Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android Tap and Pay in Ireland [Threads Merged]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭daraghwal

Is there anyone here able to confirm if the OnePlus 3T works with contactless payment terminals using android pay and give details of where it has/hasn't worked for them? I have my card set up on android pay and it just says on the payment terminal that the card is unsupported, try another card.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭Carroller

daraghwal wrote: »
    Is there anyone here able to confirm if the OnePlus 3T works with contactless payment terminals using android pay and give details of where it has/hasn't worked for them? I have my card set up on android pay and it just says on the payment terminal that the card is unsupported, try another card.

My 3t has worked. Used it in two different Tesco's and a deals. I had problems then someone told me to turn off beam in the NFC settings. Has worked ever since

Carroller wrote: »
    My 3t has worked. Used it in two different Tesco's and a deals. I had problems then someone told me to turn off beam in the NFC settings. Has worked ever since

Hopefully that'll work, I'll post if it does. Otherwise the only other thing I can see is wrong is something to do with AIB so I'll contact them

• Registered Users Posts: 10,492 ✭✭✭✭guil

Strange thing going on with mine. I can add my aib card and activate it but whenever i try use it i get declined all the time. Aib are telling me that each time the phone tries to make the purchase that it always gets declined because the expiry date is a few months out but I've set it up at least 4 times and I'm certain I've entered the correct details.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭NikoTopps

guil wrote: »
    Strange thing going on with mine. I can add my aib card and activate it but whenever i try use it i get declined all the time. Aib are telling me that each time the phone tries to make the purchase that it always gets declined because the expiry date is a few months out but I've set it up at least 4 times and I'm certain I've entered the correct details.
    Not ideal,but can you not ask AIB for new card?

• Advertisement

A bit unrelated but i just read Samsung Pay is coming Britain in mid\late summer with Éire follow soon after.Though personally cannot see the benefit of use that one over Android Pay,maybe they will have a good reward programm or something

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/technology/samsung-to-roll-out-contactless-pay-in-uk-ireland-1.3041186?mode=amp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

NikoTopps wrote: »
    A bit unrelated but i just read Samsung Pay is coming Britain in mid\late summer with Éire follow soon after.Though personally cannot see the benefit of use that one over Android Pay,maybe they will have a good reward programm or something

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/technology/samsung-to-roll-out-contactless-pay-in-uk-ireland-1.3041186?mode=amp

Yeah, I keep getting an offer to participate on my Note 5. But when it notices I have a Middle East firmware, it tells me it is not available.

Patww79 wrote: »
    Only advantage I could see for me is that I could use my watch. Though Bank of Ireland won't do the service anyway.

I think with new Android Wear firmware they can use Android Pay on the watch too if they have the NFC

We can hope BOI not launch with Android\Apple Pay because they are make exclusive with Samsung Pay,same in PTSB.As unlikely as that seem

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    Yeah, I keep getting an offer to participate on my Note 5. But when it notices I have a Middle East firmware, it tells me it is not available.

So many questions !!:pac:

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 10,492 ✭✭✭✭guil

Not ideal,but can you not ask AIB for new card?

I've contacted Google about it and they asked me to email them a bug report. Since then I've got a handful of emails saying this and that is looking into it but nothing helpful yet.

That would be great. It would mean anyone, regardless of bank would be able to link it to their paypal instead.

Only in USA . makes no sense,PayPal are a global brand.Only Google...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,499 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Can you have a card added to more than 1 phone at the same time? Or could you have a card added to both android and Apple Pay at the same time? Anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,820 ✭✭✭✭listermint

dulpit wrote: »
    Can you have a card added to more than 1 phone at the same time? Or could you have a card added to both android and Apple Pay at the same time? Anyone know?

Of course as many as you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Arbie

Had my 1st refusal today, in a small hospital shop. The cashier said she wasn't trained. I showed her the app and the AIB card on the app but she wasn't for turning. I asked her to call her manager who straight away said it was OK. I totally understand the cashier's reluctance so I was very polite about it but I do think it's important to ask them to speak to a manager so the issue is resolved. She was actually very interested in it afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭Reati

Arbie wrote: »
    Had my 1st refusal today, in a small hospital shop. The cashier said she wasn't trained. I showed her the app and the AIB card on the app but she wasn't for turning. I asked her to call her manager who straight away said it was OK. I totally understand the cashier's reluctance so I was very polite about it but I do think it's important to ask them to speak to a manager so the issue is resolved. She was actually very interested in it afterwards.

Good stuff. Perfect way to handle it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

They don't need any training though.
    They just need to present you with the terminal as if you were going to pay by card anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Pete123456

I can understand staff can be apprehensive about somebody claiming to be able to pay without the physical card or cash or whatever, particularly new staff who might be nervous and worried theyll get caught for the money etc. Older staff also; but i cant understand how people havent heard of this technology before. Its around for a good while and there are alot of ads around the place...

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭LeeroyJ.

Pete123456 wrote: »
    I can understand staff can be apprehensive about somebody claiming to be able to pay without the physical card or cash or whatever, particularly new staff who might be nervous and worried theyll get caught for the money etc. Older staff also; but i cant understand how people havent heard of this technology before. Its around for a good while and there are alot of ads around the place...

It's still a nightmare to use, It's gotten better in Dublin city (better not great) but anywhere else it's a full on pain in the ass. Still getting "oh we don't accept phones" and that type of rejection all the time.

I worked in a supermarket for years and you would be surprised how often people try to scam you or ask you to do something dodgy. The ones I can recall off the top of my head:
    - returning vodka bottles filled with water
    - trying to sell me (the cashier!) cigarettes at a discount, bought in duty free with Portuguese writing on the boxes
    - attempting to pay with a crossed personal cheque which had someone else's name on it and dated 2 years previously
    - handing in smudged Lotto tickets and claiming 5 numbers (happened a few times with the same woman)
    - topping up their phone and then coming in for a refund saying they had forgotten they were on another network, then when you say you have to ring the phone company to make sure the top-up hasn't been used they scarper, happened all the time

So I completely understand employees being suspicious; it's really up to the managers to make sure everyone knows that phone payments exist and are safe, especially when you hear about cards being skimmed, etc.

It's a bit surprising when someone hasn't heard of it but then again everyone on this thread is obviously interested in the scheme so we're biased and not reflective of the population. I know when the hurling all ireland is on but I wouldn't have a clue when the premier league matches take place, it's just not on my radar.

LeeroyJ. wrote: »
    It's still a nightmare to use, It's gotten better in Dublin city (better not great) but anywhere else it's a full on pain in the ass. Still getting "oh we don't accept phones" and that type of rejection all the time.

You must look dodgy :P I've had zero problems since the first 2 I reported in this thread months ago throughout most of Ireland at this point.

I was even surprised that places I expected to say no were all about it.

I worked in a supermarket for years and you would be surprised how often people try to scam you or ask you to do something dodgy. The ones I can recall off the top of my head:
    - returning vodka bottles filled with water
    - trying to sell me (the cashier!) cigarettes at a discount, bought in duty free with Portuguese writing on the boxes
    - attempting to pay with a crossed personal cheque which had someone else's name on it and dated 2 years previously
    - handing in smudged Lotto tickets and claiming 5 numbers (happened a few times with the same woman)
    - topping up their phone and then coming in for a refund saying they had forgotten they were on another network, then when you say you have to ring the phone company to make sure the top-up hasn't been used they scarper, happened all the time

So I completely understand employees being suspicious; it's really up to the managers to make sure everyone knows that phone payments exist and are safe, especially when you hear about cards being skimmed, etc.

It's a bit surprising when someone hasn't heard of it but then again everyone on this thread is obviously interested in the scheme so we're biased and not reflective of the population. I know when the hurling all ireland is on but I wouldn't have a clue when the premier league matches take place, it's just not on my radar.

That's why I don't get all worked up and "embarrassed" about it like another poster said.

If I wasn't into tech and someone tried this I'd be a bit concerned I was getting scammed and would get in trouble with my boss.

It's understandable.

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭LeeroyJ.

Reati wrote: »
    You must look dodgy :P I've had zero problems since the first 2 I reported in this thread months ago throughout most of Ireland at this point.

I was even surprised that places I expected to say no were all about it.

Yea I'm a dark haired bearded German guy so I guess it's not doing me any favors lol

You wont get any refusal if you just say you pay with card then , when screen show the Contactless logo you just tap your phone . i havent had any issue in Dublin City .more often now especially since the apple pay the cashier just presses card button anywhere once they see i have my phone.

You wont get any refusal if you just say you pay with card then , when screen show the Contactless logo you just tap your phone . i havent had any issue in Dublin City .more often now especially since the apple pay the cashier just presses card button anywhere once they see i have my phone.

That's exactly what I did today but the machine was tethered behind the till and I had to reach over - as soon as she saw the phone she put her hand in the way, ninja speed!

That's exactly what I did today but the machine was tethered behind the till and I had to reach over - as soon as she saw the phone she put her hand in the way, ninja speed!

Ahh,i suppose that make sense.Overtime it will improve,, we can only hope! the places i use it have outward facing terminal so it is within reach. even the other night i was out in a bar where they have portable terminal,i just ask them to bring it over to me,tap,once the receipt come out they dont care :pac::pac:

• Advertisement

Any one know where list of retailer which accept payment over 30€ is ? i cannot seem find it in this thread

Advertisement