Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭pegasus1

The blue line stops 360 metres from my house. Does this mean we'll likely be waiting years before getting fibre?
    NBP....if the plan sticks together...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭legocrazy505

The blue line stops 360 metres from my house. Does this mean we'll likely be waiting years before getting fibre?
    Depends on who wins the NBP and what their plans our. If you aren't on the blue lines you aren't in Eir's 2016-2020 fibre plans. If Eir wins the NBP I'd imagine the blue lines will be expanded to all houses outside of cities. Either way yes you'll be like many people waiting for fibre for years, hopefully though we'll get it before 2020.

Depends on who wins the NBP and what their plans our. If you aren't on the blue lines you aren't in Eir's 2016-2020 fibre plans. If Eir wins the NBP I'd imagine the blue lines will be expanded to all houses outside of cities. Either way yes you'll be like many people waiting for fibre for years, hopefully though we'll get it before 2020.

rob808 wrote: »
    well it comes down to who win NBP but in your case you could one first to be connected in NBP the downside it isn't starting to 2017.I don't know why eir done this kinda bad thing to do.It be ok if you were like 1km away but just meters shame on them but it eir just new name with new tricks.
    A lot of the blue lines are FTTH from '17 -'20

They have a limit on how many houses etc will be serviced by a fibre, so they have to stop somewhere otherwise they would have to keep on rolling the fibre down the road the next load of houses then what. there is always one just within reach but its just too far

• Registered Users Posts: 4,208 ✭✭✭digiman

ED E wrote: »
    Lets hope they don't actually split 32 ways, thats the cheapskate option that wont allow heavy users to chose premium packages.

It will take quite a long time to congest 2.4Gb/s even split 32 ways. By the time it does congest higher capacity optics will be much cheaper to upgrade to 10G and higher. Other countries who are more advanced than us in rollouts split 64 and even 128 ways. This higher splitting is more suitable for urban though as the attenuation losses are very high when split 128 times.

The other thing is that it is very difficult to have 100% efficiency and take-up won't be 100% either so while the split is 1:32, you are probably only contending with half of that as a maximum in the majority of cases.

Also, of course people don't use the internet all the time either so congestion is quite unlikely to happen even for heavy users.

Let's say a heavy user is 10TB/month which is a very edge case and highly unlikely they would still only be downloading at 30Mb/s nonstop for the month.

• Advertisement

The Cush wrote: »
    What is open-eir's rollout plan in relation to this?
    The blue lines...;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,523 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

pegasus1 wrote: »
    The blue lines...;)

I mean do we have any idea what are eir's plans in relation to the number of premises served per laser 32 or less?

digiman wrote: »
    It will take quite a long time to congest 2.4Gb/s even split 32 ways. By the time it does congest higher capacity optics will be much cheaper to upgrade to 10G and higher.
    I think they are running 10GPON anyways...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Nyum Nyum

I'm in a similar position to you - the blue line stops about 400 metres short from my house.

I live in a lane with 9 houses and a pub. The blue line covers the pub and the first 4 houses and then suddenly stops halfway, leaving 5 houses out of it. I find it all bizarre really and suppose I'll just have to wait and see what eventually happens :(

The Cush wrote: »
    I mean do we have any idea what are eir's plans in relation to the number of premises served per laser 32 or less?
    ? I dunno but I would think 32 and not less..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

? I dunno but I would think 32 and not less..

Well SIRO confirmed a few months ago that they were using a 1:32 split ratio so it would not surprise me if openeir did the same.

https://twitter.com/SIROIreland/status/598075781877735424

I think they are running 10GPON anyways...

I would really really doubt that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Is it very expensive to deploy?

rob808 wrote: »
    well it comes down to who win NBP but in your case you could one first to be connected in NBP the downside it isn't starting to 2017.I don't know why eir done this kinda bad thing to do.It be ok if you were like 1km away but just meters shame on them but it eir just new name with new tricks.
    A lot of the blue lines are FTTH from '17 -'20

They have a limit on how many houses etc will be serviced by a fibre, so they have to stop somewhere otherwise they would have to keep on rolling the fibre down the road the next load of houses then what. there is always one just within reach but its just too far
    To be fair though, they have skipped over entire villages with 100+ population and decided to instead serve FTTC and FTTH to places with less. Our village has had DSL since 2010, cabinet promised for two years and still no sign of anything and now we are left out of the FTTH plans while a village with about half the amount of people is getting FTTH. Eir are the same as always, yes there are realities but in some cases they ignore common sense.
    Either the map was done by people who don't understand population densities or they couldn't care less about some villages.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

Nyum Nyum wrote: »
    I'm in a similar position to you - the blue line stops about 400 metres short from my house.

I live in a lane with 9 houses and a pub. The blue line covers the pub and the first 4 houses and then suddenly stops halfway, leaving 5 houses out of it. I find it all bizarre really and suppose I'll just have to wait and see what eventually happens :(
    That's my situation. The blue line just stops midway between two houses, and stops short of a group of 7 houses.

It is puzzling. Some other posters have found that where the blue line stops makes sense in term of the infrastructure, others have posted about it ending at a farm barn.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

The OLTs presumably could be a lot more.

They aren't, it was used in SND but the rest is just GPON.

To be fair though, they have skipped over entire villages with 100+ population and decided to instead serve FTTC and FTTH to places with less. Our village has had DSL since 2010, cabinet promised for two years and still no sign of anything and now we are left out of the FTTH plans while a village with about half the amount of people is getting FTTH. Eir are the same as always, yes there are realities but in some cases they ignore common sense.
    Either the map was done by people who don't understand population densities or they couldn't care less about some villages.
    Is your exchange fed via fibre or microwave?
    our exchange which is actually in the village beside our one, is microwave fed...so ftth is from '17-'20...we don't even have fttc..

The optics and boards are more expensive for sure. The boards also currently have lower port density than standard GPON. But I think the main thing is that very few telcos are going for 10GPON. Better options are coming down the line with 10GPON2 which is symmetrical 10G and other higher bandwidths coming along too. You would also have to add in the cost of filters to allow GPON and 10GPON to run together on the same PON.

The downstream wavelength is different than NGPON, I think the upstream wavelength is also slightly different, so alot of the cheap ONTs wouldn't be supported which is a significant cost also.

I would say telcos may just decide to upgrade users to 10GPON as premium services to business when they don't have spare fibre available as 10GPON can run with GPON through the same 1:32 splitter. So you could have 30 homes on standard GPON and 2 business on 10GPON.

ED E wrote: »
    The OLTs presumably could be a lot more.

They aren't, it was used in SND but the rest is just GPON.

SND?

Sandyford

• Advertisement

Is your exchange fed via fibre or microwave?
    our exchange which is actually in the village beside our one, is microwave fed...so ftth is from '17-'20...we don't even have fttc..
    Almost certain it's fibre. The exchange is getting FTTH, most of it is apparently. Our village on the other hand is just getting a single cabinet at some point and completely being left out. The village about 2km after us in the next exchange, same distance from the main point of their exchange and is getting both FTTH and FTTC,

Almost certain it's fibre. The exchange is getting FTTH, most of it is apparently. Our village on the other hand is just getting a single cabinet at some point and completely being left out. The village about 2km after us in the next exchange, same distance from the main point of their exchange and is getting both FTTH and FTTC,
    Well if your getting a cabinet, must mean your getting FTTC...sometime this year..

Well if your getting a cabinet, must mean your getting FTTC...sometime this year..
    We've been promised one for years and not everyone being excluded from the FTTH in the exchange will actually benefit from this apparent cabinet. We're 900m from the planned placement but there are houses out for another 1km who are not getting a thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,007 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

We've been promised one for years and not everyone being excluded from the FTTH in the exchange will actually benefit from this apparent cabinet. We're 900m from the planned placement but there are houses out for another 1km who are not getting a thing.

If you are not in the eir roll out then you will get a high speed connection under NBP, the same as everyone else who is not able to get an eir connection under their commercial roll out.

If you are not in the eir roll out then you will get a high speed connection under NBP, the same as everyone else who is not able to get an eir connection under their commercial roll out.
    Which is why Eir's rollout is only a play for it and it won't be the glorious thing people think it is if they lose it. The only incentive for Eir right now is the chance of getting money in their pocket. Eir's plan is a joke from the start given how they have left out substantial settlements.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,007 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Which is why Eir's rollout is only a play for it and it won't be the glorious thing people think it is if they lose it. The only incentive for Eir right now is the chance of getting money in their pocket. Eir's plan is a joke from the start given how they have left out substantial settlements.

You believe that a commercial entity like eir should not try whatever they can (legally) to improve the company?

That is the only reason it exists!

What do you expect?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭rob808

The rural FTTH only happening because of the NBP they won't had bother doing It other wise.The NBP gone real quite no monthly update I know there in deep talks now but they could least let us know what happen.

if your 900 mtrs from a FTTC cabinet means you will get aprox 15Mb speed if not by the crowflys to the cabinet...FTTC will supply broadband up to a distance of 2kms of cable run..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

Eir are the same as always, yes there are realities but in some cases they ignore common sense.

I'd agree with you here. I'm sure they feel there's a valid reason to do FTTH to a village in the middle of nowhere with 100 houses, ignoring other larger villages around it with poorer connections or none at all.

But I'm confused as to what that valid reason could be. It's not market share. The area they are targeting is already VDSL2 (according to irelandoffline.org), so the take up there would surely have to be very low as they're getting up to 24Mb already! The people there would mostly be connected with farming, the average age range would be above 50+ and people wouldn't have the need or the means to pay out x amount per month extra for faster internet.

The logic here is strange. Surely an area with a larger number of houses with only ADSL1, would have a greater number of people biting their hand off to take up the new service, than those already on ADSL2 running at up to 24Mb?! Go figure. It certainly annoys me anyhow.

I guess they are playing a strategic game here in relation to NBP and proving they can bring FTTH to remote areas.

• Advertisement

You may find some insight if you look up the core network points around. The village that gets it happens to be on the right road from another local exchange, which is itself fed by one of the main POPs.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement