Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do you queue?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,428 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

efb wrote: »
    Yes. Save the government money. And the post offices won't be robbed as much.

Any account that accepts EFT. I know some credit unions do. And old people get free banking.

Great idea. Kill rural villages and towns even more.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,055 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

What's more annoying are the small loading trays at the self service machines in tesco. If you've any big items its hard to fit them in. I like to get a big ass box of wheatabix that does me for the month. I can just about squeeze that in but trying to get my big ass tub of mayonnaise in there as well is a pain in the arse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Great idea. Kill rural villages and towns even more.

How would that kill rural towns and villagers, copy the UK model, they have a shop/post office service available.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

I'm the queue hero, I call out the skippers and deal with their bull**** excuses and false indignation.

Not much benefit for me when I end up with Knackers staring me down for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭starling

50 is fine, (unless counting out in 1 & 2 cents individually being dished out of a purse that was buried in a massive handbag.

If I was dictator there would be no cash! Plastic or EFT only!

I'd love it if I never had to carry cash (just like Lizzie lol) but I have to admit that I tend to spend more and think less when I'm using the plastic. I mean it sounds stupid but it's just different having actual "real" money in your hand :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭mikeymouse

starling wrote: »
    I'd love it if I never had to carry cash (just like Lizzie lol) but I have to admit that I tend to spend more and think less when I'm using the plastic. I mean it sounds stupid but it's just different having actual "real" money in your hand :rolleyes:

Some people don't know their bank balance, I think its a case of not facing up to reality. I check my balance regularly.

I carry feck all cash. I use my cards, atm, credit, leap.

How would that kill rural towns and villagers, copy the UK model, they have a shop/post office service available.

Not every bothareen needs a post office.

I live in a rural town and I see/know pensioners collecting there pension on Friday going to the post office and then to the shop it is an important part of there routine and keeping them active.
    If they got their pension paid into the bank.(who never want you in the door) just give them a credit card and let them shop online.
    Pension day also benefits local hairdrssers/cafe/newsagents/etc.

I live in a rural town and I see/know pensioners collecting there pension on Friday going to the post office and then to the shop it is an important part of there routine and keeping them active.
    If they got their pension paid into the bank.(who never want you in the door) just give them a credit card and let them shop online.

you can't get your hair cut online, or tea, you could charge their card with their Pension like a prepaid card each Fri in the PO if you like. (like a leapcard)

That's very true, but OTOH when I ran out of illness benefit and had to go on to disability there was a gap because they don't just switch you over you have to reapply and all that sh1te...so in the meantime I got supplementary welfare allowance ie weekly cash from the post office instead of straight into the bank, it was a massive pain in the hole. For one thing some weeks I literally wasn't physically up to going to the post office (that's not even counting the times when it was snowing or whatever) and then there was the oul wan in my local post office who was incredibly rude to me even though she's just after fawning all over the "real" customer before me. I'd just made up my mind to write a complaint about her (something I'd generally be reluctant to do) when she retired, thank fúck. Talk about cashiers in supermarkets, this one was like something out of Little Britain...I need to believe she was an aberration and not representative of An Post generally, otherwise it's just too depressing.

• Advertisement

you can't get your hair cut online, or tea, you could charge their card with their Pension like a prepaid card each Fri in the PO if you like. (like a leapcard)

We're not going to agree about this. I just see how pension day benefits the local economy.
    Going from the post office to the hairdressers to the shop to the cafe is all part of it. I know people who own local businesses and they all say pensioners who get paid their pension at the post office are more sociable/spend locally than people who get paid directly into the bank.

That's very true, but OTOH when I ran out of illness benefit and had to go on to disability there was a gap because they don't just switch you over you have to reapply and all that sh1te...so in the meantime I got supplementary welfare allowance ie weekly cash from the post office instead of straight into the bank, it was a massive pain in the hole. For one thing some weeks I literally wasn't physically up to going to the post office (that's not even counting the times when it was snowing or whatever) and then there was the oul wan in my local post office who was incredibly rude to me even though she's just after fawning all over the "real" customer before me. I'd just made up my mind to write a complaint about her (something I'd generally be reluctant to do) when she retired, thank fúck. Talk about cashiers in supermarkets, this one was like something out of Little Britain...I need to believe she was an aberration and not representative of An Post generally, otherwise it's just too depressing.

Pensioners have the choice though to get paid directly in the bank or collect their pension at the post office. I think people should have the option.

We're not going to agree about this. I just see how pension day benefits the local economy.
    Going from the post office to the hairdressers to the shop to the cafe is all part of it. I know people who own local businesses and they all say pensioners who get paid their pension at the post office are more sociable/spend locally than people who get paid directly into the bank.

That option was keeping Pensions day local, just eliminating cash.

That option was keeping Pensions day local, just eliminating cash.

So, you want cash abolished?

Some people don't know their bank balance, I think its a case of not facing up to reality. I check my balance regularly.

I carry feck all cash. I use my cards, atm, credit, leap.

Yeah no I know my bank balance (it's usually €0 on Tuesday and €187 on Wednesday lol) but sometimes if I'm out for the day and I've been to a few different places, all of a sudden I'll get a bit anxious like "****, how much have I actually spent again?" Like maybe I'll go to Lidl for some food and pick up a bargain off the middle aisle (you never know when a saddle or an angle grinder will come in handy) and maybe I'll be into penny's for some cheap nail polish and I'll see some really nice sandals or whatever, and the next thing I know I'm in Starbucks getting my treat for the week and I'm convinced I've spent every penny I have - even though I haven't, it's just perception.

I mean I don't know maybe some people are better at keeping a running total in their heads of how much they've spent in a day without having to give it too much thought (and tbf I also take a lot of drugs) but for me it just seems easier if you've got the actual physical money in your hand rather than the distance of debit cards. I think it might just be one of those psychological things, like how you know damn well that €4.99 is only 1c away from €5 and yet no matter how well you know that, €4.99 just sounds much cheaper....you know?

Or maybe it's just me :rolleyes:

mikeymouse wrote: »

Ah brilliant love him, and he's spot on about the late night at the petrol station lol.

Yeah no I know my bank balance (it's usually €0 on Tuesday and €187 on Wednesday lol) but sometimes if I'm out for the day and I've been to a few different places, all of a sudden I'll get a bit anxious like "****, how much have I actually spent again?" Like maybe I'll go to Lidl for some food and pick up a bargain off the middle aisle (you never know when a saddle or an angle grinder will come in handy) and maybe I'll be into penny's for some cheap nail polish and I'll see some really nice sandals or whatever, and the next thing I know I'm in Starbucks getting my treat for the week and I'm convinced I've spent every penny I have - even though I haven't, it's just perception.

I mean I don't know maybe some people are better at keeping a running total in their heads of how much they've spent in a day without having to give it too much thought (and tbf I also take a lot of drugs) but for me it just seems easier if you've got the actual physical money in your hand rather than the distance of debit cards. I think it might just be one of those psychological things, like how you know damn well that €4.99 is only 1c away from €5 and yet no matter how well you know that, €4.99 just sounds much cheaper....you know?

Or maybe it's just me :rolleyes:

My father became a pensioner this year and is fairly good and managing his money but he can't mange cards. He needs the money in his hand like many people his age and younger.
    Just from people I know I think it would be really unfair on people to make everybody go cash less to save people a few minutes in the shop.

So, you want cash abolished?

wasn't that my point???

My father became a pensioner this year and is fairly good and managing his money but he can't mange cards. He needs the money in his hand like many people his age and younger.
    Just from people I know I think it would be really unfair on people to make everybody go cash less to save people a few minutes in the shop.

Yeah, I don't think it's necessarily an indication of not being intelligent or compos mentis or anything - I think it might just be one of those ways in which different people use their brains in different ways. Like how some people are brilliant at the cryptic crossword or sudoku and other people just can't get their heads around it. At least that's what I like to think :D

Maybe I'm wrong and it's a skill that can be practiced and improved. I dunno Ted.

It would do more than just save a few minutes in the shop. I know lots of pensioners that use only cards, so it isn't agest thing.

• Advertisement

It would do more than just save a few minutes in the shop. I know lots of pensioners that use only cards, so it isn't agest thing.

I'm trying to think of examples of businesses or transactions where you really need it to be cash and not credit or money transfers or whatever, but all the examples I have come up with are illegal (hence the need for untraceable payments) :pac:

Edit: that's probably really obvious. I'm pretty sure I'm too tired and stoned to be posting, I think it's time I get some sleep lol

Ask owners of business small villages/town about the idea of abolishing cash. It would completely destroy rural Ireland in my opinion.
    I know people of all ages who hate card payment methods.
    I know they are other benefits to abolishing cash as well.

I'm trying to think of examples of businesses or transactions where you really need it to be cash and not credit or money transfers or whatever, but all the examples I have come up with are illegal (hence the need for untraceable payments) :pac:

See we'd save €€€'s in tax evasion

Ask owners of business small villages/town about the idea of abolishing cash. It would completely destroy rural Ireland in my opinion.
    I know people of all ages who hate card payment methods.
    I know they are other benefits to abolishing cash as well.

Hate card payments??, thats a bit irrational. Surely people just need training help.

Why would it destroy rural Ireland? I live in rural Ireland don't think non cash payments would destroy it.

Hate card payments??, thats a bit irrational. Surely people just need training help.

Why would it destroy rural Ireland? I live in rural Ireland don't think non cash payments would destroy it.

My aunt is 60 very intelligent owned shops/manged a gym/worked in a bank/insurance. She's a disaster with cards. The bank tried everything with her. Eventually the bank basically took all her cards off her and told her to come into them.
    Other people have fears about their payments being tracked and scammed.
    Because when pensioners collect their pension(example)they are in town and they spend it in the local economy. If they get paid directly into the bank. They might not bother with the local shop/cafe and head straight to the supermarket.

My aunt is 60 very intelligent owned shops/manged a gym/worked in a bank/insurance. She's a disaster with cards. The bank tried everything with her. Eventually the bank basically took all her cards off her and told her to come into them.
    Other people have fears about their payments being tracked and scammed.
    Because when pensioners collect their pension(example)they are in town and they spend it in the local economy. If they get paid directly into the bank. They might not bother with the local shop/cafe and head straight to the supermarket.

So anecdotal evidence then.

People have fears about their cash being stolen, this is more likely to happen. If they value is loaded in the PO they can spend it like they would their cash

So anecdotal evidence then.

I used have the same view as you. I was all for getting everything paid into the bank and going cashless.
    Until I talked to people I know who owned local business/post offices about the effect of payments being made directly into the bank and the effect it had on there business.

Your father can't mange cards, your aunt can't manage cards... I'm seeing a pattern...

Do you work for An Post or Securicor???

• Advertisement

I used have the same view as you. I was all for getting everything paid into the bank and going cashless.
    Until I talked to people I know who owned local business/post offices about the effect of payments being made directly into the bank and the effect it had on there business.

So cash is the only incentive they had for people to use their business??? Wow

Advertisement