Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi Cycling offers Thursday 24 Sept

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

carnage in the sandyford store this morning over the Garmins one of the til guys used the phrase "calm down its only cycling" :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

carnage in the sandyford store this morning over the Garmins one of the til guys used the phrase "calm down its only cycling" :eek:

Was he hung ,drawn and quartered and sent to the four corners of the land?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,743 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Armafreddon

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

jon1981 wrote: »
    Was he hung ,drawn and quartered and sent to the four corners of the land?

a few snarky under the breath remarks :pac:

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

There was a horde of luminous yellow jackets and helmet wearing cyclists at 8:55 this morning in Terrenure. And a rush of the door too where the polite queuing went out the window. I got a performance winter jacket and left, as it was pure madness in there.

The jacket is nice, very warm so it most likely wont be used for at least another month. I would doubt it's very water proof at all. But that remains to be seen. I'd say it's about the quality you'd expect from a 35euro jacket.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

Can't afford the garmin, don't need the garmin.(have one of those polar gps watches from halfords) Hopefully they'll be sold out when I go to aldi later cos otherwise I'll buy one.

The two jackets are probably 0-10c conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I bought the USB rear light, leg warmers and a few pairs of the ergo socks. Seriously impressed with all three.

The rear light is impressively bright and outshines my €45 Cateye rear light by a mile! I met get another for my other bike as they had loads of them in letterkenny new store.

The leg warmers are brilliant too for €10. Really good fit (for me) and I love the silicone grippers on the outside upper part to stop them riding down while under your shorts.

Socks sre lovely, absolutely spot on in size for me. Nicely padded without being overly thick. Will go back and get another few pairs this evening.

All the TT's and garmins were gone from the new Letterkenny store and there was no men's performance range jerseys or jackets. I was there at 9:20 and the store was dead so I don't know if they just didn't have any or if they were simply all sold, I didn't need either any but just noted that it was only women's left.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭traprunner

All the TT's and garmins were gone from the new Letterkenny store and there was no men's performance range jerseys or jackets. I was there at 9:20 and theatre was dead so I don't know if they just didn't have any or if they were simply all sold, I didn't need either any but just noted that it was only women's left.

The Garmins weren't out on the floor in East Wall. They were in the office and had to ask at the till for it. Maybe it was the same in Letterkenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭darka78

The rear light is impressively bright and outshines my €45 Cateye rear light by a mile!

What model Cateye rear light do you have?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Spins

All Garmins sold out by 9.15 in the four Waterford City stores but they only got two per store. 8 for the entire of Waterford City, pathetic!

It's all a big lure!! Attract people in that are willing to spend 100 yoyo on something like a Garmin and they'll likely spend it on something else if it's gone :D

I'm sure the margin on the Garmin is peanuts compared with the other cycling stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,284 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Misses was doing the big shop this morning - got the last Garmin in the Greystones store around half 10 (out of the display case). Only other thing I had on the list was the bike stand, for the yet to be built shed!

Hoping to stop off this evening to have a look at the clothes and other bits. Previous years (and previous specials) I've picked up the bibs and jerseys a few weeks after reduced - only the jackets seems to fly out the door last autumn, but I'm several sizes smaller now so not sure how that'll play out this time!

Interested to hear about the rear light too now, although pretty much decided not to scrimp and just get the exposure traceR for the rural roads that are much of my commute.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

darka78 wrote: »
    What model Cateye rear light do you have?

It's the Rapid X -TL700 which I've had since March and was quite impressed with. It's plenty bright for rural
    Roads at low light and in darkness but the Aldi light is considerably brighter at high intensity level and possibly even brighter on mid brightness level too.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭thejaguar

I was in Sandyford this morning when some lady skipped the queue and tried to take the last 2 Garmins for herself.

The poor chap on the till was not ready for the rage that ensued. He was just shrugging his shoulders saying "yeh, of course you can take 2"

Every other person in the queue was going ballistic.

I quietly gave up and walked back to have a look at the jackets and what not. Whereupon I spotted a lonely Garmin sitting in the display case.
    5 minutes later I was in my car with my new Garmin grinning like a cheshire cat.
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Mec-a-nic

thejaguar wrote: »
    ... I spotted a lonely Garmin sitting in the display case.

It ain't over till the fat lady sings.

Slightly off topic, this morning I found a small pile of Medisana Bluetooth4 heart rate monitors in the bargain bin of Lidl (Fortunestown) for €20. Worked out of the box with my Strava on android.

I got the standard front and rear pack as back up lights should my lights break or fail. Wondering if it's worth returning to get the premium set?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

Popped into the Parnell St shop about 30 mins ago to pick up the 500 for a mate. They'd tonnes of 200's but had sold out of the 500's at about 11.

The gear looked like a mixed bag. I grabbed the waterproof socks and merino base layer. Jacket looked good but not my bag. Really heavy fabric. I've not come across much weather in Ireland that would require it.

Tempted by a stand, but I have enough stuff hanging out at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭chuck eastwood

I picked up the turbo trainer and it's pretty much what I expected for the money but it'll do for a quick workout while the nipper is sleeping. I have yet to find a baby monitor with a 50k range so this will have to do :) . The only problem is the level control doesn't fit my bars but I just need a longer 4mm bolt. Any hardware store will stock these for about 10 cent. 20 min spin and again it is what I expected. You really need to concentrate and push/pull the whole way through the 360 degree stroke or it lags because you don't have much in the way of momentum to keep you spinning.

I also got the rain jacket with fleece collar for €27 which is a total bargin. I have been looking at altura and various other hi vis winter on amazon and in the cycle superstore. This is just as good and at a third of the price.

Got a few of the gels for about €1.30 and the recovery tabs. If the don't help on the road they might work for a hangover :)

I they still had the Garmin 500 in blessington but my BBB works just fine so even at €100 I couldn't justify buying it for the sake of a new toy. If you don't already have something it's a bargin, otherwise it's just another reason for the wife to burn the ear off you

• Registered Users Posts: 19,613 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

any reviews on the premium rear light, is it decent?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Einstein?

Was there a premium rear light? I got a set there cus I needed a back light that sits on the seat stays. I already have a front one spitting out 700 lumens.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,284 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Einstein? wrote: »
    Was there a premium rear light? I got a set there cus I needed a back light that sits on the seat stays. I already have a front one spitting out 700 lumens.
    According to the flier, there were "premium" front (50 lumen) and rear light (25 lumen) at a tenner each rather than a set.

Just saw them there, I wonder if they're suitable for seatstays?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭Senecio

Picked up a Garmin in Coolock this morning. All very civilised to be fair. It looked like they had a bit of stock.

Now to dust off the bike and get out and use it.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

They're small, and light in weight and the right shape. I would wonder about the mount and whether it would be enough to stop it slipping. They're a good light though!

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭bren_mc

Wanted a decent rear light so I picked up one of these rather than the standard front and rear set. It comes with a mount for saddle rails and one for the seatpost. The seatpost attachment is a strong rubber band with four holes that mean you can adjust it for various different diameters. On the smallest setting I would think it would fit quite snugly on the seatstay although I didn't bring the bike to work today so haven't tested it. The light attaches horizontally or vertically to the mount - I'm guessing you want it vertical on the seatstay.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭bren_mc

They're small, and light in weight and the right shape. I would wonder about the mount and whether it would be enough to stop it slipping. They're a good light though!

If it did slip you could always put some sort of shim in there. An old bit of inner tube or something.

Might pop back into the carnage later on today after work to find empty cages with XS sized garments.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,645 ✭✭✭✭listermint

D3PO wrote: »
    appears they only had 2 edges in tallaght. i got one and both now gone.

I was in the biker gear, decided at the door not to get one, spending enough money on bibs and stuff today so kept it sane.

Feck all stuff in Tallaght, had to go elsewhere for the clothing, it was very disappointing stock for clothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

I arrived to Parnell St just after 9am to find it already resembled the Fall of Saigon. Everyone was very polite though! I got everything I wanted; premium shoes, premium lights (front and rear), winter gloves, tights, winter shirt and balaclava, all for around €90.

The premium lights very close resemble the Moon Comet one, but not a total match. (They're up to Mk 2 now, I used to have a Mk 1). Good and bright though, so well worth the money IMO (the Moon version being at least €25 plus postage usually).

P.

Advertisement