Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi Cycling offers Thursday 24 Sept

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

I will be in Aldi Tallaght. I will post how many they have in stock if and when I get one Thursday morning. Might help other boardsies if others post the same for the other stores.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

D3PO wrote: »
    how does it work ? do you just ask a member of staff to unlock and give you one ? I intend to go in to the local store for opening to nab one.

You ask a staff member, some stores might operate differently, but I've just asked a staff member anytime I wanted to view an item.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,869 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

PGE1970 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I'm quite new to cycling (primarily to lose weight as I am restricted to the types of exercise that i can undertake). I'm not a professional by any stretch and would do a 50km run at weekends and maybe 3 x 25/30km runs after work during the week.

2 questions: Would you think that the jackets/jerseys suit a man of, ahem, "fuller figure" e.g waist 38"?

Secondly, I'd like to get a turbo trainer so that I can cycle during the dark week nights and continue regular cycling over the winter. My local bike shop quoted me €180! The Aldi one is clearly a lot cheaper but is it necessarily better value?

Many thanks for all suggestions!
    Dont forget Turbo Trainers wear away whatever tyre you put in them so find a cheap one to sacrifice.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,626 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

jon1981 wrote: »
    You ask a staff member, some stores might operate differently, but I've just asked a staff member anytime I wanted to view an item.

Ask the one opening the doors at 9 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭Fian

Secondly, I'd like to get a turbo trainer so that I can cycle during the dark week nights and continue regular cycling over the winter. My local bike shop quoted me €180! The Aldi one is clearly a lot cheaper but is it necessarily better value?

Many thanks for all suggestions!

Don't underestimate how unpleasant a turbo trainer is compared to cycling. I certainly find it difficult to motivate myself to get up on it and can't normally continue beyond 40 minutes or so, more from just being sick of it than from being physically unable to continue. You may find yourself getting less use out of it than you expect.

Also you will need to find a well ventilated tiled/wooden floored room to use it in. Without any wind cooling you will generate a puddle on the floor under you pretty quickly and the smell will also build up.

Basically the difference between cycling and a turbo trainer is that one of them is enjoyable and the other is a means to an end in terms of improving your cycling ability.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,869 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

An Aldi turbo trainer is the best one to try anyway because they take stuff back no questions asked even a month later.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭SCOL

Are the lights any good ???
    50 lumens will that light up the road or just help to find your keys in your commut bag ????

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

SCOL wrote: »
    Are the lights any good ???
    50 lumens will that light up the road or just help to find your keys in your commut bag ????

As I said previously I have a set of these lights. Bought them from China, they look identical and have the same spec. They are great backup lights. But will not be bright enough to properly see your way in the dark. I would say they are a good buy for the money and served me well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭PGE1970

Fian wrote: »
    Don't underestimate how unpleasant a turbo trainer is compared to cycling. I certainly find it difficult to motivate myself to get up on it and can't normally continue beyond 40 minutes or so, more from just being sick of it than from being physically unable to continue. You may find yourself getting less use out of it than you expect.

Also you will need to find a well ventilated tiled/wooden floored room to use it in. Without any wind cooling you will generate a puddle on the floor under you pretty quickly and the smell will also build up.

Basically the difference between cycling and a turbo trainer is that one of them is enjoyable and the other is a means to an end in terms of improving your cycling ability.

Thanks, hadn't thought of that. At the moment, cycling is a means to lose some weight as it is the only form of exercise that I can undertake with reasonable intensity bar swimming (which I don't enjoy). I have a decent sized room with a wooden floor. I don't mind the puddle, it means that I'm probably sweating off a few ounces!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭CyaL8r

Just wondering how the skewers in modern wheels work with a turbo trainer? I have Fulcrum Racing Sport wheels and the open/close part is flat so it does not fit into the hole on the turbo trainer. I have an old trainer and it will not hold my bike right because of this.
    Looking at the Aldi one it looks like the same closing/securing mechanism as is on my trainer

What I mean is the modern skewer is like the on at the top of this pic and the old style is like the bottom one.
    http://bikebro.com/Images/e2/quick_releases.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,758 ✭✭✭cython

CyaL8r wrote: »
    Just wondering how the skewers in modern wheels work with a turbo trainer? I have Fulcrum Racing Sport wheels and the open/close part is flat so it does not fit into the hole on the turbo trainer. I have an old trainer and it will not hold my bike right because of this.
    Looking at the Aldi one it looks like the same closing/securing mechanism as is on my trainer

What I mean is the modern skewer is like the on at the top of this pic and the old style is like the bottom one.
    http://bikebro.com/Images/e2/quick_releases.gif

Most turbos come with a skewer for the rear wheel that is compatible with their fitments. Otherwise you can buy turbo-specific skewers like this one

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭CyaL8r

cython wrote: »
    Most turbos come with a skewer for the rear wheel that is compatible with their fitments. Otherwise you can buy turbo-specific skewers like this one

Cheers for that. I got my turbo 2nd hand so it didn't come with the skewer. Thanks for you help.

What size is the medium bib tights? waist and leg length? I'm assuming the smallest size is medium based on the website.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

What size is the medium bib tights? waist and leg length? I'm assuming the smallest size is medium based on the website.

I have medium bib rights from the Pro range at Aldi. I'm 5'11" with 32" waist, 38cm chest and 32cm inside seam and 75kg. They're perfect fit.

I have medium bib rights from the Pro range at Aldi. I'm 5'11" with 32" waist, 38cm chest and 32cm inside seam and 75kg. They're perfect fit.

Darn my short 30inch ( presume you meant inch) leg probably won't fit so!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Darn my short 30inch ( presume you meant inch) leg probably won't fit so!

Yeah sorry 32"

what height are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Swamp3

The Turbo specs:
    Front wheel stand
    Magnetic brake
    Light-running rollers, for reduced tyre wear
    5 step resistance setting via handlebar remote
    Stand feet with level adjustment
    Folds up for storage
    For bike with axle width 150-210mm
    Bike clamping through locking lever
    Max load 135kg including bike

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Rambling Man

Hobgoblin Beer only €2.29:D

Yeah sorry 32"

what height are you?

5ft 8inch , if the medium fits you at 5ft 11 in certainly won't fit me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭PGE1970

Swamp3 wrote: »
    The Turbo specs:
    Front wheel stand
    Magnetic brake
    Light-running rollers, for reduced tyre wear
    5 step resistance setting via handlebar remote
    Stand feet with level adjustment
    Folds up for storage
    For bike with axle width 150-210mm
    Bike clamping through locking lever
    Max load 135kg including bike

Thanks Swamp.

I'd be obliged to hear what people think? Is that good enough/suitable for a beginner? Also, the video on Aldi website doesn't show anywhere to put the front wheel. Is it a case that there is not an attachment to raise the angle of the front wheel? Perhaps it's not necessary?

thanks again!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭traprunner

A question about the Garmin Edge 500. I have an old forerunner and it came with the heart rate chest strap. Would it work with the 500? It looks identical to the ones in the 500 bundles.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

traprunner wrote: »
    A question about the Garmin Edge 500. I have an old forerunner and it came with the heart rate chest strap. Would it work with the 500? It looks identical to the ones in the 500 bundles.

If the heart rate strap uses ant+ your good to go

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭traprunner

Borderfox wrote: »
    If the heart rate strap uses ant+ your good to go

Thanks Borderfox. I'll have to check that out.

Edit: Looks like it does. Happy days :)

Thanks Swamp.

I'd be obliged to hear what people think? Is that good enough/suitable for a beginner? Also, the video on Aldi website doesn't show anywhere to put the front wheel. Is it a case that there is not an attachment to raise the angle of the front wheel? Perhaps it's not necessary?

thanks again!

There's a stand for the front wheel in the box.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Einstein?

Any chance if I get in this evening they'll give me a garmin500?

Is there a chance they'll stock the stuff late tonight before closing?

No and no.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Einstein?

Do u work in aldi? :D

Einstein? wrote: »
    Do u work in aldi? :D

No...I am Aldi

• Advertisement

Just checked and some shops will only be getting 4 garmins.
    If they're gone when you get there, just ask a manager to ring around and see if another shop has one.
    Plenty of hobgoblin beer available though!

Advertisement