Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taskmaster (Greg Davies sets some comedians daft challenges!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,454 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

I'm not a fan of Jeremy Wells on Taskmaster either. He just doesn't bring any humour or personality to the role. Paul Williams, his sidekick, is great though. I've only watched the first series but I'll be starting the second one tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,233 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I only watched maybe half the first series of Taskmaster NZ, but Jeremy Wells reminded me of why the US version of the show failed, and it relates to a phrase Greg Davies uses often:

"I want to drill down into the narrative..."

The US version was only half an hour per episode, so there was never any time for a lot of the studio stuff (plus they made the stupid decision to have a dramatic actor and some DJ/producer on the show instead of more comedians). And Jeremy Wells just didn't seem to have the chops to give his own spin on things and riff with the comedians like Greg can.

So many of the best bits of Taskmaster have come from the studio sections rather than the tasks, and it's why some of the weaker series of TM (such as Series 6 and some of the covid ones with no audience) felt poor, because the contestants didn't have that back and forth with Greg or arguing amongst themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,296 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Really enjoying this so far. Episode 2 (float a brussel sprout, transform the lab, squirt sun-screen the furthest) had 3 of the funniest back-to-back tasks of any Taskmaster series.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

watched the first 2 seasons on All 4 (free)

It’s pretty good. Like all taskmaster efforts, it’s hit and miss but that’s OK. Second season was better than the first

• Registered Users Posts: 33,233 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Decent start. Sam Campbell seems like he could be terrific. "Are you a child of divorce?" was definitely the highlight of the episode. Lucy Beaumont is brilliant too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Great opener.. pretty much everyone had moments!

Sam Campbell unsurprisingly a scene-stealer though!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,362 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Didn't find Susan Wakomo very funnybut the other 4 were very good. Very good live task too. Has potential to be a very good season

I think you need a “normal” one too for it to work. She’s positive too so overall I think she’ll add to the show. Julian Clary’s dourness may get tiresome but he’s OK so far

Good opener

• Registered Users Posts: 11,284 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

That was a good first show, it seems every season there’s one I’ve never heard of that turns out great and Sam is that one already. The tasks were good and studio craic was good.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,849 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Very solid episode one.

I had high hopes for Lucy (not task wise...) and she was great entertainment.

I only know Susan as an actress, she might grow into it but she was quiet in studio, Sam (front runner) is funny in bloods but is a standup too and it showed. Sue (great at duck task) and Julian (dry lol) fun as expected too.

Silly question...cut could you not just burst the duck and carry it?

Post edited by gmisk on

• Advertisement

To be fair, Julian was a one-trick pony the last time he was relevant back in the 90's too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

Silly question...cut could you not just burst the duck and carry it?

All the information is on the task.

Susan was responsible for (I think) my favourite task performance in years tonight. The mischievous one. 10 points from me

Bit of a weak episode overall I thought..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,754 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

using your phone to google the answer hmmm :/ nope, shouldn't have been allowed.

Susan's mischief task was very impressive but I can't say I find her funny. Episode overall was kinda hit and miss

I enjoyed this week though not quite as strong as last week.

Sam really is the stand out he is delightfully weird "negative gearing"?!

Susan came out of her shell a bit which was nice too see. Sweaty backs, and her mischief task was excellent...Fish!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭appledrop

Dying the watch this season of Taskmaster.

Last one was so bad I didn't even bother watching the last episode!

That first episode was brilliant, loved the tin cans, and the live task was hilliarous.

The cast this series has amazing potential!

• Advertisement

Yep, like ffs if they could use their phone for any task they would all be ruined.

Mad over that one, I don't mind when people think outside the box on tasks but that's just ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,297 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

I think the first two episodes were very good but I agree that it's bizarre that a mobile phone was allowed to be used.

I obviously have a different sense of humour to the rest of you, I thought that fish task was absolutely stupid, it didn't get one laugh from me.

Thank god overall we are back on track with Taskmaster.

Season 13 & 14, so good was always going to be a hard act to follow but 15 was absolutely woeful.

It's not great tonight, a pity last two episodes were great.

The nickname task was awful, not sure how Sam got 5 points, Julian's attempt was the only attemot I found funny

• Registered Users Posts: 11,297 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Get the ball in the hole task was a funny idea but the hilarity was done after the initial reveal.

The nickname task was genuinely one of the worst ever Taskmaster tasks.

The contestants are still great fun...but give them something fun to do! The task this week shocking. Surely they can come up with something better than that nonsense.

Sam still cracking me up though, "smoking kills....weaklings!"

Lucy is naturally very funny in an odd way.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,076 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

She is quite funny but I don't think i could sit through a whole stand up show from her

• Advertisement

I get you yeah I would be same but in small doses she is bonkers fun

Advertisement