Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Match Thread: Ireland v Wales [2.30pm 29/08/15 Aviva Stadium] Guinness Series

Options

Comments

Hagz wrote: »
    Found it. 31st minute. Welsh player sealed off the ball in the previous ruck.

Just had a look there. Why is that moment being discussed?

https://youtu.be/MDj7X-zCzZI?t=2107

• Registered Users Posts: 24,158 ✭✭✭✭phog

.ak wrote: »
    The reason he's fighting for a space (btw it's only us assuming he is fighting for a space) is because he's unfortunately coming back from another surgery.

I would have thought the reason might have something to do with some of DK, SZ, AT, KE, TB or JP being as good if not better than him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Just had a look there. Why is that moment being discussed?

https://youtu.be/MDj7X-zCzZI?t=2107

Because someone linked a gif of Sexton roaring at the TJ and I wanted to see what he was roaring about. Why was the link put up? I think Murray Kinsella was trying to connect Sexton roaring at the TJ with the Paul O'Connell penalty in the 60th minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

When on earth did this happen? I've gone through the first half twice now and I can't find it anywhere. I feel like I'm losing my marbles.

EDIT: Oh jesus. I just copped that 10 mins of the first half have been cut out of my recording.

Best ten minutes too

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

awec wrote: »
    That's exactly my point. I don't think he's actually as good as spoken about on here, otherwise his place in the 31 man squad wouldn't even be in question.

On the flip side of the coin, players like Dave Kearney are better than they are actually rated on here (or were rated in the past).

Felix Jones too seems to be a player who has been underrated in the past. Felix Jones is no world beater but unless I am mistaken he has more caps under Joe Schmidt than Luke Fitzgerald.

Bowe is not ahead of anyone on form, he's there on reputation and past performance, at the moment there are three or four wingers ahead of Bowe on form.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

molloyjh wrote: »
    He was pinged for clearing the Welshman out by the neck. He had him around the shoulders.

It was borderline at best, but Kinsella is querying the officials' motivation for making the call and that's ridiculous paranoid bullsh*t.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

phog wrote: »
    I would have thought the reason might have something to do with some of DK, SZ, AT, KE, TB or JP being as good if not better than him.

Well that might be your opinion. Another opinion is he's the incumbent left wing.

The truth is our opinions aren't worth anything, Fitzgerald could already be one of the guaranteed or he could not be in schmidt's plans. This whole "fighting for places" or "opportunity to play their way onto the plane" are just situations that are completely fabricated by us and the media.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

stephen_n wrote: »
    What is it with some Irish people, they just love the misery of failure, second defeat in two years (with probably only half a starting test side) and suddenly we are a **** team, with a limited game plan. Sometimes the BS posted online makes you seriously question, if the posters were dropped as babies. It was a WARMUP match, with 8 players starting who either won't start against top tier opposition, or won't start in the positions they're in and five more playing their first game in three months, that we lost by one score, perspective people ffs, it's not that difficult a concept.

you could say the same for the welsh lads....

Look, we've a seriously limited game plan, predicated upon murray box kicks which are 50/50 at any time.....I hope i'm wrong but lets see.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

awec wrote: »

Felix Jones too seems to be a player who has been underrated in the past. Felix Jones is no world beater but unless I am mistaken he has more caps under Joe Schmidt than Luke Fitzgerald.

i'd be taking a fit luke before felix jones anyday.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

digzy wrote: »

Look, we've a seriously limited game plan, predicated upon murray box kicks which are 50/50 at any time.....I hope i'm wrong but lets see.....

A limited game plan that has won back to back 6N, if it's so limited why isn't it being countered then?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Wang King

It was borderline at best, but Kinsella is querying the officials' motivation for making the call and that's ridiculous paranoid bullsh*t.

No, Kinsella is wondering if it was a borderline call and Sexton was roaring away at him, would that have swayed the ref to go against him... It's quite possible

Schmidt has a massive box of tricks. He had amazing assets at Leinster like BOD and Nacewa but overall he has a much stronger squad now and I suspect we will see more complete pwrformances from the France game onward.

I think Lancaster is probably similarly keeping England playing a limited game plan and they will be a different team in the WC.

Wales I think will be as they are and I don't think they will progress from that group.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Agreed. I'm actually surprised as I'd held Kinsella in higher regard than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

I believe Wales played Ospreys and Scarlets behind closed doors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

Wang King wrote: »
    No, Kinsella is wondering if it was a borderline call and Sexton was roaring away at him, would that have swayed the ref to go against him... It's quite possible

Just to clarify. When Sexton was roaring at the touch judge, the ref called a penalty for Ireland.

Kinsella is accusing the touch judge of storing up the resentment at being roared at and then calling a penalty against a completely different player later on in the game, to get back at Sexton/Ireland.

It's bananas.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Can you tell me what was correct about the call?
    Isnt it obvious what was correct.... Will I just repeat what referee signalled...
    Wang King wrote: »
    It isn't really really unlikely for a guy refereeing at this level to have a player shouting at him to alter their view. I would say maybe if we were discussing a very inexperienced referee at this level but we're not.

Isnt it obvious what was correct....

Not to me it wasn't. And it wasn't to Joe Schmidt, the commentators, Murray Kinsella and a plethora of others. So please, enlighten us won't you?

Will I just repeat what referee signalled...

Please don't. That wouldn't be constructive or logical.

Well that might be your opinion. Another opinion is he's the incumbent left wing.

The truth is our opinions aren't worth anything, Fitzgerald could already be one of the guaranteed or he could not be in schmidt's plans. This whole "fighting for places" or "opportunity to play their way onto the plane" are just situations that are completely fabricated by us and the media.

He's the incumbent simply because the previous incumbent was suffering from wear and tear or was Joe spinning lies.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,212 ✭✭✭✭Buer

He's the incumbent simply because the previous incumbent was suffering from wear and tear or was Joe spinning lies.

That would be the bloke who went with the squad as the 24th man....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Wang King

Isnt it obvious what was correct.... Will I just repeat what referee signalled...

It isn't really really unlikely for a guy refereeing at this level to have a player shouting at him to alter their view. I would say maybe if we were discussing a very inexperienced referee at this level but we're not.

As we saw from his performance, experience means nothing when you're having a bad game.

Buer wrote: »
    That would be the bloke who went with the squad as the 24th man....

Yes, hardly unusual. A guy has a few bumps and bruises, rest him to give a fresh guy a run but bring the incumbent with you in case a back pulls up in training.

Or do you subscribe to the theory that Joe told us lies on why Fitz was selected.

Yes, hardly unusual. A guy has a few bumps and bruises, rest him to give a fresh guy a run but bring the incumbent with you in case a back pulls up in training.

Or do you subscribe to the theory that Joe told us lies on why Fitz was selected.

Yes, because everything joe says is 100% true...

He's a coach of a professional team. He's hardly going to admit dropping someone just to satisfy the media. All the players have wear n tear.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,212 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Schmidt was asked directly about it and gave a soft answer saying he was "showing signs of wear and tear" and had "worked incredibly hard on his game".

It was a diplomatic answer. If he was genuinely out for physical reasons, he couldn't be the 24th man especially for a 6N decider where you hardly decide to give someone a rest if you reckon they're the best man for the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,051 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Would you have preferred if Schmidt came out in public and said "yeah, I've dropped Zebo because he was crap against Wales"?

Answer - no you'd have gone absolutely mental. Poor Simon, confidence destroyed, I am outraged, etc etc etc.

He's a professional coach, of course he sometimes doesn't tell the whole truth and nothing but the truth.

Yes, because everything joe says is 100% true...

He's a coach of a professional team. He's hardly going to admit dropping someone just to satisfy the media. All the players have wear n tear.

So when he says Jordi had a good game he's telling the truth but when he says he's resting Zebo because of wear and tear it's a lie.

Got you.

Would you have preferred if Schmidt came out in public and said "yeah, I've dropped Zebo because he was crap against Wales"?

Answer - no you'd have gone absolutely mental. Poor Simon, confidence destroyed, I am outraged, etc etc etc.

He's a professional coach, of course he sometimes doesn't tell the whole truth and nothing but the truth.

Well he couldn't say that because that would certainly be a lie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

Just to clarify. When Sexton was roaring at the touch judge, the ref called a penalty for Ireland.

Kinsella is accusing the touch judge of storing up the resentment at being roared at and then calling a penalty against a completely different player later on in the game, to get back at Sexton/Ireland.

It's bananas.

he said wondering hardly accusing

--Sexton remonstrating with Luke Pearce in the first half. Wonder if this subconsciously influenced call against POC? --

So when he says Jordi had a good game he's telling the truth but when he says he's resting Zebo because of wear and tear it's a lie.

Got you.

I never said anything about Jordi Murphy? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Well he couldn't say that because that would certainly be a lie.

but he wasn't great either.

Advertisement