Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Vegeta what firmware version is the router running? If you go to the login page and click on "Status Information" it should be listed there.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Vegeta what firmware version is the router running? If you go to the login page and click on "Status Information" it should be listed there.

I'll be afk for the next 2 hrs but will check asap

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Vegeta wrote: »
    Really, I've gotten over 140mbps before using the same app beside certain 4g+ masts. I'll try the laptop and an ethernet cable now

a) the Eir router is the worst c*** ever manufactured. Vodafone uses it too. I've got one here, that has never been turned on and serves only as a door stop.

b) you getting 140 Mbit/s of 4G is an entire different radio (in your cellphone), than your wireless card (in your cellphone). You can't take that as a comparison.

It doesn't matter, if your phone is able to produce enough data to run a 140 Mbit/s speedtest when the limiting factor is a crap wifi connection. To then compare it to a test on 4G is like saying: I'm wondering, why my car isn't as fast in reverse, as it can go forward ? ..... different gears, man.

Having said all that: Speedtests to test the line should ALWAYS be done with a computer wired to the router with a cable. Introducing other culprits is never going to give you any usable result.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 15,495 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

According to a proposed update to the NGA IPM Open-eir are to add FTTH Drop Length Indicator and the availability of FTTH infrastructure for premises which qualify for FTTH on a NGA Line Enquiry (NLE) Order.

NLE.jpg

untitled4.jpg

untitled6.jpg

untitled8.jpg
    untitled10.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 17,270 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Think I understand that...maybe

• Advertisement

The Cush wrote: »
    According to a proposed update to the NGA IPM Open-eir are to add FTTH Drop Length Indicator and the availability of FTTH infrastructure for premises which qualify for FTTH on a NGA Line Enquiry (NLE) Order.

I wonder how they are ascertaining those distances. Would it be from satellite or aerial data do you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Gboyd

I just want to check something with you guys. On the attached picture you can see my house (and garage 🤷*♂️) with the envelope and the blue icon for FTTH. This is currently showing as Winter 2018.

However, literally across the road there is the icon for a fibre cabinet which is now dark green and showing as fibre services in the roll out phase.

Now there currently isn’t any broadband services from this exchange at all, so the introduction of FTTC would still be a dramatic improvement.

But am I correct in saying that given my properties proximity to the fibre cabinet there’s no chance I’ll be getting FTTH?

I wonder how they are ascertaining those distances. Would it be from satellite or aerial data do you think?

Looks like desktop exercise using eircode and infrastructure coordinates
    FTH_Length_Ind
    Provides an indication only of the distance from the coordinates of the Eircode to the nearest open eir infrastructure or public road

If your house has the house icon on it then it is FTTH, where its FTTC then its just a big green shaded area covering multiple houses
    But both could be available...

What does a D sign mean on a phone pole anyone know?

• Advertisement

Gboyd wrote: »
    I just want to check something with you guys. On the attached picture you can see my house (and garage 🀷*♂️) with the envelope and the blue icon for FTTH. This is currently showing as Winter 2018.

However, literally across the road there is the icon for a fibre cabinet which is now dark green and showing as fibre services in the roll out phase.

Now there currently isn’t any broadband services from this exchange at all, so the introduction of FTTC would still be a dramatic improvement.

But am I correct in saying that given my properties proximity to the fibre cabinet there’s no chance I’ll be getting FTTH?

There is a chance that they will just do FTTH for everyone from the exchange. If they install eVDSL then you would likely only be able to avail of it.

fritzelly wrote: »

Defective - due for replacement.

Defective, for replacement.

If your house has the house icon on it then it is FTTH, where its FTTC then its just a big green shaded area covering multiple houses
    But both could be available...

That is not strictly true. The blue dot means:
    Approximately 90-95% of the homes marked on the map will receive fibre broadband speeds of up to 1000Mb/s. Approximately 5-10% will receive fibre broadband speeds of up to 100Mb/s. Blue means services are planned for this premise. Green means services are now available to order.

A home with a blue dot can still be serviced by FTTC or eVDSL.

That drop point information has been in the prequal data that OpenEIR passes to the operators for quite a while. It gives an idea of what sort of installation we're talking about ... or just how much can go wrong.
    That is not strictly true. The blue dot means:

A home with a blue dot can still be serviced by FTTC or eVDSL.

Aye. There are definatly areas currently marked with blue dots, that are earmarked for VDSL deployment coming "go live". Not necessarily, what people wanted to hear, but that's how it is.

The good news though is, that OpenEIR is trialing 35b .. as in supervectoring ... so we will probably see at least some increased speeds nearer to the cabinets. Probably later this year.

/M

Ohh I was told wrong then, was told if you have the house icon then its FTTH or planned for
    Makes it confusing looking at the map where some houses have the house icon and then next to them none have an icon but in the green area. I imagine many look at it and think they are getting FTTH
    But as an afterthought does that not mean FTTH is still planned but not yet available while FTTC might be currently available. Seems a lot of work to mark out individual houses like that when they won't be getting FTTH

But as an afterthought does that not mean FTTH is still planned but not yet available while FTTC might be currently available. Seems a lot of work to mark out individual houses like that when they won't be getting FTTH

FTTC was actually available up to 2km from the exchange in most areas and was installed on order previous to the FTTH rollout.

You can also still order it, if you're within coverage, even though you're earmarked for FTTH.

The map only shows the sort of acceptable rollout, after FTTH has been build out. (green).

Funnily enough, I've seen areas, where there are a few (green) FTTH earmarked houses within the FTTC coverage. Looks like, that there was no way of bringing copper to these places, so they just had to enable them for FTTH. But they then skipped houses before and after these, that had no issues getting copper lines.

/M

Ohh I was told wrong then, was told if you have the house icon then its FTTH or planned for
    Makes it confusing looking at the map where some houses have the house icon and then next to them none have an icon but in the green area. I imagine many look at it and think they are getting FTTH

It probably does confuse people but the explanation is there if you click the "i" bedside the home icon on the map.

In Gboyd's case neither FTTH nor FTTC are currently available. You would come across it more with the late 2018 exchanges that may never have been upgraded from ADSL. The premises are marked as they are part of the 300k contract with the Government.

Marlow wrote: »
    That drop point information has been in the prequal data that OpenEIR passes to the operators for quite a while.

According to their proposal document
    Expected to be available with the April 2018 release.

I would read "Blue means services are planned for this premise" as meaning FTTH is planned but not yet but you can probably still get FTTC

• Advertisement

I would read "Blue means services are planned for this premise" as meaning FTTH is planned but not yet but you can probably still get FTTC

You are wrong.

It does state the following in the rollout map:-

New exchanges/cabinets will be added as the fibre rollout progresses.

I didn’t make it clear before but there’s no cabinet there at the moment.

So surely they must plan to service a good few of the nearby properties by FTTC or why else would they add a cabinet? Or are there other valid reasons why a cabinet would be installed but all nearby properties be serviced via FTTH?

It does state the following in the rollout map:-

New exchanges/cabinets will be added as the fibre rollout progresses.

I didn’t make it clear before but there’s no cabinet there at the moment.

So surely they must plan to service a good few of the nearby properties by FTTC or why else would they add a cabinet? Or are there other valid reasons why a cabinet would be installed but all nearby properties be serviced via FTTH?

There would be no point installing a cabinet then servicing nearby homes with FTTH. Have you seen any signs of work near the proposed cabinet location?

I’m actually not bothered which I receive between FTTC or FTTH, just as long as I get one of them.

I’m just very confused by the map and what their intentions are for my house.

There would be no point installing a cabinet then servicing nearby homes with FTTH. Have you seen any signs of work near the proposed cabinet location?

Yeah, my thoughts exactly. No signs yet, I’ll try and take a walk round the back so I can see properly behind all the trees.

Yeah, my thoughts exactly. No signs yet, I’ll try and take a walk round the back so I can see properly behind all the trees.

It is kind of hard guessing without knowing the area. Can you post or PM me the exchange name if you don't mind?

According to their proposal document

Already getting those on NLEs at least since January.

/M

It is kind of hard guessing without knowing the area. Can you post or PM me the exchange name if you don't mind?

It’s the Timahoe exchange (TOE1_E01)/area.

It’s the Timahoe exchange (TOE1_E01)/area.

I just checked with a contact there. The DSLAM has been installed in the exchange so you should be live within 2 to 5 months for FTTC. The exchange is just across the road from that green dot. It is a small beige building with a brown door on Streetview.

• Advertisement

Just double-checked. The drop point data has been introduced in the CLI data file in December. And any NLEs that I've seen from January and onwards have it.

/M

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement