Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do you queue?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭strelok

timthumbni wrote: »
    Queues happen and in themselves don't really bother me. However what really does get me is a sizeable number or women (not being sexist simply reality here) who wait until the till attendant says the price of their purchases before coming up with that look.

You know the "What. £45.40. I'm expected to pay for these goods I've just purchased? Right here, right now? Well hold on just let me now fiddle about with my handbag straps. Next thing you know contents of said handbag are laid out on counter. Umbrella, make up, tampons, banana etc.... Then wait another while whilst I search through my ridiculously oversized purse for my cash.

It's completely ridiculous and uncalled for. Why girls have to carry their life's work in a handbag is beyond me. I refuse now to get anything from my girlfriends handbag if she asks me after spending about 3 hours in the past looking for her glasses and finding everything but. :-)

i dont understand why they can't just earmark one tiny little pocket on the giant ****ing handbags for this purpose. get handed change, dump in pocket. take shopping and walk away from the till. then open tiny little pocket and spend 2 minutes sorting all your bits of change into the thousand different places it apparently needs to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭starling

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Outside the personal space of whoever is front of me.

Also if you're the f*cker who comes up to tell the person there's a till available when they know it's out of order, stop that sh*t.

Omg People do that on purpose?! That's fookin evil

strelok wrote: »
    i dont understand why they can't just earmark one tiny little pocket on the giant ****ing handbags for this purpose. get handed change, dump in pocket. take shopping and walk away from the till. then open tiny little pocket and spend 2 minutes sorting all your bits of change into the thousand different places it apparently needs to go.

I hate carrying handbags, but if I have to, I'll always use a handbag organiser. But then I am a sewing nerd and am constantly sewing extra pockets into bags to avoid this fishing-around-for-things bollx

starling wrote: »
    I hate carrying handbags, but if I have to, I'll always use a handbag organiser. But then I am a sewing nerd and am constantly sewing extra pockets into bags to avoid this fishing-around-for-things bollx

when the revolution comes, you will be spared

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

efb wrote: »
    I didn't mention anything about catching a bus. I don't do things that involve queuing if I'm in a hurry.

You replied to a post I made about not leaving lots of things to do before catching a bus.

Anyway, what is your point then? Someone does things at an ATM which probably won't actually take that long (and are NOT comparable to someone filling a 2L bottle at a cooler) and you don't like it? Well, once again, live with it. It might be a slow ATM (lots of these around), the person might be vision impaired, or yeah, maybe they might just need to do one or two extra things at the ATM, like you yourself have probably needed to do at some stage. OMG, you have to wait 30 seconds extra? A minute extra? THE HUMANITY!

Let's not pretend this is anything other than you being impatient and thinking your time is more important than everyone else's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

strelok wrote: »

It's common knowledge that The Doctor Who tardis was based on my girlfriend's freaking handbag. If she took a dalek out of it sometime I would not be surprised.

I always have money/card in hand at till. Quick, efficient, no fuss. If only some girls had the same idea. Rarely have the same issue with fellas. Mostly women, of all ages, including my own girlfriend. Madness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

I fill two baskets both with same items, then skip the queue and leave one of the baskets beside the cashier with the exact amount of money and a note that says: "Scan these will ya. I'm a bit busy!" and then walk out. Have I stolen anything? I thought so.

Nah, I usually just spend the time contemplating life's woes.
    Looking down girls tops. Stuff like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Tarzana2 wrote: »
    You replied to a post I made about not leaving lots of things to do before catching a bus.

Anyway, what is your point then? Someone does things at an ATM which probably won't actually take that long (and are NOT comparable to someone filling a 2L bottle at a cooler) and you don't like it? Well, once again, live with it. It might be a slow ATM (lots of these around), the person might be vision impaired, or yeah, maybe they might just need to do one or two extra things at the ATM, like you yourself have probably needed to do at some stage. OMG, you have to wait 30 seconds extra? A minute extra? THE HUMANITY!

Let's not pretend this is anything other than you being impatient and thinking your time is more important than everyone else's.

No it's time wasters and dawdlers I have the issue with. You seem to think you know my number or something which is very lovable , unless you were one of the slow cashiers I called out earlier and I riled you.

No it's time wasters and dawdlers I have the issue with.

Called out? Lollers. You go, girlfrien'. *snaps fingers* :pac:

They don't seem to be dawdlers at all. In my experience, people who are impatient in queues consider everyone ahead of them to be dawdlers. And act like dawdlers themselves on occasion. But that's them and not other people, so that's fine of course.

It's like people complaining about slow walkers on footpaths. What, you've never, ever walked slowly yourself in your lifetime? Yeah right.

I know nobody likes queuing but suck it up. It's a thing you have to do. Lidl and Aldi help make it a bit less painful but sometimes I'm not keen on the "groceries being flung at me" approach either. And as you have to pack after the till in Lidl and Aldi as opposed to during in places like Tesco, not that much time is even saved.

Suck it up! After hours is where I come to let it out! I don't go mental in the annoying queues

• Advertisement

Who don't seem to be this at all. In my experience, people who are impatient in queues consider everyone ahead of them to be dawdlers. And act like dawdlers themselves on occasion. But that's them and not other people, so that's fine of course.

It's like people complaining about slow walkers on footpaths. What, you've never, ever walked slowly yourself in your lifetime? Yeah right.

Yeah but you have an awareness of others who need to pass. I used have to rush for a train I'd speed walk the hell out of it, now I don't I have to I just let the people in a rush go by

They don't seem to be dawdlers at all. In my experience, people who are impatient in queues consider everyone ahead of them to be dawdlers. And act like dawdlers themselves on occasion. But that's them and not other people, so that's fine of course.

Oh no she didn't!

This one woman in Lidl thought it was ok to pay in coppers... I could have smashed her head off the till

Stupid bitch.

Sure Coppers don't even take Clubcard. I've asked.

Stupid bitch.

Sure Coppers don't even take the Clubcard, I've asked.

Coppers probably take Super valu stamps or a bag of potatoes

Would you consider the woman fishing for coppers in her purse to pay when she had €5 note in her hand acceptable? She handed over at least 30, even the checkout girl wasn't amused

What am I saying! Coppers discount Card is Garda ID or an INMO card!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,428 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Would you consider the woman fishing for coppers in her purse to pay when she had €5 note in her hand acceptable? She handed over at least 30, even the checkout girl wasn't amused

Most people I know who work in shops are delighted to get change more so than a five euro note because it's a pain if they run out of change.

Isolated incident, surely? How often has something like that actually happened to you? Yes, occasionally people take the piss but generally the fault is on the side of the impatient knob in the queue.

Nah that's a bit much, what I always do is, save up all the sh1te and take it to somewhere that has those change machines. You know the ones where you dump in all your change and you can choose to either have a voucher to spend in the shop that's the exact amount you have put in, or else you can take cash less 10% or whatever. Tesco has them and so does my local centra. But maybe people don't know about them?

• Advertisement

Most people I know who work in shops are delighted to get change more so than a five euro note because it's a pain if they run out of change.

pay for something worth over €2 in 5,2 and 1 cent coins? I think their tills are timed so I doubt they appreciate it, and:

The following is an extract from the Economic and Monetary Union Act, 1998:

“10(1) No person, other than the Central Bank of Ireland and such persons as may be designated by the Minister by order, shall be obliged to accept more than 50 coins denominated in euro or in cent in any single transaction.”

`its not as if she had it bagged either!!!! She went on the list!

Isolated incident, surely? How often has something like that actually happened to you? Yes, occasionally people take the piss but generally the fault is on the side of the impatient knob in the queue.

My knob does get impatient some times, but never has it happened queuing in a supermarket or at an atm....

Don't call me Shirley! :-P

pay for something worth over €2 in 5,2 and 1 cent coins? I think their tills are timed so I doubt they appreciate it, and:

The following is an extract from the Economic and Monetary Union Act, 1998:

“10(1) No person, other than the Central Bank of Ireland and such persons as may be designated by the Minister by order, shall be obliged to accept more than 50 coins denominated in euro or in cent in any single transaction.”

`its not as if she had it bagged either!!!! She went on the list!

What I was referring to was somebody paying about 50 cent in change. Not a lot of money.
    If you every worked in a shop. It's very annoying when somebody gives you a €5 and they have the correct change in their hand because it's very annoying running out of change and your giving the change you do have to somebody who has loads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭lulu1

Standing at a queue and you're the next in line, another cashier opens a till and says "next please", then the person standing behind you sprints to that till as if his life depended on it.

Sorry but I was in a mad rush that day

What I was referring to was somebody paying about 50 cent in change. Not a lot of money.
    If you every worked in a shop. It's very annoying when somebody gives you a €5 and they have the correct change in their hand because it's very annoying running out of change.

50 is fine, (unless counting out in 1 & 2 cents individually being dished out of a purse that was buried in a massive handbag.

If I was dictator there would be no cash! Plastic or EFT only!

lulu1 wrote: »
    Sorry but I was in a mad rush that day

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeellll! You made him want to shout!!! :D

There's more tension in the self service queue in Tesco on Parnell St than I'd say there is in the canteen in the Joy.
    Last night a 10c coin I was using kept being rejected by the machine. Eventually the cashier had to go and fetch another one.
    Thought I was gonna get striped by people trying to buy alcohol just before the 10pm deadline kicked in.

50 is fine, (unless counting out in 1 & 2 cents individually being dished out of a purse that was buried in a massive handbag.

If I was dictator there would be no cash! Plastic or EFT only!

How would pensioners who get paid at the local post office shop then?
    Get all payments paid in bank accounts and close local post offices.

There's more tension in the self service queue in Tesco on Parnell St than I'd say there is in the canteen in the Joy.
    Last night a 10c coin I was using kept being rejected by the machine. Eventually the cashier had to go and fetch another one.
    Thought I was gonna get stripped by people trying to by alcohol just before the 10pm deadline.

That's brave. Or foolish. Depends how bad the injuries were.

• Advertisement

How would pensioners who get paid at the local post office shop then?
    Get all payments paid in bank accounts and close local post offices.

Yes. Save the government money. And the post offices won't be robbed as much.

Any account that accepts EFT. I know some credit unions do. And old people get free banking.

Advertisement