Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jan and Klodi's Party Bus - part II **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭traprunner

I made it to joint top on the Boards.ie strava group on one segment. Big achievement for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,746 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Unintended consequences: satnavs result in more congestion and traffic noise on rural roads in the UK.
    New Government statistics show that traffic and hence noise is growing fastest on minor rural roads, with a shocking 5.5% increase in the past year alone. Increased use of satnavs is believed to be part of the reason that traffic is spreading off major roads onto networks of minor roads, eroding rural tranquillity deep into the countryside.
    http://www.cpre.org.uk/media-centre/latest-news-releases/item/4096-campaigners-warn-of-funding-gap-in-tackling-rural-road-noise

I have a Dutch friend who used to work in UCD on air quality. When she went back to the Netherlands, her first job there was computer modelling the prevalence and consequences of traffic noise. At the time, I'd never heard of anyone doing equivalent work here. Still haven't actually.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

At a conference on concussion, wonder how long before someone mentions cycling and helmets !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Hunterbiker

RobFowl wrote: »
    At a conference on concussion, wonder how long before someone mentions cycling and helmets !
    And then followed by hi-viz...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

I'll say 34 minutes.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Eamonnator wrote: »
    I'll say 34 minutes.

Was less than that ;)

No mention of high viz yet though

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

What about using the footpad?

Rugby getting much of a mention?

tomasrojo wrote: »
    Rugby getting much of a mention?

Rugby seems the main focus, most of data seems to be from the States and American football based.

That's what I would have assumed, based on the academic discussions online. Lot of interest in brain damage in the NFL.

• Advertisement

Of course, the NFL isn't directly comparable to rugby, in some ways. More protective equipment, including helmets, funnily enough.

Of course, the NFL isn't directly comparable to rugby, in some ways. More protective equipment, including helmets, funnily enough.

One of the big things from AFL is that helmets have no protective effect at all on concussion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Isn't that part of the reason for a high level of concussions, players smack into each other with much less care and consideration to themselves and others, as they believe the equipment protects them, than what they would do without it.

I think that it goes beyond taking less care: they started using head-ramming tactics after the adoption of helmets. So I've read anyway. I don't know a lot about NFL apart from what I read.

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Isn't that part of the reason for a high level of concussions, players smack into each other with much less care and consideration to themselves and others, as they believe the equipment protects them, than what they would do without it.

NFL have noted reports and documented athletes being coached to and using helmets as "weapons". Apparantly sanction against this now.

I think that it goes beyond taking less care: they started using head-ramming tactics after the adoption of helmets. So I've read anyway. I don't know a lot about NFL apart from what I read.

Beat me to it but that's what was presented .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

they started using head-ramming tactics after the adoption of helmets.
    NFL have noted reports and documented athletes being coached to and using helmets as "weapons". Apparantly sanction against this now.

Yeah, I was going to add that myself but I wasn't sure how prevalent it was as I don't watch it that often. I wasn't sure if the times I did see it happen wasn't just put into a look at this mad stuff that happens in NFL type package show.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,711 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Did anyone suggest helmets provide significant protection from concussion? (I see your comment about the AFL, and what you mention is certainly my understanding - you can get concussion with absolutely no impact to the head as it's typically caused by the brain bouncing off the inside of the skull and helmets cannot protect from that - although you'll know a lot more about it than me)

Also curious whether there are moves in the cycling world to stop racers getting back on their bikes if there is any suggestion of concussion (may already be a rule, but it seems to me that riders or teams are either oblivious to or ignore it if there is one)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

I haven't been involved in any graphic design job for like 10 years, and then suddenly...

362044.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/Irish-Cyclocross-861838950495588/timeline/

RobFowl will know this much better than I do, but I believe there were or are competing theories about the causes of concussion. One was coup contrecoup, where the brain whacks off the inside of the skull, resulting in localised contusions, and the other was related to shearing of layers in the brain, which is caused more by rotational acceleration. The latter is generally more destructive, and more associated with concussion. That's my limited understanding anyway.
    http://www.cordingleyneurology.com/contuseconcuss.html

Apparently woodpeckers avoid concussion by lining up their beaks perfectly with the target wood every blow, avoiding oblique impacts that would impart rotation to the brain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Alek wrote: »
    I haven't been involved in any graphic design job for like 10 years, and then suddenly...

362044.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/Irish-Cyclocross-861838950495588/timeline/

Cycloc Ross? Who is he? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Alek wrote: »

362044.jpg

Verra nice. Are the posters available anywhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Raam wrote: »
    Cycloc Ross? Who is he? ;)

He's Irish. If that helps narrow it down?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,320 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Isn't yer man who is the CEO of the NFL a bit of a chancer? Meanwhile, one US college trains with a robot.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Are the posters available anywhere?

Its just a logo for a facebook page, but if you wish I can send you a high res version for printing :)
    Cycloc Ross? Who is he?
    He's Irish. If that helps narrow it down?

Lol :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,619 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

ThisRegard wrote: »
    isn't the use of boxing gloves linked to a higher level of brain injury in boxing? thought to be caused by fights going on longer than they should due to a lack of visible damage; plus you can throw more weight with a heavily gloved hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭link_2007

The Freakonomics podcast have a good episode on this called 'The Dangers of Safety'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,289 ✭✭✭Melodeon

isn't the use of boxing gloves linked to a higher level of brain injury in boxing? thought to be caused by fights going on longer than they should due to a lack of visible damage; plus you can throw more weight with a heavily gloved hand.
    In Ye Olden Days of bareknuckle boxing when matches went on until someone quit or couldn't continue, punching your opponent in the head/jaw was a pretty good way of loosing a fight.
    Contrary to what Hollywood would have us believe, hand and wrist bones are much more delicate and fragile than skulls, and a broken hand (or two!) will lead to your defeat in short order.
    Gloves were introduced to protect boxers hands, but allowed for much harder blows to the head, leading to the almost commonplace phenomenon up to quite recently of the punch-drunk 'retired' boxer.

• Advertisement

Ye olden days? Aren't the poorest in Ireland still performing these bouts?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement