Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV3 RWC coverage

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

SarahBM wrote: »
    Do RTÉ even have a highlights program?!?

No nothing

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Is there any real analysis happening? As in here's a bit of video we picked out and I've circled these guys and that kind of thing.

I doubt they even pick the clips!!

IRB feed usually shows the highlights at half & full time anyway!!

I do miss Hooky and Co's analysis. But then again there's no Ryle Nugent which is a big plus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭nehe milner skudder

normally people on the internet are hyperbolic and reactionary. none of that applies here.
    it is the worst thing to happen to the world ever.
    id rather have a bath with my grandad.

its embarrassing.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Is there any real analysis happening? As in here's a bit of video we picked out and I've circled these guys and that kind of thing.

They did a little bit of it for the Ireland and NZ games at half time, then repeated the same stuff at full time.

Nothing like what you'd be used to with RTE

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,624 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

They're showing the replay of the NZ game on 3e at the moment and sweet jesus I've never seen something in such bad quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,616 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

I was as sceptical as anyone when TV3 was announced , and only watched the NZ game , but I thought it was much better than I expected.

Matt Cooper , Woody and Stuart Barnes were better than the Tom and George show.
    even Brent Pope became a bit jaded, Conor O'Shea was good - but change is good , everything changes in life

• Registered Users Posts: 17,335 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

ronoc wrote: »
    I do miss Hooky and Co's analysis. But then again there's no Ryle Nugent which is a big plus.

I prefer Ryle to Conor McNamara to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,049 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

someone should tell them not to take ad breaks after the haka. we didnt even see what way argentina reacted.

PTH2009 wrote: »
    someone should tell them not to take ad breaks after the haka. we didnt even see what way argentina reacted.

They take breaks after all the anthems/hakas before kickoff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,049 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Stheno wrote: »
    They take breaks after all the anthems/hakas before kickoff

They miss some anthems too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

I prefer Ryle to Conor McNamara to be honest.

That will be going on your epitaph.

Biut I agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭jamesbondings

Are Rte not allowed do a match of the day kinda thing after each day of rugby? It's so painful on tv3 I would actually NOT watch any of it once there was decent analysis available....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,732 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Are Rte not allowed do a match of the day kinda thing after each day of rugby?

TV3 have all of the rights.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Yeah I think this is the first time I've literally no interest in the studio bits between a World Cup. I'd watch itv but I'm on UPC.

The only decent pundit IMO is Jenno, he has a bit of humour about him and isn't sugar coating everything. He's quite critical of his recent teammates too.

Stuart Barnes on the commentary is also decent, as much as he waffles hyperbolic nonsense he's atleast entertaining and notices what's going on on the pitch.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,052 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

I've been pausing the station and leaving it on so I can fast forward the ad breaks. It's helping, just means I don't follow the match thread if there's one

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭Crimsonforce

This tv3 ****e is actually ruining my experience of the world cup. I should be jumping around, up and down off the couch at every breakdown, telling the missus to get out of the room, ordering take aways but no I was cutting he grass during a match yesterday.. ****ing tv3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

I used be jealous of UPC customers with their fibre broadband, not at the moment! 80MB Voda and Freesat HD ftw

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Well the NZ match was the first I've seen at all. I thought the commentary was fine, but the ads really do my head in - TG I'll be home for next weekend and can watch ITV.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,561 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

PTH2009 wrote: »

They were doing this on ITV too when I was up north over the weekend - seems like they as host broadcaster (presumably?) are inserting these breaks for everyone else? I noticed the exact same Land Rover bumpers too, so maybe it's a sponsorship requirement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Can you watch ITV on your SkyGo?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

.ak wrote: »
    Can you watch ITV on your SkyGo?

No.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

MJohnston wrote: »
    They were doing this on ITV too when I was up north over the weekend - seems like they as host broadcaster (presumably?) are inserting these breaks for everyone else? I noticed the exact same Land Rover bumpers too, so maybe it's a sponsorship requirement.

They might he responsible for the breaks right after the anthems or right after the whistle goes but they wouldn't have any control over how much studio time TV3 give over to adverts. If ITV are doing the same it suggests that they've had to pay an awful lot for the rights too and are making sure they squeeze every penny out of their advertisers.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

They might he responsible for the breaks right after the anthems or right after the whistle goes but they wouldn't have any control over how much studio time TV3 give over to adverts. If ITV are doing the same it suggests that they've had to pay an awful lot for the rights too and are making sure they squeeze every penny out of their advertisers.

Its like this with every major sports tournament, World Cup, Olympics, RWC, 6 Nations, Euros....

State broadcasters (RTE/BBC) do an excellent job, whereas the commercial broadcasters are only in it purely for the money, and to hell with the viewer experience.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Its like this with every major sports tournament, World Cup, Olympics, RWC, 6 Nations, Euros....

State broadcasters (RTE/BBC) do an excellent job, whereas the commercial broadcasters are only in it purely for the money, and to hell with the viewer experience.

Yeah, the very thought of someone other than BBC carrying the Olympics is terrifying.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,300 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

The TV3 coverage outside of Conor McNamara is fine... I can't stand him. Every word of his is uttered like he's auditioning for some voice over gig selling carpets or furniture.

TuuuurrrrrryyyyeeeeeeeEEEE

Abysmal.

And to add insult to injury; the content of what he says is terrible to boot. Cliche ridden and clearly devoid of any real knowledge of the game of rugby.

But the rest is very watchable. Excellent quality (Saorview apart and with a sky sub - regrettably); pundits and co-commentators are great. But McNamara is big minus.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

I watch the games on itv hd on freesat. Tv3 must be losing a huge amount of ad revenue by not having the saorview channel in hd. The itv coverage has been very good. John Inverdale the regular bbc guy is one of the presenters plus you have Gregan, Dallagio, Pienaar and Sean Fitzpatrick giving analysis. Craig Doyle isn't great and Drico doesn't offer much either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

Cutting to ads straight after the anthems and 10 seconds after the final whistle is the most annoying part of the coverage for me. It really kills the atmosphere watching the game.

I've also seen the Gareth Thomas Guinness ad and the Oreo ad far too many times in the last 3 days!

Nothing to do with TV3 but I felt it was very bad form that Twickenham Stadium were playing Rolling Stones during the Fijian Cibi too!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭Melodeon

Nothing to do with TV3 but I felt it was very bad form that Twickenham Stadium were playing Rolling Stones during the Fijian Cibi too!
    In fairness, it wasn't quite as it appeared.

I too was appalled at what appeared to be going on with the music on the PA during the Cibi, but another kind poster here clarified to me that what happened was that TV3 played delayed footage of the Cibi with live audio from the stadium.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

thebaz wrote: »
    Matt Cooper , Woody and Stuart Barnes were better than the Tom and George show.
    even Brent Pope became a bit jaded, Conor O'Shea was good - but change is good , everything changes in life

TV3s coverage is proof of the falsity that change is good.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement