Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jan and Klodi's Party Bus - part II **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

Living near a railway line we get them, not in the house, but in the area. They don't even run from humans any more.

There was one time there was one on the path up to the train station which wouldn't move... until I stepped on it. I wasn't looking at the ground. It squeaked. I jumped. It ran.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

I have cats that are well versed in catching rats. And then abandoning them, still alive, to take up their complaints with the humans of the house. I can lend the cats out to anyone interested. And you can keep them afterwards.

As a kid we used to use bear traps to catch rats. Nasty things those traps. Unfortunately, wherever my brothers got them from they were invariably knackered, the jaws never closed properly and instead of instantly killing the rats they just filled them with pain and righteous anger.

I still remember one brother deciding to go out with a hurley to finish off one rat that had been wrestling with one of the traps for an hour or more. The kindest thing I could say was that he thought better of the idea once he got close enough to the rat, who seemed keen to take that moment to lodge a stern complaint. Fastest I ever saw anyone make the short distance from the end of the garden to the kitchen, he may even have forgotten to open the door before entering.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

We still have the two cats referred to by doozerie in this epic post, http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2056767318/33/#post101715647

They've since been joined by a female cat, whose hunting prowess has been limited to worms so far. She'd be no match for a rat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Two in my garage lately. Shat all over my classic car's engine bay and roof. Killed first one. Second was dying as I walked into garage one day and I ****in stood on him. Burned those slippers. This one managed to chew through my ignition leads. ****ing hate rats. I could hear them in the garage walls scratching away. Dying hopefully.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

doozerie wrote: »
    I have cats that are well versed in catching rats. And then abandoning them, still alive, to take up their complaints with the humans of the house.

Our older tom usually just brings us the head, whether its rats, mice, magpies, pigeons, frogs or whatever else. We've a small Jack Russel type dog too, I expect the cat to present us with its head any day now.

Worst rat issue we had was the shop next door laying poison and having a rat crawl somewhere under my floorboards to die an decay. The stench was phenomenal and I lifted most of the boards trying to find it (never did). Also lots of drilling, anyone ever wants to borrow an endoscope to look into their wall or floor spaces let me know. Then as the stench passed its peak and subsided the swarms of bluebottles hit, and we had a few Amittyville horror weeks.

tldr; Traps good, cats good, pitchforks and baseball bats good, poison bad.

• Advertisement

Lumen wrote: »
    I expect Irish planners will embrace them shortly before the heat death of the universe.

Google may help them there

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

tomasrojo wrote: »
    When I can afford it, I'll get solar panels. Nice south-facing roof waiting for them. No idea when I'll have the money though.

Something to bear in mind if going with solar panels to heat water is that you'll need a sizeable water tank. Ours is over 300L capacity from what I remember and its significant insulation adds to the space it consumes. Factor in the additional pipework needed too and you may find space running out in your hot press very quickly. Our house has quite a big hot press, the previous traditional copper tank in there left a lot of storage space, but following the install of the solar panel + tank + pipework + controller (+ motorised valves for a zoned heating system), there is little or no space remaining for storage.

Also, there is a small-ish radiator, and some other bits and pieces, installed in the attic, I believe it's to shed excess heat from the system should the need arise. So you lose some usable space in your attic too. Just thinking aloud, I suspect that may also make adequate ventilation in the attic space more important.

These haven't detracted from the benefits to us of having the solar panels though, overall we've been very happy with the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I was thinking of going with photovoltaic panels and some sort of battery storage, rather than the solar collectors. But I haven't thought it through in any detail, as the money to buy it remains in the realm of the hypothetical.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,858 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

a colleague recently built a house that has every trick possible in terms of efficiency - but she was telling another colleague that in hindsight, they should have put the air to water heating system further from the house, it sounds like an air conditioning unit.

tomasrojo wrote: »
    I was thinking of going with photovoltaic panels and some sort of battery storage, rather than the solar collectors. But I haven't thought it through in any detail, as the money to buy it remains in the realm of the hypothetical.

The Tesla Powerwall looks attractive but expensive. I'm not convinced that it would ever really pay for itself, and is possibly more desirable than practical. I suppose if you had a Tesla car to go with it and it was charging the batteries it might make more sense. Certainly using solar charged batteries to produce energy for heating is hugely inefficient.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

They basically are air conditioning units aren't they? I saw a picture of a current development in Dublin and they all have them attached to the rear walls. It's something that would bug the crap out of me I think, the constant drone from all the houses on the block. In fairness though I believe the noise greatly varies and depends on the unit/how it's installed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

think i lived in an apartment that had one, took me a good few nights to get used to it, messed with my head

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Solar is something I'm considering. I've just accepted a new job which will be starting in 6 weeks, the career direction I want but it means I'll no longer be working for an electricity provider which in turn means I'll have to pay consumer rates :( Staff discount will be removed

I can't go back to paying electricity bills. My bills were €160 every 2 months with discount for DD and ebilling now I'm paying €80 for two months :pac::mad::mad:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,600 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

If you can afford the outlay, and all the credits that Nameless Phil mentioned, go for it. Just don't cheap out on it. Do a good job the first time and get the best out of it for a long time, it will pay for itself in a reasonably short time.

The main change I would make would make if doing ti again, would be more panels. I was convinced that the mumber I got was sufficient, and it is, but during the winter time, I think more tubes would have made more sense, and paid for themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

My wife tells me, that Stephen Roche is on RTE 1, now.
    "Today"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Had to stay at home with a sinus infection today but I couldn't help notice that the winter cycling gear I put away last week was back on the washing line (actually a clothes horse) today...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,858 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

so much for getting out during that unexpectedly nice afternoon. lay down on the sofa, woke over an hour and a half later, just after half four.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Raced sat and 85 brisk Kms yesterday and today am pooped....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

RobFowl wrote: »
    Raced sat and 85 brisk Kms yesterday and today am pooped....

Fair play.

I'd say the seas were rough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Fair play.

I'd say the seas were rough.

https://youtu.be/TxR-D913Ktc

All local sea swimmers, the age of swimmers shown is pretty representative.
    A lot of them in 365 days of the year once seas not too rough.

One way of reducing faff of putting on winter gear!

• Advertisement

ford2600 wrote: »
    https://youtu.be/TxR-D913Ktc

All local sea swimmers, the age of swimmers shown is pretty representative.
    A lot of them in 365 days of the year once seas not too rough.

One way of reducing faff of putting on winter gear!

My older daughter(17) swims all year round including a regular dawn swim from Greystones. Haven't been for a Winter swim for years myself but have said if she's going out Paddy's day I'll join her. If I run up the beach afterwards and then cycle home, am I at risk of getting labelled a triathlete? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

smacl wrote: »
    My older daughter(17) swims all year round including a regular dawn swim from Greystones. Haven't been for a Winter swim for years myself but have said if she's going out Paddy's day I'll join her. If I run up the beach afterwards and then cycle home, am I at risk of getting labelled a triathlete? :)

There are some younger women doing it to but not that many; mainly people north of 55/60.

The strongest swimmer there is in her 30's channel swimmer/multiple ice mile swims etc etc. One of sports where women outperform men, I think from memory it kicks in around the 10km mark.

a friend of mine has taken up sea swimming at greystones. cruciate ligament injury means his exercise options are limited.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Gardaí are offering free engraving of bikes this morning at Castleknock Station (in conjunction with Iarnród Éireann so I assume this is train station) from 7am to 10am.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Fian

More news on mechanical doping.

This time it is marathon running, not cycling

O.o

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2017/mar/07/iaaf-investigation-concerns-springs-running-shoes-marathon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

there's always one problem in the 'they didn't get this one!' approach is that they by definition can't tell you if any got past them.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

:pac:

411189.PNG

• Registered Users Posts: 8,065 ✭✭✭buffalo

Love this photo:

56%20SPORT%20AFP_ML6Z6.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

For once I agree with Kimmage at weekend disgraceful lack of coverage of both Irish successes in France this week, while more than happy to cover any and every doping angle.

Football meanwhile has its doping issues pushed aside.

How annoying that a media mostly unwilling to cover actual cycling are more than happy to jump on a scandal however, suppose the fact lance armstrong stories get hits/listens doesnt help.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement