Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi Cycling offers Thursday 24 Sept

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

seamus wrote: »
    50L light for a tenner would be a decent backup light to have in your bag. I'm not absolutely sold on LIDL/ALDI clothes. Decent enough if you don't want to use your expensive gear commuting, but they do wear out quickly and the fit/trim is never as good as the more expensive kit (obviously). So if your commute is long, the more expensive kit might be worth it in the long run

Agree on the gear. In all my years of cycling (24 years since first starting proper) the only cycling gear that ever injured me was Aldis bib tights. Cheap ass zips resulting in Little Tunney getting a nasty nasty cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 jsnm995

Picked up performance jersey and jacket... Jersey is a bit short in the front... But good quality.. In college atm so can't test then till the weekend...
    Got the turbo trainer to keep fitness up over the winter while in college... Prefer my own bike than having to go to the gym

• Registered Users Posts: 17,869 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Just fyi on those premium lights its the fat old USB needed to charge them in case you didnt notice. You'll get microUSB adapters on EBAY for a euro though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

How long should you get out of a single charge?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

Thargor wrote: »
    Just fyi on those premium lights its the fat old USB needed to charge them in case you didnt notice. You'll get microUSB adapters on EBAY for a euro though.

They do come with their own USB lead though.

P.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Macy0161 wrote: »
    According to the flier, there were "premium" front (50 lumen) and rear light (25 lumen) at a tenner each rather than a set.

No - the premium are individual. There is another set not as good which is a dual pack.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

Picked up the bib tights, Compression top and yellow long sleeve top...

Could have spent 200e but got myself out of there. Quality is fine for the price.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

jon1981 wrote: »
    How long should you get out of a single charge?

I got 3 hours or so flashing from mine. They warn when the battery is low, but I found that they died very fast after that warning.

Thats not very good tbh.

Thats not very good tbh.

For 10 euro?

• Advertisement

3 hours could leave you at risk of being without a light in Winter, that's dangerous. I have 2 Eneloop rechargeable AAs in a cheap light I bought from Aliexpress that can be seen for miles and it will flash for days, a week even. batteries and light probably came to 7-8 Euro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

1 cable in work and 1 at home and I'm sorted so. Just switched on the premium light at home in a dark room. Seems brighter than my Cateye. Only got the front one. Have a good rear 5 led light and now have a rear helmet light too. All in spent €60 that I don't have on gear I don't actually need. Had to stop myself buying the toolkit and other crap that I'll never use as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Rambling Man

Plenty of Hobgoblin left.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

They're not designed for long-distance midwinter cycles to be fair, they're commuting lights. And city commuting lights at that, 50L isn't enough for country roads.

If you commute more than 1.5 hours each way, you would be advised to spend more than €20 in Aldi on your lights.

3 hours could leave you at risk of being without a light in Winter, that's dangerous. I have 2 Eneloop rechargeable AAs in a cheap light I bought from Aliexpress that can be seen for miles and it will flash for days, a week even. batteries and light probably came to 7-8 Euro.

Guess it depends on your use. I have a 20 min commute to work so would suit me fine. In the winter I definitely won't be out on spins near the hours of darkness. I agree 3 hours is not great if you plan to be doing long spins during hours near darkness.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I got 3 hours or so flashing from mine. They warn when the battery is low, but I found that they died very fast after that warning.

How did you manage to charge it fully and get three hours lighting from it if they only went on sale 5 hours ago? Move is still charging and not fully charged yet and it's been charging nearly 3hrs now. A green light should show when fully charged.

How did you manage to charge it fully and get three hours lighting from it if they only went on sale 5 hours ago? Move is still charging and not fully charged yet and it's been charging nearly 3hrs now. A green light should show when fully charged.

I'm assuming the poster has bought it previously on a prior Aldi cycling special?! :o

EDIT never mind :)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I have an identical one bought from China from 2 years back. Specs the same, and look identical.

seamus wrote: »
    They're not designed for long-distance midwinter cycles to be fair, they're commuting lights. And city commuting lights at that, 50L isn't enough for country roads.

If you commute more than 1.5 hours each way, you would be advised to spend more than €20 in Aldi on your lights.

I'd beg to differ, in full bright mode they are very bright, I'll be using mine on unlit rural roads at night, anything brighter will possibly cause glare to car drivers behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Plenty of Hobgoblin left.
    The review of the King Goblin is what I am really waiting for tbh.

• Advertisement

I have an identical one bought from China from 2 years back. Specs the same, and look identical.

Ah right good enough. 3hrs is more than I'd need on a night spin so it'll do me good.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

listermint wrote: »
    I was in the biker gear, decided at the door not to get one, spending enough money on bibs and stuff today so kept it sane.

Feck all stuff in Tallaght, had to go elsewhere for the clothing, it was very disappointing stock for clothing.

ah yeah I saw you at the door. yep disappointed with the lack of clothing myself. possibly a blessing in disguise means ive put in a boards winter order instead :D

Ah right good enough. 3hrs is more than I'd need on a night spin so it'll do me good.

It could be 4 hours to be honest. I just know that after 3 I recharge. And mine are well used, so maybe you guys will get 6 hours +.

Even at 3 hours flashing, its not bad for a tiny, USB rechargable light. Good buy for 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Irish Warri0r

Bought the cycling shoes this morning what pedals, cleats do i need? Sorry new to all this.Will these do? http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-pd-r540-spd-sl-sport-pedals/

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Bought the cycling shoes this morning what pedals, cleats do i need? Sorry new to all this.Will these do? http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-pd-r540-spd-sl-sport-pedals/

Nope, I'm pretty sure those shoes are only compatible with regular Shimano SPDs (not SPD-SL or Look Keo)

So these (or similar) http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-pd-m520-pedals/

• Registered Users Posts: 21 lfc79

Not sure if this needs to go in the Wanted / for Sale forum but.....had someone pick up the Performance Bib tights in Aldi this morning but they brought me the medium ones when I need large.....Doh!

Anyone have the opposite problem and interested in a swap? (New for new obviously!)

It would save me bringing them back coz local Aldi already out of stock on large ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

Nope, I'm pretty sure those shoes are only compatible with regular Shimano SPDs (not SPD-SL or Look Keo)

So these (or similar) http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-pd-m520-pedals/

This ^^^^^

• Registered Users Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭mathie

What's the turbo trainer like?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

Mec-a-nic wrote: »
    It ain't over till the fat lady sings.

Slightly off topic, this morning I found a small pile of Medisana Bluetooth4 heart rate monitors in the bargain bin of Lidl (Fortunestown) for €20. Worked out of the box with my Strava on android.
    Funny enough I went to aldi for a garmin which they didn't have and left with a Crane hrm that I paid €15 for, it was the last one on Coolock.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

For anyone in Cork, I was in The Edge today, they are matching the Aldi price of €109 for the Garmin 500 if you are a Loyalty Card holder. Regular price €139. Forgot to ask if you could sign up for the loyalty card on the day.

100412.2526@compuserve.com

Advertisement