Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jan and Klodi's Party Bus - part II **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,670 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Had to go to LBS to get a chain fixed and ended up with Look Keo Movistar csrbon pedals as they match the TCR plus did a deal on Mavic Cosmic Pro Carbon wheels for the racing season, a quick end to €880 that I didn't plan on spending, ah well..

Chain is fixed anyway so that's a relief!!!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Good deal on the wheels !

• Registered Users Posts: 16,670 ✭✭✭✭dahat

RobFowl wrote: »
    Good deal on the wheels !

Indeed considering the pedals were €80 and not needed at all, happy with the purchase and my current Mavic wheels are bombproof so hoping these are the same.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,677 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i'm really beginning to dislike motorbikes, specifically for the smell of half burnt petrol some of them emit, which is not pleasant when they're sitting beside you at lights.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Following recent discussion on self driving cars;

self_driving_car_milestones.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

smacl wrote: »
    Following recent discussion on self driving cars;

self_driving_car_milestones.png

(rollover text)

I'm working on a car capable of evaluating arbitrarily complex boolean expressions on "honk if [...]" bunper stickers and responding accordingly

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,562 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I can't wait till they use text identification to read the how's my driving stickers, and their messaging services get filled with voicemails from Kitt either complimenting their lane discipline or ridiculing the number of deaths they nearly caused.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

i'm really beginning to dislike motorbikes, specifically for the smell of half burnt petrol some of them emit, which is not pleasant when they're sitting beside you at lights.

Currently waiting on candles from car throttle https://shop.carthrottle.com/products/race-fuel-scented-candle

• Registered Users Posts: 8,060 ✭✭✭buffalo

A lot of pedestrians in dark clothing along the unlit canal path this morning. Miraculously I hit none of them, but I reckon I'm still going to get on to Joe!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

CramCycle wrote: »
    I can't wait till they use text identification to read the how's my driving stickers, and their messaging services get filled with voicemails from Kitt either complimenting their lane discipline or ridiculing the number of deaths they nearly caused.

There was a related story in the news:
    https://tinyurl.com/ybbolfbz
    “When we first proposed the idea of a bumper sticker as a means of data collection, it was considered rather unorthodox, but it has paid off with a massive repository of vital information. We, of course, would like to thank all of our volunteer respondents, whose passionate and consistent reporting made the whole 1-800-EAT-**** project possible.” Cattalone went to say that any peer reviewers seeking to challenge the survey’s methodology or criticize its findings can also call the number.

• Advertisement

tomasrojo wrote: »
    There was a related story in the news:
    https://tinyurl.com/ybbolfbz

I read that story while pondering the scientific rigour of their collection method, before I noted what site it was published on.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭MediaMan

buffalo wrote: »
    I read that story while pondering the scientific rigour of their collection method, before I noted what site it was published on.

And from our own Onion-y people, some New Year predictions...

Waterford Whispers News’s Top 10 predictions for 2018

None of them cycling-related - a missed opportunity...

Came across this one earlier

Not if you paid me would I ride that every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,147 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Not if you paid me would I ride that every day.
    I'd rather ride it than drive it.

I'd rather ride it than drive it.

Ha true :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Why is it that I have the handstrength to accidentally explode a can of tuna yet almost always need levers to get a tyre back on?

...got to clean the kitchen now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,677 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i recently had the fun of trying to get a tyre back on (and off) repeatedly, as the bead wouldn't sit properly for me. it seems the trick (which i have not tried) is to puch the tyre on from top to bottom; i was trying to get the last bit of bead over the rim at the top.

Still finding bits of Tuna on the kitchen wall...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

I can lend you a tuna-loving cat. It might be the start of a beautiful friendship.

I can lend you a tuna-loving cat. It might be the start of a beautiful friendship.

Will the cat also try to sell me on racing?

[It has been a theme with members of your household]

• Advertisement

probably by smell by now?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

i recently had the fun of trying to get a tyre back on (and off) repeatedly, as the bead wouldn't sit properly for me. it seems the trick (which i have not tried) is to puch the tyre on from top to bottom; i was trying to get the last bit of bead over the rim at the top.

Care to try and get my spiked tyres onto my wheels?

Think the rims are rated to 28mm, but the tyres are 30 and just a bit too big but that I'd be able to get away with it.

i ended up using soapy water on mine to get the tyre to sit properly. but my thumbs were still stiff a couple of days later.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

i ended up using soapy water on mine to get the tyre to sit properly. but my thumbs were still stiff a couple of days later.

Think they're are just not made for these wheels.

Not arsed taking off the other tyres to putting on the tyres in case they're not needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

Weepsie wrote: »
    Think they're are just not made for these wheels.

Not arsed taking off the other tyres to putting on the tyres in case they're not needed.

They're always a pain to put on the first time to due to a very stiff carcass to support the spikes. I find they're heavy and slow but worthwhile in bad icing conditions. Once you've used them on the bike they should be easier to change over in the future.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/dublin-and-cork-to-have-directly-elected-mayors-1.3318073

george hook for mayor!
    i'm probably trying a little too hard to shoehorn cycling into this, but i wonder if this is something that could have potential to be positive for cycling in the city.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,562 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/dublin-and-cork-to-have-directly-elected-mayors-1.3318073

george hook for mayor!
    i'm probably trying a little too hard to shoehorn cycling into this, but i wonder if this is something that could have potential to be positive for cycling in the city.
    Did they announce a term, I presume it is 4 or 5 years?

george hook for mayor!

I fear the likelihood is that a populist figure will get elected, which usually means bad news for common sense (i.e. cycling being encouraged/facilitated).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

I got a buddy to service my boiler, he's registered etc so all good in that sense. Anyway he was out of WD40 and he uses that to spray on the fan motor so I got him the bottle of MO94 I had in the shed, for all intents an purposes it's supposed to be the same as WD40. The fan seized 12 hours later and he had to come back, the MO94 just dried out the fan barings. I don't use it for much on the bike except for brake calipers and levers but it certainly made me wonder about the quality of the rest of the Muc Off lubes

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,832 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Anyone been on the Howth/s2s cycle path today? Is it icy?
    Heading out soon, having the path/road debate :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement