Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do you queue?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

I hate the till delays with the lotto tickets, cigarettes, 100 questions etc. That would be my main peeve.

Along with that, you then have to try not to looked pissed off when you make eye contact with the cashier and the person ahead of you, during the awkwardly long transactions between them.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,344 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

efb wrote: »
    So cash is the only incentive they had for people to use their business??? Wow

This is basically how I'll explain it to you.
    You've pensioner A.
    There paid directly into the back. Amount is paid in at midnight on Friday. These people can head to town at anytime to do their shopping. They might go directly to Lidl and ignore the town/do it online and isolate themselves even more.
    Pensioner B is paid at the local post office from 9am They go into town on Friday. They get to meet more people. There more active. They pass the local shops and they can pop in if they want. They can do there shopping locally if they want or go to the supermarkets.

I've no issue with either. I just think people should have the choice.
    I don't work for an post/cash in transit.
    We're not going to agree in this topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭starling

See we'd save €€€'s in tax evasion

Lol yes, but we'd have to legalise prostitution and certain drugs. Not that I'm against either of those ideas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

This is basically how I'll explain it to you.
    You've pensioner A.
    There paid directly into the back. Amount is paid in at midnight on Friday. These people can head to town at anytime to do their shopping. They might go directly to Lidl and ignore the town/do it online and isolate themselves even more.
    Pensioner B is paid at the local post office from 9am They go into town on Friday. They get to meet more people. There more active. They pass the local shops and they can pop in if they want. They can do there shopping locally if they want or go to the supermarkets.

I've no issue with either. I just think people should have the choice.
    I don't work for an post/cash in transit.
    We're not going to agree in this topic.

What's stopping A going to the shops? And I gave an option to charge it locally

So cash is the only incentive they had for people to use their business??? Wow

To be fair, although there are certain benefits to SME s not having to deal with cash (Charlie Chalke springs to mind) there are some disadvantages too. Like if I buy a carton of milk with cash, the shop gets all the cash, but if I pay for stuff with a card, both of us - the customer and the shopkeeper - get charged for that transaction by the bank. Fúck's sake. I mean I appreciate that it costs the bank to provide services like debit cards, and maintain card terminals at the POS but still. I'm sure there are other issues that piss SMEs off that I'm not qualified to describe. Like I remember working at a company that took payment by any credit card except American Express, and apparently that was not uncommon at the time because there was something about the way AE paid that was a major hassle. That was years ago though so I'm fuzzy on the details (and yes I know debit cards aren't the same as credit cards but still it wouldn't surprise me if there were similar issues, charges and red tape and whatnot).

Edit: in fact there are two local newsagents near me that didn't accept any form of card payment until last year, believe it or not. Pretty much for that exact reason.

• Advertisement

starling wrote: »
    To be fair, although there are certain benefits to SME s not having to deal with cash (Charlie Chalke springs to mind) there are some disadvantages too. Like if I buy a carton of milk with cash, the shop gets all the cash, but if I pay for stuff with a card, both of us - the customer and the shopkeeper - get charged for that transaction by the bank. Fúck's sake. I mean I appreciate that it costs the bank to provide services like debit cards, and maintain card terminals at the POS but still.

The bank charge for cash too. If it was all cards it would be run more efficiently

What's stopping A going to the shops? And I gave an option to charge it locally

Nothing.
    But if person A had to walk by the shop there's more a chance they'll shop in the shops/be more active/which also benefits the economy.
    Would you prefer your elderly parents to be going out to the shops every week or waiting for there bank account to be toped up so they'd can order online from Tesco?

Nothing.
    But if person A had to walk by the shop there's more a chance they'll shop in the shops/be more active/which also benefits the economy.
    Would you prefer your elderly parents to be going out to the shops every week or waiting for there bank account to be toped up so they'd can order online from Tesco?

My parents aren't elderly. My dad doesn't have a card, my mum does and used it everywhere. Late fifties/early sixties

I hate online grocery shopping. It's one of the few things I don't do online. Using a card doesn't make it compulsory

Nothing.

Also, just on the topic of online ordering from tesco/Supervalu - you have to spend a minimum of €50 to get a delivery, even though you are also paying delivery charges. Which IMO is prohibitive for people on pensions/disability etc - sure I wouldn't spend €50 on food in a month

• Advertisement

I am not advocating online shopping! Just cashless society

My parents aren't elderly. My dad doesn't have a card, my mum does and used it everywhere. Late fifties/early sixties

So your dad in a widow in twenty years time. Would you prefer him to be trained up to use online shopping/cards and staying in the house Or would you prefer going out on a Friday and bumping into old friends and chatting to them in the local town and staying mobile and supporting local business in your rural area?

I hate online grocery shopping. It's one of the few things I don't do online. Using a card doesn't make it compulsory

I was wary at first but fúckin love it now, it's a lifesaver for someone like me who can't carry sh1t home and doesn't drive - the problem is the minimum spend as I ranted about just there.

I'd get it for bulk stuff, store cupboard foods (big bags of pasta/rice etc) and freezer things and then just go to Lidl for fresh stuff like fruit, veg, milk etc.

The bank charge for cash too. If it was all cards it would be run more efficiently

Yeah they charge the shopkeeper, but not me - like if I were still getting a cash payment from the PO I wouldn't be charged

........right?

*is actually just realising how much she doesn't know about how this stuff works*

So your dad in a widow in twenty years time. Would you prefer him to be trained up to use online shopping/cards and staying in the house Or would you prefer going out on a Friday and bumping into old friends and chatting to them in the local town and staying mobile and supporting local business in your rural area?

I'd prefer my mother wasn't dead. Using a card doesn't make him housebound

Yeah they charge the shopkeeper, but not me - like if I were still getting a cash payment from the PO I wouldn't be charged

........right?

*is actually just realising how much she doesn't know about how this stuff works*

The banks charge you to withdraw cash, and cash costs far more to transfer to the PO than eft

I'd prefer my mother wasn't dead. Using a card doesn't make him housebound

You've your opinion and I've mine.
    In my experience with elderly people the people who collect there pension every week at the post office are far more active and indpendent than those who get their pension payed directly into the bank. I've seen people change from being payed from the post office into the bank and they've changed back to the post office.

You've your opinion and I've mine.
    In my experience with elderly people the people who collect there pension every week at the post office are far more active and indpendent than those who get their pension payed directly into the bank. I've seen people change from being payed from the post office into the bank and they've changed back to the post office.

Well getting the money paid directly doesn't mean causation of houseboundedness

Perhaps some people get it direct as they are unable to travel to the po

Well getting the money paid directly doesn't mean causation of houseboundedness

Perhaps some people get it direct as they are unable to travel to the po

I do get where your coming from.
    But when you've got to get up and head into town it's good for you to keep going both mentally and physically.
    Whilst if you know it's in the bank it sort of makes you put it off.
    As I said I've no issue with people getting it paid directly I just know people who did and changed back because they found it basically made them lazy.

I do get where your coming from.
    But when you've got to get up and head into town it's good for you to keep going both mentally and physically.
    Whilst if you know it's in the bank it sort of makes you put it off.
    As I said I've no issue with people getting it paid directly I just know people who did and changed back because they found it basically made them lazy.

So keep cash to stop old people getting lazy!

• Advertisement

So keep cash to stop old people getting lazy!

And lonely.
    Less mobile.

The banks charge you to withdraw cash, and cash costs far more to transfer to the PO than eft

Wait...costs whom more? Let's say I'm getting an allowance of €100 and its paid through the PO...so I go to the PO and get €100 into my hand. If there is a charge involved is it the bank charging the PO? Is this something that is then accounted for by taxes or something? sorry if I sound like an eejit I got a fúckin arts degree instead:pac:

*is now v confused and tired and probably should have been asleep an hour ago*

Wait...costs whom more? Let's say I'm getting an allowance of €100 and its paid through the PO...so I go to the PO and get €100 into my hand. If there is a charge involved is it the bank charging the PO? Is this something that is then accounted for by taxes or something? sorry if I sound like an eejit I got a fúckin arts degree instead:pac:

*is now v confused and tired and probably should have been asleep an hour ago*

Are you referring to a social welfare payment?

In this hypothetical scenario, yes...but also thinking of the pensioners - does it make a difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,276 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Worst queuing behaviour has to be where someone buys a scratch-card and then scratches it at the till expecting everyone behind her to share in her joy as she almost wins (damnit, that 3rd one was only 1000 instead of 10000) and she then decides, ah sure what the heck, I'll have another one.

Get out of my way woman. I only want to buy a feckin postage stamp and I've been here for 5 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

I'd love to that that were you just pick up the stuff, scan as you go and pay and leave without queuing at a till

That is actually being planned at the moment. There will be RFID tags/labels or something on the products. When you walk out of the shop, through a tunnel of some sort, all the tags will be scanned and the cost deducted from you card.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,009 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I friggin hate Airport queues.

Last week

Half an hour to go through security at entrance
    Half an hour to check in
    Twenty minutes going through next security
    Twenty minutes to queue to pay in shop

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭duchalla

I remember being in a new hotel in Turkey 3 or 4 years ago. The queue to the bar was one single line which streached for the bar all the way out to reception! I thought it was hilarious, no one standing the lenght of the bar, just every person standing behind the other in an orderly queue, with 2 young fellas inside the bar serving...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

never give it any thought. no one is ever in a queue that long. people need to be more realistic and patient. just saying:)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭strelok

duchalla wrote: »
    I remember being in a new hotel in Turkey 3 or 4 years ago. The queue to the bar was one single line which streached for the bar all the way out to reception! I thought it was hilarious, no one standing the lenght of the bar, just every person standing behind the other in an orderly queue, with 2 young fellas inside the bar serving...

that's the kind of situation where even when it's the fairest, even when it's the best solution... it just feels so wrong

Advertisement