Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV3 RWC coverage

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Just watching back again, their TV studio...

It's dark, but also luminous blue & pink.

They should have used the IrelandAM set, at least it's a bit bright, and not so gloomy

(Obviously the ads so soon before kickoff & after the final whistle are the most lucrative, with advertisers paying for an almost guaranteed 'maximum' audience, which is pretty crap, as you do miss some of the moments that make a World Cup (Japan)).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

I think taking the IRB feed for so many games is the worst part of their coverage (I can accept the need for ad breaks).

I want to hear an Irish commentator at the Ffrance/Italy game discussing it from an Irish angle, I want to hear an Irish commentary team at Samoa/USA tomorrow talk about the handful of Irish people they beered with in Brighton over the weekend, give little anecdotes about those fans' hunt for tickets for Irelands next games and how they partied with the Japanese. I want the TV3 outside broadcast unit (lol) in Cardiff to show me the fans in the hostels and caravan parks out on the lash.

When the party moves onto Leeds and Newcastle in the weekends ahead I want to feel part of it. I want TV3 to acknowledge that the concept of the competition is about much more than just clinically showing the games.

Thank you! Now I know why I feel left cold by the TV3 coverage. It's not the punditry, which I actually find really interesting. Or the commentating which is irritating but I tune it out. It's that there's no feeling of connection to what's going on. RTE, despite their MANY faults, are good at thatthat, and it's lacking in this World Cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭Glen_Quagmire

TV3 are a joke!! Their coverage of this world cup is awful. The commentary during the match is not great but bearable but the sheer volume and length of the ad breaks is a disgrace. They literally jump straight into an ad break at half time for about 6 minutes, come back for 2 mins of analysis with the pundits and back to an ad break for another 4 minutes and straight back to the start of the second half. 2 minutes of analysis at half time is not good enough TV3, the general public deserve more than that to enjoy this world cup.

I am on UPC so I am stuck with TV3, if I had the choice of watching the games on ITV I'd be gone like a shot as I am sure many thousands of others would too!!!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Cienciano wrote: »
    It's actually impressive how quickly TV3 go to ads. After the Japan game I reckon the ref was still blowing the whistle for full time and they cut to ads. Really kills the atmosphere.

This. Their procedure for going to adverts is completely unorthodox. They are cutting to the sponsorship sting straight at the half/full time whistle (with hardly any summing up as is normally done by a commentator at that point), playing one or two adverts - and then returning to the studio. They then run no more than 30-60 seconds of analysis, and then take the ad break proper. It's destroying viewers expectations of when the ad break is happening (and when, obviously, they should run to make their cup of tea/go for a pint). It's great for the advertisers, obviously, because people stick around and watch the adverts, but it is, not to use too fine a term, wrecking the head of everyone I know watching on TV3, and is one of the main reasons (along with that massive 3 HD LIVE DOG) that I am watching on ITV most of the time.

Sanjuro wrote: »
    RTE, despite their MANY faults, are good at thatthat, and it's lacking in this World Cup.

The 1 thing RTÉ do well is sport, they always do a great job at tournaments as they have all the experience of doing the soccer championships.

I'm no fan of them, but when it comes to sport, and Irish participation particularly. You never want it to be anyone else other than RTÉ

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭CardinalJ

Maybe the Rugby gambling threat could have an over/under line of how many pages this thread will be by the end of the tournament.

I'd say 132

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭QuinDixie

TV3 are a joke.
    Poor sound and picture quality, the set, the constant ads, Conor McNamara, Cooper. And those reporters, the lady and the goof, its like amateur hour. Truly dreadful.
    ITV are even worse for me, they do not even discuss games normally. Its like their experts have never played rugby.

And what is this craic with 3 people commentating in a game, ITV are it too. Its really really annoying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

QuinDixie wrote: »
    TV3 are a joke.
    Poor sound and picture quality, the set, the constant ads, Conor McNamara, Cooper. And those reporters, the lady and the goof, its like amateur hour. Truly dreadful.
    ITV are even worse for me, they do not even discuss games normally. Its like their experts have never played rugby.

And what is this craic with 3 people commentating in a game, ITV are it too. Its really really annoying.

to be fair to cooper he lets the panelists speak and doesnt keep cutting across them like McGurk does which drives me nuts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭QuinDixie

aimee1 wrote: »
    to be fair to cooper he lets the panelists speak and doesnt keep cutting across them like McGurk does which drives me nuts.

He is as bad now as he was when TV3 had the gaa.
    He has zero personality. Zero. Robotic.

McGurk can be annoying at times, mostly because of Hook.
    I did not mind Williams, Wood, Jennings yesterday. They were quiet good but Cooper gave them nothing. He is uneasy in his role and it comes across like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

The only thing RTÉ do well is sport. And in this digital age, I find that sport is the only thing I watch live on tv anymore.

At least RTÉ have the picture and the commentators. TV3 picture is just shocking, and its a disgrace that the HD isn't available on Saorview. How many viewers will they have lost because of that alone. The difference was really noticeable on Friday night. The rugby in horrible fuzzy definition, while the LOI on RTÉ 2 was Crystal clear!

I like Matt and the panelists but they don't get the time to talk about the actual game because they are going straight to ads. Like ye said, complete missed opportunity.
    Sigh. We Will struggle on.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

if it was in HD i'd forgive them....but the washed out SD picture in this day and age is a no no

surely they could have went the extra mile and pay to get their HD channel on the saorview

• Registered Users Posts: 12,604 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Was on my way out of Cardiff yesterday and missed the Japan game, can't seem to get it on 3 Player, am I blind or is it just not there?

Can I use ITV player from Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

errlloyd wrote: »
    Was on my way out of Cardiff yesterday and missed the Japan game, can't seem to get it on 3 Player, am I blind or is it just not there?

Can I use ITV player from Ireland?

Yes - if you use the Hola app

QuinDixie wrote: »

I'd say its so the commentators get as little air time as possible.

I tried ITV yesterday because TV3 was so bad, but found it to be just as bad if not worse, and the guy asked his 2 co-commentators:

"I wonder does the ball go further when they kick it when the roof is closed?"

"No" was the reply.

3/4 minutes later as Best used a towel to dry the ball (as he and all hookers do) before throwing a line out..

"I wonder does the ball get more wet when the roof is closed?"

:confused::confused::confused:

Solution: play RTE radio commentary through the iPhone app, connect to TV sound bar via bluetooth, pause TV3 (HD) on Sky to sync the 2 up and boom, perfect.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

3/4 minutes later as Best used a towel to dry the ball (as he and all hookers do) before throwing a line out..

"I wonder does the ball get more wet when the roof is closed?"

:confused::confused::confused:

Solution: play RTE radio commentary through the iPhone app, connect to TV sound bar via bluetooth, pause TV3 (HD) on Sky to sync the 2 up and boom, perfect.

The roof on the millennium stadium is pretty much a national treasure for the Welsh now, no game is complete without more analysis over whether the roof will be open or closed than the teams themselves.

In fairness though, I have heard a few players comment that the ball does get greasier with the roof closed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

and listen to Michael Corcoran?? no thanks, he's so biased its embarrassing....if he was english we'd be scorning him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

The roof on the millennium stadium is pretty much a national treasure for the Welsh now, no game is complete without more analysis over whether the roof will be open or closed than the teams themselves.

In fairness though, I have heard a few players comment that the ball does get greasier with the roof closed.

Yep, it would be very humid with the amount of people and the roof closed. Makes for a greasy ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭RoutineBites

I see TV3 have yet to put the Japan game up on their player. They seem to be giving preference to Joe McCaul rising from the ashes to partake in X Factor ten years after he vanished from public consciousness. Priorities lads.

That's my point, every man and his dog knows that the ball gets greaser in a closed Cardiff, this guy, didn't know that and he's a rugby commentator!!

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Bebo stunnah

I see TV3 have yet to put the Japan game up on their player. They seem to be giving preference to Joe McCaul rising from the ashes to partake in X Factor ten years after he vanished from public consciousness. Priorities lads.

It's already the most popular item on the ITV player, but you need an account with them to watch it. Gave up on TV3 after I couldn't watch past the first ad on their player. Glad I did now after reading everything on this thread. I watched the English game on 3player and there was 5 minutes of ads before the player would play along with dead feed when it must have gone to ads from the tv feed. At least ITV player seems to be the feed directly from what's on the tv!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

RTE have the licence fee so they don't have to show as many ads.

But TV3 should have stuck longer with the aftermath of the Japan/South Africa match.

I's say most people appreciate that TV3 does not have the benefit of a share of the TV licence fee and thus needs to show more ads etc. But there's a balance to be struck between showing adverts and alienating your viewership. At present their approach is completely OTT - it's two fingers to the viewing public. You wouldn't be surprised if the Tullow Tank was to be charging for the line in the next game and for TV3 to cut to ads... :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

The guys who are on TV3 at the moment are better than the "main" guys. Shane Jennings and a very tall guy are standing at a table talking to a guy with a kind of northern accent. They're actually analysing the Japan/SA match and have moved onto previewing the USA/Samoa match now. The presenter has much more "presence" about him than Cooper.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭The Sun King

Cut to break between anthems and the start of the match. Great stuff.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭noway12345

The guys who are on TV3 at the moment are better than the "main" guys. Shane Jennings and a very tall guy are standing at a table talking to a guy with a kind of northern accent. They're actually analysing the Japan/SA match and have moved onto previewing the USA/Samoa match now. The presenter has much more "presence" about him than Cooper.

You don't know who the very tall guy is? Are you new to rugby?

And the guy with the Northern accent does their soccer matches.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Don't remember which match it was yesterday but did anyone else hear the commentator mention "we're now in injury time" when the clock passed 80 minutes.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

noway12345 wrote: »
    You don't know who the very tall guy is? Are you new to rugby?

I thought it was Malcolm O'Kelly but I wasn't really looking at them, just listening :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,589 ✭✭✭Tristram

TV3 player cuts out again. Bye bye Rugby World Cup.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭noway12345

I thought it was Malcolm O'Kelly but I wasn't really looking at them, just listening :o

:D You're right in that Tommy Martin is a better presenter. He presents live matches all the time. I don't know why they brought Cooper in.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,465 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Does anybody know how much money they are going to be paid on each game between their two channels alone.

Is all of their ad revenue dependent on their audience figures.

There's a set price per mille (1,000 viewers) for each segment that that ad is in and how long the ad is. An amount of viewers is predicted by the seller (TV3/3e) and they agree on a price.

The price is then adjusted after the event has happened, i.e if there are more viewers than predicted, the buyer has gotten a bonus for free. If there are less viewers than predicted then the buyer will get extra advertising space on the channel for "free" which adds up to the total amount as close as possible but not under.

Hope that explains a little from my knowledge of TV advertising :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

callaway92 wrote: »
    There's a set price per mille (1,000 viewers) for each segment that that ad is in and how long the ad is. An amount of viewers is predicted by the seller (TV3/3e) and they agree on a price.

The price is then adjusted after the event has happened, i.e if there are more viewers than predicted, the buyer has gotten a bonus for free. If there are less viewers than predicted then the buyer will get extra advertising space on the channel for "free" which adds up to the total amount as close as possible but not under.

Hope that explains a little from my knowledge of TV advertising :P

Reads like TV3s revenue stream might take a big dive then in the run up to Christmas............

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement