Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jan and Klodi's Party Bus - part II **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,957 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Jawgap wrote: »
    Glad it wasn't me on the bike or in the car - that's some dent he left.......
    In fairness though, modern cars dent fairly easily - presumably to help dissipate energy. Now if it was 1975 and he was following a Hillman Hunter, it would be a different story!

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Rambling Man

"The revolutions start here..."

The new thread title isn't doing it for me either.

Late suggestion - and to quote the Movistar DS "Quick, hide the bike"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

In fairness though, modern cars dent fairly easily - presumably to help dissipate energy. Now if it was 1975 and he was following a Hillman Hunter, it would be a different story!

they do, but I can't imagine getting that dent sorted was cheap :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,216 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Yeah they dent fairly easy...and to get it fixed, they empty your wallet fairly quickly too!... that's an expensive repair.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,743 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

361680.jpg

Quite a striking sight.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

• Registered Users Posts: 11,743 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I've seen that RAF thing before, but I think it's never been in the Hi-viz megathread, so you might like to post it there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

grooooooovay!

resize?key=1e6a1a1efdb011df84894040444cdc60&url=http%3A%2F%2Fpbs.twimg.com%2Fmedia%2FCDtEe0QWIAA9raF.jpg

Mock away. I have been known to cycle in a light-up hi-viz with 'SLOW' on it, despite drivers hanging out of their windows pointing and laughing and shouting "Slowww!" As long as they see me, I don't mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

must. stop. looking. into. cycling. adverts.

f. f. s. !

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Mock away. I have been known to cycle in a light-up hi-viz with 'SLOW' on it, despite drivers hanging out of their windows pointing and laughing and shouting "Slowww!" As long as they see me, I don't mind.

Any chance you cycle through Phibsborugh, saw someone wearing one of them the other day.

Kind of reminds me of the La Vie Clair jerseys

• Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭daragh_

Woot!!!!! My CX bike just arrived. Cannonade CaadX. Few years old but in spotless condition. Now I just need to figure out where to hide it :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

daragh_ wrote: »
    Woot!!!!! My CX bike just arrived. Cannonade CaadX. Few years old but in spotless condition. Now I just need to figure out where to hide it :rolleyes:

Attic has worked for me in the past, also shed just make sure there are lots of spiders around doorway ;)

Don't hide it, ride it!!

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

Hide it like you stole it. :pac:

Weepsie wrote: »
    Any chance you cycle through Phibsborugh, saw someone wearing one of them the other day.

Kind of reminds me of the La Vie Clair jerseys

No, just got it. I've seen the odd one around town and it always made my head whip round - "whaaa?" - so I thought it was a good one for driver attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

daragh_ wrote: »

im hoping mine turns up this week.

planning some cx type intervals on the way home. 20 seconds on, 10 seconds off, by 8 minutes by 3. That should be enough to induce vomiting.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭daragh_

lennymc wrote: »

planning some cx type intervals on the way home. 20 seconds on, 10 seconds off, by 8 minutes by 3. That should be enough to induce vomiting.....

I've a similar plan.

20 seconds on. 2 days off.

Success will undoubtedly follow.

lennymc wrote: »

What is the current thinking on the off bit?

Stop doing anything during that time or "active recovery" ie gentle spinning.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

i'm planning active recovery.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

ronoc wrote: »
    What is the current thinking on the off bit?

Stop doing anything during that time or "active recovery" ie gentle spinning.

Active recovery, keep spinning

Keep breathing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

always+be+cycling.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭Fian

Really interesting article there, some new information I had not previously seen.

Thanks!

I was talking to a London cyclist recently. His bike was stolen. But he had a GPS tracker installed, and so was able to track it to the thief's front garden 1km away and go in with the local police and reclaim it.

His tracker requires a SIM with data and unlimited texts, which he gets in England from EE (formerly Orange).

The nearest equivalent plan I can see in Ireland is the 3 €20-a-month pay-as-you-go plan, which works out awfully expensive over a year. (The Londoner's plan with EE costs £8, which is still pretty dear.)

It struck me that if a large group of cyclists got together to talk to 3 or Meteor or Vodafone, it might be possible to set up a special deal for SIMs for only this use.

It would be a great deal for the telecom provider - "My deal with 3 got my stolen bike back", and also for the Gardaí, who would have nice easy catches, probably many of them with multiple stolen bikes, and would also have feelgood stories about their triumphs. And it would be great for cyclists, even the ones who didn't have GPS trackers, because it would quickly make bike thefts less desirable as a way of making a living.

Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭bp_me

His tracker requires a SIM with data and unlimited texts, which he gets in England from EE (formerly Orange).

The nearest equivalent plan I can see in Ireland is the 3 €20-a-month pay-as-you-go plan, which works out awfully expensive over a year. (The Londoner's plan with EE costs £8, which is still pretty dear.)

You can do the same with Tesco for 15pm on prepay.

If you only needed data it would come down to 5 p/m. Just a matter of finding the right tracker then.

bp_me wrote: »
    You can do the same with Tesco for 15pm on prepay.

If you only needed data it would come down to 5 p/m. Just a matter of finding the right tracker then.

You need data and texts, because if the bike's moved when your GPS tracker is armed, it sends you a text.

€15 is still a lot dearer than £8. I think if we got together a nice big group of cyclists it would be possible to get a bulk deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭bp_me

You need data and texts, because if the bike's moved when your GPS tracker is armed, it sends you a text.

€15 is still a lot dearer than £8. I think if we got together a nice big group of cyclists it would be possible to get a bulk deal.

Agreed. Maybe get onto "onebigswitch" about it.

Good thinking!

Meteor also have a €15 prepay deal with unlimited texts and 1GB data https://store.meteor.ie/sim-only-plans/?linkid=Meteor-simo-findoutmore-track

• Advertisement

Got a continental ultra sport tyre to replace my rear tyre.

It was an absolute pig to put on compared to the bontrager one it replaced. Took real force with the tyre irons for the last tight bit. This normal?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement