Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jan and Klodi's Party Bus - part II **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,760 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I didn't mean to leave people on tenterhooks. The advice about the car wheel fused to the axle was to tap the wheel from the axle side, rotate it a bit, tap it again, etc., until it came off. I guess that's pretty much the club hammer route?

(And to put some copper grease on the axle before installing the wheel in future.)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Beasty wrote: »
    The guy who deliberately rammed into the back of my car twice and then left the scene last year was not prosecuted by AGS and would not have picked up any points. They have left it to the insurers to sort out. He does face a private prosecution though, and I suspect his insurance premiums will have become rather prohibitive.

Nope. They ain't found me yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

So a phonecall was made and it was sorted. I arrived tonight to collect. The box was ****ing massive. I’m used to much smaller bike boxes. Opened box and the whole bike built in its entirety was in it. PM guy took box. Lucky I had roof rack on and off we went. Junior finally graduates from a BMX.

...to...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    ...to...?

MTB. He'll have to stop swinging the bike from side to side soon enough.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

dahat wrote: »
    Xmas shopping earlier and while looking at some shirts etc for Xmas day I was promptly told not to buy anything as you won't wear it so just spend money on cycling gear as you'll get the wear out of that!

A good sort my Mrs is!!!

My partner told me I had to get some new clothes as everything is getting old looking and I haven't bought anything new in awhile. Went online, problem solved. Fresh lycra on the way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

tomasrojo wrote: »
    I didn't mean to leave people on tenterhooks. The advice about the car wheel fused to the axle was to tap the wheel from the axle side, rotate it a bit, tap it again, etc., until it came off. I guess that's pretty much the club hammer route?

(And to put some copper grease on the axle before installing the wheel in future.)

It can take a serious amount of hammering though (from past experience).. Technicians usually loosen the wheel bolts/nuts and drive a bit while steering, ala WA's suggestion above.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Technicians usually loosen the wheel bolts/nuts and drive a bit while steering, ala WA's suggestion above.

Worked for me recently...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,760 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Yeah, that tip about driving a bit with the wheel nuts loosened sounds like a good plan. Wasn't needed on that occasion anyway, and I guess the idea would have been misattributed to someone who drives anyway! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

tomasrojo wrote: »
    Yeah, that tip about driving a bit with the wheel nuts loosened sounds like a good plan. Wasn't needed on that occasion anyway, and I guess the idea would have been misattributed to someone who drives anyway! ;)

Loosen them and Just drive a few metres and wobble the steering from side to side. Happened me and I called a friend of the auld fellas who worked for a on call tyre company.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,069 ✭✭✭buffalo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

Anyone cycling in the Smithfield area in the next while, please note:

https://twitter.com/GardaTraffic/status/943875228027031552

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,136 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

cycling through malahide earlier, spotted a car with hazards on, sitting at least a metre from the kerb with the door open, thought to myself 'oh you bleeding tool' - and then spotted the driver administering to (presumably) his young daughter being ill at the side of the road. some things you just have to let slide...

a little later, passing st. aidan's - beside DCU on collins avenue; good god, that's a hot mess of parents making a hames of the cycle lane and pulling out without looking, picking their darlings up from school.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

So, was thinking, if/when Froome Dog looses the Vuelta Nibbles gets another GT. But who would win the 4 TDF'd if/when he maybe in the future like looses them too.
    Would be poetic justice in some ways to see Wiggo promoted to 2nd in the 2011 Vuelta at some point in the future.
    Wonder how Shelly is taking it all atm.
    Suspect a few hitmen have been approached ;)

RobFowl wrote: »
    So, was thinking, if/when Froome Dog looses the Vuelta Nibbles gets another GT. But who would win the 4 TDF'd if/when he maybe in the future like looses them too.
    Would be poetic justice in some ways to see Wiggo promoted to 2nd in the 2011 Vuelta at some point in the future.
    Wonder how Shelly is taking it all atm.
    Suspect a few hitmen have been approached ;)

Not to cast aspersions on her but I would not be surprised if she goes along the stolkholm syndrome route for a story, although I would believe it more if it turned out she was grinding up the tablets and putting them in her homemade totally pure, vegan, hipster drink she makes for him every morning.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

It's Friday! It's nearly Christmas!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

I think I'm going to do my Christmas shopping a bit early this year. Might do it today instead of the usual lunchtime on Christmas Eve

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,136 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

can you pick something up for me to give to my mum? i'm stumped.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

So there I was looking for my salbutamol paracetamol in my medicine drawer in the bathroom last night and found a spare tube. Ahh, I thought, medicine for me and my bike. Made me happy. Where's the strangest place you've come across bike parts in your home/work?

can you pick something up for me to give to my mum? i'm stumped.

My Mum is gone away with her friends so that's me off the hook there, I paid for the holiday and glad to do it because she is so difficult to buy for. It's my OH I'm stuck for, I was going to buy her a bike so we could cycle together but she'd rather have me stick pins in her eyes.
    Hungrycol wrote: »
    So there I was looking for my salbutamol paracetamol in my medicine drawer in the bathroom last night and found a spare tube. Ahh, I thought, medicine for me and my bike. Made me happy. Where's the strangest place you've come across bike parts in your home/work?

I have a drawer in my room with shower gels, deodorants, hair gel etc etc and recently found a tube and a Kinetica gel in that drawer

My Mum is gone away with her friends so that's me off the hook there, I paid for the holiday and glad to do it because she is so difficult to buy for. It's my OH I'm stuck for, I was going to buy her a bike so we could cycle together but she'd rather have me stick pins in her eyes.

Santa bought my OH a powerwasher. Got a loan of one over the summer and loved it, so that is what Santa got.

I hear rumours Santa has bought me new pedals for the bike.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Hungrycol wrote: »

I find bits all over the place in both my apartment and parents home. I've way too much for the space I have. No big bike expenses for the next year at least while I save for a shed and the OH can get a house.

My Salbutamol/Ventolin is something I can never find when I think I'll need it though. It's often in a back pocket of a jersey.

Weepsie wrote: »
    I find bits all over the place in both my apartment and parents home. I've way too much for the space I have. No big bike expenses for the next year at least while I save for a shed and the OH can get a house.

My Salbutamol/Ventolin is something I can never find when I think I'll need it though. It's often in a back pocket of a jersey.

I got a load of tax back and have had to fight the urge to blow it all, I have said once I have next years college fees covered in my savings then I can buy more bike bits

thinking of getting a fitbit for the OH (she's expressed interest in one). she got me doohickeys for the woodturning.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,093 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

she got me doohickeys for the woodworming.
    Hope you're feeling better soon mb.....

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

Really good article about Conor Dunne's Lanterne Rouge in La Vuelta on The Journal today...

http://www.the42.ie/conor-dunne-vuelta-espana-cycling-interview-ireland-aqua-blue-3741400-Dec2017/

• Registered Users Posts: 16,694 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Deligjted to report that I've picked up a fly the thing with problems around throat n chest. Uslal meds with antibiotics as I'm on other meds and my immune system isn't great at the best of times.

Hopefully the healing goes well but any plans for Xmas riding the bike are shelved, not good.

it's a little bit longer than it should be, but the latest GCN video - £100 ebay bike challenge - does contain some genuinely funny moments.
    straight out of the top gear handbook, though.

Was that the one they pitted an old raleigh against a canyon disc model ? That was worth a look.

First of all, thanks to the rider in Shankhill earlier this week who came to my rescue. Two spares and a puncture repair kit all failed, he handed me a spare he had as he posted letters. Saved me a lot of hassle as I had no locks and was half way between work and home.

Paid it forward yesterday when I shouted at a guy was he OK as he changed a tube. He forgot his pump and the CO2 cannisters he had didn't work right, so I pumped up his wheel.

• Advertisement

nope, this one was uploaded yesterday.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement