Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jan and Klodi's Party Bus - part II **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

Beasty wrote: »
    I'm going to reinstate a few of your deleted posts to ensure you leapfrog 10,000

:pac:

That's evil. You're a genius!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Beasty wrote: »
    Thought you were talking about the thread then, and panic started creeping in...

...anyway, I do have a plan. I'm going to reinstate a few of your deleted posts to ensure you leapfrog 10,000

I have a plan and ready to execute it ! Lenny or Kuotobia have been told !!!!!

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,711 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

RobFowl wrote: »
    Jaysus! You're not sending the heavy mob down are you? I've spent enough time in hospital already this winter!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭koutoubia

Kramon_ParisRoubaix2013_DSC4863-Version-2.jpg

Your eagerness to-day to post pictures of semi- naked men is ...well ..unsettling!
    And for that reason I'm Out!
    Good luck Lenny.
    You will need it!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,954 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

As if Australia wasn't bad enough for cycling, watch out for Marsupials

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Should cycling organisations have a say in this?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057706642

Surely a petition saying Irish motor tax (built in an attempt to cut Ireland's horrific carbon footprint) is too high should be opposed

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Chuchote wrote: »
    Surely a petition saying Irish motor tax (built in an attempt to cut Ireland's horrific carbon footprint) is too high should be opposed
    there is logic to this though, in the 'two tier system' argument. you could have the same car bought three months apart, but exactly when it was bought could result in noticeably different tax being payable on it.

IMHO, they should scrap motor tax and raise duty on fuel to cover the shortfall, i.e. a direct tax at the petrol pump rather than a tax on claimed (and usually fanciful) emissions.
    for example: i'm doing what is possibly lower than average mileage (about 10k p.a.) in a 2007 reg car but am paying higher motor tax than someone driving a newer car doing 50k p.a.

there is logic to this though, in the 'two tier system' argument. you could have the same car bought three months apart, but exactly when it was bought could result in noticeably different tax being payable on it.

IMHO, they should scrap motor tax and raise duty on fuel to cover the shortfall, i.e. a direct tax at the petrol pump rather than a tax on claimed (and usually fanciful) emissions.
    for example: i'm doing what is possibly lower than average mileage (about 10k p.a.) in a 2007 reg car but am paying higher motor tax than someone driving a newer car doing 50k p.a.

Yes, motor tax, insurance and NCT (the first NCT, not any repeats) should be on the cost of fuel. The only objection is that we have a loose border with Northern Ireland and this would incentivise people near the border to drive north to buy fuel.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,746 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Yes, motor tax, insurance and NCT (the first NCT, not any repeats) should be on the cost of fuel. The only objection is that we have a loose border with Northern Ireland and this would incentivise people near the border to drive north to buy fuel.
    Brexit might change that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

i'd like see us bring in congestion charge within canal too, amount of single people occupied cars going through city every day, with all the bike tech now one person in big metal box is shouldn't be how people commute in a city

• Advertisement

manafana wrote: »
    i'd like see us bring in congestion charge within canal too, amount of single people occupied cars going through city every day, with all the bike tech now one person in big metal box is shouldn't be how people commute in a city

However, I'd also like occasional exceptions - for instance, a freelance friend has to drive to and from all the hospitals in Dublin and the surrounding counties in a car loaded down with case files; her annual mileage would prove her case for needing an exception to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭buffalo

However, I'd also like occasional exceptions - for instance, a freelance friend has to drive to and from all the hospitals in Dublin and the surrounding counties in a car loaded down with case files; her annual mileage would prove her case for needing an exception to this.

I drive a lot for work, so I shouldn't have to pay? I can make money thanks to the public road network, and therefore should be exempt from paying more for it?

If there is a charge introduced, her rates to clients should increase to take account for it. Likewise employers should cover costs to delivery drivers, etc.

https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/congestion-charge/discounts-and-exemptions

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

Down with this sort of thing. I've just gotten a 2012 reg car and gone from over €1000 on Motor tax on my old car to to now just €200 per year my new one. I'll take that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

buffalo wrote: »
    I drive a lot for work, so I shouldn't have to pay? I can make money thanks to the public road network, and therefore should be exempt from paying more for it?

If there is a charge introduced, her rates to clients should increase to take account for it. Likewise employers should cover costs to delivery drivers, etc.

We pay more than enough to the revenue in charges on fuel versus your average Joe, Joe. Quid pro quo.

buffalo wrote: »

Nnno. My friend (barely keeping it together financially) is required by work to visit hospitals that have most inconsiderately been put a good distance apart, as well as visiting city centre government departments.

Many people have similar work - freelance reporters who have to drive to different places in Dublin to report on news stories, but are paid only by the word; doctors who have to visit patients - and non-work, like people who bring meals-on-wheels to old and sick people. I'd be up for exemptions to this kind of necessary driving. But commuting, except for the disabled and decrepit, nope.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i'm sure the best idea for a congestion charge would be for a 24 hour period, rather than every time you cross the canal cordon.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,954 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

You'd only have everyone then claiming to be a freelance something or other.

If you want an exemption as travel is essential for their work, you could then be asked to get commercial insurance too

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Nnno. My friend (barely keeping it together financially) is required by work to visit hospitals that have most inconsiderately been put a good distance apart, as well as visiting city centre government departments.

Many people have similar work - freelance reporters who have to drive to different places in Dublin to report on news stories, but are paid only by the word; doctors who have to visit patients - and non-work, like people who bring meals-on-wheels to old and sick people. I'd be up for exemptions to this kind of necessary driving. But commuting, except for the disabled and decrepit, nope.

Hospitals that have inconsiderately been put a good distance apart? I hope that my sarcasm detector is broken and that you ain't serious!

Weepsie wrote: »
    You'd only have everyone then claiming to be a freelance something or other.

If you want an exemption as travel is essential for their work, you could then be asked to get commercial insurance too

People mostly don't pretend; anyway, people could produce their mileage, tax receipts, etc as proof.
    Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    Hospitals that have inconsiderately been put a good distance apart? I hope that my sarcasm detector is broken and that you ain't serious!

It is and I ain't.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

People mostly don't pretend; anyway, people could produce their mileage, tax receipts, etc as proof.

That's just adding a layer of bureaucracy. Who is going to decide on what qualifies for an exemption? Who is going to check all those receipts?

If you need to pay a congestion charge, you pass that cost on. Yes, some activities will no longer be economically viable if a charge is introduced. Marginal delivery services might go. Some people will change how they do business to reduce their exposure to the charge. That's what it means to make something less attractive as an option.

• Advertisement

RayCun wrote: »
    That's just adding a layer of bureaucracy. Who is going to decide on what qualifies for an exemption? Who is going to check all those receipts?

Not rocket science. Certain professions and conditions could apply for an orange sticker. People who apply frivolously could be penalised.

First thing would be to get rid of the free or ludicrously symbolic (€200 a year!) 7,000 parking spaces for public servants.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭buffalo

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

Also when yuou tax anything on cars its not meant be fair, its meant to 1 pay for the intangible negatives of cars and motorised vechicles 2 Pay towards missing these co2 targets.

To confirm a congestion charge would only apply once a day, just like the english version.

If London is a case then it will only have a small effect on traffic flow, but it should then give budget to improve other modes of transport

• Registered Users Posts: 24,964 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Red light breaking cyclist just pulled over by a Garda in Whitehall. Great to see. (He broke the lights while the marked Garda car was at the top of the queue).

Red light breaking cyclist just pulled over by a Garda in Whitehall. Great to see. (He broke the lights while the marked Garda car was at the top of the queue).

On the other hand, I was pulled in and prosecuted for going through a red light years ago; it was in a place where someone had attempted to mug me a week earlier…

that'd make an interesting thread. cyclist confessions (of being caught both on the bike and in the car).
    i once got pulled in for running a red. the ironic thing was the reason i ran it was there was a car right on my bumper and i made a snap decision not to brake as he'd probably end up rear ending me. turns out it was a cop car. that ended up just being a 'show your licence and insurance at your local garda station' job, no further penalty.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

I stopped on an amber with a white van behind me this morning. We both waited for the green...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

cdaly_ wrote: »
    I stopped on an amber with a white van behind me this morning. We both waited for the green...

Post reported for trolling :pac:

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,711 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

cdaly_ wrote: »
    Yeah but the white van only waited 'cos you were in his way....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

^^^ I suspect so...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement