet if you look across the pond to the US that is not what is actually happening. A child at 25 weeks .. is a child, and can survive outside the womb.. Yet they allow them to be aborted.

Thats what the tell us. Yet if you look across the pond to the US that is not what is actually happening. A child at 25 weeks .. is a child, and can survive outside the womb.. Yet they allow them to be aborted.

How many women are waiting until the third trimester to have abortions, seriously now.

How many women are waiting until the third trimester to have abortions, seriously now.

1,100 babies in England and Wales are aborted every year because of Down's syndrome, an increase from 300 in 1989/90. Which you can't test in the first 3 months.

So seriously.. Either you give rights to the child or you don't. At the moment we have equal rights for the child and the mother to life. The Mother has the legal right to life and so does the child. No argument can make someone who sees the unborn child for what it is would allow it die.

Evidence? Why the obsession with later term abortions when the vast majority take place before 12 weeks. Maybe some late term abortions save women's lives.

1,100 babies in England and Wales are aborted every year because of Down's syndrome, an increase from 300 in 1989/90. Which you can't test in the first 3 months.

So seriously.. Either you give rights to the child or you don't. At the moment we have equal rights for the child and the mother to life. The Mother has the legal right to life and so does the child. No argument can make someone who sees the unborn child for what it is would allow it die.

Why does a woman's right to life take precedence over the foetus?

That's a tiny percentage of the overall number of abortions. And those families aren't doing anything wrong. In fact I would say if you've planned to have a baby it must be fairly devastating to find out its got a serious disability and to then have to decide what to do.

Why does a woman's right to life take precedence over the foetus?

It doesn't. But its wrong to kill Mother and Child when you could save the mother by ending the pregnancy. Its not a matter of choice.

It doesn't. But its wrong to kill Mother and Child when you could save the mother by ending the pregnancy. Its not a matter of choice.

Why is it the woman's life that takes precedence in a life or death situation?

That's a tiny percentage of the overall number of abortions. And those families aren't doing anything wrong. In fact I would say if you've planned to have a baby it must be fairly devastating to find out its got a serious disability and to then have to decide what to do.

So we should kill kids with disabilities? I will tell that to my sister. That argument galvanises me to be pro-life. While I have NO RELIGIOUS affiliation.. Sadly I get landed with the Rosary ladies.. But no matter what some guy in a dress says.. Killing children is wrong.

So we should kill kids with disabilities? I will tell that to my sister. That argument galvanises me to be pro-life. While I have NO RELIGIOUS affiliation.. Sadly I get landed with the Rosary ladies.. But no matter what some guy in a dress says.. Killing children is wrong.

I didn't actually say that did I?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,156 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Of course it's a matter of choice. Why would you prioritise the life of a fully grown woman, possibly with a job and maybe other children, over the life of a blastocyst or embryo?

Aren't they in fact equal?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,884 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

None of the statistics provided here show any more than 2% for abortions after 20 weeks. Also, 42 US states have some restrictions on late-term abortions, four of which ban abortion in all cases except a threat to the mother's life and another four ban abortion in all cases except a threat to the mother's life or long-term health.

I see you're still ignoring the long-term health effects pregnancy can have on a mother, along with rape victims.

None of the statistics provided here show any more than 2% for abortions after 20 weeks. Also, 42 US states have on late-term abortions, four of which ban abortion in all cases except a threat to the mother's life and another four ban abortion in all cases except a threat to the mother's life or long-term health.

I see you're still ignoring the long-term health effects pregnancy can have on a mother, along with rape victims.

Had this discussion with my daughters.. can what people think or circumstances determine who should live and who should die?? Just today a friend of my daughter was telling her she was 8 weeks pregnant with photos of scans.

What makes us human is not what you think or anyone else. We started this road at conception and we should let nature take its course.

We remove the legal protection from our constitution and the unborn has no rights. It can be the most cherished child or medical waste. the nonsense its a foetus is stupid.. We were all once at that stage of development.

Are you opposed to ivf and the morning after pill too?

Are you opposed to ivf and the morning after pill too?

Isn't this thread on abortion?

You said life begins at conception. Should the morning after pill be banned? What about ivf?

If your concern is for the unborn then surely you object to the embryos regularly destroyed as a result of ivf and the map aren't you? And that happens legally here.

If your concern is for the unborn then surely you object to the embryos regularly destroyed as a result of ivf and the map aren't you? And that happens legally here.

What is the legal status of the embryo in Ireland in relation to the 8th amendment?

What is the legal status of the embryo in Ireland in relation to the 8th amendment?

It's not covered. I don't know the legality of it all but I'd imagine it's something to do with the point at which life begins being at implantation. But you said conception so that would cover ivf. Where is the outrage?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Shrap

Wasn't meant to be :confused:

Go figure.

Anyhow, as you were.........

Advertisement