Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards.ie Golf Society - Captains Prize, 19th Sept, 2pm, Fota Island, Deerpark Course

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭bobster453

I am really looking forward to the game tomorrow. Have been playing a lot of golf last few weeks so will either be completly wrecked or in the zone.

To anyone looking in from the sidelines, I am delighted that I took the plunge and joined the society this year. I was himming and hawing for too long. They are a great bunch of lads, very welcoming and not at all intimidating. There really are all sorts of golfers playing so if anyone is perched on my fence, as mr nike says - just do it!!

Thanks in advance to Seve and committee, for what I have no doubt, will ne a great day as always. Thankyou for the welcoming friendly spirit which runs through the group and very much thankyou for all your work

HEAR HEAR, WELL SAID PRINCESS

• Registered Users Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Happy to pitch in on the checking (cheers Fix :D )

Lovely words Poppy, and very true. yourself & shawna breaking down barriers this year!

We're a ragtag bunch, but all with one thing in common, a passion for golf & good company, and there is plenty of that to be found.

And I may not take home the golfing prize tomorrow but I'll be Lord of the dance!!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Night all,

Will be a bit more pressure around first tee tomorrow - particularly as the clock hits 3

Dream of a slow wide back swing - a drop from the top and total speed release to perfectly strike a "brand new white" soft prov 1.

Only a full wedge out Birdie putt.

Easy

-

The reality, :D

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭princess poppy

By jaysus you are in form tonight fix. I hope you keep some mojo for tomorrow

By jaysus you are in form tonight fix. I hope you keep some mojo for tomorrow

Will do - just a bit over excited.

Catch all - be safe.

And if not - you may carry that 246 yard 3 wood over water 1 in 20 times. Tomorrow is the day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

Already ensconced in the real capital, travelled down tonight.

No stone left unturned in title defence :pac::p

Shanked a couple on the range today, all too late now anyway, few beers to relax.

Good luck tomorrow everyone, weather set fair, no excuses, but we'll find a couple anyway just in case :)

We are golfers after all, we leave more on the course than a small forest :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Was disappointed I was never able to make this trip. A course Iv played well on before and really enjoy.

Rugby is my calling this weekend and month. Best of luck to everyone and no doubt an enjoyable day and night will be in store.

Prediction for weekend is that winner will have 40 points and it will be THe BIg EAsy!!!!! :)

Enjoy everybody and look forward to next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,824 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Moaning all.
    Safe travels

Seve OB wrote: »
    Moaning all.
    Safe travels

That a Freudian slip Captain..expect us all to be moaning with excuses or was it just a typo? :)
    Morning to you too..best wishes for today..hope all goes well for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭3putt

Not long now before the road trip starts. Really looking forward to this. Roadrunner dropped the clubs around last night to bring down for him . Might leave them here so that's one I've knocked out of the race so far. Safe travelling everyone.

• Advertisement

bobster453 wrote: »
    That a Freudian slip Captain..expect us all to be moaning with excuses or was it just a typo? :)
    Morning to you too..best wishes for today..hope all goes well for you.

3putt wrote: »
    Not long now before the road trip starts. Really looking forward to this. Roadrunner dropped the clubs around last night to bring down for him . Might leave them here so that's one I've knocked out of the race so far. Safe travelling everyone.

He looks like he picks one person per outing.

If Roadrunner starts talking to you tonight be careful :D

"Where do you live"
    "In a house"
    "Where"
    "Em - Northside"
    "Have you a car"
    "why"
    "Boot any good - just curious".

Moaning all.
    Safe travels

Was just laughing to my self this morning.

We are going to Cork - Lads are going on as if they are going on a cruise to Bermuda.

One lad told me - he is getting there at 9 , champagne with lobster ,
    Checking into river view
    then a hot towel and sleep
    Off for a light swim - finish with 12.5 M sprint
    Then full body hot stone - before a power nap
    Then a little light lunch, horderves and port

Then hit range
    Short game area

15 minutes with peltz - you know, just to get head straight. Port not helping.

Better go the toilet after all that , before tee time.

**** missed tee time

One lad told me - he is getting there at 9 ,

I got here last night :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

My prep involves walking around the city looking happy to be in clothes shops!

What a great day
    Played with SpaceCoyote, TheChamp and Macker1(who shall forever be called Mucker1 after he ate a sod sandwich when he asked me to throw his divot back to him :)
    Great company, course was great and some decent golf played by all at spells especially by TheChamp whose 39 points could and should have been a few more.
    For me I had a figure of 38-39 as my target, ended up with 35, chipping from 10-15yds and short putts let me down..ah well..have all winter to prepare for next year.
    Winning Nearest the Pin was a nice surprise as I just dont win..end of
    My caddy Shane helped me along, needed him today as the left hip decided yet again it was going to flare up today of all days..note to self..bottle of poitin for medicinal purposes urgently required..or hip replacement :)

Great craic in the bar afterwards, my thanks to Seve and the Committee for all their hard work throughout the year, it is really appreciated by all and what a fantastic Society we have, all golf nutters
    Unfortunately work tomorrow gets in the way of pleasure tonight so everyone have a good time, tell lots of tall stories about the ones that got away and stay safe.
    Congrats to DWD, great score after messing up the 1st, and well done to all the prizewinners
    Congrats too to Seve on GOY and all who made the Ryder Jug Team
    Cant wait to shoot a turkey later in the winter with yez, do I bring a gun or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭dwd

Just in the door now, from a great weekend of golf and banter. Fantastic golf course, great company, and to top it off my game came good at exactly the right time and what an amazing first prize.

363099.jpg

A big thanks to my playing partners yesterday, like always on a boards outing, they were great company! We were blessed with the weather, I don't think you could get better conditions for golfing in September.

363100.jpg

Also I have to thanks seve ob and all the members of the committee for the sterling job they did this year in the organisation of all the fantastic events and the prizes to go with them. And finally what an amazing captains prize, literary priceless as you couldn't buy something like it anywhere, which will be displayed in pride off place in my gaff for years to come.

After 22 pints it is hard to get a Roadrunner grilling, on what it takes to be a great golfer..................

On reflection Road - 3 more points. :D

Yesterday was a big day and moment of the Boards Golf Society journey.

It was an end for some, a start for others, a peak for most.

Kieran - DWD - Space and I, had serious concern about the ramping up of the society - The outing standards were ridiculous, the prizes bizarre in brilliance.

God - I wouldn't like to follow.

There is no point in trying to explain blow up balloon golf - you had to be there....................... :D:o:eek::D

We basically have nothing in common - just golf.

3 Putt and I drowned our sorrows on a point we never won in the Ryder Jug yet to be played.

A great part of the night for me - was when Tony said to me -
    "after seeing you hit the ball this year - I've decided to change the grip". :D
    He knew and I knew what that meant to me and him.

So - we better win this bloody thing.

SeveOB will write the history if victorious - History is always in the hands of the winners.

Lads, had a blast this year - thanks a million to all.

I didn't get the old man pub of my dreams - but sometimes you got to finish in the daylight you have.

I'll see you at the Jug - a final hoorah.

What a team - I'd hate to play against them .

A balloon 5 iron and a Dunlop ball - The reps will be gone from the first tee.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,927 ✭✭✭G1032

dwd wrote: »
    Just in the door now, from a great weekend of golf and banter. Fantastic golf course, great company, and to top it off my game came good at exactly the right time and what an amazing first prize.

363099.jpg

A big thanks to my playing partners yesterday, like always on a boards outing, they were great company! We were blessed with the weather, I don't think you could get better conditions for golfing in September.

363100.jpg

Also I have to thanks seve ob and all the members of the committee for the sterling job they did this year in the organisation of all the fantastic events and the prizes to go with them. And finally what an amazing captains prize, literary priceless as you couldn't buy something like it anywhere, which will be displayed in pride off place in my gaff for years to come.

Wow. What an amazing prize to get.
    After golfing for 25 years I haven't played at all for the last 2 years and haven't checked out this forum much in that time either but came on today to see was there any talk of the Solheim Cup and then saw this thread.
    I've never seen a prize like that before. Would absolutely love to win something like it. You'll have it forever and what a thing to be able to hang on the wall.
    Congrats on the win too. Well done and enjoy regaling accounts of how you won that prize!!

Jaysus - everyone very quiet :D
    I think Seve has mentioned we are not to talk about Jug ?

Back to the golf.

As J called it - the final two groups were very very nervous starting - was mad, as it is only society golf, yet the table, build up and banter added something to the day.

Charlie and paulo looked like they were going to give the win a run - Charlie got off to a bad start with his driving - but was scoring and always has a 4 pointer on the way - best shot of the day was an almost eagle lip out wedge at 11 - but the water killed Charlie at the turn. Charlie has seriously improved as a golfer. Great power.

J - had an uncharacteristic day off the tee - but had a remarkable grind it out back 9. J can always pull something out of the bag.

Paulo got unlucky in the dark at losing a ball at 15 - he looked in the mix all day - short game to die for.

There wasn't the usual banter as there was a slight edge.

J gave all an encouraging push, when he seen his chance was gone.

The course is a stunning course - but it seems to have suffered (understandably) with the rain. The bunkers were very short on sand - I still managed to get my 2 best bunker saves of the year from them.

My own game was solid - but started missing short putts (as bad as last year). Not sure why. I did hit some great shots over the day. Was nice to pick up LD and a 2 - particularly in a society of good looking young energetic people. ;)

Even if it was dark at 18 - there was a great atmosphere at the last , was eery , anticipatory, reflective.

There wasn't a golfer there not delighted for Shauna - as we all knew it was coming. What a player - a par on 18 - needed Bird.
    Amazing how many events came down to such small margins.

DWD - nice to see best gross win the event. Solid player.

So another event and still a non winner - very hard , or I'm not good enough - haven't had time to think about that one yet.

The night out was a night out - was a little disappointing when you would look around a see a few that were not there. It was a strange one as you didn't know who would be there until you were there.

One bad point was it was all a bit late. But , It didn't take from it for me.

Catch all at the Jug -
    I actually do love them Dunlop tees (seriously :D)

Serious team - serious golfers missed the team.

By the way - one more thing.

All the speeches were very very good - didn't know lads on the internet can talk well too.. :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Am on my phone now so will write up a proper post in the morning.

Fantastic day out yesterday and a great night out after. From drinking pints to the green pee at 4:30am!!

My round, 10 damm 1 pointers killed off any chance of a top score. 3 birdies made up for some of the bad golf. Getting it all to click is proving difficult!!

Anyways, onwards and upwards to bring the jug home!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

It was a fantastic year. What Seve did this year for the society was remarkable, when I had an idea to kick this thing off years ago little did I know we'd end up in Fota Island and having some serious prizes! Very fitting he won GOTY.

My playing partners all looked like potential winners at one stage. Seve has this ability just to keep going, 3putt will get that win next year and RoadRunner who has only played a handful of times this year...I'd like drive as well as he does! As for myself, I'm again at a crossroads, all the hard work I put in seems to have gone and so has the love for the game. Yet more blind rage and another broken 7i :o I'm going to have work so very hard on the mental side and hopefully help my Jug partner win a point ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

Just home now - shattered - will post properly tomorrow.

Well done all, great weekend :)

I think I am even more shattered today than I was yesterday! I did spend well over an hour in the Jacuzzi, Sauna and Steam room yesterday before I left the hotel to help me wake up though!

Well the weekend started early for me as I headed down Friday to relax, make sure I got to course early, hit some balls at the range. Unfortunately I was like a kid on Christmas eve and I slept feck all. A dip in the pool on Saturday morning and a relax in the hot tub was a nice start to the day, but when I was on the range I didn't feel that I had it in me, I was knackered and just wasn't striking the ball that well.

A ball OB on the first wasn't a good start and with 2 scratches I only had 6 points on the card after 6 holes. 27 points over the next 11 holes (including a couple of 1 pointers) got my confidence back, but playing 18 in the dark wasn't easy and knowing a par would be enough for a great 35 points, I duly lost a ball and scratched, but was still happy with a solid 33 points. I must have left 4, maybe 5 putts in the jaws of the holes out there on Saturday. I found the greens a bit slow and the ball wasn't always travelling as far as I felt it should have been. There was more wind there than I could feel! You aren't going to make all the putts though, but there were a few easy ones and I was mad at missing them. I have really good round in me just bursting to get out......

Highlight of the golfing part of the day for me was on the 17th. It was a hit and hope really as darkness had come in and it was difficult to see. I measured 194 I think to the pin, normally a 4 iron would be comfortable enough to get there, but I wasn't getting the distance on Saturday so struck a 3 sweet as a daisy. I knew it was good, but I couldn't see the result, and didn't believe Roadrunner when he said it was 10 foot away. I was right not to believe him, when I got down to the green I seen it wasn't any more than 7-8 foot away and I slotted the putt for my first ever Boards 2!

Well done do dwd and Shauna on great scores of 41 points. I felt a bit sorry for Shauna as I know she was determined all year to win herself a Rors ball and was really gutted to have come so close. That is of course to take nothing away from dwd, a thoroughly deserving winner and great to see it going to someone who has been involved with the society for a good few years now. Enjoy your prize dwd (I found it hard to part with;)), you earned it and well done. Just make sure you get your name engraved on the trophy and don't forget to bring it back next year! :D

Thanks to my playing partners on the day, 3Putt, Roadrunner and Keano. Keano had one of those days, but there were good signs as always! I think it was only on the 15th when Keano realised GOTY was at stake between us, but we had no idea on what else was going on out there! 3 putt was looking like a winner all the way around and his day will come. Roadrunner was superb but the wheels came off a bit on the back 9. Roadrunner had to come 7th to have a chance on GOTY... he came 8th and there wasn't even a point it... he was pipped on the back 9! With me not improving my points haul by much, 7th would have done it for him, so hard luck Roadrunner. I played with him at the start of last year and knew he had a good game, but my god the lad couldn't putt to save his life. 3 putts were guaranteed, 4 putts were common place and 5 putts were going to be in each round. How he has come on, and (I know he won't remember this:D) he sunk some fabulous putts on Saturday, not least his 20 odd footer from off the green on the 6th for birdie.

Needless to say I was delighted to hold off the charge and pick up the Golfer of the year prize. I've said it to a few of you, but this year I really have played the best golf of my life. Naas was the highlight scorewise and other than that, there were no real blistering scores, just steady consistent golf. Out of about my last 25 rounds, maybe 2 were just less than 30 points and most in between 33-37, and birdies in nearly every single game. So that is a second massive trophy that I've won this year and now to go on and add a 3rd when we play for the Ryder Jug! :pac:

Fota was a class course. I have been keen to play it for years and it was one of those that lived up to expectations. Super condition, great layout, so tough but well designed golf holes and plenty of drama! It will definitely be getting another visit from me sooner rather than later!

Thanks to each and every one of you guys and girls for all your support during the year, for your kind words, your company on the course and at the outings and of course for getting me drunk on Saturday night :D I'm glad you all had such a great year, and don't be to hard on the next guy, I went a little bit mad! I won't be signing off just yet, there is more business to be done in the coming weeks, so well done to all that made the Ryder Jug team and the captains picks, you guys deserve you place after some great golf during the year.

I'm sure I've forgotten something...... but I'll leave it at that for now and will get cracking on the results and final table shortly, so keep your eyes peeled.

Was it 15? I just was thinking Steve isn't going to win today but he's really still trying hard...dope that I am!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Had a good round even while duffing greenside chips all day. Opened with 20pts, and finished with 16. Can't be too disappointed with 36 but it could have been much better. Highlight of the round for me was Seve's excellent 2 on the 17th in darkness. The last few were a particularly difficult set of holes for the last couple of groups. 18 was a bit disaster, multiple balls were flying everywhere. I decided to tee off with 6i to give a chance to see where it went. Trying to get good contact in dim conditions is tricky and after a few bad hits down the fairway and some messing about in trees and looking for balls, I found my ball and needing to hit my 4th shot in at the water surrounded green from 115y out. Seve was busy on my left trying, without luck, to use the light of his phone to find one of his balls in the trees.

This last shot in will probably be the shot I remember most from the year. Looking down at the ball I was actually struggling to accurately judge how far away it was from me. It felt like I was trying to hit a ball with one eye closed. 56 in my hands and scared ****less that I'd either blade it or hit the ground 6 inches before ball, I swung. I got the ball and saw a massive divot. The divot appeared to be going in the right direction. Silence. Listen for water 'plop' sound or 'thud' of ball hitting green. Still listening.... nothing. Was it even still in the air? Had I ac.. THUMP! Pin-high, 10ft right of the flag. That felt good. But the conditions made it a bit of a bittersweet ending for me. Great to play such a nice course, but I need to go back and play it again under better light conditions and without the stress in the group of not being sure we'd be able to finish.

Congrats to both dwd for the win, and Seve for goty. And obviously cheers to everyone involved for a great year. Great craic afterwards!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Speaking of last shots Roadrunner, my last shot was a birdie putt on 18 - which I got and cost you GOTY as we both finished on the same points and i had the better back 9.

Your welcome Seve!!!!

Well technically your last shot was a shot of disgusting looking green gear in a glass at the residents bar at about 4:30am when I got back with pizza and savaged it all by myself. I don't know how or why you would order something like that all I know is I'm glad I pi$$ed in it while you weren't looking I hate you and never want to speak to you aghain..

Ah no seriously nice finish :) No better hole to do it on, that really was some up-and-down scorecard you finished with on the day. If you could have smoothed that out a little you could have taken the (amazing!) prize for yourself. There was high scoring on the day.

Absolutely no bitterness from me as to the result. I had a great year, with some good takeaways, my game is improving and no one can take that away from me. There was a deserving winner and I'm just chuffed to have been in the running. Looking forward now to the jug (and a bit of craic in the bar afterwards!)

RoadRunner wrote: »
    Well technically your last shot was a shot of disgusting looking green gear in a glass at the residents bar at about 4:30am when I got back with pizza and savaged it all by myself. I don't know how or why you would order something like that all I know is I'm glad I pi$$ed in it while you weren't looking I hate you and never want to speak to you aghain.

Well at least we were still friends and you gave me half of your pizza :) It was pretty tasty actually... a good call :pac:
    Did I drink any of that green stuff???? I think I drank something in the bar.. I certainly wanted to, but then he wouldn't serve us any more so I just went to bed:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Well at least we were still friends and you gave me half of your pizza :) It was pretty tasty actually... a good call :pac:
    Did I drink any of that green stuff???? I think I drank something in the bar.. I certainly wanted to, but then he wouldn't serve us any more so I just went to bed:rolleyes:

That was your call on the pizza, smart move! I had nothing else back at the hotel, well I think I stole someone's pint of water and skulled it before bed. I think I turned in first of that last group. I don't remember you with a drink in your hand, but apparently yourself and fixie think my memory isn't top notch or something, don't recall exactly :)

Advertisement