Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do you queue?

Options
  • 13-09-2015 7:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭

I like the single queue where you are called to the counter myself. Supermarket queuing annoys me as its so arbitrary queues, especially in Dunnes/Tesco can grind to a halt when the cashier gets up to check something. Lidl is fast but hate being stuck in a longer queue

What's your queuing dilemas/pet hates?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Notavirus.exe

When I go shopping I just pick up my stuff and walk out the door, what in the world would I be queuing for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Airport queues. Stupid poles!*

*not a racist*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

When I go shopping I just pick up my stuff and walk out the door, what in the world would I be queuing for?

I'd love to that that were you just pick up the stuff, scan as you go and pay and leave without queuing at a till

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Po the reds and then screw back for the yellow, green, brown, blue, pink, and black

Sorry, wrong queue!

Ruu wrote: »
    Airport queues. Stupid poles!*

Security at Airports!!! Agh people annoy me so much!!! Wait til your at the top of the queue to get get your stuff sorted

*not a racist*

Security at Airports!!! Agh people annoy me so much!!! Wait til your at the top of the queue to get get your stuff sorted... Sure the last 20 minutes were meant for looking around aimlessly

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

efb wrote: »

I like the single queue where you are called to the counter myself. Supermarket queuing annoys me as its so arbitrary queues, especially in Dunnes/Tesco can grind to a halt when the cashier gets up to check something. Lidl is fast but hate being stuck in a longer queue

What's your queuing dilemas/pet hates?

Self service/local shops for smaller shops ....I live in the country so no ques :D:D

Self service/local shops for smaller shops ....I live in the country so no ques :D:D

That's one reason I prefer my local shop, a little dearer but no pointless queuing!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭5T3PH3N

Never really thought about how i queue up, but I have my cash or card ready before I get to the till. I hate those clowns that spend ages in the queue and then when they get to the till don't have their sh!t ready.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,415 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

It's a good opportunity to study other people's shopping and make wild generalisations on their lifestyles.

5T3PH3N wrote: »
    Never really thought about how i queue up, but I have my cash or card ready before I get to the till. I hate those clowns that spend ages in the queue and then when they get to the till don't have their sh!t ready.

This one woman in Lidl thought it was ok to pay in coppers... I could have smashed her head off the till- I love the contactless payment!!! Beep- done!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

How is it arbitrary? And if a cashier needs to check something, they need to. People are big babies when it comes to queues. :P

Hate the impatience at ATM queues. OK, some people really dilly dally, but I've heard people complain about people doing various things at ATMs, things that are options for them. And often the complainer will avail of those services themselves. Just feckin' wait, and stop complaining!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

....where there is someone who asks a 100 questions and then wants fags, scratch cards, lotto tickets or some other time consuming item and there is no other assistant to take your payment and get you moving. I hate delays.

I LOVE Aldi or Lidl as no nonsense is tolerated in the checkout. You get your stuff scanned in double quick time and out the door fast.

I love the petrol stations where you can pay directly at the pumps and get going fast. There is one at Ballymount and its great.

Tarzana2 wrote: »
    How is it arbitrary? And if a cashier needs to check something, they need to. People are big babies when it comes to queues. :P

Hate the impatience at ATM queues. OK, some people really dilly dally, but I've heard people complain about people doing various things at ATMs, things that are options for them. And often the complainer will avail of those services themselves. Just feckin' wait, and stop complaining!

You are not aware of it prior to queuing, that's why it's arbitrary. Dunnes is the worst. They are off their seats for every little thing. Anyway is it complaining or is it observation???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Security at Airports!!! Agh people annoy me so much!!! Wait til your at the top of the queue to get get your stuff sorted... Sure the last 20 minutes were meant for looking around aimlessly

Most airlines call by row, zone or group number these days but no, I'm going to line up at the front anyway! Do de do do doooooo. Tossers!!!!

You are not aware of it prior to queuing, that's why it's arbitrary.

What do you mean? What are you not aware of? :confused: You know you have to queue.

doolox wrote: »
    ....where there is someone who asks a 100 questions and then wants fags, scratch cards, lotto tickets or some other time consuming item and there is no other assistant to take your payment and get you moving. I hate delays.

I LOVE Aldi or Lidl as no nonsense is tolerated in the checkout. You get your stuff scanned in double quick time and out the door fast.

I love the petrol stations where you can pay directly at the pumps and get going fast. There is one at Ballymount and its great.

Oh people try to slow down the checkout operators, bagging a trolley as they go! No! That's what the counter over there is for love! You've being queuing the last few minutes why not have your money ready???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

Standing at a queue and you're the next in line, another cashier opens a till and says "next please", then the person standing behind you sprints to that till as if his life depended on it.

What do you mean? What are you not aware of? :confused: You know you have to queue.

That the operatior could get up and wander off her till before it gets to you. The queuing times are arbitrary that's what we're discussing

Ruu wrote: »
    Most airlines call by row, zone or group number these days but no, I'm going to line up at the front anyway! Do de do do doooooo. Tossers!!!!

Can I get an amen! My only issue is I'd like to put my bag in the overhead locker after that, l don't care

That the operatior could get up and wander off her till before it gets to you. The queuing times are arbitrary that's what we're discussing

You mean close the till? Well, that shouldn't happen, they shouldn't let someone join a queue if they know they are not going to serve them. If it's just the cashier going off to check something or get an item for a customer, well yeah, you can't predict that, that could happen anywhere and no queuing system is immune. It's not arbitrary.

• Advertisement

Standing at a queue and you're the next in line, another cashier opens a till and says "next please", then the person standing behind you sprints to that till as if his life depended on it.

The single queue with calls to tills makes this fairer, better for small number of items

The queuing time is arbitrary!!! It's more likely to happen in Dunnes than lidl or aldi

I've had it happen in Aldi, Lidl, Tesco, Dunnes, all the supermarkets.

You can't predict how long you'll be in a queue anywhere. You can get an estimate but things and people being unpredictable, these estimates can be way off.

I suppose a number system could help things, but that still doesn't mean there won't be delays, for various reasons.

I've been a cashier in a past life, and maaaan, are people impatient feckers.

You can't predict how long you'll be in a queue anywhere. You can get an estimate but things and people being unpredictable, these estimates can be way off.

In my experience there are more likely to be delays queuing at Dunnes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭starling

Lol, just went to lidl there today and had a basket of stuff, so I put the stuff on the belt and held onto the basket, and when I got to the till I started putting it back in the basket as it was scanned.

Eventually yer man looked at me and said "You know you're not allowed to take basket outside"

I said "Yeah but I thought you were supposed to throw your stuff back in there and then take it over there (to the counter) and pack your bags, so you don't hold up the queue? :confused:

And he said "Oh yeah you are, but nobody actually does it, IME the chances are someone who's putting their shopping back in the basket is going to go off with the basket...."

Anyway, as for how I actually queue, the answer is usually 'on my knees.' I find it very painful to stand in one spot so if a queue is slow or I'm tired or having a bad day I'll just end up sort of squatting or just flat-out kneeling. I have had to learn not to be embarrassed about it. Like the guy said in My Fair Lady: "Principles? Can't afford 'em, guv'nor." Only, I mean pride, you know, obviously I still have principles.

I really really wish lidl and Aldi would consider express tills. Not self-service, just a "10 items or fewer." Even one per store.

I suppose a number system could help things, but that still doesn't mean there won't be delays, for various reasons.

I've been a cashier in a past life, and maaaan, are people impatient feckers.

That's cos supermarket shopping doesn't rank high in people's lives are their time is scarce.

I worked in Dunnes too, I'm aware of the many delays that occur in their system.

In my experience there are more likely to be delays queuing at Dunnes

I haven't shopped enough there to notice really, so I'll take your word on that.

That's cos supermarket shopping doesn't rank high in people's lives are their time is scarce.

I know nobody likes queuing but suck it up. It's a thing you have to do. Lidl and Aldi help make it a bit less painful but sometimes I'm not keen on the "groceries being flung at me" approach either. And as you have to pack after the till in Lidl and Aldi as opposed to during in places like Tesco, not that much time is even saved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

My biggest pet peeve about queues is that so many people don't seem to think personal space applies here too. If you're close enough that if I turn around (in the same spot) and I hit off you, you're too fcuking close.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Notavirus.exe

I hate queues. The more people waiting at tills, the more witnesses for what I'm about to do

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭starling

Gongoozler wrote: »
    My biggest pet peeve about queues is that so many people don't seem to think personal space applies here too. If you're close enough that if I turn around (in the same spot) and I hit off you, you're too fcuking close.

Omfg That is one of my most hated things of all time, really really pisses me off. Luckily now that I'm a bit older I have no problem just turning around and saying "Excuse me, please step back."

And whoever said the single queue system is best, I totally agree, as long as it's appropriate for the shop (like obviously it wouldn't work in tesco to have one massive queue lol. The only thing is sometimes someone comes along and doesn't cop it's a single queue so they decide to form their own special queue. Hate that. Hate having to say "Scuse me, this is the queue" in case they are embarrassed, because usually it seems to be a genuine misunderstanding rather than actual dickishness.

Advertisement