Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi Cycling offers Thursday 24 Sept

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

seamus wrote: »
    50L light for a tenner would be a decent backup light to have in your bag. I'm not absolutely sold on LIDL/ALDI clothes. Decent enough if you don't want to use your expensive gear commuting, but they do wear out quickly and the fit/trim is never as good as the more expensive kit (obviously). So if your commute is long, the more expensive kit might be worth it in the long run

I had the same light for about a year and a half. At least I presume it's the same, I bought mine from China, for in and around the same price(looks identical). Very bright for it's size. Surprisingly good battery life. Only recently did it fail, but it sat on the commuter almost all the time and the water just got to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭marty_crane

Anyone know from previous experience what the sizing is like in the merino top?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I'm half considering the jacket. I have a Gabba, but not sure how I feel using it commuting. If the jacket was decent it would probably be a better option.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

The Bikemate light looks extremely like one from the Moon brand; is it just a rebrand or foreign version?

https://www.aldi.ie/en/specialbuys/thur-24-sep/products-detail-page/ps/p/premium-bike-lights/

P.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭shootermacg

I'm interested in that turbo trainer. Does anyone know if it fits a quick release wheel?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,484 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Yes, the quick release skewers go into the bolt on either side and you tigthen them up to hold the bike securely in place.

You may need to get a more basic QR as some of them don't fit the systems well, but they are easy and cheap to get

Something like these ones tend not to allow a secure fit

mpart-wheel-quick-release-skewers.jpg

But these ones tend to be much better

tacx-quick-release-skewer.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭dfdream

Generally these types of turbos come with its own special skewer for the rear wheel that fits into the turbos holding clamps.

Its best to have an old wheel with a chap tyre and the special skewer on it .

Makes it easier to switch from turbo to off the turbo.

I'm interested in that turbo trainer. Does anyone know if it fits a quick release wheel?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

oceanclub wrote: »
    The Bikemate light looks extremely like one from the Moon brand; is it just a rebrand or foreign version?

https://www.aldi.ie/en/specialbuys/thur-24-sep/products-detail-page/ps/p/premium-bike-lights/

P.

I thought that too. I think I'll pick one up anyway to have as a back up light in case the other gives up during winter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Any views on the lobster gloves? I have a pair of Polaris gloves for winter, which are just a little too tight. Restricted circulation and cold mornings are not a good mix. Is there any gel padding in these, as I'm a bit sensitive to vibration

https://www.aldi.ie/en/specialbuys/thur-24-sep/products-detail-page/ps/p/mensladies-waterproof-lobster-cycling-gloves/?pk_campaign=ie_product_newsletter&pk_kwd=2015-09-21_16-16

Premium lights look good too.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Leroy42 wrote: »
    After the recent thread (and Trek product recall) about people crashing when these QR handles went into their disc rotor, I expect you'll have great difficulty getting your hands on these anymore. New ones, certainly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,758 ✭✭✭cython

After the recent thread (and Trek product recall) about people crashing when these QR handles went into their disc rotor, I expect you'll have great difficulty getting your hands on these anymore. New ones, certainly.

Shimano still seem to be selling disc hubs with a similar style of skewer: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/shimano-xt-disc-hub-front-m756/rp-prod3986

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Ouch, I'd be looking to use the supplied quick release skewer rather than have to swap back and forth. I do have disk breaks.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭nialljf

how are the arm and leg warmers?

nialljf wrote: »
    how are the arm and leg warmers?

Personally I have found them to be poor, compared to the better (and more expensive!) offerings from Castelli etc. I find that the fitting is very poor.

But they are great for throwing in your commute bag, will definitely get you through if you find yourself stuck. I have both the arm & leg warmers from previous offerings and they are more than good enough for my commute. Means I can save the good ones for the weekend cycles etc.

That of course could just be me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭Taxuser1

Has anyone tasted Aldi's Hobgoblin Gold recovery drink. Would it get too frothy in the bidon ? Should I take it within 20 minutes of finishing ?

Has anyone carb loaded with it and what were the results ?

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Dummy

Hi,

My son has recently joined a cycling club & I need to get a pair of cycling shoes & pedals for him. I have never bought these before & know nothing about cycling shoes.

Are these shoes decent for a road bike? Or do I need to spend more?

Rgds,

D.

@Dummy They are more than good enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 aust82

Hi anybody know if a hrm or cadence sensor comes in the box with the garmin 500? Thanks

At that price, I'm going to say no. It's usually specifically marketed as a "bundle" if it comes with the HRM and/or the cadence sensor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭PGE1970

Hi all,

I'm quite new to cycling (primarily to lose weight as I am restricted to the types of exercise that i can undertake). I'm not a professional by any stretch and would do a 50km run at weekends and maybe 3 x 25/30km runs after work during the week.

2 questions: Would you think that the jackets/jerseys suit a man of, ahem, "fuller figure" e.g waist 38"?

Secondly, I'd like to get a turbo trainer so that I can cycle during the dark week nights and continue regular cycling over the winter. My local bike shop quoted me €180! The Aldi one is clearly a lot cheaper but is it necessarily better value?

Many thanks for all suggestions!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

aust82 wrote: »
    Hi anybody know if a hrm or cadence sensor comes in the box with the garmin 500? Thanks

I emailed their customer service. its just the headunit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

you'll pick up a cadence and HRM sensor for about 80 quid, so still works out much cheaper than the bundle on Wiggle at 244euro

PGE1970 wrote: »
    2 questions: Would you think that the jackets/jerseys suit a man of, ahem, "fuller figure" e.g waist 38"?
    They're usually just hanging on a rack so you can try them on in the shop. Medium and Large tend to go very quickly, so you should be OK if you go for the XL.

Just note that cycling clothes are supposed to be snug. Having been a "portly gentleman" (who am I kidding, I still am :D) in the past, the tendency is to avoid close-fitting clothes, but for cycling you just need to suck it up. Literally. Obviously you don't want to be nearly bursting out the zip, but if the clothes should feel a little bit like putting on a wetsuit, in that they're close-fitting, but you can still move in them.
    Secondly, I'd like to get a turbo trainer so that I can cycle during the dark week nights and continue regular cycling over the winter. My local bike shop quoted me €180! The Aldi one is clearly a lot cheaper but is it necessarily better value?
    It's kind of hard to say. Worst case scenario, you use this trainer all winter and it gives up the ghost early next year, and you go and buy a more expensive one. You still got a winter's training out of it though (and figured out whether you even want a turbo trainer!).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

PGE1970 wrote: »

Many thanks for all suggestions!

I'd imagine the Aldi one will be decent quality and will do you through the winter without any problems. You may find you want something more advanced/quieter in the future in which case you can sell the Aldi one and recoup some of your money.

I'd also hazard a guess that the trainers and Garmin 500's will sell fairly quickly so you'll want to be at the door on opening (9am) if you want one.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,626 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

I'd also hazard a guess that the Garmin 500's will sell fairly quickly so you'll want to be at the door on opening (9am) if you want one.

Also would be handy to know if they are in glass cabinets or in the baskets. Where do Aldi typically keep these? I know Lidl put the camera sunglasses in the cabinet.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Crank Stain

hxxp://issuu.com/onlineprospekt/docs/aldi_sued_angebote_kw35.compressed

Range isn't as extensive but the cycling gear is cheaper in Aldi in Germany.
    Its a disgrace Joe!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

mrcheez wrote: »
    Also would be handy to know if they are in glass cabinets or in the baskets. Where do Aldi typically keep these? I know Lidl put the camera sunglasses in the cabinet.

in glass cabinets in coolock

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

jon1981 wrote: »
    in glass cabinets in coolock

how does it work ? do you just ask a member of staff to unlock and give you one ? I intend to go in to the local store for opening to nab one.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Einstein?

Does Aldi Rathmines usually have good stock of this sort of stuff? Would like to get a Garmin 500 :D Will be there when it opens :cool: :pac: :p

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

mrcheez wrote: »

Last time Aldi had a garmin they were with the cashier. Best bet to just ask a staff member.

Advertisement