Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Match Thread: Ireland v Wales [2.30pm 29/08/15 Aviva Stadium] Guinness Series

Options

Comments

awec wrote: »
    I am basing the fact he was awful yesterday on the one game yesterday in fairness. :D

Schmidt doesn't agree with you. Name checked Jordi as having had a good game.

• Administrators Posts: 53,652 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

.ak wrote: »
    I keep reading comments like "I'm not onboard the fitz hype train" etc., and I wonder... What hype train? He certainly isn't as hyped as the likes of Zebo. And I'm not going to write an essay on what I see him in.. But I'll just say this; no other Irish back bar BOD has the same awareness of the game. I wouldn't be surprised to see if Luke tops the rucking point for yesterday's game. I lost count on the amount of ball he secured. But people aren't impressed by that. That's fine, they want to see flashy bod moves... Fine. Or if he's on the wing they want to see loads of tries and ooh-aha moments and heel flicks. Thankfully joe sees things different. What fitz brings is something that benefits those around him, he'll almost always take the right option. He's step and handling is massively beneficial to the team. That pass in the 2nd half to sexton was far more than just a good looking pass, his awareness of the situation is the thing that stands out there.
    Ah come on now. You can't say what hype train and then say in the next sentence that only BOD has the same awareness of the game as him.

If he were that good he wouldn't be fighting for a squad place behind a guy whose best position is full back. If he were that good he'd be nailed on as our 13 and wouldn't be being tried out in different positions to see where he can realistically cover at this level.

If he does make it in the 31 (no guarantee) there's a good chance he doesn't even make it into our first choice 23 depending on who else travels.

I am not expecting fireworks, nor saying that he's a bad player (he is a very good player), but he is over rated (along with a few others)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Wang King

Probably just to boost his confidence and take the journalistic heat off him
    ;(

Wang King wrote: »
    Probably just to boost his confidence and take the journalistic heat off him
    ;(

Probably because he had a good game, was a top tackler etc..

Oh no, Schmidt just wanted to cheer him up on national TV. Jesus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

If he were that good he wouldn't be fighting for a squad place behind a guy whose best position is full back. If he were that good he'd be nailed on as our 13 and wouldn't be being tried out in different positions to see where he can realistically cover at this level.

This sort of assumes Joe rates him the same as boards.ie, but we've seen so many instances where that simply isn't the case. I presume the "guy whose best position is full back" is Earls, but I don't know why people are so sure he is ahead of Fitzgerald?

• Advertisement

Probably because he had a good game, was a top tackler etc..

Oh no, Schmidt just wanted to cheer him up on national TV. Jesus.

He definitely looked like he needed a cuddle ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭case885

This sort of assumes Joe rates him the same as boards.ie, but we've seen so many instances where that simply isn't the case. I presume the "guy whose best position is full back" is Earls, but I don't know why people are so sure he is ahead of Fitzgerald?

I think he meant Payne.
    Whichever of the two is seen as back up 13 will go imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Ah come on now. You can't say what hype train and then say in the next sentence that only BOD has the same awareness of the game as him.

If he does make it in the 31 (no guarantee) there's a good chance he doesn't even make it into our first choice 23 depending on who else travels.

I am not expecting fireworks, nor saying that he's a bad player (he is a very good player), but he is over rated (along with a few others)

There is a chance he doesn't make it into our first choice 23, but there's also a chance he starts, as he did in our last game of any significance, there are a lot of good players and a lot of tight calls. If this is a discussion on his ability, while he is currently behind Payne as first choice 13, I don't think he is lacking in the ability to be our first choice 13, his performance yesterday was pretty much exactly what we saw from Payne through the six nations.

case885 wrote: »
    I think he meant Payne.
    Whichever of the two is seen as back up 13 will go imo.

Oh right, that makes more sense. My bad.

Tox56 wrote: »
    There is a chance he doesn't make it into our first choice 23, but there's also a chance he starts, as he did in our last game of any significance, there are a lot of good players and a lot of tight calls. If this is a discussion on his ability, while he is currently behind Payne as first choice 13, I don't think he is lacking in the ability to be our first choice 13, his performance yesterday was pretty much exactly what we saw from Payne through the six nations.

There is every chance in our strongest 23 that he is not there.

Trimble, Bowe and maybe even Dave Kearney are ahead of him on the wings. The fact he is still being considered at centre suggests we are still trying to see where he can cover as opposed to him having a wing nailed down.

Payne is ahead of him in the centre.

He has no guarantee at all of being #23. It could just as easily be Earls.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I don't think Fitzgerald is considered solely as a centre. Schmidt mentioned that both him and Earls were getting gametime on the wing and at 13 in the team announcement so my guess was both are going for the same spot in the squad. The wing and also back up 13.

That's exactly my point. I don't think he's actually as good as spoken about on here, otherwise his place in the 31 man squad wouldn't even be in question.

On the flip side of the coin, players like Dave Kearney are better than they are actually rated on here (or were rated in the past).

Felix Jones too seems to be a player who has been underrated in the past. Felix Jones is no world beater but unless I am mistaken he has more caps under Joe Schmidt than Luke Fitzgerald.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,212 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Stats updated now for yesterday's game (which don't take into account a hell of a lot of elements of play).

Players who are under scrutiny:

DK: 61m made, 0 clean breaks, 1 defender beaten, 1 offload, 0 turned over possession, 3 tackles made, 0 missed.
    LF: 18m made, 0 clean breaks, 0 defenders beaten, 0 offloads, 0 turned over possession, 8 tackles made, 0 missed.
    KE: 22m made, 0 clean breaks, 0 defenders beaten, 0 offloads, 4 possessions turned over, 6 tackles made, 1 missed.
    NW: all zeroes aside from 4 tackles made and 2 missed but can't really judge a prop on those stats!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,212 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Game is up on YouTube now. Well worth watching again. Has changed my initial perception of a couple of lads who were actually everywhere, stuck into a lot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDj7X-zCzZI

That's exactly my point. I don't think he's actually as good as spoken about on here, otherwise his place in the 31 man squad wouldn't even be in question.

On the flip side of the coin, players like Dave Kearney are better than they are actually rated on here (or were rated in the past).

Felix Jones too seems to be a player who has been underrated in the past. Felix Jones is a world beater but unless I am mistaken he has more caps under Joe Schmidt than Luke Fitzgerald.

I forgive your obvious typo
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

The reason he's fighting for a space (btw it's only us assuming he is fighting for a space) is because he's unfortunately coming back from another surgery.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭kuang1

Actually guys if you listen back to the interview, he name checks Jordi, but immediately moves on. I remember thinking "Jordi Murphy? Really Joe?", and when I listened back again I actually wondered if it was actually a slip of the tongue on his part!! (I know...how many slips of the tongue is this guy guilty of so far...none?!)

https://twitter.com/Murray_Kinsella/status/638003569308905472

Well? Has Murray Kinsella got a point?

No he doesn't, happens all the time. Ref's just had a bad day at the office.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

No.

• Advertisement

No.

Jonny never stops remonstrating with every ref in every game.

Tin foil hat stuff. POC broke a law that the refs have been told to crack down on. End of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

POC didn't break the law btw. It was an incorrect call. Nothing wrong with stating that.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,051 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Is there a clip of this POC incident anywhere? I saw it during the game and didn't think it was a penalty but would like to see it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

No.

Jonny never stops remonstrating with every ref in every game.

Tin foil hat stuff. POC broke a law that the refs have been told to crack down on. End of.

He was pinged for clearing the Welshman out by the neck. He had him around the shoulders.

When on earth did this happen? I've gone through the first half twice now and I can't find it anywhere. I feel like I'm losing my marbles.

EDIT: Oh jesus. I just copped that 10 mins of the first half have been cut out of my recording.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Hagz wrote: »
    When on earth did this happen? I've gone through the first half twice now and I can't find it anywhere. I feel like I'm losing my marbles.

Looks like maybe just after POM and Fitzgerald won that penalty... Not sure exactly when that was

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

No. He doesn't.
    Hagz wrote: »
    POC didn't break the law btw. It was an incorrect call. Nothing wrong with stating that.
    He did. What was incorrect about the call?

He did. What was incorrect about the call?

Can you tell me what was correct about the call?

• Advertisement

Looks like maybe just after POM and Fitzgerald won that penalty... Not sure exactly when that was

Found it. 31st minute. Welsh player sealed off the ball in the previous ruck.

Advertisement