Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭WexIan

Talkin to a subcontractor working for KN who is replacing poles from the Killinick exchange in Wexford and he said as soon as they have finished replacing poles they are to start putting up the new fibre cable for FTTH. At least its progress and hopefully once the cables are up they will start connecting to the houses and turn it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭daraghwal

WexIan wrote: »
    Talkin to a subcontractor working for KN who is replacing poles from the Killinick exchange in Wexford and he said as soon as they have finished replacing poles they are to start putting up the new fibre cable for FTTH. At least its progress and hopefully once the cables are up they will start connecting to the houses and turn it on.

There's nobody in Killinick that can get FTTC yet is there? Are they not going to do FTTC and just put everyone on FTTH?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

daraghwal wrote: »
    There's nobody in Killinick that can get FTTC yet is there? Are they not going to do FTTC and just put everyone on FTTH?

Im not from that area but I think there needs to be a FTTC cabinet in the area to make it much easier to spread FTTH into the countryside. There needs to be fibre of some description in the town already available.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Gonzo wrote: »
    Im not from that area but I think there needs to be a FTTC cabinet in the area to make it much easier to spread FTTH into the countryside. There needs to be fibre of some description in the town already available.

Nope, larger towns will usually get FTTC but for villages being done now with no ccp cabs in place they'll likely go 100% FTTH.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,690 ✭✭✭jd

daraghwal wrote:

ED E wrote:
    Nope, larger towns will usually get FTTC but for villages being done now with no ccp cabs in place they'll likely go 100% FTTH.

Pretty sure Killinick will have vdsl from the exchange with ftth build into surrounding areas following on

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭legocrazy505

ED E wrote: »

Yeah this seems to be the case (besides our village). Seems Eir are in the majority of cases opting for a longer term FTTH solution than the band aid option of FTTC.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I can confirm it is the FTTH Scheme that KNN are working on! They started on Friday and left it for the weekend. They have made amazing progress since 9am this morning, they have covered nearly 1km and are digging holes every 100 meteres or so and have huge reels of cable, right now they are under a 1km from my home, about half way between my home and the last cabinet!.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Kensei

Ballyconnell got some tough love as well. I don't understand how there is a live Cabinet but everyone outside town is stuck with the 3mbps crawler.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭pegasus1

Kensei wrote: »
    Ballyconnell got some tough love as well. I don't understand how there is a live Cabinet but everyone outside town is stuck with the 3mbps crawler.
    How Far outside town are you? Take note the ph. line goes a longer distance than the road ...

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Kensei

pegasus1 wrote: »
    How Far outside town are you? Take note the ph. line goes a longer distance than the road ...

6.8 km. Far enough to be confused by Eir support as being in another exchange zone. I'm basically on the borderline between Ballyconnell and Bawnboy. I'm tempted to just grab a shovel and dig a damn ditch myself. Funny enough Eir wouldn't mind me doing it, but I'd have to buy the fiber cable and that stuff is xpensive, about 2$/meter last I checked.

• Advertisement

I can confirm it is the FTTH Scheme that KNN are working on! They started on Friday and left it for the weekend. They have made amazing progress since 9am this morning, they have covered nearly 1km and are digging holes every 100 meteres or so and have huge reels of cable, right now they are under a 1km from my home, about half way between my home and the last cabinet!.

Gonzo soon to be Gigzo

Kensei wrote: »
    pegasus1 wrote: »

6.8 km. Far enough to be confused by Eir support as being in another exchange zone. I'm basically on the borderline between Ballyconnell and Bawnboy. I'm tempted to just grab a shovel and dig a damn ditch myself. Funny enough Eir wouldn't mind me doing it, but I'd have to buy the fiber cable and that stuff is xpensive, about 2$/meter last I checked.
    Honestly be happy you even get 3mpbs. We're about the same distance from our exchange and get 1-1.5mbps depending on the day. We're on the exchange border as well, the exchange next to us get about 5mbps and they're maybe 1.5km away from us.

Unfortunately houses like ours are stuck in the pit of despair until the NBP hopefully fixes rural broadband for at least another 20-30 years.

ED E wrote: »
    Gonzo soon to be Gigzo

hopefully! It will probably still be autumn before it goes live tho. They will probably build all the rural routes in the exchange first before activating any homes/premises.

When I do get it, it's gonna be quite an upgrade from what I have right now!

5224488094.png

If I switch from Eir to Vodafone now I won't be bypassed by eir's FTTH when it comes will I?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,208 ✭✭✭digiman

If I switch from Eir to Vodafone now I won't be bypassed by eir's FTTH when it comes will I?

If won't make any difference, if anything was to happen it would probably improve your chances!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭Dr. Nick

Which road is that Gonzo?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,493 ✭✭✭✭guil

Vodafone have already said they won't be reselling openeir FTTH so if you move you might not be out of contract when FTTH comes along.

Dr. Nick wrote: »
    Which road is that Gonzo?

Lagore Road. They started about 80 meters east of the cabinet at Lagore Green housing estate (DSN1_013) and have worked their way past where they are working on the new estate Kelletts Grove and on about another 400 meters along the straight road section towards Shiela Kenny's shop.

They dug at least 4 or 5 large holes in the road earlier today and have since covered them up with either new manhole covers or tarred over. KNN also had guys operating traffic control as they where working on an entire 500 meter stretch at once. They were putting yellow tubes/cable into the ground earlier on today and extending it as they went on. This stretch of road is where all the ducting is with no poles as there are no houses along this stretch of road. About 300 meters further east is where they will hit the ribbon developments.

guil wrote: »
    Vodafone have already said they won't be reselling openeir FTTH so if you move you might not be out of contract when FTTH comes along.

Are vodafone not using the FTTH network at all then? If so will I not be able to get FTTH if it comes along within the next 18 months? (Although it is unlikely because my home is not in the 100,000 home plan up to March 2017 so I would say I'd be safe enough switching)

Also does anyone know is the vodafone router any better? I presume I can use either eir's zyxel one or the vodafone huawei one. I heard the only one I wouldnt be able to use is sky. Thanks in advance!

Are vodafone not using the FTTH network at all then? If so will I not be able to get FTTH if it comes along within the next 18 months? (Although it is unlikely because my home is not in the 100,000 home plan up to March 2017 so I would say I'd be safe enough switching)

Also does anyone know is the vodafone router any better? I presume I can use either eir's zyxel one or the vodafone huawei one. I heard the only one I wouldnt be able to use is sky. Thanks in advance!
    FTTH won't come along in the next 18 months, even for the 100,000 it's not a guarantee every single one of them will get it. When FTTH/FTTC comes to you it's done through Open Eir so any ISP can sell broadband to you, so when Eir give access to new areas you'll be able to get access to it regardless of provider. I've never been fortunate enough to be in this situation so I'm not sure it's simultaneous access for Eir, Vodafone, Sky etc. or do Eir get it quicker. Vodafone do guarantee to upgrade to whatever they can get off Eir though for you.

As for routers, Eircom's works fine on Vodafone. All you need to do is change a few things. To be honest while I haven't used Vodafone's one it won't be much better. Really all these free routers are free for a reason.

• Advertisement

FTTH won't come along in the next 18 months, even for the 100,000 it's not a guarantee every single one of them will get it. When FTTH/FTTC comes to you it's done through Open Eir so any ISP can sell broadband to you, so when Eir give access to new areas you'll be able to get access to it regardless of provider.

As for routers, Eircom's works fine on Vodafone. All you need to do is change a few things. To be honest while I haven't used Vodafone's one it won't be much better. Really all these free routers are free for a reason.

Vodafone reps already confirmed they won't be reselling openeir FTTH.

Vodafone reps already confirmed they won't be reselling openeir FTTH.

I'll probably chance the 18 Month Contract. I doubt I'll be getting FTTH within the next 18 months. So what are vodafone going to do instead then? Roll out SIRO across the whole country? They'll surely use open eir's FTTH network. If not they'd loose too much business wouldn't they?

I'll probably chance the 18 Month Contract. I doubt I'll be getting FTTH within the next 18 months. So what are vodafone going to do instead then? Roll out SIRO across the whole country? They'll surely use open eir's FTTH network. If not they'd loose too much business wouldn't they?

I can't understand why they won't do it. I would nearly bet on them changing their mind when openeir start connecting a lot of properties.

I can't understand why they won't do it. I would nearly bet on them changing their mind when openeir start connecting a lot of properties.

Once people get their 1 Gbps speeds there is no way vodafone won't use the network

Once people get their 1 Gbps speeds there is no way vodafone won't use the network

They may just abandon OpenEir FTTH areas, not uncommon for companies to drop segments that have smaller profit margins and growth rates. Just look at linksys. Big red have 140m subs, a few Irish users in remote areas are no real concern to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭garroff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

I suppose there is still no way of knowing whether you are part of the 100,000 until you are connected.
    Any idea?

galljga1 wrote: »
    I suppose there is still no way of knowing whether you are part of the 100,000 until you are connected.
    Any idea?

I'm not near any community that was listed anyway so I doubt it

garroff wrote: »

I hope they don't just see being a WISP as the easier option and just put everyone outside the town on that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭rob808

galljga1 wrote: »
    Any idea?
    The only way of knowing if your getting FTTH is the blue line at the moment of time.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement