Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taskmaster (Greg Davies sets some comedians daft challenges!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,954 ✭✭✭Degag

Thought it was an ok episode. The switch and wayne tasks were decent but the last and live tasks were dog poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,767 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Don't think the contestants helping each other makes for good tv... shortened live task.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,133 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

I thought Lucy was going to be disqualified for leaving her spot to help Sue, like how Sue was for crossing the line to help Julian a few episodes back.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,275 ✭✭✭✭Penn

As I feared, the secret task wasn't worth it. It was good for that task where they're all looking for it, but the buildup to it over the last few weeks made absolutely no difference because the whole thing ended up being part of a task that everyone did anyway.

If the secret task hadn't been mentioned in every episode so far, it would have made no difference to what we just saw.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭siblers

It was a very good stand alone task but as a secret task it fell flat as no one found it ahead of time and none of them kept it a secret

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

It would have worked better if he just mentioned after the task that it was there all series long for anyone to take rather than constantly bringing it up all series long.

Because in essence, it wasn't a secret task. Everyone had to find it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,171 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

“Constantly” bringing it up is a bit much in fairness. Might have been mentioned a max of once a show

FWIW the “lucky coin” task was an exact replica of one that the NZ version did

It was constant, it was nearly, if not every, episode. And if it was only once per show, the pay off was awful for the all the build up (because as I said they all had to find it in the end so it was hardly secret). The task in isolation itself was very good but mentioning it throughout the series built it up way higher than the pay off at the end.

Asking contestants "have you found the secret task" with absolutely no context was pointless - they were never going to open that little door with no guidance or clues.

It was mentioned in every task they did in the Living Room, which is always once per show.

If they had found clues during some of the other tasks throughout, which meant some of them could have potentially figured it out earlier, that might have been better. Though I'm not sure how you could have then judged who did it quickest as they may not film tasks in the same order.

It just ended up not being worth it. It worked well as a standalone task, but because it ended up making absolutely no difference to anything, they should have edited it out and just presented it as a standalone task.

It's like Series 5 when Alex gave himself a task to use fish puns with Sally Philips. If in every episode they mentioned there was a secret task, it would have been annoying. Because they kept it to the end and just played clips of it, it worked really well because you realise you didn't notice Alex was doing it either.

Other than that though, I did enjoy the episode last night. The sleeping task felt like a dud but the girl's reactions during Sam's turn and then the twist of his bribe were just brilliant. Sam is one of the all-time greats. Never heard of him before TM but he's just terrific, especially in the studio.

That sleep task really just shows the fragility of some of the tasks in how they can be hits or misses based on one contestants actions. It was a fantastic end to it.

Sam really is one of the best contestants they've had. Such a peculiar personality but eminently affable with the other contestants as well as Greg and Alex. With a 12 point lead over Julian going into the final two episodes, he'll be very tough to catch.

The difference between this series and last is night and day. I think it'll go down as one of the better ones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,782 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

this is the best series in a good while, all the contestants are funny and seem to bond well together.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

Enjoying the contestants quite a bit. The tasks not so much.

Sam is very funny. I think I'd go to see him in a stand-up show.

Julian is contrary. Him on the road sweeper tonight was brilliant.

Sue comes across as intelligent and funny, and just all round cool person.

Really like Susan too.

Can't warm to Lucy at all.

I was more keen on Lucy in earlier episodes. It seems like she's not bothered anymore, especially how she handled the live task.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,782 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

The tasks aren't shown in the order they were filmed. I like Lucy, but I can see how her ditzy persona could wear thin.

The Horne Section are playing Vicar Street in October 2024.

If you've never seen them, they're absolutely hilarious.

Tempted

The Podcast is brilliant. It's so random and nonsensical

She was annoying during the live task. Trying too hard to be funny

• Registered Users Posts: 9,954 ✭✭✭Degag

Can't really warm to the series. Like Lucy & Julian, can't warm to Susan at all, Sam and Sue are decent. Tasks are poor-ish though.

Rewatching the series with Dara O'B in it. What a series that was. All contestants were exceptionally good but John Kearns is up there as one of the best ever. Tasks really good too.

New Year Treat 2024 stars Deborah Meaden, Kojey Radical, Lenny Rush, Steve Backshall and Zoe Ball.

• Advertisement

Thought it was a decent final. The exercise task was crap, but the hotel task was absolutely brilliant. I saw Alex mention on Twitter earlier today that the final was going to be live, but I figured it likely wouldn't be. Admire his dedication to the bit.

Delighted Sam won though. Well deserved, and he was absolutely hilarious throughout.

It was only an okay series. A good lineup, but just some horrible tasks and too much either not really trying, or trying too hard to be funny and fail the task.

New Years Treat lineup looks decent, should be good enough.

I thought Sue and Susan's hotel task was quite boring but the other 3 was one of the funniest team tasks ever.

They were a really likeable bunch. Took a couple of episodes to get going but miles ahead of last season

Not really arsed about the NY Treat reveal when it's just one episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,767 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

good last ep, best of the season. Didn't like Julian spitting on Alex that was bit much, Lucy obvious didn't give Alex food she already chewed.

Punch The **** is one of the funniest things I've seen on Taskmaster. Julian was brilliant

• Registered Users Posts: 31,968 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Overall really enjoyed that season, Lucy Beaumont and Sam Campbell were the highlights but the other contestants were good fun and some very funny moments. For me probably the strongest season overall since move to channel 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,777 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Great contestants - bar the extremely one-dimensional Julian Cleary - but particularly weak tasks throughout was disappointing.

Still think Dara, Fern, John, Munya, Sarah was best since C4 move.

Agreed. I'd even put the series before that with Ardal, Bridget, Chris, Judi and Sophie above this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

For anyone interested Sam Campbell is in Vicar Street in February. Never heard of him before but Jesus he was funny on Taskmaster.

That was just moved up from the Sugar Club too so it's great to see his popularity rise. Saw him at the Fringe last year (when he won best show) and he is absolutely hilarious and a bit unhinged.

Would highly recommend him.

Post edited by Exclamation Marc on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

For anyone who hasn't seen the NZ version of the show, the official TM YouTube channel has started uploading episodes.

Advertisement