Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Match Thread: Ireland v Wales [2.30pm 29/08/15 Aviva Stadium] Guinness Series

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,793 ✭✭✭✭bilston

digzy wrote: »
    I'd be inclined to agree with you.
    Gatand said earlier that we don't play much rugby....he's bloody right. I'd be shocked if we beat France. Even more so if we make a semi.

I'm not sure why you'd be shocked given they haven't beaten us in 5 attempts.

Anyway given these are warm up games I wouldn't be too concerned. They are fitness exercises more than anything else. You aren't going to give your playbook away in these matches. There will be more to come from Ireland. I'm not saying we'll change dramatically but we will play more rugby.

To be honest I'm pretty sure I could see signs of one or two things that were tried today but just didn't quite come off. The reasons for that would be that some of the players were rusty (especially Sexton) and that we had unfamiliar partnerships in action too.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Stheno wrote: »
    Did he not play in the first Welsh game?

You're right, he did. Had about 15 minutes at the end. Still strange not to have seen more of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,353 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

digzy wrote: »
    I'd be inclined to agree with you.
    Gatand said earlier that we don't play much rugby....he's bloody right. I'd be shocked if we beat France. Even more so if we make a semi.

Gatland, such the neutral observer, must be correct so.

I'm surprised. Two 6 Nations without playing any rugby. Good call by Warren, alright.

You ... <expletive deleted>.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Any highlights

From the Telly?

RTE player

http://www.rte.ie/player/ie/show/10461185/

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭croot

Any highlights

Ya. The standing ovation Paul O'Connell got at the end. That was about it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

croot wrote: »
    Ya. The standing ovation Paul O'Connell got at the end. That was about it.

Henderson :cool::cool::cool::cool:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

You're right, he did. Had about 15 minutes at the end. Still strange not to have seen more of him.

I reckon we'll see him next week, and he's on the plane regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,793 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

1 Cant stand losing to Wales
    2 Gatland...Really dislike that man
    3 Still tired and emotional
    4 Why do Ireland continually run it up the guts of the Welsh? Why Joe? Why?
    5 No injuries to our key players
    6 Hendo = Beast = Starting No4
    7 DK in RWC squad
    6 I really fear for Ireland if we have to chase a score*

*B2B 6N Champions

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Funk It

Joubert was a complete disgrace and whilst he got things wrong for Wales also, he made 3 - 4 fairly significant errors today that cost us penalty scoring opportunities

Tend to agree. In his defense, I think the he went to the TMO but gave a knock-on when Tipiric stole the ball close to the line. All of a sudden we were back 5m from our own line, thought that was massive.

Few forward passes missed, and not sure if I'd agree with some of the scrum calls.

Thankfully it was only a warmup game, so certainly not the end of the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Watching the match, the biggest issue for me was how badly we protected our own ball at rucks. Twice in a row Conor Murray was the first in to ruck over the ball and the second time we lost the ball. We seemed to have backs in the rucks more than forwards at times.

I'd like to see Demented Mole's ruck marks for that game because it seemed to me that a lot of our forwards went missing.

I agree that as a losing team we tend to look at the ref to blame, but the consistency annoyed me. POC's penalty was for around the neck but it looked more shoulders than neck. Later SOB got tackled in a stranglehold and it seemed like an age before Joubert gave the penalty whilst the stranglehold never let up.

The TMO decision giving a knock on against us when you could clearly see Tipuric rip the ball and carry it over the line was unforgiveable given the pictures we could all see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

What is it with some Irish people, they just love the misery of failure, second defeat in two years (with probably only half a starting test side) and suddenly we are a **** team, with a limited game plan. Sometimes the BS posted online makes you seriously question, if the posters were dropped as babies. It was a WARMUP match, with 8 players starting who either won't start against top tier opposition, or won't start in the positions they're in and five more playing their first game in three months, that we lost by one score, perspective people ffs, it's not that difficult a concept.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,158 ✭✭✭✭phog

stephen_n wrote: »
    What is it with some Irish people, they just love the misery of failure, second defeat in two years (with probably only half a starting test side) and suddenly we are a **** team, with a limited game plan. Sometimes the BS posted online makes you seriously question, if the posters were dropped as babies. It was a WARMUP match, with 8 players starting who either won't start against top tier opposition, or won't start in the positions they're in and five more playing their first game in three months, that we lost by one score, perspective people ffs, it's not that difficult a concept.

I accept it was a warmup game and I understand why some players were rusty but the performance yesterday was below par for that team and I bet they and Joe know it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭DrFloppy

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Probly the worse game I saw ireland play in the aviva was today's . Both teams were bad and there was no atmosphere.

England will win handy next week

If Italy pull a Argentina 2007 on it then we are in trouble if we don't improve. France are in a good place

Our international soccer counterparts are playing there final Euro 2016 qualifier vs Poland on the 11th October just after our potentially huge game vs France. Could be a dark day for irish sport

Hard to even reconcile that drivel with a response to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

phog wrote: »
    I accept it was a warmup game and I understand why some players were rusty but the performance yesterday was below par for that team and I bet they and Joe know it.

A below par performance given the respective strengths of the teams facing each other, to be honest I would think Wales have more to be concerned about after yesterday than we do. SOB and heaslip starting, Sexton playing anywhere near what he's capable of and that game would look very different. The performance and execution was poor at times, from a scratch team, it's not great but according to some of the cr@p being posted, all of a sudden we'll be lucky to make it out of our group, off the back of that one performance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭smiley_face

It really looked like Ireland refused to give away any training ground moves.
    We were missing a bit of a surprise here and there, but I suspect we have stuff in the works for the RWC if we need a moment of creativity from set pieces and attacking ball on opposition's 22.
    We did a lot of one-out passing mixed with back inside pops, which seemed like handling practice and a bit forced.
    Similarly there were some chip kicks in behind Wales' defensive line that didn't really create anything, seemed more like we were giving away possession and were willing to defend in their half.
    Joe mentioned that the ball was slow so it was nearly preferable to not have to carry it.
    The biggest surprise for me was POC not really giving the crowd anything to cheer, given it was his last Home game, but at his age he prob needs a few matches to get up to speed.
    Watching back the highlights and noticed Strauss had a few bad moments so wouldn't be surprised if the video analysis will count against him and put Cronin ahead again for bench cover.
    D Kearney and Henderson gave great effort, and they should start again against England IMO.
    Would move Henderson to 6 and start POC and Toner together, Ryan on bench.
    Expect a lot more from Sexton from now on, no more excuses about rustiness from here on in, we need a 10 to be way more accurate with his chip kicks and cross field kick passes and no more block downs or slices to touch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Was Geraldsie's problem not just one of bad boots ? Middle of the second half he started looking uncomfortable and massages the boots. The goes down looking injured but a water boy comes over and hands him another pair of the same yellow boots and Geraldsie puts them on. Still looks uncomfortable though and is fiddling with them. Then wants to come off but forced to stay on due to Earlsie's injury. Struggles, and messes with the boots again, then comes off anyway even though we had no real sub for him.
    What was wrong with those two pairs of yellow boots I want to know .

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

Was Geraldsie's problem not just one of bad boots ? Middle of the second half he started looking uncomfortable and massages the boots. The goes down looking injured but a water boy comes over and hands him another pair of the same yellow boots and Geraldsie puts them on. Still looks uncomfortable though and is fiddling with them. Then wants to come off but forced to stay on due to Earlsie's injury. Struggles, and messes with the boots again, then comes off anyway even though we had no real sub for him.

He was seen to say "my ****ing back" as he limped off. Joe said after that he has bruising on his glutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Utah_Saint

Wouldn't read much into the result. For all of Welsh domination they beat us by less than converted try. Gatland should be more worried. He said in paper that we are limited and wales held back. I really don't think they held back. I doubt wales have many more gears to go up. Welsh next gear is give it to Roberts and make him run really hard in a straight line.

Most Ireland players didnt do much wrong or right....just avg. I really cant see how Fitz will go ahead of earls, zebo or dk. Fitz has perfected the art of working his ass off without actually making a big influence on the result. If Joe wants his wingers to work hard, defend well and not score or provide and offensive threat then Fitz is his man. otherwise for me its earls all day. Just my personal opinion..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Utah_Saint wrote: »
    Wouldn't read much into the result. For all of Welsh domination they beat us by less than converted try. Gatland should be more worried. He said in paper that we are limited and wales held back. I really don't think they held back. I doubt wales have many more gears to go up. Welsh next gear is give it to Roberts and make him run really hard in a straight line.

Most Ireland players didnt do much wrong or right....just avg. I really cant see how Fitz will go ahead of earls, zebo or dk. Fitz has perfected the art of working his ass off without actually making a big influence on the result. If Joe wants his wingers to work hard, defend well and not score or provide and offensive threat then Fitz is his man. otherwise for me its earls all day. Just my personal opinion..

Fitzgerald against Scotland in the six nations was probably the most offensive threat shown by any of our wingers in any game in the tournament

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Probly the worse game I saw ireland play in the aviva was today's . Both teams were bad and there was no atmosphere.

England will win handy next week

If Italy pull a Argentina 2007 on it then we are in trouble if we don't improve. France are in a good place

Our international soccer counterparts are playing there final Euro 2016 qualifier vs Poland on the 11th October just after our potentially huge game vs France. Could be a dark day for irish sport

PTH2009 in doom and gloom shocker.

A bit of context is required. I know optimism isn't your thing (to put it very, very mildly) but that was a warm up game for a competition where we don't need to hit our peak for another 4-5 weeks. It wasn't a full strength squad, we weren't utilising our full attacking game and a few lads were understandably rusty. It's early days yet so let's leave the panic button alone for now shall we and set the hyperbole and melodrama to one side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

awec wrote: »
    Eh?

Jordi Murphy was completely anonymous. He had an awful game. He definitely isn't 7 cover.

And you're basing that over one poor game where most players were crap?

People are reading into these warmups too much and have short memories IMO.

Cramp then strained his glute. Don't have a rashers what your on about with the boots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

I think it's more that whenever we lose, we start looking for the decisions that cost us the game.

We haven't lost many games under Joe but all the defeats, bar Australia, have been put down to dodgy refereeing. It's not really plausible.

Nah I'm not looking for decisions that cost us. The decisions wasn't outrageously stupid because we lost, it was outrageously stupid because it was outrageously stupid. And the Phillips wrong ball and Ferris YC were similarly outrageous.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Also, regarding Ireland's attacking play with whoever is 13...

13 isn't a pivotal role people. People are stuck in the BOD age, where bod was able to make things happen on the outside channel because he was always guaranteed a defender to fix, but the outside centre channel is not where the attacking move stems. People blame fitz or Payne for our lack of attack. It's the half backs that dictate the attack, they call the moves and they utilise the centres in said moves.

Fitzgerald was always going to be on defensive duties yesterday. We were never going to utilise our backline and show our hand. But when we did try some moves Fitzgerald's positioning and movement was perfect. That's all you can ask of him, because let's be frank he's at best 3rd choice 13 but he'll need to be up to speed there if he has to step in for a game.

I keep reading comments like "I'm not onboard the fitz hype train" etc., and I wonder... What hype train? He certainly isn't as hyped as the likes of Zebo. And I'm not going to write an essay on what I see him in.. But I'll just say this; no other Irish back bar BOD has the same awareness of the game. I wouldn't be surprised to see if Luke tops the rucking point for yesterday's game. I lost count on the amount of ball he secured. But people aren't impressed by that. That's fine, they want to see flashy bod moves... Fine. Or if he's on the wing they want to see loads of tries and ooh-aha moments and heel flicks. Thankfully joe sees things different. What fitz brings is something that benefits those around him, he'll almost always take the right option. He's step and handling is massively beneficial to the team. That pass in the 2nd half to sexton was far more than just a good looking pass, his awareness of the situation is the thing that stands out there.

I think people are expecting fireworks from him, and from time to time that happens, but his real strength lies in the work he does for others, and his ability to play across the park with comfort. And right now, that's what joe is looking for. He wants his backs to be complete rugby players; to ruck, to tackle, to clear, to compete for everything as well as the rest of the stuff backs do.

By the sounds of it he had his ticket on the plane. I just hope this injury doesn't change things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

Totally agree ak. I said yesterday that Fitz was Payne-like in his performance at 13, and you're dead right that he did everything that Joe wants from a 13. It wasn't flashy but it was solid and mistake-free.

If it is a call between Fitz and Earls, I'd back Fitz every time, but I think both will go.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Pol O Muineachan

It really looked like Ireland refused to give away any training ground moves.
    We were missing a bit of a surprise here and there, but I suspect we have stuff in the works for the RWC if we need a moment of creativity from set pieces and attacking ball on opposition's 22.
    We did a lot of one-out passing mixed with back inside pops, which seemed like handling practice and a bit forced.
    Similarly there were some chip kicks in behind Wales' defensive line that didn't really create anything, seemed more like we were giving away possession and were willing to defend in their half.
    Joe mentioned that the ball was slow so it was nearly preferable to not have to carry it.
    The biggest surprise for me was POC not really giving the crowd anything to cheer, given it was his last Home game, but at his age he prob needs a few matches to get up to speed.
    Watching back the highlights and noticed Strauss had a few bad moments so wouldn't be surprised if the video analysis will count against him and put Cronin ahead again for bench cover.
    D Kearney and Henderson gave great effort, and they should start again against England IMO.
    Would move Henderson to 6 and start POC and Toner together, Ryan on bench.
    Expect a lot more from Sexton from now on, no more excuses about rustiness from here on in, we need a 10 to be way more accurate with his chip kicks and cross field kick passes and no more block downs or slices to touch.

Agree with nearly all of the above points!
    Would have Henderson and POC together though, with DT on bench

• Registered Users Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

errlloyd wrote: »
    Madigan is our only in form 10, this is a concerning state of affairs.

Premature.

Sexton played 1100 minutes in 14 months, and no game for the last 3 months. England, Canada, Romania is the ideal curve to get up to speed.

Schmidts rugby might have been conservative yesterday, but look at the last 2 years. When we were least expecting it he can flick a switch and devastate pretty much any team. What we saw yesterday was a training session. Powder is still dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭typhoony

Sexton played a different game to what we've been used to, first game back and he was'nt taking the ball into contact a definite sign that he was being protected and i think it had a knockon affect on how we played offensively in the backline

same as Murray, Schmidt is shrewd and knows what preparation each player needs, obviosly D. Kearney and to a lesser extent Henderson got the message to put themselves about. the game confirmed again that Henderson is a beast and can't be left out of the team although Toner\O'Connell has to be the second row axis to get our set-piece stable again, which means POM is the player to lose out with Henderson taking the 6 position.

• Administrators Posts: 53,652 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

.ak wrote: »
    And you're basing that over one poor game where most players were crap?

People are reading into these warmups too much and have short memories IMO.

I am basing the fact he was awful yesterday on the one game yesterday in fairness. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

molloyjh wrote: »
    we don't need to hit our peak for another 4-5 weeks.

if we play like that against italy then its time to worry. until then there is zero need to worry.

Advertisement