Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jan and Klodi's Party Bus - part II **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭koutoubia

I didn't think An Post had much input into eircode. I thought it was a govt farce designed so that anyone who wanted to use it had to buy the database. Hence the utter randomness of the codes that meant nothing unless you had The database.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,971 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

There used to be a time when An Post would get a letter to the intended recipient even when the address was incomplete or incorrect but that seems to have gone in recent years. I don't know if it's a form of protest or what but we regularly get letters returned to us at work even when the address has been provided by the recipient.

I was sending a large batch recently and inadvertently put Castlebar, Co Limerick on one. It was sent back. I would have thought that anyone working in a sorting office would immediately know it's destined for Co Mayo. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

Does Arnotts sell any decent cycle stuff?

I have a nice voucher, but if not, I will gift on tomorrow :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

There used to be a time when An Post would get a letter to the intended recipient even when the address was incomplete or incorrect but that seems to have gone in recent years. I don't know if it's a form of protest or what but we regularly get letters returned to us at work even when the address has been provided by the recipient.

A bloke near me has a blog going about the often absurd lengths he goes to to have An Post complete puzzles to get post to him. He puts puzzles, crosswords etc on them, packs them weirdly. They all got to him apart from one or two. Can't find the blog at the minute but they impressed me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

koutoubia wrote: »
    I didn't think An Post had much input into eircode. I thought it was a govt farce designed so that anyone who wanted to use it had to buy the database. Hence the utter randomness of the codes that meant nothing unless you had The database.

the an post workers union made sure it took years longer to complete than it should have (hence going way over budget). But yes Eircode is complete crap, the locate8 is much better.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,833 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

I find An Post fantastic. I often send things back and forth to home and letters are 99% of the time there the next day, two days max. Parcels the same actually. And very nice to deal with in depots/getting destinations changed on deliveries. And they manage to send stuff with my barely legible scrawl on it. Plus the postie in our area is lovely! Big An Post fan!

They have been using one of the most advanced automatic sorting machines in the world, and apparently it doesn't work so well with dark ink on a dark background but what can't be sorted by it is done by hand. We're really lucky to have such a good postal service in comparison to Royal Mail which has been a nightmare for me at times between friends. And a lot slower.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

There used to be a time when An Post would get a letter to the intended recipient even when the address was incomplete or incorrect but that seems to have gone in recent years.

I think it depends very much on who's running the local post office. My father was living in a village in Wexford and you could get a letter to him by using his name, name of the village, Wexford. After getting held up a few times, the post office merge with the local Centra, but the service remained very good, largely IMHO to a conscientious post mistress who knew her neighbourhood really well.

Anyhoo, that aside, a very merry Christmas to one and all!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

ThisRegard wrote: »
    A bloke near me has a blog going about the often absurd lengths he goes to to have An Post complete puzzles to get post to him. He puts puzzles, crosswords etc on them, packs them weirdly. They all got to him apart from one or two. Can't find the blog at the minute but they impressed me.
    This one? http://meversusanpost.tumblr.com/

I remember seeing a couple of articles about him this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

An Post run an excellent service. I've used them for business for five years now. No hassles. Royal Mail are a joke, poor service but staff are decent. Fastway, GLS, DPD and niteline have abysmal service. Never on time. Staff have a poor attitude. Handle freight badly and have caught them lying repeatedly. An Post are slightly more expensive but service is much better. By far.

As for them not automatically redirecting your incorrectly addressed letter. Learn to do things properly next time instead of expecting people to fix your **** ups.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

ThisRegard wrote: »

Tell him to try putting his name and Loc8 code. I'm still waiting for a postcard I sent myself with that in the early days of Loc8.

But yes, An Post is generally far, far better than Royal Mail - books from English publishers often don't reach Ireland for weeks, while I've posted a DVD from Dublin to West Cork at 5pm and had it arrive there 9am.

• Advertisement

I think that An Post do a decent job. But it seems to be down to what the local postie is about.
    As for one of the couriers who I wont mention.
    I witnessed something a while back...The courier couldnt get through a locked gate so proceeded to throw the package as hard as possible towards the front door , then tapped on his delivery device then drove off.

Any Happy 25th December guys and gals.
    Stay upright and may the road always be a descent!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

Fian wrote: »
    Yeah VR linked turbo training might actually be fun rather than a chore, especially if you can compete in a tour de france stage against the actual riders, with a sliding level of "boost" to make it possible to actually compete. Sort of like virtual mechanical doping. No reason why they could not incorporate an easing of power required when drafting an increase in the front too, as well as factoring in climbs.

I am planning a new PC and a VR HMD next year when they come out.

I'm thinking virtual group spin when Storm Keith or Desmond hits again.

Sign me up!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,971 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

... Learn to do things properly next time instead of expecting people to fix your **** ups.
    You've never made an error?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

You've never made an error?

Of course. We all have. We don't all expect someone else to fix it for us and link their failure to do so with their stupidity rather than our own.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,868 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

That's it - Kids in bed, Wattbike session completed, presents wrapped. Just about time to head off to bed myself. Just time to say

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

True love is a wife that understands the simple truths....

372638.JPG

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,833 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Happy Christmas everyone!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

This one? http://meversusanpost.tumblr.com/

I remember seeing a couple of articles about him this year.

That's the guy.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,108 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Planet X can't do maths it seems ...

ZXcIT.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,868 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

One of today's tasks - building these up

372721.jpg

Which power metres are you putting on them?

koutoubia wrote: »
    Which power metres are you putting on them?
    Not using PMs on them - will be putting a couple of vintage Power Generators on - one is 11 years old and the other 12.....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

i've been hiding out in the oulwans & oulfellas forum. Beasty found me tho. Anything exciting going on in the past few weeks?

Edit - Oh, and happy christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

lennymc wrote: »
    i've been hiding out in the oulwans & oulfellas forum. Beasty found me tho. Anything exciting going on in the past few weeks?

Edit - Oh, and happy christmas.

Never heard the Tri forum called that before...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

Never heard the Tri forum called that before...

ah Jaysus. Don't tell me I was on there....
    #whathappened

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

In other news.

Any opinions on those Wiggle Cosine saddles?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Getting the bike ready for my first attack on sally gap tomorrow and notice the rear wheel barings grinding like hell. No cassette removal tool so that's that out the window. I'll pick one up tomorrow and do a job on the hub, Sally will have to wait until Wednesday morning cos I'm in work Tuesday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Waterford cyclist Robert Power profiled in TheJournal http://www.the42.ie/robert-power-olympic-cycling-interview-2507351-Dec2015/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

I'm tackling my first attempt at sally gap this week, most likely on Thursday. Anybody here like to join me? Pace will obviously be relaxed but I'm going up to the gap and back through Blessington. Going to hit McDonald's Kylemore Road for a coffee before I start. Will leave from there then head up to Tallaght. Thinking of setting off at around 8.30

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement