Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

The logical also probably comes down to various other network planning issues such as where existing backhaul fiber networks run.

For instance, a village that already has FTTC cabinets, is much easier to do then an ADSL1 only village.

The village with FTTC cabinets already has plenty of fiber backhaul running to it and that in fact was probably why it first got FTTC.

While an ADSL1 only village is probably feed by point to point wireless links and has no fiber backhaul and is far away from the normal fiber backbone routes. Such a village would be far more expensive to do then the FTTC one, even though the FTTC village might be smaller, with less houses.

FTTC/VDSL was built with FTTH upgrade in mind and was future proofed for FTTC. FTTC was the foundations on which FTTH will be built out from. From a purely economic perspective, it makes far more sense for Eir to build out from places that already have FTTC, then start fresh from villages that don't have it.
    MBSnr wrote: »
    I'd agree with you here. I'm sure they feel there's a valid reason to do FTTH to a village in the middle of nowhere with 100 houses, ignoring other larger villages around it with poorer connections or none at all.

But I'm confused as to what that valid reason could be. It's not market share. The area they are targeting is already VDSL2 (according to irelandoffline.org), so the take up there would surely have to be very low as they're getting up to 24Mb already! The people there would mostly be connected with farming, the average age range would be above 50+ and people wouldn't have the need or the means to pay out x amount per month extra for faster internet.

The logic here is strange. Surely an area with a larger number of houses with only ADSL1, would have a greater number of people biting their hand off to take up the new service, than those already on ADSL2 running at up to 24Mb?! Go figure. It certainly annoys me anyhow.

I guess they are playing a strategic game here in relation to NBP and proving they can bring FTTH to remote areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

bk wrote: »
    The logical also probably comes down to various other network planning issues such as where existing backhaul fiber networks run.

For instance, a village that already has FTTC cabinets, is much easier to do then an ADSL1 only village.

The village with FTTC cabinets already has plenty of fiber backhaul running to it and that in fact was probably why it first got FTTC.

While an ADSL1 only village is probably feed by point to point wireless links and has no fiber backhaul and is far away from the normal fiber backbone routes. Such a village would be far more expensive to do then the FTTC one, even though the FTTC village might be smaller, with less houses.

FTTC/VDSL was built with FTTH upgrade in mind and was future proofed for FTTC. FTTC was the foundations on which FTTH will be built out from. From a purely economic perspective, it makes far more sense for Eir to build out from places that already have FTTC, then start fresh from villages that don't have it.

Unfortunately that logic doesn't apply here though. My village exch is on the fibre core network running ADSL1 with eVDSL (no FTTC). The village 16Kms to the West (due to get FTTH) is not shown on the Whereandwhen map with any blue lines nor does it currently run eVDSL. It is however connected to the core network via my local Exch. Therein lies my issue with their decision. My area is already on the core network running eVDSL (limited to those within 1.5Km) and ADSL1.

You'd have thought, based on your logic above which I agree with, it would be done before the village without anything...

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Any TDs hail from that village?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

One of the biggest complaints in the run up to the recent election in Meath was the state of the broadband or lack of it, looks like they have listened and Meath is getting a very substantial portion of rural areas sorted hopefully within the next 12 months. It has to be pressure from TD's as well as the ease of access/network make up in a given area. Population helps also.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,007 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Because we do not have the commercial data on which eir based their decisions, we cannot do other than make a best guess at the logic or otherwise of any decision.

Eir make commercial decisions that best suit them.
    We need to accept that and hope we happen to be in an area they decide to roll out.

If not then we depend on NBP.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I just checked the fibre map again and see what other fibre networks are in place and Dunshaughlin for its small size has quiet a bit of core fibre going into it. Perhaps this is why we will be in phase 1 of the rural FTTH scheme afterall.

The Core fibre which already exists is marked by the green lines, those are the lines you need to see coming into your area to make the job easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

Is it not at least possible that different people (with different competence) drew the blue lines. This would explain why some of them make sense and others don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,198 ✭✭✭plodder

Gonzo wrote: »
    One of the biggest complaints in the run up to the recent election in Meath was the state of the broadband or lack of it, looks like they have listened and Meath is getting a very substantial portion of rural areas sorted hopefully within the next 12 months. It has to be pressure from TD's as well as the ease of access/network make up in a given area. Population helps also.
    You can be sure that TDs will claim the credit, whether it was really a factor or not, which I doubt that it was tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

Your off your rocker, nothing to do with the TDs. Do you not think it was the same issues all over the country for TDs at the door step?

It's ease of access, population and need to upgrade the network more so than other places.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭mobil 222

pegasus1 wrote: »
    No, you did not understand it...

Put simply they run a cable from the exchange, each house they pass on the road with have tails left for them...got it?...where the blue line ends on the map is the amount of houses that particular fibre cable will serve.

If your house is further down the road, then that will be done in the next phase by eir , if they win the nbp contract..

Thats my thinking on it and it's logical..

Yes I think that will be the case
    I live about 150 Mtrs from the end of a Blue line and have been told that
    due to restrictions concerning NBP that i will not get FTTH in first phase

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭rob808

mobil 222 wrote: »
    Yes I think that will be the case
    I live about 150 Mtrs from the end of a Blue line and have been told that
    due to restrictions concerning NBP that i will not get FTTH in first phase
    I say Eir will win alot it be interesting to see if a bidder would connect up to Eir FTTH nettwork would they have to pay Eir for use of there network.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭pegasus1

rob808 wrote: »
    I say Eir will win alot it be interesting to see if a bidder would connect up to Eir FTTH nettwork would they have to pay Eir for use of there network.
    The fibre that will cover the blue lines, will have it's capacity fullfilled, Either Eir will run another dark/unused fibre cable to lay in wait at the end of the blue lines is anybodys guess, I reckon its not hard to pull another cable from scratch once they have the go ahead, If it is the case someone other than Eir get it they would use their own locations....

pegasus1 wrote: »
    The fibre that will cover the blue lines, will have it's capacity fullfilled, Either Eir will run another dark/unused fibre cable to lay in wait at the end of the blue lines is anybodys guess, I reckon its not hard to pull another cable from scratch once they have the go ahead, If it is the case someone other than Eir get it they would use their own locations....
    would they not have to connect to Eir fibre or how would they do it put down there own dark fibre.

They'd pay eir for duct and pole access as per the new access product proposed. Doubt anyone would though, would mean hiring huge numbers of repairs staff to be on call.

I wonder when will see start to see the actual laying of fibre starting. All the locations included in the first phase are a mixture of Autumn/Winter 2016 and Winter 2016 first live dates. Could some people see services starting as soon as October?

Also how long generally would it take to roll out to a given exchange area and will they connect people as they go along or wait for the entire fibre line to be completed before connecting anyone? Anyone from Balcarra can comment on this from experience?

You can't compare Belcarra really as that was a trial and a small scale operation.

OpenEir will have a plan but there's no point speculating on nothing. I would assume that build out will be separated from drops as they'll need to be by appointment with the homeowners and that's done via the retail ISPs.

ED E wrote: »
    They'd pay eir for duct and pole access as per the new access product proposed. Doubt anyone would though, would mean hiring huge numbers of repairs staff to be on call.
    well if that true the NBP in trouble and people near blue line.I know ENet put down there own poles and use some of Eir when they connect up 340 people to FTTH in Kerry to showcase what they could do if they won NBP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Slighty related but I got a look at an eir duct map for a certain area. On it were certain notations like 1x100 PP, 1x100 CD, 1X25 PH. I guess the 100 is diameter in mm but does anyone know what the PP, CD and PH mean?

Slighty related but I got a look at an eir duct map for a certain area. On it were certain notations like 1x100 PP, 1x100 CD, 1X25 PH. I guess the 100 is diameter in mm but does anyone know what the PP, CD and PH mean?

Type of pipe : ie concrete,earthinware, plastic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

mobil 222 wrote: »
    Type of pipe : ie concrete,earthinware, plastic

Thanks. Do you know the exact meanings? I guess PP is polypropene?

• Advertisement

Thanks. Do you know the exact meanings? I guess PP is polypropene?

PP is the duct they use now, concrete would be in the ground a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭Dr. Nick

I wonder when will see start to see the actual laying of fibre starting. All the locations included in the first phase are a mixture of Autumn/Winter 2016 and Winter 2016 first live dates. Could some people see services starting as soon as October?

Also how long generally would it take to roll out to a given exchange area and will they connect people as they go along or wait for the entire fibre line to be completed before connecting anyone? Anyone from Balcarra can comment on this from experience?

We're near the end of one of the blue lines but hell I can wait

Paying Ripplecom €50/mth for mehhh wireless from Tara mast at the moment, with packages on phone tv etc we'll save a fortune and get the best available internet in the country (Europe?). What's not to like? :D

Dr. Nick wrote: »
    We're near the end of one of the blue lines but hell I can wait

Paying Ripplecom €50/mth for mehhh wireless from Tara mast at the moment, with packages on phone tv etc we'll save a fortune and get the best available internet in the country (Europe?). What's not to like? :D

I really hope it works out for us, I still feel like I don't believe it till I see the engineers starting to lay fibre near my home! We still don't have any exact information other than looking at the blue lines on the map and reading the first named exchanges from last week's announcement.

Hopefully the fibrerollout.ie website will get updates soon in the county by county section showing a breakdown of townlands that are due to get upgraded in phase 1. Would be nice to have the fibre checkers on the website passing all the numbers in those areas with a message something like 'good news! Eir Fibre Extreme will be coming to your address November/December 2016'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭funnyname

My local exchange of Kilfenora is down for upgrade to FTTC in the first half of this year, however we are too far away from it to benefit hugely.

However I've noticed us down on this for upgrade to FTTH

http://fibrerollout.ie/where-and-when/clare/

But when I look at the map on

http://fibrerollout.ie/where-and-when/

there are no blue lines anywhere in Kilfenora, hopefully this is just a mistake and the former is correct, please tell me we're down to get FTTH.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,493 ✭✭✭✭guil

funnyname wrote: »
    My local exchange of Kilfenora is down for upgrade to FTTC in the first half of this year, however we are too far away from it to benefit hugely.

However I've noticed us down on this for upgrade to FTTH

http://fibrerollout.ie/where-and-when/clare/

But when I look at the map on

http://fibrerollout.ie/where-and-when/

there are no blue lines anywhere in Kilfenora, hopefully this is just a mistake and the former is correct, please tell me we're down to get FTTH.
    I'm the exact same. Curragh camp is on the list but there's no blue lines for a few kms in each direction. We have vdsl already.

rob808 wrote: »
    well if that true the NBP in trouble and people near blue line.I know ENet put down there own poles and use some of Eir when they connect up 340 people to FTTH in Kerry to showcase what they could do if they won NBP.

Was that english?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Sad to still see so much negativity in this thread even as actual villages and numbers of properties to be connected to the fastest consumer broadband in the world (give or take) are made public. Eir have delivered more than originally announced wrt fttc so it's really only fair to assume they will at least deliver these 100k premises ftth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Nyum Nyum

murphaph wrote: »
    Sad to still see so much negativity in this thread even as actual villages and numbers of properties to be connected to the fastest consumer broadband in the world (give or take) are made public. Eir have delivered more than originally announced wrt fttc so it's really only fair to assume they will at least deliver these 100k premises ftth.

Hard to be positive when you could easily still be waiting another 4 years on a 4MB (or much worse) connection though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,007 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Nyum Nyum wrote: »
    Hard to be positive when you could easily still be waiting another 4 years on a 4MB (or much worse) connection though.

I don't agree ....... I find it easy to be positive in the knowledge that something IS being done to improve the situation, and not just more 'talking shops' about what should be done.

• Advertisement

I can see both points of view. It is very positive that something is finally been done over the next year for good few rural locations that have had zero investment in broadband over past 10-15 years. Eir seem to be the only provider interested in really tackling the massive urban/rural divide that currently exists in this country. And many other rural locations will see further expansion of FTTH over the next 4 years.

Its the people who are just outside the rural blue lines who I feel really sorry for. I know what it feels like, I missed out on the FTTC rollout by less than a mile and that was a bitter pill to swallow so I can understand the negativity from those who are not on the rural blue lines. They have to wait for the NBP and after years of report writing there is still nobody picked for that so I can just imagine how long it's gonna take for the NBP to be finished.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement