Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards.ie Golf Society - Captains Prize, 19th Sept, 2pm, Fota Island, Deerpark Course

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Count me in for a practice round even if I am in or out of the team - at the venue if at all possible!!!

Got all my bad golf out of the way last sunday and loads of practice between now and next weekend, hope the weather is as kind as it has been all year.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,825 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

charlieIRL wrote: »
    Count me in for a practice round even if I am in or out of the team - at the venue if at all possible!!!

Got all my bad golf out of the way last sunday and loads of practice between now and next weekend, hope the weather is as kind as it has been all year.

I bumped into an old school buddy the other day who just happens to be a member there :D

Actually, open comp on there today.... we missed that opportunity :(

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭doublecross

Here we go. I crunched a few numbers and it looks like if I can find a win in Fota and Seve finishes no better that 14th, 3put no better than 6th and RoadRunner no better than 8th then I have a chance. I only had the energy to the math on the top 3.

Outside bet on Tigerwoods. Looks like we'll be playing together again. Previous two outings together he's finished 1st and 6th so you never know.

So what's the plan Seve? All out aggression and go for the win or play cagey and try not throw it away ;)

Here we go. I crunched a few numbers and it looks like if I can find a win in Fota and Seve finishes no better that 14th, 3put no better than 6th and RoadRunner no better than 8th then I have a chance. I only had the energy to the math on the top 3.

Outside bet on Tigerwoods. Looks like we'll be playing together again. Previous two outings together he's finished 1st and 6th so you never know.

So what's the plan Seve? All out aggression and go for the win or play cagey and try not throw it away ;)

I go for everything, especially when things are difficult, then just go harder!

did you say somewhere you weren't available for the Ryder Jug?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭doublecross

Seve OB wrote: »
    did you say somewhere you weren't available for the Ryder Jug?

Ya, there's a chance I wont be around. I didn't want to spring it on you at the last minute so thought it was best to rule myself out.

If plans change between now and Fota I might put my hand up for a pick if allowed!

Ya, there's a chance I wont be around. I didn't want to spring it on you at the last minute so thought it was best to rule myself out.

If plans change between now and Fota I might put my hand up for a pick if allowed!

okie dokie, I'll keep you in mind so and won't rule you out just yet :D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,760 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

kieran. wrote: »
    A bit of fun in case anyone who want so see how things may pan out at Fota !!!
    Attachment not found.

You should maybe change it to just usernames ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

kieran. wrote: »
    A bit of fun in case anyone who want so see how things may pan out at Fota !!!
    Attachment not found.

Glad to see I am not the only nerd (I think you made a mistake on Fixes), here is my version but this shows the best and worst scores possible for all the top 10.

So for me if i win i need these guys to be no better than

Seve 12th, 3Putt 6th, Roadrunner 6th, Keano 4th, Charlie 4th, Fix 2nd, DoubleCross can’t catch me if i win, Tigerwood1 2nd.

Its all to play for but if you cannot get to 637 by winning you can't win GOTY as that is the worst case scenario for Seve even if he doesn’t turn up.

I see an error on roadrunners but I am sure you can do the math

J

The reps have no chance with lads this driven about their golf but still just sitting at a computer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

That's cool. There was a minor error in mine I fixed locally. Interesting to see that while 3putt is ahead of both me and keano, he will have to throw away a good next-best score to be able to improve his total in fota.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Unlikely I'll be able to get a game in before Fota sadly, but can't wait for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭3putt

Think I need a top 3 finish at least and seve to finish a fair few places behind. Need to get out and get a bit of practice in as the last 3 rounds I've had over the last couple of weeks have been terrible. Still over a week to go tho and really looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭ballyk

Glad to see I am not the only nerd (I think you made a mistake on Fixes), here is my version but this shows the best and worst scores possible for all the top 10.

So for me if i win i need these guys to be no better than

Seve 12th, 3Putt 6th, Roadrunner 6th, Keano 4th, Charlie 4th, Fix 2nd, DoubleCross can’t catch me if i win, Tigerwood1 2nd.

Its all to play for but if you cannot get to 637 by winning you can't win GOTY as that is the worst case scenario for Seve even if he doesn’t turn up.

I see an error on roadrunners but I am sure you can do the math

J

It's well for you lads working out permutations about winning, the rest of us have enough to do just to qualify for the team! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

ballyk wrote: »
    It's well for you lads working out permutations about winning, the rest of us have enough to do just to qualify for the team! :)

Yep, pretty sure I need to win just to scrape the top 10.

Did I mention what a fantastic golfer, generous, intelligent & handsome captain you are Seve ;)

I'm practicing very hard - as have my own society wrap up this weekend.

Not paying off yet - but trying to peak like a Tour De France cyclist - Blood test may be needed.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Kieran I deleted it for now as I'm not sure everyone wants people knowing their real names.

As for winning I've done nothing in weeks so expect very little

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭dwd

desperate times call for desperate measures! my putting has been woeful over the last couple of weeks, so I'm hoping between this new purchase on adverts and some practice between now and next week and I'll be able shoot a good score and make it into the top 10 :)

I'm practicing very hard - as have my own society wrap up this weekend.

Not paying off yet - but trying to peak like a Tour De France cyclist - Blood test transfusion may be needed.

FYP
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

3putt wrote: »
    Think I need a top 3 finish at least and seve to finish a fair few places behind. Need to get out and get a bit of practice in as the last 3 rounds I've had over the last couple of weeks have been terrible. Still over a week to go tho and really looking forward to it.

3rd will give you 695 points, 6th or worse for Seve will see you pip him. If you do finish 3rd and Seve finshes 6th RRunner and Keano can take you with a second place or Charlie with a win.

J

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭kieran.

Keano wrote: »
    Kieran I deleted it for now as I'm not sure everyone wants people knowing their real names.

As for winning I've done nothing in weeks so expect very little

Spread sheet minus names :cool:
    Golfer of the year premutation table.xlsx

great to see the passion lads.

I'm a bit of a geek myself when it comes to this kind of stuff and had worked out a few numbers. Thought I stuck this up before, but I can't see it!

Minimum requirements to win GOTY

Must Win: Fix, paulos, Golfgraffix, doublecross, tigerwood, recycled.
    At least 3rd: charlieIRL
    At least 5th: Keano, 3putt
    At least 7th: Roadrunner
    I could theoretically win by finishing last! (but I think that is unlikely ie, I will need more points)

Nobody else can possibly win GOTY

My game has gone off the boil a bit of late so to be honest, I don't see a big score in Fota for me. I will take a top 10 and see how it pans out from there

I fancy dwd to move up into a jug spot, I think Golfgraffix has to be favourite for the win, playing well and obviously knows the course. Other than that, I have no idea how it's gonna pan out!!!!

That peak I was hoping for came too early.

Lowest ever round in competition (72) and a hole in 1.

I'd say I'll be useless next week.

Anyway - a story to tell on night out.

I could have also lost a shot for next week too (will inform if have)

By the way hope no one else has drifted > 2 on GUI :P:D

She may let me have a pint tonight.

Hole in 1? Congrats. Spill the beans.

Lowest ever round in competition (72) and a hole in 1.

Brilliant, well done Fix. Move into joint favourite for Fota :D
    Hole in 1? Congrats. Spill the beans.

Looks like he is saving the story for Captains night ;)
    Anyway - a story to tell on night out.

How can you have a hole in 1 and not want to tell everyone?!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭3putt

Well done fixde. best round ever and a hole in one. Great stuff.

He is gonna buy us all a drink you see, and then set the scene for us

Well I tell every other bloody thing. So no harm for once.

Will talk to you next week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭paulos53

If you are still looking for that practice round:
    http://deals.justgolf.ie/deal/cork/druids-glen-resort-sept

Valid Monday-Friday

Advertisement