Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards.ie Golf Society - Captains Prize, 19th Sept, 2pm, Fota Island, Deerpark Course

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

RoadRunner wrote: »
    https://vimeo.com/channels/fotaisland/page:3

Just looked at 13 again. One for the brave. Reminds me of the 9th in corballis. Long, water left and wind helping that way. Alarms going off in my head as I particularly like miss-hiting left :rolleyes:

194 yrds off the whites, will be a good test for NP.

11, at 156 yrds might be a fairer test alright Seve, but hey, its Captains Day, so we should be getting tested

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

194 yrds off the whites, will be a good test for NP.

11, at 156 yrds might be a fairer test alright Seve, but hey, its Captains Day, so we should be getting tested

Driver if the wind is up!!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 11 johnny_cahill

After all my whingeing for a hotel room I've to respectfully decline from outing and hotel due to circumstances beyond my control. Hope you guys have a gr8 day

• Registered Users Posts: 15,824 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

After all my whingeing for a hotel room I've to respectfully decline from outing and hotel due to circumstances beyond my control. Hope you guys have a gr8 day

I've already paid for the hotel out of my own pocket. As it is within the week, we also have to pay full price for the green fee @ fota whether you play or not. I've said this enough times both on threads and at outings.

Unless someone else fills your place, you will have to cough up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭kiers47

While the rest of he are fine tuning yer golf skills this week I'll be fine tuning my drinking skill at the listowel harvest festival. See ye Saturday. It's on.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

kiers47 wrote: »
    While the rest of he are fine tuning yer golf skills this week I'll be fine tuning my drinking skill at the listowel harvest festival. See ye Saturday. It's on.

Taking the relaxed approach.. That could work!!

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭bobster453

Seve OB wrote: »
    I've already paid for the hotel out of my own pocket. As it is within the week, we also have to pay full price for the green fee @ fota whether you play or not. I've said this enough times both on threads and at outings.

Unless someone else fills your place, you will have to cough up.

Well that don't seem right Seve, no way you should be out of pocket either way,something to be looked at for sure imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭kieran.

Just having a look at he scorecard for the course and noted this :-

IMMOVABLE OBSTRUCTIONS

A ball lying within one club length of fixed markers, course furniture, steps, gravel pathways, service roads, sprinkler heads, manhole covers, hydrant boxes, drainage grates, gravel drains, telephone poles and guy wires. Ball may be dropped within one club length of the nearest point of relief not nearer the hole without penalty.

Is this 'within one club length' of the immovable obstruction a local rule or is this the norm? I always thought your play had to be impeded by the immovable obstruction before relief could be sought ?

FYI there's also relief from the wall on crossing the 6th fairway

RELIEF A ball coming to rest within two club lengths of the wall while playing the 6th hole that lies within that section of wall defined by orange stakes may be lifted and dropped not nearer the hole on a line from the pin directly back from where the ball had originally come to rest without penalty.

kieran. wrote: »
    Just having a look at he scorecard for the course and noted this :-

IMMOVABLE OBSTRUCTIONS

A ball lying within one club length of fixed markers, course furniture, steps, gravel pathways, service roads, sprinkler heads, manhole covers, hydrant boxes, drainage grates, gravel drains, telephone poles and guy wires. Ball may be dropped within one club length of the nearest point of relief not nearer the hole without penalty.

Is this 'within one club length' of the immovable obstruction a local rule or is this the norm? I always thought your play had to be impeded by the immovable obstruction before relief could be sought ?

FYI there's also relief from the wall on crossing the 6th fairway

RELIEF A ball coming to rest within two club lengths of the wall while playing the 6th hole that lies within that section of wall defined by orange stakes may be lifted and dropped not nearer the hole on a line from the pin directly back from where the ball had originally come to rest without penalty.

Immovable obstruction has to interfere with either your stance or your swing in order to claim relief.Within one club length imo would not of itself impinge upon this rule as there would be every chance your swing or stance would be interfered with in that distance,the purpose of which is obviously to protect the immovable obstruction and/or the golfer and their equipment.Therefore even if it is a local rule it doesnt impede upon a rule of golf and is perfectly valid.
    Of course a club length can vary depending upon whether you use a sand wedge or a driver to measure but hey thats called using the rules to your advantage.
    However, Rule 24-2 specifically states line of play is of itself not interference so it is down to the player and his opponent whether relief can be taken or not-be plenty of cases where you might have to play back or even sideways rather than forward because of an immovable obstruction.

The second part is definitely imo a breach of a Rule of Golf in that in order to protect a structure..the wall..you may take relief when the ball rests within 2 club lengths of the wall, I fail to see how being within 2 club lengths of anything can interfere with either your stance or your swing.
    It should be noted that the local rules state MAY instead of MUST therefore the choice is with the golfer.. which would most people do I wonder?

http://http://www.randa.org/en/Rules-and-Amateur-Status/Rules-of-Golf.aspx#/rules/?ruleNum=24&subRuleNum=2

bobster453 wrote: »
    The second part is definitely imo a breach of a Rule of Golf in that in order to protect a structure..the wall..you may take relief when the ball rests within 2 club lengths of the wall, I fail to see how being within 2 club lengths of anything can interfere with either your stance or your swing.
    It should be noted that the local rules state MAY instead of MUST therefore the choice is with the golfer.. which would most people do I wonder?

The wall is not big from memory (maybe a couple of feet tall) , but it runs right across the middle of the fairway.

I can't remember does the fairway drop down or jump up after the wall. If it jumps up, well then if you are within 2 club lengths, you have a good chance of hitting the wall with your shot. It doesn't mention that it could interfere with either your stance or swing..... ball flight though could be the reason

My memory from walking around at the Irish Open last year was, wow, that's a bit weird and unfair! So makes sense that there is a local rule to deal with it.

Edit: Actually I might be thinking of the 5th!!

• Advertisement

The wall is not big from memory (maybe a couple of feet tall) , but it runs right across the middle of the fairway.

I can't remember does the fairway drop down or jump up after the wall. If it jumps up, well then if you are within 2 club lengths, you have a good chance of hitting the wall with your shot. It doesn't mention that it could interfere with either your stance or swing..... ball flight though could be the reason

My memory from walking around at the Irish Open last year was, wow, that's a bit weird and unfair! So makes sense that there is a local rule to deal with it.

Edit: Actually I might be thinking of the 5th!!

Still a breach tho imo in that a local rule cant infringe a rule of golf and if your ball rests against the wall you always have the option of using Rule 27-1 re Ball Unplayable where a player has 3 options one of which is where under penalty of 1 stroke a player may go back as far as he/she likes therefore affording them the opportunity to clear the wall with no bother.

Again, imo, this is the preferred route as I still consider within 2 club lengths for a free drop to be a breach of the Rules of Golf.

However I do think that for the sake of clarity a decision should be taken by the committee prior to playing on Saturday and everyone notified on the day so everyone is playing off a level playing field so to speak

However I do think that for the sake of clarity a decision should be taken by the committee prior to playing on Saturday and everyone notified on the day so everyone is playing off a level playing field so to speak

I'm not sure what decision you want made?
    We play the rules of golf as we always do and allow for local rules. We (as far as I know) have never gone and made up our own rules!

We'll have to play by the rules of the course. We can get clarification from the pro shop before we head out. Also note they don't allow mobile phones on the course as well.

charlieIRL wrote: »
    We'll have to play by the rules of the course. We can get clarification from the pro shop before we head out. Also note they don't allow mobile phones on the course as well.

Decision made then..
    Thats live scoring ruled out then

I'm not sure what decision you want made?
    We play the rules of golf as we always do and allow for local rules. We (as far as I know) have never gone and made up our own rules!

Definitely didnt state own rules
    Fair enough re the local rules just thought it might be a bit confusing if some people play by the rules of golf and others play by the local rule is all
    No issue

Decision made then..

Decision made then..

Sure we'll wait and see what they say.

Not too fond of the live scoring myself, as it makes me think about my score too much and if I start staring at a leaderboard, whether I want it to or not, it'll start encroaching on the way I play (i.e. when I've shot 24 points on the front 9 this Saturday, I don't want to know about it, as I'll likely end up shooting a super defensive terrible back 9 trying to protect my score :D & lose the captains prize on a countback)

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭dwd

Not too fond of the live scoring myself, as it makes me think about my score too much and if I start staring at a leaderboard, whether I want it to or not, it'll start encroaching on the way I play (i.e. when I've shot 24 points on the front 9 this Saturday, I don't want to know about it, as I'll likely end up shooting a super defensive terrible back 9 trying to protect my score :D & lose the captains prize on a countback)

I like the optimism :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

I didn't like it at start .

But enjoyed it at event it was used.

Coverage always an issue. But in real Capital hardly an issue in a real capital.

On the phone rule. Most courses even the most upmarket.

It is just lip service.

You'll see members use them in even Top clubs.

• Advertisement

This is from their website.......
    Dress Code for the Golf Course:

Please note that metal spikes are not permitted on the golf course, however, the facility to change to soft spikes is available in the Pro Shop at a rate of €13.00 per pair. Please be advised golf shoes must be worn.

Appropriate golf attire is essential. Denim jeans, collarless shirts and trainers/sneakers are strictly prohibited. Mobile phones are also not permitted on the golf course.

The Resort reserves the right to refuse access to the Clubhouse/Course to anyone dressed inappropriately.

Phones on silent and vibrate turned off!!!

Phones on silent and vibrate turned off!!!

Sure who'd have their phone on while on the golf course. Nothing is more important than golf...

Sure who'd have their phone on while on the golf course. Nothing is more important than golf...

mine generally turned off and left in the car

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Macker1

Whats the story with check-in at hotel. Its going to be late enough with checking in after golf and presentation on Sat with having to spruce up before going out for a few scoops.

Also does to hotel have a safe deposit facility as I need somewhere to hold my prize for Captains Day. :P:P:P:P

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭tigerwood1

Anybody fancy a warmup round tomorrow ?

Macker1 wrote: »
    Whats the story with check-in at hotel. Its going to be late enough with checking in after golf and presentation on Sat with having to spruce up before going out for a few scoops.

Also does to hotel have a safe deposit facility as I need somewhere to hold my prize for Captains Day. :P:P:P:P

Hotel is already paid for and rooms allocated. All you will need to do is go to reception desk and give them your name. They will take a swipe of card for any extras. They should have all the room keys etc ready and waiting.

I'm sure there are safe deposit facilities, it's a 4star hotel so you would imagine so.

I would think as it will be late, best bet is to play quick golf, shower and change in the club after. They will have an area boxed off for us so we can eat there if it suits , probably the most sensible idea so really it will be a drop bags @ hotel and run.

I'm leaving the locals to organise the social activities :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

Seve OB wrote:
    I'm leaving the locals to organise the social activities

I'm trying but ye are very hard please :p

shaunac93 wrote: »
    I'm trying but ye are very hard please :p

You're only a blow in:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Once no on mentions Old oak or that other big yolk to start I'm happy.

Start in a nice old mans bar.

Advertisement