Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jan and Klodi's Party Bus - part II **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,143 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

I never realised there was motive behind it, I just thought the owner was inconsiderate.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,964 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I never realised there was motive behind it, I just thought the owner was inconsiderate.
    The owner has a grievance dating back to the road widening about 15/20 years ago. In protest he leaves vehicles on what he believes was/is his property to highlight his case. The Gardai don't wish to 'take the bait' as such as his dispute is with FCC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

There are cars permanently parked in the cycle track on the R132 at Fosterstown in Swords (outside the breakers yard) for years now. One time I asked a couple of Gardai who happened to be in the vicinity about it and the reply I got was that the scrapyard owner put them there as he wanted them towed away so the Gardai weren't going to give in to him!

(I also realise that there is a long time legal dispute going on there).

This seems odd. Surely they'd have scrap value that the Gardaí could claim, not to mention the normal fine for leaving an untaxed car on the road, etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,964 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Chuchote wrote: »
    This seems odd. Surely they'd have scrap value that the Gardaí could claim, not to mention the normal fine for leaving an untaxed car on the road, etc?
    I'd say it's a can of worms that the Gardai don't wish to open (re-open). Some of the vehicles don't have reg plates so it would be difficult to establish ownership. Scrap value would be negligible and it would cost the state more to tow away/store vehicles that aren't going to be claimed.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,539 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I have vague recollections of this story, whereby everyone knows he put them there but since there is no documentation, he just denies it or he claims when it is brought up that they are not his. Something along the lines of really stupid sh1t where by he should have been done for littering but so far they have not proven he is the one to have littered.

• Advertisement

I'd say it's a can of worms that the Gardai don't wish to open (re-open). Some of the vehicles don't have reg plates so it would be difficult to establish ownership. Scrap value would be negligible and it would cost the state more to tow away/store vehicles that aren't going to be claimed.

How much does it cost to tow away a car and bring it to the pound, and what's the law on this - how long before a towed car is sold or scrapped if it's not claimed?

(When I scrapped my car, Leo's of Arklow came to Dublin and drove it away and paid me scrap value according to its weight, which was 3 tons.)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Went through the whole length of Dunsink Lane this morning. Jaysus, I never had such overwhelming I-just-want-to-get-the-feck-out-of-here feeling in my cycling career. The dodgiest of the dodgy...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,954 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Alek wrote: »
    Went through the whole length of Dunsink Lane this morning. Jaysus, I never had such overwhelming I-just-want-to-get-the-feck-out-of-here feeling in my cycling career. The dodgiest of the dodgy...

When street view doesn't go there, you know it might be a bit suspect

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

I cycled it not too long ago. Didn't think it was bad.

Raam wrote: »
    I cycled it not too long ago. Didn't think it was bad.

There are 2 separate parts are there not? Inaccesible from one another

• Advertisement

River Road is nice.

The "fun" part starts further on, past the blockade...

The "fun" part starts further on, past the blockade...

Ah ok, I turned back. Didn't think you could get through.

Raam wrote: »

Oh that bit should be okay. The other side however is a bit dodgy. Possibly why they blocked the lane in the middle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I thought it's closed off at the N3 end so it's dead end? Before it was closed off I used to drive from the N3 to Finglas side occasionally, and yes, it's as you say. You spend the whole length of the road driving around rubbish, rubble and scrap piles.

Its blocked in the middle, but you can easily portage your bike over.

But don't do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

yeah its dirty as and worse on other side contrast to the start of it in castleknock,

Pity as that observatory is quiet historic.

manafana wrote: »
    Pity as that observatory is quiet historic.

It's very underutilised too given it's history, it really should be made more of a tourist and educational attraction (apart from attracting the type of asshole who had tried to burn it down in the past) and factor in Broombridge just down from it where that lad Hamilton figured out his sums.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

I was talking to someone about that road some time back and ended up having a look on satellite view. If anyone else treated the environment like that there would be an outcry. The authorities have abandoned all responsibility for that area, it looks like something out of Mad Max.

Of course I'm a settled, middle-class male; so it's probably my fault...

• Advertisement

Well I've read that the residents there have claimed that it's not them doing it, but people (I abhor the term 'settled' to describe someone who's not a traveller) using it as an unofficial dump.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,615 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Chuchote wrote: »
    (When I scrapped my car, Leo's of Arklow came to Dublin and drove it away and paid me scrap value according to its weight, which was 3 tons.)
    are you a tank driver?

something out of Mad Max

Tru dat.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭buffalo

ThisRegard wrote: »
    It's very underutilised too given it's history, it really should be made more of a tourist and educational attraction (apart from attracting the type of asshole who had tried to burn it down in the past) and factor in Broombridge just down from it where that lad Hamilton figured out his sums.

You mean...

Well, that's a different way to teach the history of mathematics/physics, might be on to something for the youtube generaiton!

[how do you even find such a thing?!]

Sense has prevailed. The woman who got injured in Wicklow, and was so severely injured that she didn't stop at any of the 6 or so hospital or clinics but waited til she got back to Swords has had her €40,000 claim reward overturned.

It was a ludicrous decision in the first instance.

http://www.thejournal.ie/hillwalker-compensation-wicklow-overturned-3244946-Feb2017/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,615 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i was kinda surprised it was completely quashed.

are you a tank driver?

I am not. I don't drive now.

Cars are surprisingly heavy http://cars.lovetoknow.com/List_of_Car_Weights

Tanks weigh about 60 tons.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

Weepsie wrote: »
    Sense has prevailed. The woman who got injured in Wicklow, and was so severely injured that she didn't stop at any of the 6 or so hospital or clinics but waited til she got back to Swords has had her €40,000 claim reward overturned.

It was a ludicrous decision in the first instance.

http://www.thejournal.ie/hillwalker-compensation-wicklow-overturned-3244946-Feb2017/

alot those claims are a farce, especially one out on a wild trail, and theirs always on going pain and this and that. Glad it won out as it would ruined walking for so many, its like me suing council if i crash because of rough road surface.

• Advertisement

manafana wrote: »
    alot those claims are a farce, especially one out on a wild trail, and theirs always on going pain and this and that. Glad it won out as it would ruined walking for so many, its like me suing council if i crash because of rough road surface.

Which you're perfectly entitled to do if that rough road surface is dangerous because the council has mended it incompetently.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement