Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV3 RWC coverage

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

efb wrote: »
    Who watches analysts? I watch the game and highlights of important events. Analysts do nothing for me

For entertainment, I always enjoy RTEs stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

ThisRegard wrote: »
    For entertainment, I always enjoy RTEs stuff.

I like Brent Pope.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

Definetly conor mcnamara has changed voice since last week. He sounds like he has to exaggerate every second word.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

The ad on ITV for the British Heart Foundation gets me everytime

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

efb wrote: »
    Who watches analysts? I watch the game and highlights of important events. Analysts do nothing for me

No highlights on tv3 so far only ads

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

BarryD wrote: »
    True and you'd be prepared for a few extra ads but they're milking it for all it's worth - you get the idea that the game is almost secondary. Bad move to alienate viewers.

RTE have the licence fee so they don't have to show as many ads.

But TV3 should have stuck longer with the aftermath of the Japan/South Africa match.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Anyone have the misfortune to look at highlights just now on 3e - among the worst picture I have ever seen in the digital age :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,347 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

If you think about it €3 million was spent by TV3 for the RWC this year. I wouldn't be surprised to think how much money they are going to claw back when this tournament is over in 6 weeks time. They deserve to get a loss on the tournament if they are losing so much viewers early on because of the ads.

Does anybody know how much money they are going to be paid on each game between their two channels alone.

Is all of their ad revenue dependent on their audience figures.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭mullyboyee

I actually can't stick all the ads. Only have saorview in the college house, but watched the French game on my phone on itv4.

I think I'll watch the rest of the games on the phone. At least they're in hd.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Henwin

why didnt RTE do their upmost to get the rights, especially when Ryle Nugent is head of sports. Wudnt it be so much better to have ronan o gara, shane horgan, brent pope, conor o shea etc than listening to those snorefests. the main annoying thing though is the match commentator and the sound. Conor macnamara i think his name is, so so poor, no real excitement or knowledge of the game. the sound is awful, its as if the are in one room and the microphones are in another room, it seems far away like.
    The sound and picture is so much better on ITV

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Money.

Henwin wrote: »
    why didnt RTE do their upmost to get the rights, especially when Ryle Nugent is head of sports. Wudnt it be so much better to have ronan o gara, shane horgan, brent pope, conor o shea etc than listening to those snorefests. the main annoying thing though is the match commentator and the sound. Conor macnamara i think his name is, so so poor, no real excitement or knowledge of the game. the sound is awful, its as if the are in one room and the microphones are in another room, it seems far away like.
    The sound and picture is so much better on ITV
    They are damned if they do and damned if they don't... they were outbid by a commercial broadcaster who had spare cash on the hip after losing the ITV soaps.. if they paid over the odds they would have to take it away from some other area... maybe losing Champions League for instance.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Henwin

Ya I would much prefer to lose the champions league to gain the rugby world cup. Its our national team and we have never been in a better position to go far in the competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,234 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

It's actually impressive how quickly TV3 go to ads. After the Japan game I reckon the ref was still blowing the whistle for full time and they cut to ads. Really kills the atmosphere.

Henwin wrote: »
    Ya I would much prefer to lose the champions league to gain the rugby world cup. Its our national team and we have never been in a better position to go far in the competition.
    RTÉ probably make an awful lot of revenue from the Champions League games... they gain big viewership and you have to remember the RWC only goes on a few weeks.

irishfeen wrote: »
    RTÉ probably make an awful lot of revenue from the Champions League games... they gain big viewership and you have to remember the RWC only goes on a few weeks.

Grand, if they want to make cash from no Irish involvement in the champions league then stop charing us for a license.

Grand, if they want to make cash from no Irish involvement in the champions league then stop charing us for a license.
    But they get massive viewership for CL games ... there is a massive demand for RTÉ to broadcast the best football tournament in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭bajer101

George Hook, Brent Pope and Tom McGurk are doing pre-match, half-time and post match analysis for the Irish games on georgehook.com.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Tv3 also have champions league!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,535 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

They are damned if they do and damned if they don't... they were outbid by a commercial broadcaster who had spare cash on the hip after losing the ITV soaps.. if they paid over the odds they would have to take it away from some other area... maybe losing Champions League for instance.

They also had big money to add from losing the GAA rights to Sky so had to invest in something.

• Advertisement

They also had big money to add from losing the GAA rights to Sky so had to invest in something.
    Yes, that too ... They had plenty of mula to outbid both RTÉ and Setanta, now they are doing it on the cheap (1 commentator) to maximise revenue return.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭delaad

" Not at all Matt!, you're rugby mastermind destined to be on TV with that face"

Bill started in sports. Soccer correspondent for the then Cork Exmainer. Reported on the Ireland-Spain play-off in Paris, in which E Dunphy lined out in the defence. Bill commented that it was almost cruel to have selected him, as he was so woefully out of his depth, or words to that effect!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,040 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

But they get massive viewership for CL games ... there is a massive demand for RTÉ to broadcast the best football tournament in the world.

There is also massive demand for them to show the best rugby tournament in the world, and maybe lay off on the fair city a couple of nights a week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭Pink Lemons

Anyone have the misfortune to look at highlights just now on 3e - among the worst picture I have ever seen in the digital age :eek:

I've had the pleasure of watching some Europa League on 3e, I had to get someone else in to check I wasn't going blind, the picture is beyond terrible :pac:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I've had the pleasure of watching some Europa League on 3e, I had to get someone else in to check I wasn't going blind, the picture is beyond terrible :pac:

Thought it was just me, but that picture was desperate quality

• Registered Users Posts: 13,325 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

I think taking the IRB feed for so many games is the worst part of their coverage (I can accept the need for ad breaks).

I want to hear an Irish commentator at the France/Italy game discussing it from an Irish angle, I want to hear an Irish commentary team at Samoa/USA tomorrow talk about the handful of Irish people they beered with in Brighton over the weekend, give little anecdotes about those fans' hunt for tickets for Irelands next games and how they partied with the Japanese. I want the TV3 outside broadcast unit (lol) in Cardiff to show me the fans in the hostels and caravan parks out on the lash.

When the party moves onto Leeds and Newcastle in the weekends ahead I want to feel part of it. I want TV3 to acknowledge that the concept of the competition is about much more than just clinically showing the games.

I think taking the IRB feed for so many games is the worst part of their coverage (I can accept the need for ad breaks).

I want to hear an Irish commentator at the France/Italy game discussing it from an Irish angle, I want to hear an Irish commentary team at Samoa/USA tomorrow talk about the handful of Irish people they beered with in Brighton over the weekend, give little anecdotes about those fans' hunt for tickets for Irelands next games and how they partied with the Japanese. I want the TV3 outside broadcast unit (lol) in Cardiff to show me the fans in the hostels and caravan parks out on the lash.

When the party moves onto Leeds and Newcastle in the weekends ahead I want to feel part of it. I want TV3 to acknowledge that the concept of the competition is about much more than just clinically showing the games.

You just won't get that with TV3, from the looks of things, they have 1 mobile reporting unit in England, and they'll be pretty much following the Irish team round.

In terms of commentary, I can happily live with the IRB feed (it sounded like the Sky Sports commentator was doing France v Italy yesterday, (I guess they do a lot of freelance work for themselves)).

The TV3 guy just doesn't sound like he's watched a lot of rugby in his life, he comments it like a soccer game, never explaining what the player is actually doing with the ball, or tactically "its Henshaw, now its with Sexton, and now Kearney, back to Henshaw, now Kearney, the kick goes far away" now Canada have the ball

I had a brief watch back through the game with TV3 commentary, and the guy called Sexton Jackson, just after Sexton scored his try(Jackson waiting fo., eh, er Sexton waiting to see if his try is good"

I'm sure the guy is a nice guy, I'm not attacking him or having a go, but he just doesn't make for a good game experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭CardinalJ

The TV3 guy just doesn't sound like he's watched a lot of rugby in his life, he comments it like a soccer game, never explaining what the player is actually doing with the ball, or tactically "its Henshaw, now its with Sexton, and now Kearney, back to Henshaw, now Kearney, the kick goes far away" now Canada have the ball

When Kearney made a nice break in the second half he said "Robert Kearney, look at him go!", and that was all he had to say about it.

Commentary doesn't ad much to a game but bad commentary takes away from it. He doesn't seem to even have the knowledge to bring in Barnes and Toland to get their input.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭crisco10

Cutting to ads so quickly after Japanese game was a huge mistake. One of THE moments and they couldn't give it 30 more seconds. There were full grown men crying, saffa fans congratulating Japanese fans. It was an amazing moment. On itv. Tv3 were on ads.

Blew their budget getting the rights, but missing the spirit of showing a major tournament.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement