Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭rob808

I don't hear anyone calling for the ESB/Vod to get a good kicking ....... and they are doing absolutely nothing at all for rural dwellers!

At least eir are actually doing something!

BTW .... I really would like this thread to be for FTTH and not just Eir FTTH ;)
    Eir done this on purpose they cherry pick those areas the thing I don't like is what they did was sandwich some people in making them extremely unprofitable were as they wouldnt had been with NBP.I hope open eir does what BT does in uk Fibre on demand so people just few meters from people with FTTH can pay like 1k to get hook up to FTTH it the right thing to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭pegasus1

rob808 wrote: »
    Eir done this on purpose they cherry pick those areas the thing I don't like is what they did was sandwich some people in making them extremely unprofitable were as they wouldnt had been with NBP.I hope open eir does what BT does in uk Fibre on demand so people just few meters from people with FTTH can pay like 1k to get hook up to FTTH it the right thing to do.
    So Eir complete the blue lines marked for completion this year... and leave areas surrounded by people getting FTTH, so then company who wins contract then all has to do is run another fibre into those areas..simple...it's another phase be it under the NBP umbrella...

pegasus1 wrote: »
    So Eir complete the blue lines marked for completion this year... and leave areas surrounded by people getting FTTH, so then company who wins contract then all has to do is run another fibre into those areas..simple...it's another phase be it under the NBP umbrella...
    It not that simple it going to cost the winning bidder(s) way more given why they weren't happy about eir plan.The only hope is if eir wins the lot there in either way the other 200,000 houses the bidder(s) are going to go after eir best cherry pick areas.The people in first phase are lucky well the one that get by the end of 2016 because come 2017 which ever bidder(s) win NBP there gunning after eir and they showing there hand with NGA map.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

County Meath has done very well out of Eir's first phase of FTTH rural rollout, all the way from Kileen Castle to Dunshaughlin and into Ratoath and onto Ashbourne then down the N3 towards Dunboyne then a huge section of country in the Tara, Skyrne areas are covered and a large area around Summerhill so that's most of the county connected up. They are aslo covering the coastal parts of Meath and Athboy. One of the biggest issues running up to the current election was the state of broadband in Meath outside of our urban areas so it seems something has worked. All we have to do is now wait and watch progress and be hopefully that all is completed by this time next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭marcel353

Gonzo wrote: »
    I spent some time counting up all the homes and premises along the blue lines in the Dunshaughlin exchange and as far as the exchange boundary where it joins up with Ratoath exchange and I counted about 540 homes/premises out of a proposed 570 FTTH homes/premises so its safe to say everyone on the blue lines in the Dunshaughlin exchange has been accounted for! I didnt include any homes along blue lines inside the town where there is FTTC cabinets and I wasnt sure to include Batterstown which I think is its own exchange and on Eirs Map they are down as 2017-2020.

Batterstown is on the Dunshaughlin exchange and has a live VDSL cabinet that would cover a good few houses. Also despite having a VDSL cabinet, Drumree has a large number of lines fed direct from the exchange. I certainly do hope that all lines connected to the exchange will be upgraded. Thanks for your patience counting!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

marcel353 wrote: »
    Batterstown is on the Dunshaughlin exchange and has a live VDSL cabinet that would cover a good few houses. Also despite having a VDSL cabinet, Drumree has a large number of lines fed direct from the exchange. I certainly do hope that all lines connected to the exchange will be upgraded. Thanks for your patience counting!

Drumree seems to have been bypassed by the blue lines, the blue lines runs behind it on the R125, I would have thought that Drumree being a small place would feed everyone into that cabinet.

Ive a feeling that the blue lines near Batterstown on the Trim road and on towards Culmullen will be done at a later stage as Eir seem to have that marked as a different project date to the Dunshaughlin ones and mark the Batterstown exchange independently from Dunshaughlin on their fibre network map.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭marcel353

Drumree seems to have been bypassed by the blue lines, the blue lines runs behind it on the R125, I would have thought that Drumree being a small place would feed everyone into that cabinet.

Ive a feeling that the blue lines near Batterstown on the Trim road and on towards Culmullen will be done at a later stage as Eir seem to have that marked as a different project date to the Dunshaughlin ones and mark the Batterstown exchange independently from Dunshaughlin on their fibre network map.

Can I ask you which map you are going by?

marcel353 wrote: »
    Can I ask you which map you are going by?

Im using the one here:> http://fibrerollout.ie/where-and-when/

select all and select rural fibre routes for exchanges and blue lines to show up.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,212 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Im using the one here:> http://fibrerollout.ie/where-and-when/

select all and select rural fibre routes for exchanges and blue lines to show up.

Is there an eta anywhere for each set of blue lines?

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭Matt Bauer

Eircom's blue line stops a hundred metres from my dwelling in Mayo. I am guessing that the blue lines are not written in stone, and if you want to order the service and there's a blue line close by, they would connect you. That's what the engineer here says he thinks will happen.

• Advertisement

Matt Bauer wrote: »
    Eircom's blue line stops a hundred metres from my dwelling in Mayo. I am guessing that the blue lines are not written in stone, and if you want to order the service and there's a blue line close by, they would connect you. That's what the engineer here says he thinks will happen.
    If there is enough capacity on the fibre cable as in two extra fibres...

Eir will likely have too much capacity, at least at first: low take up with lots of unused fibres, so this should not be a big problem in a majority of areas. It may become a big problem down the road though, you're definitely right there.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Is there an eta anywhere for each set of blue lines?

I dont think there is, all we can go on is the announcment from the other day and hover over the main exchange and it tells you how many homes have FTTC and an estimated time for first FTTH services in that exchange, in Dunshaughlin's case its listed as Autumn/Winter 2016.

I am hoping they will update the http://fibrerollout.ie/where-and-when/ if you select fibre by county it gives a breakdown of the FTTC rollout in each county and towards the bottom it gives a breakdown of all the exchanges that will receive FTTH, however there are no active links yet or updates, it says that this page will get updated when more information is verified. I am hoping it will get updated soon showing a breakdown of each of the exchanges from this weeks announcement.

Eir will likely have too much capacity, at least at first: low take up with lots of unused fibres, so this should not be a big problem in a majority of areas. It may become a big problem down the road though, you're definitely right there.
    They won't be passing houses without leaving tails for each..each blue line runs out as far as each fibre can handle...common sense

They won't be passing houses without leaving tails for each..each blue line runs out as far as each fibre can handle...common sense

If that's the case you might be screwed unless you get your order in fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭Dr. Nick

I spent some time counting up all the homes and premises along the blue lines in the Dunshaughlin exchange and as far as the exchange boundary where it joins up with Ratoath exchange and I counted about 540 homes/premises out of a proposed 570 FTTH homes/premises so its safe to say everyone on the blue lines in the Dunshaughlin exchange has been accounted for! I didnt include any homes along blue lines inside the town where there is FTTC cabinets and I wasnt sure to include Batterstown which I think is its own exchange and on Eirs Map they are down as 2017-2020.

Good job, would you like to do the same for Tara? :D

Dr. Nick wrote: »
    Good job, would you like to do the same for Tara? :D

lol Tara has over 1100 homes to check, I think if you live there it would be best someone from that area does it! but I would imagine everyone who is on a blue line from that exchange including Skyrne will get done.

There gona leave extra fibre there to hook up more people either if they win NBP or they do fibre on demand which would be smart given how badly the amount of money they need to pay back.I think eir has a plan if they win NBP they done some of the work if not the bidder(s) will have to pay eir to connect to there fibre network quite smart.

lets hope we start seeing construction starting soon! as well as an update to the fibre extreme checker with a projected date for numbers that will receive it within the next 12 months!

When construction begins will they activate homes as soon as the fibre is complete to each home or will they wait till the entire line is built and then connect people up? How was this managed in Balcarra?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,007 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Mr Velo wrote: »
    Where do you actually check the phone number?

https://www.eir.ie/extreme/

Use Check Availability link to input your phone number.

• Advertisement

If that's the case you might be screwed unless you get your order in fast.

No, you did not understand it...

Put simply they run a cable from the exchange, each house they pass on the road with have tails left for them...got it?...where the blue line ends on the map is the amount of houses that particular fibre cable will serve.

If your house is further down the road, then that will be done in the next phase by eir , if they win the nbp contract..

Thats my thinking on it and it's logical..

• Registered Users Posts: 15,523 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

I understood that the fibre cables can be split as required up to a certain limit and that each connection doesn't have to have a direct connection to the exchange. Open to correction on this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

The Cush wrote: »
    I understood that the fibre cables can be split as required up to a certain limit and that each connection doesn't have to have a direct connection to the exchange. Open to correction on this.

I asked a question the other day about cabling going through ducting where eir poles cross ESB lines. I got no answer so I did a bit of reading about GPON network design. I found an interesting paper that details one method that may be used. It is a non-trivial problem that requires significant planning. I'm sure future expansion into areas non covered by this phase will be taken into account.

http://research.ijcaonline.org/volume92/number6/pxc3895050.pdf

scroll down to FTTH PON: Passive Optical Network...

http://www.thefoa.org/tech/ref/appln/FTTHarch.html

So up to 32 splits per fibre, the question is how many fibres per cable running on the poles and ducts to customers plus redundancy?

The Cush wrote: »
    So up to 32 splits per fibre, the question is how many fibres per cable running on the poles and ducts to customers plus redundancy?
    no its 32 homes from 1 laser..2 fibers to each house, 1 for use and 1 spare

btw The tighter the bends the fibres have to make in ducts etc to the house the slower the max speed will be...ie bend a fibre beyond a point its speed reduces even if you straighten it again...after all its glass fibres

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Lets hope they don't actually split 32 ways, thats the cheapskate option that wont allow heavy users to chose premium packages.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

The blue line stops 360 metres from my house. Does this mean we'll likely be waiting years before getting fibre?

no its 32 homes from 1 laser..2 fibers to each house, 1 for use and 1 spare

So if they are feeding more than 32 homes or want to provide higher capacity fibre to homes extra lasers are required? I assume there is a cost issue?

What is open-eir's rollout plan in relation to this?

• Advertisement

The blue line stops 360 metres from my house. Does this mean we'll likely be waiting years before getting fibre?
    well it comes down to who win NBP but in your case you could one first to be connected in NBP the downside it isn't starting to 2017.I don't know why eir done this kinda bad thing to do.It be ok if you were like 1km away but just meters shame on them but it eir just new name with new tricks.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement