Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards.ie Golf Society - Captains Prize, 19th Sept, 2pm, Fota Island, Deerpark Course

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,824 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

RoadRunner wrote: »
    but apparently yourself and fixie think my memory isn't top notch or something, don't recall exactly :)

you played golf on Saturday.... remember that? It was in Cork, there was 18 holes, you hit the ball a few times :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

tumblr_mt1dateK5u1qleraio7_250.gif

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

I don't remember the pizza!! I got the green goo cause i had a heartburn, no point in taking rennies when you can use alcohol to do the same thing - win win situation!! Washing it down with a pint of JD and coke didn't help though!!

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭bobster453

charlieIRL wrote: »
    I don't remember the pizza!! I got the green goo cause i had a heartburn, no point in taking rennies when you can use alcohol to do the same thing - win win situation!! Washing it down with a pint of JD and coke didn't help though!!

Green goo??..vomit or p##s?..either way shades of The Exorcist come to mind

https://youtu.be/8QjrBjdb2T8

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

Wow! Was a gruelling but enjoyable weekend.

Genuinely had aspirations of successfully defending - especially off 20 - believe I'm a better golfer than that but you have to actually go out and shoot the scores to prove it.

Hopefully this will be the catalyst to improve again significantly. If I'm off 20 for next year's captain's Fix has permission - not that he needs it - to call me a bandit. Probably need to be off 22 to have a chance ;):pac::p

Thanks to Athlone99 and Ballyk for the good company. If Ballyk's driving was working as well as his 56 degree he could have had his hands on the exceptional prize - enjoy looking up at that dwd - well done! Poor shauna - Rory's ball was within reach but just cruelly snatched away :pac:

It's been a great year with great courses. Well done again to Seve and all the committee for the sterling work all year.

My highlight of the day was the peanut Yorkie. Peanuts......pure class Seve :D

Great craic on the night out afterwards as always. My strike rate is better off the course and my game is certainly a lot sharper :pac:

Not sure telling people what kind of a society we're in is the best idea though - what you're all just randomers off the internet - got to love that wonderful Cork wit :p

Others just don't seem to understand that we just can't get enough golf through conventional means - we have a problem - but at least it's a collective one and it's fun :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭recycled

Getting into the spirit of the occassion we started on the friday with a four ball at Cobh GC. Mighty day Sun shinning and great craic for €20 (2 good short game players Terry and Paul and James hitting the drive a country mile, he had 41 points) I was playing rubbish. I was expecting more of the same next day, but was wired with excitement, this was the first Captins event I was able to make and I knew who I was going to be playing with (good man Seve) so all good.

The golf venue and occasion brillant. From the meet and greet by the captatins and the catch up chats with the other boardies, I was on on a high. I had forgotten all about the day before when it came to drive off.

It was a day of t 2 halves > fun & frolics.
    The first half was the golf .
    The golf started off steady, and the company of princes poppy , tigerwood1 and Doublecross kept me going. This is why society golf is so different to club golf, in my opinion.
    I managed to keep it going and was delighted to finish before the lights went out. We all managed to clear the back 9 in good time.
    The princess started off strong, but found a few bunkers along the way which held her score back. Great strength of character though, kept it going to the 18thicon14.png
    Tigerwood1 was on the left on the second about 190yds, hit an iron through the branches on to the green, I'm thinking here we go the Tiger is back. The putts did not drop on the day for him.
    This was my first time playing with doublecross. He started off with so many putts just lipping the holes on the front 9. On the back 9 he got the line and they stared to drop, he played unreal golf, great to watch. He held the LD for about 5 mins until fix hit off with his wedge to pass him out.
    I played my best golf for a while on such an occasion was unreal for me. We been blessed with the weather this year and to have the sun and dry for the Captains day it was the icing on the cake.

Second half frolics.
    Pints galore for the lads, I'm on the orange at the moment. Deep south got the ball rolling, round two the office , where Fix set up a temporary tee box, that frustrated everyone trying to hit a bubble. The harder you tried the worst it got. The shapes that were made at address to hit the bubble ,you would not see at Augusta. Ex -Capt stuck out the chest and a big swing, fresh air shot like us all. Great craic to watch. 3 putt took the spoils, he was the only one to hit the bubble -all of 3 inchs.icon12.png
    Reardens here we go, more orange and more chats. Spacecote is king of the dance alright , unreal moves. No wonder his swing is so smooth. Fix was still chasing birdies for pints to fill the card for Seve ha ha. icon10.png
    Charlie said he was acting the "Langer" all night, smile for the camera. Athlone99 thought Cork had the cheapest pints ever (we love u 2) SSbob who I fancied to win the Captains said his driver left him down but he putted well. ( the day before it was the opposite). Post punk had the opposite he got his driver working but the putts didn't drop.
    The night was a chance to chat with lads I had not met before, other then chatting with the ususal suspects who stay after each outing. Time flys when your having fun, we had to leave so I bailed for home for my cocoa. icon6.png

My thanks to Paulos54 for the company through out the year on these long jouneys and these intimate trips away ( I'm blushing).icon12.pngicon10.png We got to play some great courses.

The back ground committee in essence are the foot soldiers who make things happen. My thanks for another great year to ye all(see ye in ballybunion), icon6.png
    good luck to Ballyk your new recruit.

The Captains since I joined, Pistol, Charile and Seve have had a very positive influence in shaping the society to what it is today. Each Captain brought their own style, and put in the time that these society demand.
    I thank Seve for his organisation skiills which was great travelling to a tee time. When the time comes I know we are in safe hands when Graffix takes over and I wish him all the best.icon14.png

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭athlone99

i'm just about recovered from saturday night! The less said about my round the better, shocking! Ended the company with the big easy and ballyk who was unlucky on a few holes a couple of scratches killed his score!

My memory of the wee hours of saturday night is very sketchy! havent been that hungover in a long long time! I blame Shauna for saying lets start on the Jameson! Cheers to the Locals for a great night!

Cheers to Seve and the committee for a great year with my highlight being the round of my life so far in tullamore! looking forward to next year and hopefully more consistent golf!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

Only just about recovered from Saturday and now i'm sitting here with a limsip in one had and packet of strepsils in the other!

What can i say about Saturday, would be lying if i said i wasnt disappointed at getting pipped at the post for that unbelievable prize but hey that sport and fair play to dwd on a class back nine!! I started off on the 1st with a bladed 9 iron from 110m through the green, a chip back that wasnt much better and then 2 putts for a bad bogie and though to myself, oh no another bad day's golf at boards outing!! Thankfully i steadied the ship and played consistent golf for the round, nothing spectacular but managed to keep the big numbers off the card for a change. Only bad hole I had was a 7 on the 8th, poor course management trying to go for green in 2 from a bad stance on edge of bunker, turns out it was a par 5 for me and I had a shot!!! didnt realise that until the 9th tee box, oh what could have been!! haha but as i said thats golf, ya win some, ya loose some :)

Had a lovely round with dwd, barnaboy and mafc...felt like there was a winner in our group after 9 with 21,20,20 and 18 pts, who'd have guessed though dwd would shoot level par back to go 18+23 to win!! Class golf altogether. Barnaboy could of had an exceptional score if it wasnt for a stone cold putter. Mafc had a great front 9 especially when he started using his 2nd driver off the tee and the deck!! unfortunately for him wheels came off a bit on back 9. Great few hours with the lads though on a savage course in the perfect weather conditions, sure what more could ya ask for.

So with the golf it was time to show the visitors what a great night can be had in the rebel county!! Started with 1 in the river lee with the posh boys :P Things didnt go to plan when we got to deep south but thankfully sober lane was there to fill our glasses :) Plenty of great chats were had and longest drive contest was one of the highlight of the night (i vaguely remember ballyk taking videos, they should be fun too look at now). The biggest laugh i got that night was from none other that the biggest messer on boards our own FixdePitchmark, I stood up to the tee box (a stool), took my stance and was ready to pull the trigger, when fix pulls up another stool and moves the ball forward!! :') Going to play off the whites next year to avoid all this slagging and beat ye at ye're own game :p
    On to Reardans then, no better place to finish up in cork and I dont care what athlone says the whiskey was all his idea, sure he started on it before we ever left fota!! Had a two day hangover after it!! never again :p I missed out on the green goo but sounds like it was for the better

So thats my rant over with after my last outing of the year. Thanks to Seve and the committee for a great year, best prizes I've seen at a golf competition never mind in a society. Best of luck to all the lads playing in the Jug, i'll cheer ye on from Cardiff, wish I could have played but unfortunately not to be this time. Best of luck to golfgraffix in his new role next year, big shoes to fill but i'm sure it will be as good of a year as this one gone. Thanks to all the lads for giving me such a warm welcome :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

As always a great day, lots of fun on a really great course and like normal really well organised.

Some really good and really bad golf in our group, my driver desterted me on the front nine, only managed a measly 11 points but scrambled to an 18 on the back without hitting one good shot. Great company with Fix, Charlie and Paulos.

Had great fun on the night out, not normally a big drinker but it seemed rude not to join in a get toasted. First time I have ever been called a wimp for drinking straight JD (thanks Shauna !) Hit the hay at 4.15, I think robbing Seve's last slice of pizza saved me from a really bad hangover, was nearly tempted to join Charlie on the green stuff but opted for a rennie instead.

Great job on the year Seve (and commitee), big boots for me to fill next year ! Not sure how I can top your prize? I better start working on it soon.

Looking forward to Ryder Jug in a few weeks, looking at the team from top to bottom it looks mighty strong.

J

• Registered Users Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

emmmmmm.

Don't think videos will play a role. :eek::eek::o:D
    Again - you had to be there.

Asked ballon maker (maybe artist) to make a golf club , I think that last time he made one, was 1986 - as it was persimmon and all. He didn't get it when I said - what flex is the shaft and does he do fittings.

Sorry Shauna, couldn't resist - particularly after The Big Tee Debate all year at every outing. Fair play - you took it well. That game was class - I am brining it out for the Christmas market - :D - lol.

Back to Roadrunner.

Sorry for the joking earlier.

That is actually heart breaking to lose by that much. Isn't even a shot in a way - it is even other shots by others.

Played with you Roadrunner this year - and as you said to me at 3 am , you have everything and are a better golfer than me :D
    Some golf this year - your trip to South America cost you. Maybe not, you could look back at 100s of shots over the year - the margins are so small. Loved the story of the throwing stones with your dad - good Northsider. Was a bit shocked you couldn't tell me the hole - never mind distance and club on Birdie hole / holes. .

But as you said - should be proud of your year.

Honourable mention for 3 putt too - who has improved a lot as a golfer. He loves the society and this game. He was there or there abouts all year and has a great ability to win on back 9 :) - I lost about 150 point to him on countback.

Recycled - thanks for looking after us all , got to see your swing all day , great stuff, very contolled and great speed.

Lads - looks like as golfers , we are actually improving, maybe not speeding up :P - but improving.

I wasn't that bad this year on the slow play - so give us a break.

Again - see you at jug. Ballons , green slime and pizza at the ready.

By the way, Shauna is right - was all a bit fancy and precious staying at The River Lee , we need to harden up a bit as a team.

• Advertisement

Speaking of last shots Roadrunner, my last shot was a birdie putt on 18 - which I got and cost you GOTY as we both finished on the same points and i had the better back 9.

Your welcome Seve!!!!

actually its wasn't me who pipped you roadruner!! Phew!!

Target moved to someone else's back................

Few from saturday, haven;t got around to processing the other course ones.......

12019771_10152988543826901_6355431903741895091_n.jpg?oh=17d769a8116b20d6ff39ef530d766b8a&oe=56A83008
    12036943_10152988543891901_1343782256227550559_n.jpg?oh=0a021ce670213070c239128d3c826e91&oe=56690510
    12009779_10152988543746901_5921690399663431679_n.jpg?oh=7bcfe231279d063f3bb88fa457f48e64&oe=565E381C

Here you have it, the official results sheet for our last outing of the year. Let the analysis commence :D... If's and buts!

Well done once again to dwd and all the prize winners at this event and all during the year. I hope you all managed to pick something up, even if it was just a picky out, there were loads of them last Saturday so hopefully one for everybody in the audience!

I forgot to thank Bobster for the massive bottle of Champagne. We might bring it along to the jug for a proper celebration :)

21622842595_87e9e62117_b.jpg

actually its wasn't me who pipped you roadruner!! Phew!!

Target moved to someone else's back................

no, you pipped me... if you had of missed, it would have gotten me an extra 6 points..... thankfully I didn't need them!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

20150919_134526.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Ben1977

Just a few thank you's to start with. Thanks to SeveOB for all his hard work over the year. Thanks to Ciaranra and ssbob for their company on a very enjoyable round. Thanks to all the new comers to the society, I've only met a few but you have all have added to the society.
    Congrats to DWD on his capts win. Congrats also to SeveOB on the GOTY.
    Welcome to our new Capt GolfGraffix.
    Fota was a perfect course for a capts prize. If anyone has found my alignment on the course please return it, it should be close to Keano's 7ir! No matter how bad I play golf I always try to remember that it's a game and I'm luck to be able to play it.
    Last but not least big thanks to Barnaboy for the company on the trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,340 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Seve OB wrote: »
    Here you have it, the official results sheet for our last outing of the year. Let the analysis commence :D... If's and buts!

Well done once again to dwd and all the prize winners at this event and all during the year. I hope you all managed to pick something up, even if it was just a picky out, there were loads of them last Saturday so hopefully one for everybody in the audience!

I forgot to thank Bobster for the massive bottle of Champagne. We might bring it along to the jug for a proper celebration :)

21622842595_87e9e62117_b.jpg

Great excitement for the final places. Just throwing a quick eye over it, 3 of the bottom 4 look like they might have missed out with recycled,shauna and dwd moving in...

-edit-

God very tight actually.

FDP and doublecross to finish on the same points i think. Shauna and ballyk the same as well and only 3 points behind fdp and doublecross. with recycled and dwd jumping all 4 of them. it's so tight top to bottom

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭ballyk

shaunac93 wrote: »
    Only just about recovered from Saturday and now i'm sitting here with a limsip in one had and packet of strepsils in the other!

What can i say about Saturday, would be lying if i said i wasnt disappointed at getting pipped at the post for that unbelievable prize but hey that sport and fair play to dwd on a class back nine!! I started off on the 1st with a bladed 9 iron from 110m through the green, a chip back that wasnt much better and then 2 putts for a bad bogie and though to myself, oh no another bad day's golf at boards outing!! Thankfully i steadied the ship and played consistent golf for the round, nothing spectacular but managed to keep the big numbers off the card for a change. Only bad hole I had was a 7 on the 8th, poor course management trying to go for green in 2 from a bad stance on edge of bunker, turns out it was a par 5 for me and I had a shot!!! didnt realise that until the 9th tee box, oh what could have been!! haha but as i said thats golf, ya win some, ya loose some :)

Had a lovely round with dwd, barnaboy and mafc...felt like there was a winner in our group after 9 with 21,20,20 and 18 pts, who'd have guessed though dwd would shoot level par back to go 18+23 to win!! Class golf altogether. Barnaboy could of had an exceptional score if it wasnt for a stone cold putter. Mafc had a great front 9 especially when he started using his 2nd driver off the tee and the deck!! unfortunately for him wheels came off a bit on back 9. Great few hours with the lads though on a savage course in the perfect weather conditions, sure what more could ya ask for.

So with the golf it was time to show the visitors what a great night can be had in the rebel county!! Started with 1 in the river lee with the posh boys :P Things didnt go to plan when we got to deep south but thankfully sober lane was there to fill our glasses :) Plenty of great chats were had and longest drive contest was one of the highlight of the night (i vaguely remember ballyk taking videos, they should be fun too look at now). The biggest laugh i got that night was from none other that the biggest messer on boards our own FixdePitchmark, I stood up to the tee box (a stool), took my stance and was ready to pull the trigger, when fix pulls up another stool and moves the ball forward!! :') Going to play off the whites next year to avoid all this slagging and beat ye at ye're own game :p
    On to Reardans then, no better place to finish up in cork and I dont care what athlone says the whiskey was all his idea, sure he started on it before we ever left fota!! Had a two day hangover after it!! never again :p I missed out on the green goo but sounds like it was for the better

So thats my rant over with after my last outing of the year. Thanks to Seve and the committee for a great year, best prizes I've seen at a golf competition never mind in a society. Best of luck to all the lads playing in the Jug, i'll cheer ye on from Cardiff, wish I could have played but unfortunately not to be this time. Best of luck to golfgraffix in his new role next year, big shoes to fill but i'm sure it will be as good of a year as this one gone. Thanks to all the lads for giving me such a warm welcome :)

I do actually have some videos of the infamous long drive contest in Sober Lane but to preserve people's anonymity (and dignity!) I won't post them here! :D

Things didn't go to plan in Cardiff today unfortunately.

ballyk wrote:
    Things didn't go to plan in Cardiff today unfortunately.

No unfortunately the match didn't go well, but still having a great week over here....Irish fans are amazing. One of the highlights was definitely singing the fields of Athenry and the new zeland France game :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Yes Shauna - your team lost in rugby and in golf ;):D

• Advertisement

Yes Shauna - your team lost in rugby and in golf

Thanks for pointing that out so bluntly fixed, if I wasn't sad about it before I am now :p

Advertisement