Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do you queue?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Tarzana2 wrote: »
    I know nobody likes queuing but suck it up. It's a thing you have to do. Lidl and Aldi help make it a bit less painful but sometimes I'm not keen on the "groceries being flung at me" approach either. And as you have to pack after the till in Lidl and Aldi as opposed to during in places like Tesco, not that much time is even saved.

Thanks for your advice... You can shop in your gentle queuing and I'll shop in my fast service shops

• Registered Users Posts: 30,334 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I actually don't hate queuing. Even when people are slow with their card/counting out change change I don't mind.
    The only thing I hate is people pushing/skipping in queues.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭starling

You mean close the till? Well, that shouldn't happen, they shouldn't let someone join a queue if they know they are not going to serve them. If it's just the cashier going off to check something or get an item for a customer, well yeah, you can't predict that, that could happen anywhere and no queuing system is immune. It's not arbitrary.

Strictly speaking they should not be getting up and wandering off at all, there should be another member of staff available to go and check prices or whatever, and a manager if there's any chance of them being needed for refunds etc. that's what those fúcking bells are for on the tills. But then again that means that the shop either has to employ more people or prioritise the checkouts over whatever other crap managers are supposed to be doing, so of course it rarely happens. Like many things in supermarkets/shops it's all down to the company and how much they know and/or care about proper customer service.

(That's not to say some supermarket staff aren't just gob****es, but honestly the majority aren't to blame, it's just that things are done in a certain way in each company and they have to go along with that).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

efb wrote: »
    Thanks for your advice... You can shop in your gentle queuing and I'll shop in my fast service shops

:pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,722 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

Queueing in lidl/aldi usually entails joining the back of a long queue. 5minutes later I'm half way to the check out. Another checkout opens and the person who has just joined the back of my queue walks over to the newly opened one and gets served straight away.

Pees me right off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

Putting your items on the conveyor in Lidl and the ass behind you starts putting their stuff on when you haven't finished yourself... and are now stuck for space.

This one woman in Lidl thought it was ok to pay in coppers... I could have smashed her head off the till- I love the contactless payment!!! Beep- done!

This contact less payment is the ****in business, I can't wait til it's the norm. Or paying with your phone even. Think it might take a while though if what I witnessed in Lidl a couple of months ago is any indication:

I was the last customer (was spaced out on meds, didn't notice they were closing lol) and the doors were shut, all the other customers gone, there was just me, the security guy, the cashier on the till and the manager who was on duty at the time (I apologised for keeping them all). The manager was buying a few bits herself as I was shoving my card back into my wallet and the last of my stuff into a bag. When she handed over her debit card to pay, the cashier looked at it and said "Oh look, you've got one of the new wi-fi cards, you'll be able to use contactless payment," (obviously she didn't mean at Lidl, but at places where they have the newer card readers)

The manager looked at her blankly and said "What? Wi-fi cards? That's a laptop thing"
    The cashier said "Yeah, see the little symbol there, that is the symbol for wi-fi."
    And the manager said - very confidently, and kind of patronisingly: "No, wi-fi is for laptops."

I've seen this manager do some seriously stupid stuff, and Jesus that cashier has the patience of a saint.

starling wrote: »
    This contact less payment is the ****in business, I can't wait til it's the norm. Or paying with your phone even. Think it might take a while though if what I witnessed in Lidl a couple of months ago is any indication:

I was the last customer (was spaced out on meds, didn't notice they were closing lol) and the doors were shut, all the other customers gone, there was just me, the security guy, the cashier on the till and the manager who was on duty at the time (I apologised for keeping them all). The manager was buying a few bits herself as I was shoving my card back into my wallet and the last of my stuff into a bag. When she handed over her debit card to pay, the cashier looked at it and said "Oh look, you've got one of the new wi-fi cards, you'll be able to use contactless payment," (obviously she didn't mean at Lidl, but at places where they have the newer card readers)

The manager looked at her blankly and said "What? Wi-fi cards? That's a laptop thing"
    The cashier said "Yeah, see the little symbol there, that is the symbol for wi-fi."
    And the manager said - very confidently, and kind of patronisingly: "No, wi-fi is for laptops."

I've seen this manager do some seriously stupid stuff, and Jesus that cashier has the patience of a saint.

Lidl has it! I love it! Dunnes has it too but the checkout operators seem to insist you shove your card in their slot and push their buttons! Less than €15, scan gurl!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Whitewinged

kneemos wrote: »
    It's a good opportunity to study other people's shopping and make wild generalisations on their lifestyles.

I think it was "The Fast Show", Caroline Aherne had a skit where she was the checkout girl and would pass remarks on all the items that passed through!

Lidl has it! I love it! Dunnes has it too but the checkout operators seem to insist you shove your card in their slot and push their buttons! Less than €15, scam gurl!

Omg what? My local Lidl doesn't have it and neither do either of the two slightly-further-away-but-still-kinda-local Lidls...damn, hope they get it soon! Is there a limit on how much your total can be? (Like, my local Centra wants your pin for anything over €10)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,334 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Omg what? My local Lidl doesn't have it and neither do either of the two slightly-further-away-but-still-kinda-local Lidls...damn, hope they get it soon! Is there a limit on how much your total can be? (Like, my local Centra wants your pin for anything over €10)

I thought all Lidl/Aldi have it. If you putting your card in tough they don't bother correcting you. There isn't a minimum spend.
    I think the reason staff often just tell people to put in their card is because
    I've seen it fail for lots of people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Queueing in portugal is a lesson for any foreigners, There's not a bother on the till person to be talking away in Portuguese to there friends neighbours etc etc with no rush whatsoever leaving all us busybodies all fuming and then to make matters worse they greet you with a bom dia or Ola and a nice smile,it takes a while to get used to I tell ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Coopaloop

The queue to get on a bus (or lack of) does my nut.
    And then f*cking douches who don't know where the bus is going and have to stop and ask the driver,and the other douches who don't have their money/card ready and hold everyone else up. Oh and not queue related but on the subject of buses,people walking down the bus and hitting you with their bags.

Minimum spend in lidl? no. Maximum €15

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

When I queue I always face the queue. ....

Coopaloop wrote: »
    The queue to get on a bus (or lack of) does my nut.
    And then f*cking douches who don't know where the bus is going and have to stop and ask the driver,and the other douches who don't have their money/card ready and hold everyone else up. Oh and not queue related but on the subject of buses,people walking down the bus and hitting you with their bags.

Yeah that sh1t drives me crazy too, it's like some people don't believe in queuing for buses and just act like it's every man for himself when the doors open. I can't help but automatically track who was at the stop before I was and who arrived after me. But then again I've no problem asking them to get up out of the disabled seat and let me sit there :pac:

I have to confess I sometimes am that fúcker who has to ask the driver "how much to go to x" because I rarely take buses and haven't got my free travel card yet. Lately I've been doing it deliberately just to see what they say - it's the same bus, the same route, same stop every time, but I swear to god I get a different answer from every fúckin driver :confused: can't wait to get my card sorted and not have to be dealing with it

Out of interest, what do yis think of people "holding places" in queues for their mates? Not so much in shops, I mean when queueing to get in to a concert or whatever?

Out of interest, what do yis think of people "holding places" in queues for their mates? Not so much in shops, I mean when queueing to get in to a concert or whatever?

I throw shade

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭shampoosuicide

How is it arbitrary? And if a cashier needs to check something, they need to. People are big babies when it comes to queues. :P

Hate the impatience at ATM queues. OK, some people really dilly dally, but I've heard people complain about people doing various things at ATMs, things that are options for them. And often the complainer will avail of those services themselves. Just feckin' wait, and stop complaining!

**** that, it's annoying. i've almost missed buses before out of being stuck behind some bell at the ATM.

**** that, it's annoying. i've almost missed buses before out of being stuck behind some bell at the ATM.

Then give yourself more time to catch said bus and do all the things you've do beforehand also. It's not anyone else's problem that you didn't. And yeah, sometimes things happen so that the time you allot isn't enough. Still has nothing to do with the person ahead of you in a queue.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

What's that long line of people over there?

A queue

Gesundheit

I'll get my coat

I always apologise to the person behind me if I think I've taken longer at the atm than I should have, but to be totally honest, it's not really my fault if you're rushing for the bus is it? ;)

Then give yourself more time to catch said bus and do all the things you've do beforehand also. It's not anyone else's problem that you didn't. And yeah, sometimes things happen so that the time you allot isn't enough. Still has nothing to do with the person ahead of you in a queue.

You have to be aware of others, its like people who go to the water cooler to fill a 2 litre bottle with people behind them. How many things can a person do at an atm? Check their balance, order a chequebook, take out cash.

Yes take out cash is the FINAL thing you do. it dispenses your card before the cash. Im aware of some who require extra time, they I wouldn't have any problems with.

You have to be aware of others, its like people who go to the water cooler to fill a 2 litre bottle with people behind them. How many things can a person do at an atm? Check their balance, order a chequebook, take out cash.

Yes take out cash is the FINAL thing you do. it dispenses your card before the cash. Im aware of some who require extra time, they I wouldn't have any problems with.

How would someone who is at an ATM know if the person behind them had a bus to catch?

And, as said earlier, people who bitch about people taking aaaggges, have probably spent as long doing the same things themselves on many on occasion.

I've seen people get impatient at ATMs when the person using it didn't take even take very long. And of course sometimes the ATM is just slow which is not the person's fault.

And if you are really in a hurry, you can always ask the person in front of you if can go ahead of them. I've obliged people like this before. Only if they're polite about it though.

But don't stand there sighing and huffing just because you left yourself short of time. Queues bring out the big baby in so many people.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

Queues happen and in themselves don't really bother me. However what really does get me is a sizeable number or women (not being sexist simply reality here) who wait until the till attendant says the price of their purchases before coming up with that look.

You know the "What. £45.40. I'm expected to pay for these goods I've just purchased? Right here, right now? Well hold on just let me now fiddle about with my handbag straps. Next thing you know contents of said handbag are laid out on counter. Umbrella, make up, tampons, banana etc.... Then wait another while whilst I search through my ridiculously oversized purse for my cash.

It's completely ridiculous and uncalled for. Why girls have to carry their life's work in a handbag is beyond me. I refuse now to get anything from my girlfriends handbag if she asks me after spending about 3 hours in the past looking for her glasses and finding everything but. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭shampoosuicide

Gongoozler wrote: »
    My biggest pet peeve about queues is that so many people don't seem to think personal space applies here too. If you're close enough that if I turn around (in the same spot) and I hit off you, you're too fcuking close.

had some guy literally push his trolley into the back of my leg in Dunnes before. still pissed off with myself for not shoving it back into him.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Standing at a queue and you're the next in line, another cashier opens a till and says "next please", then the person standing behind you sprints to that till as if his life depended on it.

A Stone Cold Stunner usually sorts them out though...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Outside the personal space of whoever is front of me.

Also if you're the f*cker who comes up to tell the person there's a till available when they know it's out of order, stop that sh*t.

• Advertisement

How would someone who is at an ATM know if the person behind them had a bus to catch?

And, as said earlier, people who bitch about people taking aaaggges, have probably spent as long doing the same things themselves on many on occasion.

I've seen people get impatient at ATMs when the person using it didn't take even take very long. And of course sometimes the ATM is just slow which is not the person's fault.

And if you are really in a hurry, you can always ask the person in front of you if can go ahead of them. I've obliged people like this before. Only if they're polite about it though.

But don't stand there sighing and huffing just because you left yourself short of time. Queues bring out the big baby in so many people.

I didn't mention anything about catching a bus. I don't do things that involve queuing if I'm in a hurry.

Advertisement